Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

OO - a bit annoying but sounds like a decent run considering. Manchester should be much easier/faster.

TT - that's annoying but good to hear you're back into it.

CW - I don't understand how a runner of your standard can run that slowly!

SC2 - not really frustrating, I'd rather be spending time with mini-Padams than running at the moment, and to be honest I could do more running if I really wanted. If it wasn't for the dog needing to be exercised I'd probably do even less. Having said that, I'll probably enter a few races soon which might motivate me a bit more.

Jools - still a good training run. Was it marathon effort or were you working harder than you'd planned?

CC2 - you'll be needing a bigger trophy cabinet soon!

CD - good to hear you managed a run and it seemed fine. Very sensible, but I wouldn't expect anything else from you given your experience.

Impressive training by many others, particular PP with 94M inc. lots at a fast pace.

Went down to the parkrun again on Saturday - was a bit more competition this time so had to run more than 2 mins quicker than the week before to get the win (16:58). It was the off-road course again, but one of the posts was in a slightly different place meaning it was marginally short of 5k, which explains about 30s of the difference in time. But pleased with that given the course and it felt fairly comfortable.

Then just a couple of miles on Sunday helping at our club 10M race and then watching Marders win by several minutes. 3M-4M with the dog the past two mornings.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

OO - 5 mins under target time in January is a very promising sign.  Not worth fretting over 15 secs when you've been well under previously and a big marathon coming up in a couple of months.  I've got a couple of 03:00:11's in the past.

Padams - casual off road sub 17.  Wish I could do that.  Marders looks in fine form.

I'm in Lanzarote at the moment for a week's sun/training/holiday.  Good chance to do lots of sports that I wouldn't normally do (tennis, swimming, paddle boarding, that sort of thing) and got a bit carried away in the first 48 hours doing all sorts of fitness classes that used all sorts of areas I didn't know existed.  Loads of pro-sports people out here to make you realise how bang average you are at sport.  Javier Gomez is around, and I said hello to Petra Kvitova the Wimbledon champ this morning (currently rehabbing from a recent knife attack!).

They had an early half marathon this morning which I thought I'd struggle to make due to aforementioned soreness, but was OK once I started.  Only a small affair so ran most of it alone, other than a bit with guy who was doing only 2 of the 3 laps (you could choose 7k, 14k or 21k).  Finished first of only a dozen or so doing the half in an even paced 82 mins which I'm happy enough with.  Turned V44 today too, so going to have a few cold ones later and chill out a bit.

• Happy birthday Dan.  Nice celebrity hob-nobbing - did you manage to get Gomez into a Xempo shirt?  If you could play him at tennis and run against Kvitova you might be in with a shout.  Or challenge them both to darts.

• Dan - Sounds nice. LBAC have been going out there for years to do the challenge, I've still not made it out there to La Santa

Padams - Yes nice distraction to have. My 6 yr old is into everything too, Swimming with him fits nicely after the LSR. He practises - I try and sort my legs out image. Plus he does the Beagles at Bedford and cricket training too. All good!

• Happy Birthday Dan - sounds as though you're enjoying it.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, Dan.

Padams: breathing was ok, legs were not.

• Dan - happy birthday!

Padams, nice casual sub-17. Oh and I saw Marders' result at the FH10. He seems unstoppable at the moment.

Jools - if breathing was OK but legs tired, that's a good sign in my book. Better than the other way around!

10 with 5LT today, with the LT miles averaging 6:17. Please with that if it's current untapered HMP. The goal of this training block is to turn that into MP for Boston image.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

OO - Looks well set up for a sub-3 at Manchester.

Happy birthday Dan!  

Gah! Wimped out of track intervals this evening due to icy track. Sometimes one of the bends is a bit slippery but this evening even the home straight wasn't much fun.  I discovered this whilst attempting my usual 3M @ MP which actually went 5:47/5:39/5:38, struggling to get up to pace and then working harder than MP effort to keep the pace up, feet slipping beneath me. Took a scenic route home to reach double figures, so I've clocked up nearly 16 miles for the day at least.

On the culinary front, I've just reminded myself how well English mustard goes with peppered smoked mackerel. (And brown rice and stir-fry veg in black bean sauce.)  image

• Happy Birthday Dan (it's mine tomorrow). I am very jealous of you going to Lanza. I soooo want to go to La Santa.

Ice? Don't you live in the south PP? No such rubbish in the Midlands, though it was officially 'bastard freezing' the minute I finished the session. Somehow it had seemed ok while running the efforts. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The annoying thing is, my local BBC weather report says it's 2 degrees even now, but I'm sure Ladywell Arena has its own microclimate.  Weird.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

OO - ouch! So close! Good sign ahead of Manchester though. Well done!

Happy birthday Dan!

CC2 - I'm sure we'll both be in good shape by London. With the coldness, have you had your iron levels checked? Looking back that was one of the things I should have picked up on in my case. Nice blinging.

Good training run off a big week Jools. Winter miles for springtime smiles!

