Over 60s training.

Comments

• .....................well the dinner passed off very well and I strolled out into a hard frosted morning to trot down the 1 and a bit miles and pick my car up and drive home and then to turn my attention to a longer run.

7.25 miles done thereafter in 73:10 (10:05m/m) with AHR of only 126 (63%WHR) and a max of only 143

10:15  122  132
    09:42  124  136
    10:02  126  131
    10:17  127  132
    09:30  127  130
    11:02  132  142  Hipps Hill
    09:46  127  132
    02:35  129  132

In truth I couldn't have moved much faster - legs were tired but my avHR gave me some hope that the aerobic conditioning was beginning to take effect particularly as the overall range was not great on each mile despite hills etc. It also made me up to 41.6 miles for the week so that's a big step up.

That concludes 28 days of continuous running since Xmas day covering 155.7 miles and 125 miles in January to date, all of them within aerobic thresholds, so I am comfortably on track in terms of aerobic development.

Cut back week next week due to business trips which is probably good news for my legs!!!

• TS - a very successful month. Where others (i.e. me!) tend to hide away in this runner-unfriendly month, you plough on. I've never managed (or in truth wanted to manage!) a 28 day streak; but it's good that you have - and kept injuries at bay in the process. Well done.

I managed a 5 miler today at 8.30mm pace. Quite pleased with this. Am lining up a parkrun on a new (to me) course next Saturday and that's my motivation. My training partner is crocked right now (calf).

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

TS - so glad you and your friends got the world sorted out. What a pity about the train deadline, otherwise we might have got world peace too.

Lunch out yesterday, courtesy of my two youngest and their respective Established Inamorata. They all live in Bristol; the five of us converged on a country pub / restaurant south of Abergavenny. Youngest son had already run 17 miles earlier in the day. Rather to his own consternation he has secured a place in the VLM, so he is following a training plan. He looks well on it. They were all wearing Fitbits (or something similar); I said I wouldn't have one of those because I was afraid of getting obsessed by it, - always checking to see how many calories I'd burned, how many hours I'd slept, how many steps I'd taken: "Oh, we are!" they choroused.

This is my second full week of No Running. Another two weeks and I will cautiously attempt a come-back.  

• John
    It goes back to the days when men were men and a short race was 10 milesimage
    One simply had to put the miles in to be ready to race at that distance, HM or  marathon and a lot of them came early in the year so running long at this time of year was essential.

Indeed at one stage I regularly ran the Morpeth to Newcastle road race on New Year's Day which at 14.2 miles was a bit of a tester after a good night!!  It was also a good indicator for the London marathon and other spring races.

Where is your new parkrun course?

Columba
    17 miles certainly tones up the body  - I suspect he also had an appetite at lunch!!!
    How is the knee feeling?
    Yes, world peace could have been achieved - railway timetables always get in the way!
    I recall that the German invasion on 1914 of Belgium was held up by faulty railway timetables which gave the opportunity for the French and British armies to re-depoly so they can come in handy

• .........cut back day dawned bright and fair with a hard frost and clear skies

I was doubly tempted - one to run further than planned as it was so nice and two when two young ladies caught me up clad in the very latest bright coloured clothing but I resisted the urge to speed up .

So only 2.25 miles done in 22 minutes (9:46m/m) with avHR 124 (62%WHR) and max of 137 in the first mile as I climbed 125' with some ease

• WD60WD60 ✭✭✭

Good running everybody.

I'm still running my three days a week which suits me much better than streaks. My long run is now up to six miles which is the furthest I have run for at least 18 months.

I saw my GP about my back pains which started six months ago. He said that as there was no physical cause- clear ultra sound and MRI he would prescribe Amlodipine 10mg for neurological pain and this seems to be doing the trick thank goodness. 

• TS, thanks for the link. I did indeed like the black and white shorts.

WD60, pleased to hear you're not doing streaks. 

I decided to have another week's rest. I'm still missing running but I've almost got used to not doing it.

• Hi all,

I finished my 10th Beachy. 

Kierrah left home just over a week ago and is living in South London.

I'm still running. Got to do a long run tomorrow.

x

• Tracey
    good girl - well done. You will know that route quite well by now image
    No mishaps this time round I hope?
    The house will seem a bit quieter now - is Kierrah still working in IT?

