Your ready made (nearly) Christmas Book list for runners

2»

Comments

• This Mum Runs, Jo Pavey.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Great list! Thanks for re-posting. I would add the next book by Adharanand Finn : The Way of the Runner which I'm currently half way through. 

•   Comrades Marathon - The Ultimate Human Race - John Cameron-Dow
  • Someone suggested "Quick Strength for Runners" by Jeff Horowitz, which is as good a reason as any to send this thread back up where it belongs!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I came across an article in the Guardian listing five novels for runners, worth reading as it gives a synopsis and flavour text of each of the books it lists; the link: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/jun/18/five-novels-every-runner-should-read.

The novels listed that have not been included on this thread:

- Running: A Novel by Jean Echenoz (translated by Linda Coverdale) - This is a fictionalised biography of Emil Zátopek.

- Running The Rift by Naomi Benaron - Set amidst the Rwandan Genocide, this is the tale of a clash between politics and athletics.

- The Other by David Guterson - Where running is used as a form of escapism from traumatic life experiences.

- Brewster by Mark Slouka - This novel centres around a high school athlete against the backdrop of Vietnam, and has the character question the importance of running.

The last novel on the list has been mentioned previously on this thread.

- Once A Runner by John L. Parker, Jr. - Effectively a cult classic in runners' circles; it follows a collegiate athlete and his commitment to running and the sacrifices he makes to train.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Hopefully there's one or two books there that will make your Christmas list, they are all fictional novels so if you prefer training manuals, non-fiction or biographies, you may want to give them a miss; but for those who like fiction, there may be something in these books for you. image

Have a good day. image
  • Thanks OL: those four "new" novels are going on my "want" list! "Brewster" might be particularly appropriate given that that is what a couple of my athletes call me!
    Must say I really enjoyed "Once a Runner".

• AH: Yes, Once A Runner is a great novel.  Lost my original copy after lending it out, but thanks to a kind benefactor ( image ), I own it once more, and have reread it, and re-experienced the wonderful running prose.

Have a good day. image
  • Running Beyond: Epic Ultra, Trail and Skyrunning Races
    By Ian Corless

Running Man by Charlie Engel

Don’t stop me now, Vassos Alexander

Nell McAndrew’s Guide to Running

Run or Die, Kilian Jornet

Footnotes, Vybarr Cregan-Reid

All of the above have recently been recommended to me by a book shop owner!

• For fiction, try Adrian Walker, The End of the World Running Club. It's turns around the fact that it's useful to be an ultrarunner if it should happen that the UK is wiped out by asteroid impacts.

• Steve, already mentioned it back in November (see above). Great read though! image

• Bob glover: competitive runners handbook
  • Bob Glover is already on the list! See top post on page 2, immediately below JOSS!

Currently enjoying Running the Rift, Naomi Benaron: novel with a running theme set in war-torn Rwanda.

• Just thought I would resurrect this thread as it is that time of year again!

re OL's post above, I read "The Other" and quite enjoyed it, although not a lot of running in it; "Brewster", on the other hand, was a struggle! "Running the Rift" very good indeed!