Have I overdone it?! Tight calf muscle

Hi all,

A little background to my problem;

• overweight - 5ft 9in @ 15st 3lb (down from 16st 7lb at Christmas)
  • tried c25k, did not get on (later found out pace was too quick in the run sections)
  • built up to 5K once a week at weekends, run 2.5K uphill most days with backpack on my run-commute.  
  • my 5K road time is around 33-34 mins

My problem is, during one of my first 5K runs I pulled up with a painful calf muscle at 4.5K (luckily close to home). I think I had tried to up my distance too quick as my max had been a regular 3K up until then. Anyway I had a few days off running and applied ice to my calf, next run was a 2.5K run home from work and although my calf hurt a little to walk on and go up and down stairs with, during the run it stopped hurting after about 1K and felt OK...until I stopped and then it hurt again and continued to hurt for a few days.

This last week I had 6 days off running and it felt almost pain free, went for a 5K on Sat and it went again about 2K in, making the remainder a mix of walk and running and not very enjoyable!

Does this sound like a calf pull? I would rather not spend money on a physio as it is a bit tight at the moment, and I am scared to take too long off running as I am so new and do not want to lose what little conditioning I do have! I have heard stories of up to a month to heal a calf strain/pull.

I have also just signed up to my local running club, and start meetings next Tuesday, so I am thinking only low intensity cardio (cycle to a from work) until then to try and get it better.

If it makes any difference, It usually starts to hurt after a longish incline period, on the decline it is much less painful and I can get into kind of a steady stride.

So I guess really my question is, anyone had anything similar? Also what does it sound like it may be?

Sorry for the long ramble, I am literally addicted to running now and scared to have to take a long period on sidelines!

Thanks for listening!  B)

Tagged:

Comments

• Its hard to say remotely, but tight muscles and tweaks are pretty common, i'd even go so far as to say normal, when people first start running... the answer is nearly always rest, and gentle stretching until 100% recovered... its very easy to turn a 1 week lay off into  6 week one by going back too soon... in the meantime, gentle cycling is good, and even better if you have the facilities, some swimming, as it is ultra low impact, but great cardio.

The only consolation I can offer is that over time, you not only become far less prone to injuries like this as your body toughens up, but you also get far better at recognising the difference between an ache and a problem... small solace I know, but its all I've got!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • A few days off is no good.  Even a minor tear can take up to 6 weeks to fully heal.
  • Look up a good stretching regime, and stick to it. Pre-run warm ups and post run warm downs even with short runs. Get into the habit.

there is a chance  arches sagging, as a consequence of too much weight. Perhaps a combination of a supportive shoe, with a small heel raise will help.

failing that, see a pro. physio, podiatrist etc.