CW - it does make a huge difference. I'm currently on a daily dose of 210mg of iron (elemental - 1800mg of ferrous gluconate), so I'm hoping it won't take too long to get back to decent levels and get back to training. I'll keep an eye out for you on Saturday. I will probably be trailing somewhere behind you.

Nice tempo ES.

PP - when I was leaving work the forecast said it was 7 degrees. It was nowhere near and the pavements were starting to get slippery within the hour, even though the official temp was still 2 degrees.

Loads of good training going on!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Many happy returns Dan, sounds like a multi-sporting birthday!  Raised a glass to you tonight.

.. & birthday wishes to CC2 saying as it's after midnight.

TT.. good to see you back to it.

PP.. good effort in the session despite the ice, nice mileage for the day.  Nice work in the wok too!

ES.. great training, hope Boston rewards you well.

4.2m + 7.5m today.  No ice but happy with the light winds.

Good win at the Park Run Padams, don't worry about the miles at the moment as long as you're enjoying it.

• Happy Birthday CC2.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Happy birthdays Dan - what a great way to celebrate - and to you too CC2.

Thanks for the comments on Gran Canaria and feeling good for Manchester - somehow cannot see 23C and blue skies there in early April.

Good training everybody.
  • OO -- great report, and I didn't realise your target was 3:05, which you bettered handsomely of course.

Nice parkrun yet again Padams. And yes on the plods, I know this is a perepetual theme of mine, but I have no idea physiologically why I could only do 9:45/M in a test jog round town on Tues am, but after 48 hrs off my 8.5M commute this morning was at nearer 7 m/M with a couple of HMP tempo efforts, wearing heavy clothes and a rucksack, all perfectly comfortable. I would dearly love to understand this, and why some people don't seem to get it at all. The timescale is about right for DOMS, but it's not the same acute muscle stiffness and discomfort -- it's more like having a flat battery. Very odd.

DanA -- nice low key win there -- perfect birthday present! Happy birthday too CC2.

PP -- nah, has to be horseradish with the peppered mackerel image

TT -- I don't expect I'll be too quick in the Southerns, though that initial charge is too special an experience to miss. On the freezing pavement/track front, the ground loses heat by radiation to space, which the air can't really do; so when they say it's 2 degC, the air may be that warm but the ground could be at -2 or something. My favourite park loop has had a nice upgrade, but the new bit of tarmac is blacker than the rest, and stayed icy longer the other day (black surfaces better at radiating heat away).

• On the icy roads - this morning was the worst conditions underfoot I've experienced on the commute to work. Also tracks seem to get slippy really quickly, once you are under 5 degrees they seem to start going a bit.

PP - Healthy bugger. Pile of creamy pasta bake for me last night.

CW - I hate that initial charge up the hill. Get to the top, out of breath, thinking 'oh well - only another 8.75 miles to go' image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

At least there's the massive bottleneck at the top followed by a bit of downhill to get your breath back! I've already installed some 15mm spikes in anticipation but will obviously do a reccy once a few hundred others have churned it up.  The firmer the better for me.

I can't see this evening's meal being quite as healthy, since I'm out for a couple of jars straight after work, so it'll probably be a trip to the chippy to satisfy post-beer munchies. I'm pretty chilled about diet at the moment; despite keeping up my daily dark chocolate and peanut butter and jam on bread habits, the scales have tipped back under 70kg, virtually pre-Berlin weight, so I guess the increased training volume is more than compensating for the treats.

10 miles easy lunch time.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

CC2 - if it's today, then happy birthday!!

CW - of course! I had noticed that the newer tarmac in some areas around here had significantly more ice than the older too, but hadn't pondered on the reason, but yes, that makes perfect sense.

SC2 - it could be worse; I'll be out of breath the whole way around, not just at the top of the first hill! image

PP - nothing wrong with an occasional chippy treat! I need to get back into healthy cooking/eating habits though as the house renovations messed me up on that front as I got in a habit of takeaways (my local Indian now recognise my voice when I call, and the local chippy starts bagging up my order as soon as they see me coming through the door image) or convenience food. 8kgs to lose probably won't be doable just off of the increased mileage, or at least not in a reasonable time frame.

52 last week, target of something over 80 this week (off of 5 days - took Monday off, and I suspect Sunday I'll be recovering from an almighty hangover given the b'day celebrations post Parliament Hill).

• Thanks folks. Apparently I run faster as a 38 year old. Tonight's run was 15 - 30 seconds per mile faster than the same route the last few weeks. 

TT - yup, my iron levels are apparently very good. Mind you, I'm not sure the GP really grasped the fact that I run a lot of miles so might need higher than average. I'm not sure that 'good' for a couch potato is the same as 'good' for a serious runner. 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Progress then CC2. And you're right that you need more. My GP, the first time I went in, and was borderline on their charts, said as much.

