The Middle Ground

Comments

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageActually, it's carbs that make you feel hungry ... protein and fat are FAR more satiating. I do make sure I replace my carbs with healthy fat, so no major calorie deficit.

DT - good luck! Enjoy the rest ... and don't eat all the pies.image

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

I eat all my carbs in the form of Pringles. As you might be able to tell, I'm no expert on diet.

6 miles for me this morning. 5 easy, 1 in the middle at 6 min/mile pace because I felt like it! Flat miles for once, and a much steadier HR as a result - averaged out at 139bpm. Pace was 7:48 min/mile.

Too many stats. Urgh. 

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

DT, I bet you're looking forward to those cold showers...  Have you heard of a guy called Wim Hof?  Those couple of weeks will be frustrating but pretend you're tapering!

Yes, Dr.D, we have turned so many foodstuffs into calorie-bags over years of genetic manipulation.  Your recommendation is inspiring, though.  I've been planning for too long to throw the carbs out of the pantry.  I'm thinking I can get away with it if I tell the rest of the family that the breakfast cereals and bread are now in a cupboard marked "fuel for gym and races".  [The Pringles are already in a box marked "movie fuel".]

First push-up failure last night.  I couldn't reach the required number on the last set of five, even with 90s rest between sets.  Squats start tonight - and my initial test reported me as below average, so this could be really tough.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The weight gain, sitting at home all week eating crap, is a concern.

Procedure done, just in recovery. Spoke with consultant and he said up to two weeks which is fine, however aneathetist had less good news and said it could take 6 weeks before I'm feeling in full flow again and not to expect a pb in London. Hopefully that is absolute worst case.

Rather, no, who is he?

Funny mind, they asked me how long I wanted a sick note between 2-6 weeks. As an employment lawyer representing companies, that sort of wild range without post op asessment doesn't sit comfortably with me. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Should have been a 38 mile week for me but family emergency meant I had to travel at the weekend and so missed Sunday's long run. 20:22 at parkrun ... but only 23 miles in total with 44 miles on the bike.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

DT19, Wim Hof is a guy who advocates cold showers as a way of fending off illness.  It's slightly more complicated, but he's managed a marathon north of the Arctic Circle wearing only shorts and shoes without catching cold.  Apparently science backs him up.  I can't cope with that first cold shower...

Dr.D, another variable week...  Your parkruns are metronomic though.

Another last set push up fail.  Got a test tonight to see if I've improved before starting week 3.  Squats don't seem to be working so well.  I'm failing the first week already.  Decided to start running again with walk-runs whenever I can fit them in.  The plan is to see how far I can get before my knees swell up like balloons, then stay below that.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Morning all. Weekly update:

Last week saw me finish up at 18 miles, so the last 3 weeks have now been 16, 17 and 18. Have a cutback week of 14 planned for this week.

Long run yesterday was 6 miles, so a slight increase on last week's 5.5.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Ratzer - squats would make my knees swell upimage... running seems knee-kinder. I actually carb-loaded for that parkrun on Friday night ... it made no difference! Yes, shame about missing Sunday's 15 but the extra commuting the week before balances the books with 72 miles over 2 weeks (and 108 of 3 weeks).

Andrew - keep up the good work.image

I've signed up to be a guinea pig for part of a PhD study looking into marathon training & nutrition, so I may well be swapping some of my training (long runs) for the experimental sessions on the treadmill.

• Dr.Dan wrote (see)

I've signed up to be a guinea pig for part of a PhD study looking into marathon training & nutrition, so I may well be swapping some of my training (long runs) for the experimental sessions on the treadmill.

Ooo, that sounds interesting and exciting image

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

image I'll second that on the nerdy stuff, though long runs (if it is that) on a treadmill are the worst sessions ever.  Just hope you aren't selected to be in the group eating only choccies and sweets for a month, Dr.D!

