Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Hope it's nothing serious Phil, best nipped in the bud.

I did a fairly long bike yesterday (94 miles) @17.5 mph so I was pretty please with how that went, although I was getting a bit uncomfortable.

Followed it up with an easy 4 mile run today, just ran to recovery HR and came out 7:35. Foot seemed ok but I walked in the last 0.5 mile as I was getting a bit paranoid.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a corker of a ride Reg! Very sensible with the foot.

Sounds painful Philip - explains the weird Strava record though! Hope it goes quickly with a bit of gentle stretching. 

Fair enough Ric. What's the point of that dog she's holding??? I did have my phone (I won't call it a smart phone or Reg will take the mick out of me image) but didn't think to use it until he'd gone. I did get a photo of my leg though, but that only proves how hairy my legs are. Maybe that's the answer - perhaps dogs think my legs are wild animals..... Anyway, my biggest regret was not taking the opportunity, whilst asking for his name and his arrogant insistence on being called Doctor, was not to simply say "Doctor who?"

LSR today. Given the forecast and amount of mud, decided tarmac would be the order of the day. As it happened, I missed most of the run, but still good to get a run in with a relatively constant pace (couple of big hills aside). 16M @7:25 pace makes 56M for the week. Groin/adductor thing was sore again, but not until the very last mile today.

• Cheers Bus.

I'd have offered a free lift to work.....in an ambulance.

Nice long run.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unlucky Phil. Takes a rare bit of sense to jump out midway, a lot of us would instead remain to the bitter end, and cause untold issues!

Which brings us on to Reg image 94miles is a bit insane, but at least the runs seem to be ok again, that's the main thing.

Bus, you should have snapped his mutt, and him, or at least pretended to, to make our threat real and make him think!

16 miles is a big chunk of a 56mile week, phwoarr.

I remained at my standard 13, finishing on the ridiculously suspicious 1:30:00 on the dot without even trying to. 6.55 pace job.
    I see a couple of 180s on the HR in there, must have been on the steepest bits of the climbs...or just random spikes. As I don't have the software/right sort of phone, or much botheration to correct these things, I don't really know if it's a spike or a climb to those points.

Felt fine though, so a biggest mileage week since April. 66.5miles.

Next week promises to be a bit more awkward, with a drive up north late afternoon/lunchtime Tuesday, 2nights up there, then driving back early on Thursday.

Makes sense to have a cutback mileage week.

Might even trim it to 1 quality session non the Friday, to get the medium long run of 10miles in on the Tue morn instead.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a big week SG - a cut back week probably should be on the cards , even if circumstances didn't dictate anyhow. What's your last 6 weeks total looking like?

Data spikes on tech without being able to analyse the info around it don't tell you anything. Have you not got Garmin Express or do you just look at the data on the device?

If you think my LSR is a big %age, take a look at Mee meep - 21 today on a  55 mile week...! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Have had 3 weeks with a 10 midweek, and 2 tracks (tempo + reps), 60.5, 57.5, 66.5.

Haven't gone over 13 for ages now, so imagine those days where the tempo was 6.5m rather than 5, with 3mile warm up, 1/2m cd, and a 16 as the long run! mid and up 60s always felt top whack.

Only look at the watch these days, had a go at looking at setting up Garmin Express, but I "believe", you can only do it with certain types of phone, and can't just do via the net with a link up like the old Garmins..

right people..remember any posts from 1am tonight (Ric? image) until Friday might be wiped due to their "migration", so if you have any all time genius, be careful, as it'll be wiped...

(for those fans who like to read a good 100 pages back a nightimage)

• Bus! 66 mile week I'll have you know!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lol - didn't realise you were still stalking us Mr T image

I guess I shouldn't trust Strava then:  "accomplished his 55mi weekly running goal"  - 66 is more than 55 I guess - doh!

Big week that and a 21  LSR is perfectly balanced off that mileageimage

That's a good moving average SG. Can't you analyse your Garmin uploads on a PC via Garmin express/Connect?  Much easier than faffing around on a phone.

Right, hold tight everyone - see you on the other side!!!!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully nothing serious Phil and sensible to pull out. Did it just common suddenly?

