Annoying aching pain that wont go away, what is it?

I have had this annoying ache on the side of my hip and glute medius area that  just aches, sometimes worse than other times, it wont go away it has been like that for a while (months). It just feels like a deep ache in the glute medius area, i have been seeing an osteo and they have said i have a twisted pelvis so the left side which the ache is on is tilted forward. Does a twisted pelvis cause pain in the glute medius area? It feels restricted when i try to stretch the outside of the hip for the first time in a bit, but after a few stretches it feels ok. When running it is ok at first but after maybe 1km it will start to ache around the area, the osteo massages the glute medius when i see him, i have also been dry needled once in the area as well and when i am at home i have a trigger point ball that i use for it, when using the ball and i get the right spot on the glute medius it feels sore but like a good sore when i roll over it, but it never completely relives the aching pain and it just comes back, does anyone know what i may be? I was scared it may be tendon related but because my pain isnt directly over the trochanter area or close by the trochanter (more further up) the osteo doesnt think it is that. I have had this pain for a while.

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    See a Physio?

Osteopathy isn't actually a recognised branch of the NHS and is a bit like Chiropractice or Acupuncture, so can be seen as snake oil by the medical profession.

Or your Doctor, mind you, unless they've got some experience of running injuries, they'll probably just tell you to stop doing whatever it is thats causes the pain.

But asking a random bunch of people on the RW forum is very unlikely to give you a definitive answer. Sorry.
  • no it's fine, i was thinking someone may have experienced something like i am... or something along the lines, and could help me out as to what it actually is, i have had ultra sound which showed nothing wrong either so i dunno image

• I agree. Osteopathy is a pseudoscientific belief system developed in 1874 by  Andrew Still. That is not to deny that it is partially mainstreamed, and that the borders onto physiotherapy and chiropractic are blurred, or that good people can learn the wrong things or can end up giving good advice for the wrong reasons. You mention trigger points. That is also pseudoscience.

In short I agree with the posts already - see a doctor or a physio. These people learn medicine, see hundreds of cases, and also see the results of their advice after their treatments. That will more likely give you the right answer than a couple of anecdotes here. After all, it is also a known bias to weight word of mouth stories more than they deserve, and you need to guard against this too.

• A one sided problem will always point towards asymmetry. The osteo picked up a twist. Probably mobilised the pelvis, and massaged the glut. 

Normally this may help, but it seems your glut med has progressed into a tendinosis.

the tendinous junction is hard to heal without aggressive hand work, and muscle strengthening. There may be other structures in the back contributing to a pelvic twist. 

You may want to look at other aspects like foot mechanics or weak quads. See if there is a leg length issue, or a functional leg length discrepancy.

but certainly , as above, see a sports physio, and perhaps also a Podiatrist.

if you have too much internal leg rotation, the gluts may be forced to over work, and his may be the source.