Graham
    I thought you would like thoseimage
    On mornings like theses - hard, dry frost, clear sky it is difficult not to miss running

WD60
    good going - mileage building up nicely.
    That is an unusual medication for neurological pain - I thought t I had tried them all!!

Same conditions as yesterday - same run. Nearly the same result - 2.25 miles in 21:26 (9:30m/m) with avHR 126 and a max of 136.
    Nice to be out there. I nearly thought about cutting loose on the downhill bit but Mr Sensible won out

• Article 50 decision in 

Not unexpected. I anticipate a Bill before Parliament before the weekend which will restore the Government's prerogative - and make more lawyers more moneyimage

• WD60WD60 ✭✭✭

TS In large doses it was used as an antidepressant but not used as such anymore as there are much better ones available.

I did 4.58 miles this morning.  I hadn't bothered with my head torch but as it was earlier than usual many of the lights were out so had to go slowly, though I don't think I could have gone much quicker!  

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Morning all

Back from Ireland with what I would call only a 3rd degree hangover so not to bad.Not really looking forward to 6x800s track session tonight but will have to do it.

TS-Reckon this brexit lark is going to be a huge money spinner for the lawyers.

• Good to see so many postings.

Ray - I like the grading system for hangovers! Perhaps the 6x800 session is kill or cure?

WD - putting in some good sessions. I think 3 days a week sounds more sensible than the streak approach - but it really comes down to what suits the individual. In my experience doctors don't 'do' backs very well.

Tracey - any goals for the Spring?

Graham - and when you return to running it'll be like you've never been away!

TS - oh to be a lawyer for the next few years: fill yer boots time!

My 3rd consecutive day with a 39 minute run. Today was a fartlek session the randomness of which suits my total lack of discipline. On the other hand, it felt hard so must have been doing me some good. The sunshine has returned after a horrible bout of freezing fog.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

WD,

We all age differently so it is important to find what training style allows you to keep running. At our age the biggest challenge is avoiding injuries. it sounds like you have found yours.

Ray,

Welcome back.

It looks like I am taking a compulsory down week. I managed to tweak my back in the gym so now I am getting back spasms if I try to do anything too strenuous. I know from experience that I need a week of nothing to quiet it down. it usually clears up completely.

I have been reading about the high pollution alerts in London and my sister has been complaining of the dense fog, anyone affected by it.

• Mick - sorry to hear of your membership of the bad back club. I think I've been over-doing the upper body stuff as my shoulders are very tight and start to ache when I run. So am trying to have a rest from the weights etc.

TS - sorry I didn't answer your previous question. The Parkrun course I'm aiming to do on Saturday is the rather quaintly named Lee-on-The-Solent. I think it's flat but has some shingle. Not a PB course but I'm nowhere near PB condition. Be nice to sneak a win but as always depends who turns up! 

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Mick-sorry about your back hope its a short time injury.We were lucky with our flight into Stansted as it was on time,but our friend who flew into Heathrow had a 4 hour delay.

The workout tonight was 8x600s not as I said 6x800s the200mrecovery was the same.Before the session a girl who is marathon training ask me to run 7miles with her tomorrow so I hope I feel okay.

2:31--2:25--2:36--2:43--2:38--2:48--2:46--2:42 struggled a bit tonight to be honest

• TS - Im doing Great Bentley half on 5/2, and Brighton Marathon on 9/4

Have entered Harwich 5k Handicap Series and Harwich Sprint Triathon

Did a 12 mile run today with 2 nasty hills.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Hello Tracey, glad to see there's still no stopping you. Congratulations on 10th Beachy.
    Kierrah left home; and how are things with Andre?

TS - as the German invasion of Belgium was held up because of faulty train timetables, do you suppose that's why the Germans subsequently developed such a reputation for making their trains run on time?

Graham - I miss running too (taking 4 weeks off), especially when driving along a route that I've often run along; and when I see other runners. I went swimming on Monday, and to the "spinning" class last night, so hopefully keeping some aerobic fitness.

I believe "bad backs" account for an awful lot of lost working hours, because it's so hard to find a cause and a cure. I'm currently reading two books (recommended by the gait analyst I saw at Christmas), one on Chi Running and one called "Whole Body Barefoot", which focus a great deal on avoiding (and recovering from) injury via posture and biomechanics. When I restart running I shall be trying to put the Chi running principles into practice. 