I'd have certainly rounded that ride up to a 100 Reg. OCD in overdrive. Another being sensible in regards to an injury (the walking not the 100 mile ride) what happening to the thread?

Nice long runs SG and Bus. You're certainly plagued with the adductor Bus! It'd drive me mad.

Another decent-ish week. Keeping the Medium long runs going at a steady pace which I've enjoyed doing. P and D doesn't seem keen on them just being plodded out and after last weeks full marathon progression run in 2.47 I was feeling pretty good throughout the week.

Should've been 20 with 12@ MP today but as soon as I started to run outside I was nearly on my arse a couple of times so did it on the treadmill. One thing I didn't need was a 7 mile warm up before the 12 as the gym is like an oven.

Set it at 16.5kph which is about 5.52 pace (PB is 5.54) and fancied just ticking the miles off but I was wrong. Didn't feel great at about 10/11 miles in but put it to 17kph hoping to get my legs turning a bit more which seemed to work for a while. Ended up toying with the pace between 16.5-17 then but started fading over the last 2-3k and was glad to get the 12 done and then shuffled a mile warm down at the end.

Averaged 5.49 for the 12 and I think 6.18s for the 20 for another 100+ week. 'Recovery' week this week is about 80 miles. Hahaha. Might do a parkrun sat.
  • ML84 wrote (see)
    Hopefully nothing serious Phil and sensible to pull out. Did it just common suddenly?

after last weeks full marathon progression run in 2.47 I was feeling pretty good throughout the week.

Noting common about me at allimage But seriously, yes, never had any pain there before and suddenly it was there and sharp. In the office early this morning and trying strides up and down the corridor to see if it is OK and looks liek I can at leas get out for an easy one.

I missed that progressive marathon, just looked it up on Strava, very impressive. Made me giggle, 26.2 miles in 2:47 and you get a Strava badge for "3rd best estimated Marathon effort (2:53:33)"

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Very good training guys. The mileages are stacking up well too.

My training is still alternate run/cycle. Has to be done that way at the moment. Seems if I get a knock or a niggle, running simply makes it worse.

Shame about the dnf Phil. Hope the injury isn't too bad. As I said in regards to myself about XC races, getting injured doing them is why I've stopped. 

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

A lot of posting over the weekend...

Good training going on.  Matt - said it before, but you're an absolute animal.  That run on a treadmill is just mindblowing.

Dogs - I've had a lot of near misses since the turn of the year.  Dog walkers seem to have multiplied here a lot.  One last week actually.  I was running along a relatively wide path and this woman with a dog was taking up the whole path, which was ok, I just ran round on the grassy bit.  No issues.  I shit you not, the woman walked towards me and her dog was on my side of the path.  She was dicking about with the lead I think, but instead of pulling the dog towards her she walked towards her dog, giving it enough lead to make a jump for me.  The little fucker barked and jumped at me.  And she laughed.  Actually laughed.  I think because it really wasn't a menacing dog at all, quite a little shit of a thing.  But that doesn't mean I can't trip over the little bastard or it can't sink its teeth in.  Stupid cow.

Phil - hope that injury doesn't turn into anything.  Very sensible indeed to pull out.

94 mile bike ride!?  Mental.

20 miler for me on Saturday.  Came out at 7:12s.  It was pretty hilly in the first half but I was very surprised to look at the profile afterwards and note a pretty big overall downhill run!  There were enough inclines in there to make me think it would at least have evened itself out!

Had a session this morning, which was supposed to be 2x 10mins @ 5:56-6:00; 5x 3 mins @ 5:31-37; 4x 90s @ 5:25-29 but I was forced onto the rugby pitches which were under 2 inches of snow (and with a nasty little hill between the pitches) (because all the paths were very icy).  It was really hard work!  Came out at 6:24/6:39 for the 10s, 6:18 / 6:34 / 6:35 / 6:38 / 6:37 for the 3s and 6:21 / 6:22 / 6:26 / 6:25 for the 90s.  I'm hoping that the effort of the session translates into something like speedwork!

On another note - my resting HR has been steadily dropping off the past few weeks.  It's now sitting at an all time low of 45.  That's got to be a good sign, right?

• Yes Matt you're doing some impressive stuff at the moment.

100 miles a week just makes me wince, yet on the bike it seems like just a solid mornings work.

