What do we really think of this new site??

This has got nothing on the old site apart from lots of room for ads. It bland, un-inspiring and hard to navigate.
So RW what prompted the change?
Tagged:

Comments

• Still forming an opinion. A lot of wasted space on the screen and the default font is too small (that can be sorted via browser options, but still ...). I like the notification of new posts on threads I visit, and that I can dismiss the sticky threads at the top that nobody has posted on for years (why are they still there?) Forum avatars are poor and not all have made it from the old site.

Undecided, basically.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Notifications and sorting the PMs are the only plusses.

The rest seems like it's half finished,  swathes of empty white space, especially once you get about 5 messages down a thread, small font, lack of colour differentiation between poster and body of text like there used to be.

Photos disappearing for most users, and no way to put them back in, and for some strange reason not either cutting the old forum off, or at least linking this back into the main site. 
    Real strange behaviour. Can only imagine some financial backer has asked for this to ram more ads in later on
  • its OK... some nice features... I suspect that in very short time scales, we'll have got used to it, and have forgotten about the old version. Just need to get familiar with how it all works!

There does appear to be a few issue yet to deal with though.... some threads aren't working quite properly (the larger ones I suspect), and as Muttley says above, some avatars haven't made it across, mine included... but I can't change the default one for a new one...
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to change the email address associated with a profile?  Mine has been wrong for ages and the email address is now defunct, but I can't see an option to update it on here.

Trying to be positive, uploading a pic from a PC was easy, and it looks like it'll be easy from a phone too (it wasn't possible to do from a phone on the old forum).

I am not sure why they didn't migrate our old "followed threads" over into the new "My Bookmarks" section of the new site, but maybe there was technical reason for that.  I also don't like that on a phone, the first thing you see is quite a large ad, and you have to scroll down to see any content.

All the stuff people have said about the whitespace I agree with, and now how this forum doesn't look the same as the other areas of RW seems strange.  They haven't stuck to their branding across the whole RW site, which seems odd.

Basically, I don't like it but I'm sure we'll get used to it.
  • dunno, but if you go to settings in the top right, and click edit profile... the email field appears to be editable... don't want to change mine, so haven't gone any further than that!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MC, you're probably not going to believe this but earlier that page did not show up for me, but it does now.....
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Very undecided here and need to be persuaded of the benefits of the move. I agree with the previous comments about the swathes of empty white space (the main reason for this seeming to be to feature the ads more prominently). My avatar has not been copied across and I can't see how to add it on here (and don't have the time to go searching). I'm also finding it difficult to see how to change my profile settings. However, my main gripe is that the thread I used to post on (General Running; Mature Runners) has gone awol :# The message on the 'old' site said it would be copied across. I found it on here earlier but now its disappeared. So one of my co-posters from the previous thread has had to create a brand-new one and we've lost all the details from previous postings. Grrrrr ..
  • Big_G said:
    MC, you're probably not going to believe this but earlier that page did not show up for me, but it does now.....
    hee hee... they do seem to be changing configs a bit.... the old 'test' sub forums disappeared earlier today as well, so I do believe you!
  • Don't like the font, can't find how to upload an avatar. Not keen on all the white, either.
  • Pretty much unusable on iPhone, at least until they fix the menu that disappears as soon as you click on it, and some way of jumping to the last post on a thread rather than having to click through all the pages (unless I'm being dim and there is some way to do this?).
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Still seems a work in progress, and my avatar kept disappearing, now gone for good?
  • My biggest issue (now that they've unlocked the ability to update the avatar photo) is the bright white glare... not just all the spare "advertising-ready" white surrounding space but the constant whiteness of the messages as well - like Stevie G said, no shaded band differentiating the poster and the body text. It makes my eyes ache on my laptop!

senidM - your new avatar is just as good though :)
  • edited February 2017
    Is there a option to click "new threads" and "new posts" I use this option on other forums, I can find it on here now 
  • Menu pops out and straight back in on my iPad. Unusable 
  • Same on my phone, doesn't work. Where is the run hub and where have my bookmarks gone. Not impressed with the new platform.
  • Is there a option to click "new threads" and "new posts" I use this option on other forums, I can find it on here now 

In the bigger view on a PC screen there's an option for 'Recent Discussions', which is basically the old 'Latest Posts' option, with all the sticky threads added on top.  I've found you can dismiss those so they don't appear again.  I haven't found that option on the mobile screen though, and the menus don't work on Android either.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    With the menus that run away again, I've found if you are quick you can click on them lol
  • I was hoping that the new platform would be more secure and harder for spammers. But we've already got some cretin flogging kitchen units.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Muttley, I wonder if the Spam Wombles have retained their account privileges on this new forum?
  • Just logged back on today and I seem to have lost two (my only two) threads? I've linked from the original email responses, but they're now just dead links? There was some very useful info on those...any ideas?
    Cheers.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed today that the category of 'Website bugs' has disappeared and all the threads with it.   Maybe RW thinks there will be no need for it...dream on.

I'm struggling to like the new website and what I miss most is that on the old site you could hover over the title of a thread and read the first few lines of the OP so you could tell if the subject was of interest to you.   That doesn't work now >:)
  • edited February 2017
    I agree with all the comments about too much white space, font size too small, difficulty in finding threads, not being able to post my avatar - and worst of all I seem to be persona non grata on here, nobody can read my posts on this new set-up. If anyone sees this please let me know they are able to read me. Thanks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just clicked back on this thread as from listing page it says there's a post from Doubly Bionic Ironwolf at 11:36 but I posted at 11:36 unless I can't see DBI's post

Can anyone else see DBI's post?    There used to be an ignore facility on the old site but I never used it on any forumites
  • Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Feels very empty with all the white space.

They also need to unpin the old threads clogging up the top of the forums.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Shades, I also got a notification about DBI's post, but I cannot see the post.

Edited to add that I do not have anyone blocked, either.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was seeing things, but it's not just me!

I've turned off the email notifications as I was getting an email for every posting, whereas on old site I'd only get one mail per thread.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Trying to be a bit positive, I have now been able to update my email address successfully, which is something I couldn't do on the old site without corrupting my profile.  On the old site there was something wrong with my profile which was never resolved, so notifications were going to a defunct address.   But I'm now getting too many notifications, so will be turning them off anyway :smile:
  • The software appears to have a few bugs in it.... posts that don't appear and entire threads that aren't visible, but still exist if searched for... I hope that Hearst have signed a decent software support contract!
  • Are there any moderators on this new platform? We are still getting trash like kitchens and fake passports etc.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    hillstrider, there used to be a couple (not sure how many exactly) of forumites who had privileges to remove spam, but I am not sure if those privileges got copied across to here....

The fact that the "Website Bug" forum has mysteriously vanished implies to me that RW Towers are taking even more of a backseat on this new platform....