It has been an epic day here. Had it confirmed earlier that my divorce is complete, and I actually completed a track session for the first time in longer than I can remember (it was sh!t, but that's not the point).
    Targeted HM effort for 2km (400m rec), 2km (400m), 2m (400m), 2 x 1km (200m), and got 7:31, 7:29, 12:01, 3:42, and a quicker last lap for a 3:33 (quicker being relative - 83s felt very hard, bearing in mind Mara pb is 84s laps! image ).
    To call it HM effort overall might have been a touch generous, but it means at the very best, 79min HM shape. Weight and anaemia will play a sizeable part on that, but it's something to work from.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT - nice session, gives you a good baseline. And must be a relief to get the divorce completed.

As well as my usual run with the dog yesterday, I also ran to and from work - only about 3M each way, but made it 10M for the day, and is probably quicker than driving in rush hour traffic. So I might do that a bit more often. I put a bit of effort in on the way home and was doing 6:30s reasonably comfortably with a rucksack.

3M with the dog again this morning and will try to get out for a run at lunchtime. At this rate I might hit 30M before the weekend, so could get into the 40s for the week, which will be my biggest for several months.

• Padams in massive mileage shockimage (You're scary enough without really training, god help us now!)

Just 5M this morning with a 1M effort to stay tuned for the Southerns; tomorrow I'll be off making a scary presentation for a big government grant so will not be on here (or have time to train) -- so good luck those racing this weekend, and maybe see one or two of you on Parliament Hill.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CW - you say that, but I'm not sure I was much faster (at 5k/10k/XC at least) when I was doing 80mpw compared to my current 30mpw. It probably helps that Mrs Padams is on a diet so by default I am eating healthy dinners (same as her but with some extra carbs). I'm fairly sure if I tried to run a marathon at the moment it wouldn't go well.

Had a decent lunchtime run. It was cold so I set off a bit faster than usual to try to warm up on a 6M loop. I was just wearing an analogue watch so had no idea of pace until I got back, so was surprised to see it had only taken just over 36 mins, especially as I eased off a bit in the last mile or two.

I've entered a local HM on 5 March so will be aiming to do a few longer runs over the next few weekends as I don't think current training is going to cut it (speed is fine but probably no endurance beyond 10k or so).

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

CC2 - Belated happy birthday!

CW - See you Saturday. Have you got time for a swift half at the Assembly Hall afterwards? (TT?)

There's some building work going on at my local track in Sutcliffe Park (aka "Eltham" on the BMC fixtures), some sort of indoor facilities incl. a warm-up track I've been informed. Could be useful when it's done but in the mean time it interrupted my plans for a tempo run on traffic-free paths this afternoon, so I did it on the roads instead.  Managed to duck under 6m/m when there weren't schoolkids to dodge or roadworks to contend with, but averaged 6:10/m for 6 miles as part of a 10 mile run.  Felt pretty comfortable and didn't want to push things too much before the Southerns, so a useful loosener at a reasonable pace.

• TT, you still seem to be in decent shape!

Padams - MK Half? If so, see you there!

PP - nice bit of faster stuff there.

Far too cold these last few days but I've got through the planned training. Decent MLR on Wednesday with the back half (7.5mi) averaging 6:45/mi. Pleased considering I did an LT run the day before. Easy double yesterday, and planned 13M tonight, hopefully a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday.

Best of luck at Parliament Hill for those doing it.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

PP - we've got to rush back straight after I'm afraid for a club night out, so will be dashing off as soon as our last man is across the line.

ES - 35-40s off of pb shape, so not really. Nice pace on the MLR!

• TT, decent shape by my standards!
  • Mine too!

Nice to see Jools today at the Midland Counties XC ,although I mainly saw her back, and by the second half I could no longer see that either! I did pick up yet more bling though - I was last counter for our team and we got bronze, which was way beyond my expectations. My ground down, bent and incomplete spike pins did me no good at all (they're stuck in there, and the empty holes no longer hold pins in them), nor did the tape that just made it even more slippery underfoot in the mud, so I used the voucher I won a couple of weeks ago to treat myself to a new pair of spikes. They'll only get one outing this season though (the National) as I've turned down my place on the Inter Counties team due to a half marathon that weekend. Having just run on the IC course, I'm 100% certain that was the right choice!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yup, Mids XC for me.  23rd (21st previous 2 years), so there or thereabouts.  Felt pretty strong but didn't have enough zip to cling onto a higher placing in the closing straight.  15M today to round off a 55M recovery week.  7.55m/m, so plodtastic compared to everyone else!

• Good XC results ladies. Would have been there myself but I'd entered Lliswerry 8M for the 6th consecutive year. It's a great benchmark of my form on the road 11 weeks before the annual Spring marathon. All the training is obviously paying off as despite cracking the 300 miles in January on Thursday I managed to knock over a minute off my PB from 2015 & was 3 minutes quicker than last year (when I was coming back from injury) when I went on to PB in Brighton. Highest ever Age Grading too 79.3% & a marathon predictor of 2:53:30 which is about 6 minutes quicker than target so looking good image