• Tracey - good luck for each of these. I think I recall you did the Brighton event last year? Will be aiming for an improvement?

Ray - looks like a pretty hard session. Perhaps the 7 mile will be in effect a recovery run. 

A 30 minute run for me. No real clue as to how far I managed but (being the intuitive type) I did actually feel good and for the first time for a while felt there was something in the tank. If I had access to the data generated by the session I might be disappointed!

Columba - I always have problem with 'Chi' as in this part of the country this is almost inevitably a reference to Chichester!

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Tracy-well done for doing a 12mile run with hills.The cost of those 2 runs you have entered will not come cheap.

John-reckon you should go out and buy a top of the range Garmin.That way you can tell us when you oscilate and all the other data to keep Mick happyimage.

Done a foggy 7 miles this morning in about 9:30 pace and believe it or not my lower back is now hurting.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Tracey,

Wow that is quite a load but then you are just a youngster. When I was your age i would have done them uphill both ways carrying a 100lb pack. Funny how reality blurs when you look back. Good luck with the tri. 

Ray,

There is no more room on the bench and I am older than you so I am not giving up my seat just yet. Good looking session from you.

John,

It would be interesting to see if your run by feel produces optimum pacing. I do not look at my watch much as over the years I have calibrated my run by feel fairly accurate so much less likely to fade on a hard run.

My back is progressing the same as it usually does so I should be back at it next week. I seem to do this to myself every couple of years despite all the gym work I do. At least I am getting to spend more time on my drawing and programming courses.

Mick

• Mick - that's a very interesting point you make about calibration. For years I ran a 3 x 1 mile training course around my block. I only ever checked my watch at each mile and I'd almost always be spot-on the target. My wife (not a runner) thought this was some sort of witchcraft but I assured her that it wasn't unusual. In terms of races, I never used take much notice of on-course markers (partly because they are not always accurate). These days, some parkrun course have km markers; some don't. I quite like 'out and back' courses as I think the half way mark is a good time to glance at my watch and monitor and (if possible) take action.

I just wonder if the generation of runners brought up with technology develop the same kind of 'in-flight' feel for (optimal) timing? There's always a though that if you set your pacing in advance and stick to it, then you might be denying yourself a PB.  

Will venture out again today and do something around 4 miles then rest tomorrow in advance of planned parkrun on Saturday.

• WD60WD60 ✭✭✭

Mick & John  I also have  a good idea of my pace without my Garmin I know what a 10 min mile fells like and I can tell when I am quicker or like this morning slower!

I did 5.06 miles in 53.31 at 5.15am when it was to me very cold but there was cold wind which will hopefully disperse the smog in London.  Down here in the countryside I haven't had any problems.with poor air quality

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

John,
    In my 50 years of running I concentrated mainly on 10k and Halfs races where correct early pacing is critical.
    In 5ks there is a strong argument for going out hard and hanging on but that  does not work over 10k or 21.1k.
    In the latter you have to chose what pace you are going to run at and in the early stages of a race it is hard to determine what that is without some kind of aid.
    In those races years ago your time would be called at 1 mile, where invariably you would be in a group all running close to your comfort zone and pacing off each other.
    It was at this point that runners would make adjustments some picking it up and some dropping off. I typically would be in the pack just behind the leaders running a 32 - 36 mins for 10k, very much on the edge. Getting the pace wrong over the first 5k could result in a big drop off at 7/8k.
    If you  do not run on the edge then I don't think it matters as you will always have room to recover from errors.
    As you run 5ks I don't think pacing is such a big deal anyway. Good luck this weekend.

WD60,
    Glad you are not affected by the pollution.

My back is recovering well and I will probably go to the gym tomorrow for a spin and then a stretching session to try and get the chinks out. There is no referred pain in my legs so no nerve pressure, just spasms in my lower back. I have obviously overworked the small tendons and ligaments around my spine again with my gym work and snow shovelling. 

MIck

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

WD60-A very early run in the cold I am afraid I was still asleep.

Mick6-Hope there are no further problems with your back.

The run tonight was a 6miler with the middle 4 to be at tempo pace of 8min miles.There was 12 in our group so some run a quicker pace if they so wish.

