Equality In Sport

Just looking through some tri's and I noticed this, and in this modern age of equality etc, can't quite work out how they can justify charging males more than females to enter. Do men eat more on the run, or is it because we (generally) need larger t-shirts at the end ?

/members/images/427252/Gallery/equality.PNG

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Someone taking the P? same race, same price for all, that's the rule!
  • Even more expensive for blokes on the Sunday!!

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

There is a big push to get women into tri, WTC are giving thousands in grants to US tri clubs to encourage more and more women into tri. Its not right but then again niether are having 50 men pros in Kona but not women.

• Simo429 wrote (see)

There is a big push to get women into tri, WTC are giving thousands in grants to US tri clubs to encourage more and more women into tri. Its not right but then again niether are having 50 men pros in Kona but not women.

But is £3 difference (more on other racesdays) really going to be the deal breaker to a lady entering or not ? Even a females sense of bargain hunting surely doesn't extend to ...

"Well, I was going to enter the London Tri, but it's £95 so I don't think I will"

"Oh wait, it's only £92 for females ... WOW bargain !!..... I'm IN !!!! "

• Are ladies cheaper to insureimage

My favourite nightclub in Leeds used to let ladies in for free and charge the blokes, granted that was in the 80's and times have moved on, I thinkimage

• I've never noticed a difference in price.  Not even in the 80s nightclubs....

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• Fe ing Madness wrote (see)

Are ladies cheaper to insureimage

My favourite nightclub in Leeds used to let ladies in for free and charge the blokes, granted that was in the 80's and times have moved on, I thinkimage

At least they let both in.  Women were not allowed in the bar in working mens clubs*

*except to serve behind the bar of course.  I may have been physically ejected from one or two whilst trying out their no female policy.

• This looks like the organisers are slightly more keen to have female entrants than male. Not fair, but that's the way of the world.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    "Not fair, but that's the way of the world."

Don't think thats actually correct, don't we have laws that say all must be treated equally, Rodeoflip?

They could make it a Ladies only race I suppose, charge what they like then, but even that I find unpalatable - discrimination agains men really, and we're downtrodden enough.image
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Positive discrimination is allowed

• Surely genuine equality would require M&F combined age groups image
  • How odd.  I'm usually all for a bit of feminism and positive discrimination for women but I can't see the rationale for that at all.

Re nightclubs - there were still ones who did free entry for women and men pay in the late 90s, Fe ing Madness, not sure about the 2000s.

Re working men's clubs - the one my Grandads and Dad were members off had a back bar which women were allowed in.  I think that may have only been on Friday and Saturday nights.  I presume the women were on allowed to drink halves and were only allowed to speak when spoken toimage

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Some golf clubs still don't allow female members

• My golf club doesn't allow women members, in common with several other local clubs. However, there is a women-only club at the end of the road (and there are more women-only golf clubs than men-only in the UK).

A few years ago Michelle Wie played in one of the "men's" competitions and struck a blow for equality. She was then being disqualified from cheating, but I remember all the male pros trying to PC and say the right things when asked - best response was Padraig Harrington who said that he thought equality was a great idea, as he really fancied his chances in the Women's Open that year.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip wrote (see)

A few years ago Michelle Wie played in one of the "men's" competitions and struck a blow for equality. She was then being disqualified from cheating, but I remember all the male pros trying to PC and say the right things when asked - best response was Padraig Harrington who said that he thought equality was a great idea, as he really fancied his chances in the Women's Open that year.

Lindsey Vonn wants to race against the men in downhill skiing.

• Also, if memory serves, wasn't there talk in the last year or so of a lady taking one of the drives in F1 (obviously without the having to park it in the garage bit  image  )

• Booo wrote (see)

Also, if memory serves, wasn't there talk in the last year or so of a lady taking one of the drives in F1 (obviously without the having to park it in the garage bit  image  ) 

There was, but they stopped the idea when they realised that she'd have an unfair advantage over the male drivers by not requiring a sat nav to find her way round the circuit.

• Women racing against men is all well and good and bring it on, but equality is just that - it makes it difficult to defend competition being uneven, e.g.- if women want to play golf on men-only courses, then they should play off the same tees and pay the same amount. Just because they're not as good is no reason to have forward tees, by that logic I should play off tees halfway up the fairway!

Anyway, still don't see why a running race should charge less for one group than another, whether it's based on sex, colour, whatever. Just saying that people seem to accept this kind of discrimination when it's male / female, wonder how it would go down if, say, people of specific ethnic groups were charged a different price?

• Booo, it's alright, there's no reverse gear anyway, the mechanics sort out the parkingimage

• senidM wrote (see)
    Someone taking the P? same race, same price for all, that's the rule!

senidM wrote (see)
    They could make it a Ladies only race I suppose, charge what they like then, but even that I find unpalatable - discrimination agains men really, and we're downtrodden enough.image

I believe the OP has taken this from the A J Bell Tri website. where there is a women's only race.

There is also a mixed wave but it's now sold out so I cannot tell whether the price was the same for both men and women, however looking at the mixed waves for the other distances the price doesn't differentiate on gender