P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Well done NE. If you saw a tall scruffy looking bloke with wild hair in a FoDAC vest it was me. A PB is always good no matter how small. Especially considering your less than ideal prep so far. As I mentioned in my previous post I was 2 minutes slower at Lliswerry in 2016 compared to 2015. By the time Brighton came round I knocked 7 minutes off my PB still plenty of time to get that GFA if you can manage the training. I wasn't even using anything as sophisticated as P&D then just winging it on a diet of 60mpw + weekly parkruns, XC & five 20+ milers for those 10 weeks.

Well done Millsy. Sounds like my kind of event.

• Tired reading all the posts here image.

20 miles for me saturday - in the cold and rain, oh joy... but felt pretty good and put some MP miles in.

Getting pain on the top of my foot though... anyone got any ideas what it could be?

My take on graduation is dont get the point of it and I never went to mine, all seemed a bit self gratifying really.

• But I've already said the point -  you get to wear a funny hat!

• Hmm, I thought the forums were going offline last night and we were getting a shiny new one? Or do they mean everything posted at the moment will disappear later when the new forum appears?

Impressive bike ride Reg! Sounds positive about the foot.

Don’t know how you manage 3.5 hours on the trainer Joe, even with Netflix!

Congrats on the 8 mile race Jooligan and NE.

Quality MP session Ramjet

Good work on the recovery drinking Tom

Thanks Millsy, certainly feeling positive about sub-3 at the moment. Will be interesting to see how the tune-up races go. Welcome to Strava!

I wasn’t too fussed about my graduation but my mum and Grandma loved every second of it so I was happy to go along with it. And as Lit says, it’s always fun to wear a funny hat.

• You should move to Texas - They all wear funny hats there!

But fair play ... you cant beat wearing a funny hat!

• Some brilliant weekend running going on, folks. Spoons you are a machine for coping with such mileage. Impressive PB Jooligan, and BR - 9M of xc must have been so draining. A long way in spikes, if you were wearing them? Hope the turbo wasn't too mindnumbing. Have you tried the sufferfest videos? They make the time fly by, albeit in a painful manner. Really helped keep me fit in the last few weeks of lower mileage.

Biggest week in a long time for me - 58 miles. I really think the sports massages and hip strengthening exercises have helped take the itb recovery to the next level. 

Staverton 10M for me yesterday. Just sneaked a PB by about 15s. 1:01:38. Very happy given recent lack of miles. Wore my racing flats for the first time since August - definitely make me feel 'serious', but they have the worst grip ever. Two sections of the race were on a very muddy farm track, so this wasn't ideal. Still a bit slower pace than HM PB from May, although conditions were better then, and I managed to tag into a group at perfect pace. 

Post race jog to get car that I'd left after curry and drinks on Friday. Turn a wrong turn so it ended up being significantly further than I hoped for - really hanging on at the end at 8:30s! Yesterday afternoon took a turn for the worse as I eventually succumbed to a sickness bug my wife had on Wednesday and daughter on Friday. image  Hoping to get back on form soon, and keen for my first 20M this weekend. Have a good week everyone. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Not sure about this new forum. No link for latest posts or followed threads that I can see and I can't see anyone's photo, except for Jooligan.
  • Paul11Paul11
    edited February 2017
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I just posted on the old forum and now I'm back here. Actually I think the old forum is still going at the moment.
  • What a mess. So we've lost over a week of posts, and now have to read them in an ugly, small serif font.
  • I must admit that I enjoyed an escape from the world of 'likes'. Oh well.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

You don't need to use the ugly, small font spoons.

• Christ I thought we'd learned from myspace not to allow users to control formatting! Anyway, some great running in the old thread, top work everyone.

I've had a mixed two days. Yesterday's medium-long felt very flat and a bit of a slog at times. I had planned to run it a bit slower as I'm on a recovery week, but despite the easier pace the effort felt as high as normal. Didn't enjoy a second of it.
    This morning though I did my first intervals session since, I think, October - 6 x 800m with 400m recoveries. I really wasn't sure how it would go, as it'd been so long since I did any speed work. I was also unable to use a track, which is where I've done almost all my interval sessions for several years now, so I was a bit out of my comfort zone. I found a nice flat section down on the river though, with the distance between two paths that branch off it almost exactly 800m - perfect!

