Pirate DIY Half Ironman 2017.....

So for those of you familiar with the fantastic event know as the pirate DIY Half Ironman which has taken place over a number of years hosted by the wonderful SA family, will know that this was the last year of it's running in Macclesfield, however there has been quite a bit of chatter between a few of us and it's 'kind of' been agreed that I (with a little help from some ship mates) will be taking on the DIY for 2017 (and hopefully beyond). Details are still being very much finalised and worked out but the currently plan is.... New HQ - north Staffordshire/Cheshire border Saturday 29th April 2017 - social gathering Sunday 30th April 2017 day 1 Monday 1st May 2017 day 2 It will hopefully all be worked out that the standard half distance can be achieved and there will be options for those who want to do shorter DIY style, the bike course is unlikely to be the likes of SA's amazing 12 laps of "pexhell" but i can assure you the new route will be "challenging". The DIY is just as much about the social gathering as it is about the 'race' so it would be great to get faces old and new together for a proper pirate party! I will gather information about local accommodation etc but we do have on site camping availableimage
Tagged:

Comments

• So for those of you familiar with the fantastic event know as the pirate DIY Half Ironman which has taken place over a number of years hosted by the wonderful SA family, will know that this was the last year of it's running in Macclesfield, however there has been quite a bit of chatter between a few of us and it's 'kind of' been agreed that I (with a little help from some ship mates) will be taking on the DIY for 2017 (and hopefully beyond).

Details are still being very much finalised and worked out but the currently plan is.... New HQ - north Staffordshire/Cheshire border Saturday 29th April 2017 - social gathering,  Sunday 30th April 2017 day 1 Monday 1st May 2017 day 2 It will hopefully all be worked out that the standard half distance can be achieved and there will be options for those who want to do shorter DIY style,

The bike course is unlikely to be the likes of SA's amazing 12 laps of "pexhell" but i can assure you the new route will be "challenging". The DIY is just as much about the social gathering as it is about the 'race' so it would be great to get faces old and new together for a proper pirate party!

I will gather information about local accommodation etc but we do have on site camping availableimage

• chip butties are a must.everything else is optional

• So looking forward to this! I will actually be able to make it image

• Thanks Seren, completely forgot that iPads remove all forms of line spacing!
  • Chip butties are compulsory - I'm in
  • Yay! I will try not to crash this year!

• Glad we've managed to get something sorted, would have been a sad loss! Looking forward to it, and also looking forward to some recce rides and runs and planning sessions in the pub...
  • the pirate DIY at the Assassins house has been the highlight of my racing calendar for a few years now...

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

We have had 5 wonderful years of hosting this.  But after lots of discussions with SA, "shall we, shan't we" , we came to the conclusion that it had run its course and it was time to either end it or let someone else take up the reigns and take the event forward image    We are so glad that the Pirate DIY will continue and be part of peoples racing year.  We will be there in some sort of capacity image

Littleclown .... do you have a chip pan? image

• 'tis in the diary..... sound like a lot of fun!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • i read that as dairy... and was thinking who keeps a chip pan in teh dairy... image

• MandMsMandMs ✭✭✭

Great well done We shall see everyone soon

• Yay - date in the dairy! image

• if anyone has any spare time and wants some practice at web development

I do own

www.piratediyhalfim.co.uk

Just never got round to doing anything with it

• Yippee!!  In the dairy too  image

I can definitely echo Seren's comments - the DIY half has been the highlight of the year, so thanks again to the wonderful SAs for 5 awesome years.  So happy this is continuing.

• Oh and Little Clown, can I bagsy a camping spot please? image

• SA, I've got the time and although the skills are rusty, I've currently got the time too...
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

just seen this and it has made my weekendimageimage

• Happy days...can someone sort the weather this year? SA was slacking in 2016!

• Great stuff, hope to be there.

Thanks to the SA's for 5 wonderful DIY Half events, it will be sadly missed. Thanks for your time and efforts guys.image

• The SA family did an outstanding job hosting the Pirate DIY Half, definitely going above and beyond image   Easily as good as any big event I've ever done image It was great to be part of it image Thank you image

Good luck to all involved with the new venture image

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Bumping up.

Littleclown can you post some suggested hotels nearby please.

• I am tempted. image

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• How are the plans coming along Lou?

• Adding this back in as it got missed in the migration - we'd like to come up for the Saturday and Sunday. Can offer one competitor and two marshals for the Sunday, if that is OK.
  • Right finally got in to the new forum so going to bump this up and then will post more updates about the plans and local accommodation later... but this is still going ahead and I have booked the pool slots for Sunday/Monday so if no one makes it I will be having a very expensive private swim  :o
  • I will be there..getting drunk and revising probably as i cant see me being fit enough to run  :neutral:
  • I'll be there, probably at least swim and cycle, probably not bother running as it's not long before Grafman. That and help out with whatever (even if that's just helping Seren get drunk)
  • LittleclownLittleclown ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

OK folks the plan so far..

Tradition as per previous DIY events to meet up the night before, this isn’t compulsory but a great way to meet a few fellow Pirates and catch up with old friends, this will be Saturday 29th April (location tbc but likely to be pub close to race HQ)

HQ – Pines Lane, Biddulph Park, Staffordshire ST8 7SP

Day 1 – Sunday 30th April

Meet at HQ from 7.30am, breakfast rolls for these who want them and plenty of faffing time for those that don’t, chance to sort out small bag to be transferred to T1 and set up T2 area. Pre-race briefing to take place by 8.30 then ride down to the swim / start which is 3 miles away

Swimming pool is booked for our private use from 9-10am

Then T1 will be as close to the pool as we can make it, I am just negotiating the use of an area for those wanting to go straight out but changing rooms can be used for those that want to do their hair/put make up on ;p

Ride to commence – route is still being finalised and will be tested out, plan is for it to be route signed, have options to allow for shorter distances and a fully challenging half route (once firmed up more details on profile and route files will be made available)

T2 will be back at race HQ, the run route is currently multi lapped but no further than 2 miles to the feed station, slightly undulating but plenty of support each time you pass the feed station

Finish at HQ, shower change and enjoy the evening with a trip to the pub

Day 2 – Monday 1st May

Repeat of Day 1                                                                                              

Pool is again booked 9-10am

For those not rushing off then camping is available/continue the gathering but farewell to others till the next gathering J

Next will be planning the official race kit so details on that to follow!

• LittleclownLittleclown ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Accommodation options:

Currently have lots of camping available but unfortunately caravan/campervan options have already been blagged (may be able to squeeze one or 2 in at a push) there are however a few caravan sites locally if required.

Chapel Croft B&B is the closest (under ½ mile) – this is a great option for those traveling with family who want to have quiet time/be close by, but they only have a few rooms!

http://nigelbowers.wixsite.com/chapelcroft

Congleton offers a few options all within 5/6miles

Alexandra Court Hotel

The Lion & Swan

The Plough at Eaton

Towards Leek:

Hotel Rudyard

Premier Inn Leek, town centre location around 7 miles from HQ

Macclesfield is further afield but offers a greater range of hotels

Please give me a shout if anyone needs any information