The Spine

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Spine lead group now only about 7 miles behind the Challenger back markers.  They must be shifting.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

#2 and #3 have just taken a massive tarmac short cut.  Not sure why?  

I think #34 is going to provide quite a lot of entertainment - he's taken quite a few unofficial routes already!  Keep going, Alan.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

16 retired out of 113 starters so far.  

I thought Pavel and Eugeni would rest at Tan Hill.  I know I would!  But they're motoring on having taken no rest since the start at 0830 on Sunday.  Presumably aiming to rest at Middleton?

Eoin on the other hand had 4 hours' rest at Hawes and is now moving very fast.  I still tip him to win.

Leading lady Carol has moved straight through Hawes as well, and is 6th overall.

• PAvel and Eugeni have to take their time penalty at Middleton, I think, so they are going to have to spend some time there, perhaps that's why? They are just arriving there now, so will be interesting to see how long they stay.

I feel it was a bit harsh on Eoin, there way the penalty is done, so now I'm supporting him for the win! There was a 4 hr gap in times for 2&3 vs Eoin at Tan Hill- that's  a lot to make up! ( although I suppose he has a good long while to do so).

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I wasn't aware of penalties?!  Because of taking a short cut?

I wonder if anyone knows what the (S) means after people's names?  I can't figure it out - there seems to be a lot of them.

Taking about being slow on the uptake - I didn't realise Sean on here is #80.  Come on, mate - keep going.

• I think (S) means supported. - this is just a guess. Sean looks to be doing well. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Pavel was nearly going to get another penalty - he went straight by Alston CP but has turned back to it (by a cross country route).  Eoin seems to be struggling a bit.  Tom Hollins just behind him has caught up about 11 miles and is really motoring.  Then a massive gap to a group of five with no signal - so they could be anywhere.

31 retired now out of original 113.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Oops - Eugeni making the same mistake.  I believe it is a bit foggy out there ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Quite amusing that #19 Josep Coma is down as 'not moving'.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Positions 5-9 seem to be all in the pub in Dufton.  Can't blame them.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Another reason to be 'not moving'!   Although #43 has now managed to get out of the door and is setting off into the mist and darkness up to Cross Fell.  Pavel P is just setting out after 3h40 rest at Alston.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching, or is it just me?  I'm supposed to be working ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

#61 is just finishing his Pennine Journey instead of the Pennine Way!  The sort of thing that would happen to me.

• I'm watching too, TR, but on a ski trip in Canade, so my times are a bit odd- just got back from an afternoon on the slopes, caught up on the daily video update, and selling down to another evening of dot watching!.........Its about half past 5 in the afternoon here.

See what you mean about 61- looks like he lost a couple of places there.

• Watching lots image 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sean seems to have got himself involved with a happy group and making good progress up into the high fells.

I don't know how people's feet are holding out with such wet underfoot conditions. Hints please!  The facebook video of #54 Tom H running near Hadrian's Wall defies belief - how can you be running along so comfortably as that after 190 miles and practically no sleep?!  (He has at this moment just caught up with Pavel P and Eugeni S at Bellingham.)

• No idea about the feet- that must be one of the most important things for a race of this length. They didn't say why Eoin retired- was it due to the fall he took near the start?. Tom now within touching distance of the leading 2- it just depends whether he stops for any time at this CP, I suppose.

Good to see Sean still going strong.

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭
    tricialitt wrote (see)

No idea about the feet- that must be one of the most important things for a race of this length. They didn't say why Eoin retired- was it due to the fall he took near the start?. Tom now within touching distance of the leading 2- it just depends whether he stops for any time at this CP, I suppose.

Good to see Sean still going strong.

He cracked a rib when he fell, but carried on as he was in 3rd place, decided to retire when he was overtaken.

Eoin Keith (IRL) in good spirits despite DNF at Alston. Confirmed fractured rib from a fall on the first night. He continued on anyway. "I wasn't going to retire in a podium spot," he said. But once Tom Hollins (GBR) passed him he decided to drop.

• exciting stuff now!!!!

Bit selfish to finish while I am in bed though...

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

Yep, nowt between them.

I was wondering when they would finish.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Tom H now in the lead by about 500m but surely will have to rest at Byrness?  The other two will most likely carry straight on - they had 4hr rest at Bellingham - for a dawn finish.

All three took a road route after leaving Bellingham.  Will they all get penalties, or is it a directive from the organisers?

Tom was funny on facebook video.  "I'm aiming for a sub-100 finish."  And he didn't mean a sub-100 minute half marathon!

100 hours of running seems inconceivable to me, but then so did 24 hours only a few years ago ...

Another retirement, Quintanilla, he who did the long diversion yesterday.  Now 37 retirements out of the starting 113.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, I got that wrong.  It's Tom who has gone straight through Byrness and Pavel and Eugeni resting ...

C'mon, Tom.  Can't remember when you last slept but you'll need to keep awake for a while yet.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

People, Tom Hollins is not a man - he is a machine.  Just been looking at his tracking and he has not spent more than about 20 minutes at ANY of the CPs.  He has not rested at a single one of them.

?!

He is supported so perhaps he has had a kip in a camper van en route somewhere.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Tom's going to get his sub-100.  Less than 3 miles to go.  What a driven bloke.

Sean is one of the first of his group out of Alston and pressing on.  Keep going, mate.

• For some reason I thought they would finish last night (268 not 248)

He had a good rest Monday night after Hawes and some on Tues as well.

Looks like he got the stratgy bang on.

Watching the tracker nowat work. Amazing stuff.

Would love to try it in a couple of years. Hope it is still going and doesnt get watered down.

Would have to be winter I think, just to get the full experience.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Tom nearly there.  #3 is in big trouble!!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Why did he go down there?!  Dead on his feet I expect and I think his buddy Pavel has been doing most of the nav ...

• Is he allowed to carry on and take the next left?

• Yes, navigation was mentioned to not be a strong point

All the time in the world to keep third but that looks like quite a climb to get back on track!

Not moving - Maybe some support down there?

• Tracker looks like its behind.

Tom has a finish time

What a run