Went out way too fast on the first one (5:30/mi), but settled in and overall I'm pleased with the effort (average about 5:38/mi). I'm pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever done an 800m intervals session. Felt nice to get the legs turning over fast after so much easy/steady mileage lately, and the legs didn't feel too battered afterwards either. I didn't know if all this mileage might blunt my speed, but if I can manage this already, should be flying after a few more interval sessions.

I also wore an HR strap for the first time in years, as it was cold and I wanted to keep my watch on the outside of my jacket. Quickly remembered why I hate HR straps when it started to slip down after about a mile! Briefly registered at 255bpm - and people say optical HR is inaccurate... 

Quick copy/paste of the latest marathon list in case it gets lost:

Manchester 2nd April 
    Olliepop 70-85 18w sub 2:45
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 
    Ramjet 55-70 sub 3:00 
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15 
    Northender 18/55(ish) 3:19
    Just Coop Going Sub 3:45 (GFA)

Brighton 9th April 
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59 
    Rob1978 55-50 18w 3:25
    TrevO 18/55 sub 3:30 (hopefully 3:15)
    Trirunningfaster

Paris 9th April 
    Macca TBC

Boston 17th April 
    Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59 
    Goldeagle 18/55 sub 4:00

London 23rd April 
    Lit 
    Slowkoala 
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35 
    Tom13 55-70 18w sub 2:40
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40 
    dct hopefully 70-85 2:44:59 
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Bluemoon86 70-85 18w sub 2:50
    Sorequads 55-70 18w 2:50 
    15West Daniels Sub 2:50 
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54 
    Jooligan 55-70 24w 2:59
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC 
    Mattywarr 18-55 Sub 3.05 (GFA)
    Madbee 55-70 sub 3:10 
    Joe Blogs-BR sub 3.45
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC
    TrevO – Will see after Brighton
    BananaCoop - sub 4:24:50 (GWR)

Southampton 23rd April
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30

• what is this shit?
  • This is like facebook did a turd and runnersworld scraped it off the pavement and threw it at the wall.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    What the Fuck is going on here! I'm going to post on the old forum!
  • Great pace spoons. Especially with 4 x 100M weeks in your legs.

At the risk of incurring some serious adidas wrath, M&M Direct (dodgy sounding online shop, but actually legit), have some Boston Boosts size 10s for £24.99. Absolute bargain! But... they are women's. I don't have a problem with embracing the pink colour, I'm sure I can sell it to be wife as high viz, but are there any other problems with buying women's not men's shoes - are they a different width, for instance?

Soleus (lower calf) still sore, so jumped on the wattbike for a sufferefest sweatfest. Sports massage tomorrow. Really hope to be able to do Friday's LT and Sunday's long run.

• New forum is going down well  :p

The women's shoes will be narrower usually SQ.
  • Women's shoes will also adversely effect your parking and common sense SQ.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Apart from that they are a bargain SQ
  • Visual assault. Dislike the whole feel of this new site
  • Wow.....This is a shocker of a website.... my cat would have done a better job.

Looks like its half finished, or is my browser out of date? Lol - glad you all agree with my thoughts (Or i agree with your thoughts)

• back to the old one i think
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming they're going to get rid of the old forum completely at some point so it might be better to keep things on here. 

Just another easy 6.5 miles for me today. All going well I'll probably start some proper sessions next week.
  • Is there an official notice that this is ready to use? Why is Tom a tomato?
  • TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I think I will join the current opinion that the new layout is shocking but nobody likes change!

Given all the noise about Boston's I tried on a pair and my god are they narrow. Can't imagine its even possible for the womans version to be any narrower without being physically impossible to put your foot in.

In the end I have ordered a pair of Brooks Ravenna's as they shouldn't be too dissimilar from the Adrenalines but hopefully a little quicker. 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Why am I a bloody tomato!? Please can we stick to the old site until it goes completely? I'm happy on the other forum!!!