26 push-ups in the exhaustion test.  Which puts me in the week 3 top band by one!  I think I'll be failing a few more final sets this week.  Going to re-do week one of squats, and run-walk with the puppy started last night.  Next on the list is stop the chocolate.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well it's not come to that, Ratzer. My symptoms post procedure have been no where near as bad as id been led to expect. That'll teach me for reading threads on mumsnet!

That being so, I want for an easy 3 mile tester run yesterday which was fine so did 5 today. I probably won't tomorrow,but Friday to Sunday I'll look to run 15-20 easy. Gives me a reasonable amount of absolute bonus mileage whilst not stressing the body at all or compromising my recovery. Aside from the short runs I've just been lying on sofa sleeping or watching films, not touching any alcohol and getting to bed early.

I have though drunk a lot of tea and eaten more than a sensible amount of biscuits and chocolate. I won't be giving those up anytime soon. 

Good going, Andrew. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Avoid Mumsnet at all costs DT! Pleased to hear that your recovery is going better than you expected.

I have had a cough since just before Christmas (following a reasonably heavy cold) that I just cannot shake off. At nighttime it gets worse and leaves me with a horrible rattly, chesty cough. Doesn't seem to affect my running at all but it is starting to really annoy me. Might have to have a trip to the docs to make sure it isn't a chest infection. Roll on summer!

This week is my cut back week (cut back from what I hear you say!). I am trying to build one of these in every 4th week at the moment as part of the ongoing injury prevention/softly softly approach to returning to training, so am doing 14 miles this week (as approx. 75% of last week's mileage). Starting with 4 easy miles last night at 8.46 average pace.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well I got through the health screening part of the PhD study, so I'm in image. I did a sub-maximal test, followed by a full on VO2max test (tough! ... but new maxHR discovered!) ... followed by a 5K fastest effort (more like tempo pace after the VO2max test). This was all to provide starting data and to acclimatise me. Next will be the experimental sessions ... not sure it's ethical to say what the plan is as it's not my work. But yes it does involve 4 long treddie sessions which will be very dull, followed by more pain.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm quite fortunate in thatch never seem to get coughs. I've had one in about 15 years. Probably worth a gp visit now. 

What did the maximal hr test involve?

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Haven't got the data yet, and can't remember the exact details. However, I basically did 4 x 3 min at 1% gradient on the treddie, going from very easy pace to MPish pace ... then a rest/drink ... then the VO2max test which was running at MPish pace on the treddie as it was gradually increased from 1% gradient to 12%. I bottled out just as it was going to go to 13%. HR apparently peaked at 184 bpm but I await the official data to be sure. Highest I've seen is 176 bpm (in previous tests several years back and also in last year's "Gold Mile" race). I then had a short rest before doing a 22:xx 5K.

• So with 220 minus your age you must be 36, Dan!

Had a bit of a stinking cold so have just been ticking over the last few days rather than putting in much effort. As it is has been so cold I'm not too concerned about missing my faster session anyway.

All sounds good, DT!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dan

That just goes to reinforce your comments about my Garmin recorded Max being many bpm off my true max.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Yep ... but I await the official data to be sure in case it was a spike!

• Well this is a terrible lay out!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes but I can now lol and like posts....
  • Goodness me this is a bit different ;)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • So where has your official data gone, Dan?! :'(

And anyone got my photo? Tried to re-post it, but: 

"Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that."

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dan data would not have transfered as the cut of date was 30 January. No idea about your photo Alehouse.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    loads of peoples photos have gone, Inc mine. 
  • :( What A Load Of Rubbish.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Dr.D, we need all your lovely healthy stats again!  They've gone!  And then we need everyone else to remember what they wrote and write it again.

Note I didn't do any of that silly posting after the cut-off.  None of it.  Not one.  And you can't prove that I did!

• Bah humbug. Might have to transfer to fetcheveryone.
  • Stick around, Dr.D...it can only get better! And how come you have a name and pic change when a dozen posts ago everything was as usual? Still having pic problems here. 

Last week was the first 50k week since November. Been slightly under the weather for most of the year so far: doesn't stop me running but does stop me making much effort. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I'm back. No idea who that other grumpy bloke is.