So - do i have to sign in just to view stuff now?

Comments

• I am probably missing something but I have hit a brick wall.

Whenever I go to forums.runnersworld.co.uk it asks me to sign in.

How do you look at the threads without doing that?

(I cant stay signed in as I delete cookies etc on closing as it's not a completely private computer)

Cheers
  • to be fair, if this is the future then I wouldn't bother signing up or in ....
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    I only remain logged in when viewing the forum pages. If I go to events I am logged out, but when I return to the forum I get logged back in. I guess there is some teething issues with the website update, and the different parts of the site are not yet connected together. 
  • I've just registered here as I'm new to running. It seems I can't reply to threads.  But how can I start my own??
  • Welcome Papasmurf.  I think there's now a few days delay between registering and being allowed to start a new thread.  Possibly to deter spammers.
  • Yes I think there is a short delay to stop the spammers..
  • This place is dead now.  Normally pre and post London Marathon there would be hundreds of new threads.  
    Where did everyone go to ? 
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Me, I'm just on here looking for the 'London marathon cheats' page that we had last year (was it Mr I?). Absolutely brilliant, but nowhere to be seen, unless it's on Fetch?
  • I always got confused by Fetch. Then again a lot of things confuse me now - I will have to pay them a visit. 
    Can't believe such a bustling place has gone so quiet. 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Confusion is now the norm for me, but it can be quite a happy place to be, what you no longer understand is so much less of a worry.

Btw, I think if you want to pay a visit to Fetch, that's what they want, i.e. for you to pay. 
  • YOU HAVE TO PAAAAAAYYYY ?
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Pbol sauce said:
    Me, I'm just on here looking for the 'London marathon cheats' page that we had last year (was it Mr I?). Absolutely brilliant, but nowhere to be seen, unless it's on Fetch?
    I returned for the same reason, not sure what fetch is though. I seem to have won a lot of awards and been promoted to level 3 of something in my absence, guess I should go for a run if I'm a level 3
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    well, after  a month or so you'll get a message asking how much you'd like to contribute, not obligatory I don't think, but makes me feel like a cheapskate If I continue to use it, so have wafted back into the ether and the vacant room that is RW website. (Is anybody there?) 
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Honk - it's fetcheveryone. a number of us defected across there. I'd say have a look, but be warned that you will be asked to pay/contribute. It was £5pm or whatever you could manage when I last looked. So I'm back on this website, remembering the good old days when I could just dip in for a minute to look at the discussions, as meaningful or not as they were, a pleasant diversion from work. 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Fetcheveryone is free, although you can pay a bit if you want to. 

The chap who set it up originally did so as a hobby, then it took off.  He was approached by RW a few years back, who offered him a salary to run it as a full time job if they could take it over (I think they paid for the licences, etc., rather than "buying him out").  It ran that way until last year, when they agreed to part company (I think there was a change in the ownership of RW??) and now he runs it himself again, without the safety net of a salary.

Adverts pay for most of it, but I think that's based on traffic, so is unpredictable, so he asked if anyone who was a long term/faithful user if they would contribute even a small amount so that he had at least a minimum guaranteed income.  A fair number of users do, some who maybe only use the training log, probably don't.  It's not obligatory, and any email is probably just generated to anyone not marked as a contributer.

I do pay a small contribution, because unlike this site, he is a hands-on person, who interacts with the members, and makes changes and upgrades in consultation with the users.  It's a busy site, there is a lot of functionality (although it takes a bit of getting used to, because there is a lot of "stuff" there), and is as friendly as this place used to be.

(I am not connected to, or paid by, Fetcheveryone, just a long-time user)
  • ab1385ab1385 ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Trogs">Trogs</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Welcome Papasmurf.  I think there's now a few days delay between registering and being allowed to start a new thread.  Possibly to deter spammers.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    I emailed the team, and apparently it's 3 post responses before you can  post your own topic, rather than a set number of days. 
  • Impressed that you managed to get a response out of them!!
  • HercHerc ✭✭
    For now I can say that this forum has a poor usability. How many random posts I need to make to be able to create my own thread??? Why???? I am new to running, I don't have comments / advice for other runners, why, why???
  • How do I create my own thread?
  • Never mind I read the comments above. Cheers.