8:51--7:48--7:54--7:28--7:19--8:11 rest now till Sunday

• Mick - at your peak you ran at a far higher level than I ever did so I defer to you on this one. And my own 10K PB probably proves your point rather than mine as it was 39:40 at the finish but sub 18 at halfway (with a following wind)! If my pacing hadn't been so clueless I'd have knocked at least a minute off my finishing time. But, to adopt a glass half-full perspective, I actually ran my best ever 5K in the process! One thing I'd tell younger runners (and this thread is totally the wrong place to find them!) is that you never know when you are going to achieve your PB - by which I mean that when you've just done one, you might never do it again even though you kind of assume that you'll just keep on improving.

So tomorrow I shall go out hard and see what happens! Fear not: I'll burden this thread with the outcome! Another reason for going out hard in parkruns is that you tend to get trapped behind runners who wrongly position themselves at the start (not of course a sin!) and/or can fall foul of narrow sections of the course. Tomorrow's run looks like it could be 400 or so and it takes a VERY wide path to accommodate those sort of numbers....................

Ray - good session. I particularly liked mile 5!

• As threatened, a report:

Lee-on-the Solent parkrun. Nice course with great views across to the Isle of Wight. as usual a very friendly, supportive atmosphere. Course was typical prom - almost totally flat. The only downside was a very nasty little wind. Big field of 398. A 21:57 (38th place and a category win) made the journey well worthwhile.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

JB: I've already congratulated you on "the other" thread but congrats again.

Being slow, I start parkruns from the back, which also has the advantage that I don't have the discouragement of being passed by lots and lots of people in the first five minutes. On the other hand it has the disadvantage that my time (as measured by parkrun) is longer than it actually is, since I started from behind the start line. And in a crowd you have to walk at first, can't break into a run until there's a bit of space.

Mick - hoping the back pain clears quickly.  

• Columba: yes many thanks. You are right in that if you start from the back you have that in-built disadvantage. I'm almost always a little nearer the back at the start than I 'should' be in that I end up overtaking more folk than overtake me. I think this is not so much me mis-calculating as that some people line up too near the front as a result of inexperience or sheer enthusiasm! This can result in a bit of congestion if the path suddenly narrows and/or there are obstacles.  The other thing you see is that some folk will respond to being overtaken by trying to keep up (I've been known to do this myself) and it hardly ever works.

(One guy today who was manifestly quite quick, obviously started far too near the back and came hurtling past those of us on the prom by running along some deep shingle and then clambering over the sea-wall to join the faster runners, He managed at a stroke to turn an easy course into an assault-course!)

I've now done over 20 different parkrun courses and one of the joys is to adapt to local conditions. 

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

JB,
    Very respectable time and a great AG win, so who cares about pacing. I suspect that with the right coaching your 10k PB would be much lower. If you use the standard race prediction algorithms, an 18 min 5k translates to a 37:30 10k !!

Columba,
    Those lots and lots of people who pass you are typically decades younger and probably would not be able to run a 5k at your age so you should keep smiling.
    Being burdened with a male ego I find it worse when I am out on a run feeling really smooth and fast and then I get 'ponytailed'.

My session at the gym went well, 20 mins of spinning and then lots of stretching etc. Back is feeling really good with no spasming, just stiff and a little sore.

Lots of time to spare this week as I could not do anything physical. Caught up on my drawing exercises and completed a software course on a statistical programming language which believe it or not I enjoyed.

I have often wondered why prior to a race it is not possible to predict scientifically what your time should be. I have many times run a race, then undertaken a 3 months or so training programme and then raced again to be surprised by the result, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
    For fun, and believe me I do find this fun, I took a number of training runs prior to my last race and attempted to predict my race time.
    I collected all of my lap times, distances and %WHR into one dataset and then fitted a polynomial curve to it with %WHR as the independent variable.
    I achieved a coefficient of determination greater than 90% so I used it to predict my race result. I used the fact that in a 5k my avg %WHR assuming I tried hard enough will be between 89-92% and my predicted avg pace matched my actual result very closely.

My race was 3 months ago so where am I now, based on my algorithm I have improved my theoretical 5k time by about a minute!!
    Maybe I should write an article for RW.

Mick