Nice long run CC, that quality session seems quite close to it, was it a rest day on Sunday?

Went to ride to work this morning and my chain on the commuter was completely rusted and wouldn't even go round. Got in at 10:30 and my boss is in France, sweet.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Reg - yes, only 2 days after, but because of circumstances I'm probably long running on Thursday this week, so I think that's why the session was put in for Monday.  Otherwise, it would be 2 days before the long run!  Sunday was a day off.  That was the plan, but I was hoping to go out for a run as I missed an 11 miler on Tuesday after my stomach pain hospital visit on Monday night.  Didn't get out though, so my 20 was 2/5 of my total week (which was just under 50 miles!)

I reckon, you should just turn around and go home again Reg.  Your boss won't notice.

• Times New Roman?? ugh

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Fugly: contraction of the f word and ugly, new forum
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ditto, hope it eases Bus. It's a funny sport in that what can seem a huge issue one day, can be forgotten totally in time. Fingers crossed for a day or so ease off.

Clocked a 6.44 average 6miler. Felt excellent. 

I was already gently feeling that things seemed the right level again over the last couple of months, but that final "all clear" has obviously tilted things even more positively.

It's been a very frustrating period, hard to make anyone really understand, as the mileages and paces have been good, the short races have been in and around what i was ever doing, but all at the same time that certainty it didn't feel right. At times it's been stubborn force ticking over,  hopeful that one day i'd be rewarded by being able to pick up where i'd left off.

Hopefully that point is now!

I'm in the throes of changing club now, hoping it goes live for March 1st, so looking forward to getting amongst races again properly!

• YEAH BUT YOU COULDN'T SHOUT ON THE OLD FORUM THOUGH!!!!

•  Made it! Honestly though. Times New Roman - what 80's font land are RW in??
  • Reg and I are faceless as are a few others.
  • :PhilipMJones said:
    Reg and I are faceless as are a few others.

So the new form has improved then :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    are they sticking with the www.runnersworld.co.uk address, and you can navigate from there as usual, just in this new format?
    or is this forums.runnersworld.co.uk the new address?

Or will a lead to b?
    Only RW could make such a gashfest of this.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    not ideal for trying to read minimised either, binocluars anyone?
  • No photo for me either...and don't know how to get it back/change it:

"Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that."

Any ideas? I suppose we will get there in the end. Hope I won't be too much older though.

I have entered the last Friday of the month for March. And day 922 of the current streak, which reminds me I must phone Dr Hill to see how he is faring.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

goodness knows Aley. There's a reason i'm still sporting a shot of me with a club I haven't raced with for about 7 years!!

Anyone checked out their "badges". I've got them for up to 10,000 posts, yet have over 15,000, where's my ahem...15,000 posts badge.

10 years on the forum too! Cripes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Only just noticed the little array of options under posts. treated mmyself to a few disagrees. Though you don't seem to be able to write a message AND use a smiley?!
  • I had to cut and paste the smiley. Sorry I keep banging on about the font - so 70's. If this is the way it is today then I'm going to call all the women in the office 'love', smoke in the office and go down the pub at lunchtime.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ok let's see how we get on over here if that's the way it has to be! Good to see something old fashioned that's capable of annoying you Simon; thought you were into retro with your Casio stopwatch and willingness to stand aside from the strava crowd :)

Anyway a running post; continued trying to get back into reps with my old fav of 10*500 off 70 seconds yesterday. Running into a sleet-storm in one direction didn't help, but all came out similar around 1:45 so that was reassuring. Got a 10k booked for this Sunday, but don't know if its too soon to try that and a 9 am race start in the forecast temperature doesn't appeal either.  

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good reps Pete.
    I've managed to 'bookmark' this new forum address so easy to access.

Moved my training up a notch and doing a basic two hours per day. Most is not running, but the reason is fat burning. Shifted 9lb's since Christmas. No running today, but double figures planned for tomorrow.

Oo! I've got one hour to edit this post. Lets see if it works. I think that's what it means. The time goes down each time I change something. If someone else posts, we'll see if it's (the edit) blocked as usual.

Trying to get a picture. Seems I don't have permission to do that. Hmm, wonder how I get permission then.

🙂