Sub 3

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    That worked well then.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TippTop said:

Dan - nice parkrun, but interesting idea on the trail race. Was the winner the one who finished closest to their prediction or closest to midday?
    Neither actually.  You had to take a numbered token when you started, and the highest number was the winner provided they were back by midday.  Meant that everyone should theoretically finish close together if they were realistic about their ability.  You could take an early number and have loads of time, but you wouldn't be able to beat anyone who started after you (presuming they were back in time).  When I left there were only five of us playing brinksmanship still waiting for each other to leave.  Eventually I left so I could only win if I was back before 12 and the other four had left it too late.

As it happened, two people overtook me and made it home with a couple of minutes or so ahead (quickest did it in 59 mins - going for 2h30 at VLM).  The other two, plus whoever I passed en route were all disqualified.  I didn't wear a watch, and didn't know the course, so it was total luck (or bad luck!) that as I came up the final hill I could hear everyone counting down to zero whilst I was still about 30 yards short of the line.

Great idea, as it made everyone finish close together (a bit like a handicap) and almost everyone who beat their own prediction was there to see the winner cross the line. 
  • Charlie: funny you should say that, I have always got dead on 13.1 for Wokingham on the Garmin and so have wondered about the length, but as the course doesn't change I assume it will have been measured multiple times over the years.

Marders: a rare honour. Now Marigold needs to pop in....

DanA: sounds like quite a fun format

In Hamburg for work so will also (as for AlP) go running-tourism tomorrow morning, probably a safe time to go down the Reeperbahn if I can find it.

• Blimey, not sure I can cope with all the upheaval - first the thread morphs into something alien and then Marders pops in! Mind you, the comment about the similarity of my avatar to TR's, shows that at least some things don't change  :). Great to see you on here Marders and congratulations on the recent dazzling performances.

PP - sounds like the achilles isn't anything serious so that's great news.

Dan - that does sound like a fun race format, I wonder if it will catch on elsewhere.

Easy 10M tonight. It seems to have warmed up a bit, hope it lasts.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

To fill in my missing weekend.. 15.1m Saturday which was Park run + 12m, cold & wet.  Couldn't face the latter again so14.3m on the treadie on Sunday (weather dreadful up here).  Near as I could get to one of LMH's patented consecutive double long runs. Rest day & pie eating Monday then back to it with 4+8m today.

Marders.. pleased to note elsewhere you did enough December mileage to burn off surplus turkey, Xmas Pud, mince pies etc.  Sorry I missed you at the Yorkshire Marathon, didn't realise you were running until Mrs Wardi said she gave you a shout at circa 17m.

PP.. encouraging diagnosis, easy does it 'til you know it's healed completely.

Piscator.. top run at Wokingham after recent circumstances.

Dachs.. as elsewhere different gravy son.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    PP - sounds like good news. That stretch sounds like torture though!

Dan - nice training over the weekend. That trail run format sounds like fun, although I guess it's tricky to estimate if you don't know the course.

8M this morning consisting of about 5.5M with the dog then into work with a rucksack. Most of the run with the dog was at or under 6:30 pace and she seemed very comfortable, so I might try a parkrun with her at some point - will just need to be careful lapping people and making sure her lead doesn't trip people.
  • DanA -- nice parkrun, but that DQ was harsh! (You remind me of what I've read of the Comrades finish, where an official with his back to the runners fires a gun after 11 hours and anyone after that is unrecorded -- so there's always some poor sod just yards from the line in the backgrounds.)

Al_P -- well done again on your Wokingham PB, and yes that'll be Kevin from my club, who completely surprised himself. Looks like he'll (finally) annihilate me in VLM this year. Worth the trip, clearly...

Dachs -- ha, you've called your own bluff marathon-wise after that stellar half! Cracking.

I averaged 22M per day on Sun/Mon/Tues, may be 20ish today as well, so hopefully I can bag 100 by Thurs, have all of Sat and maybe even Fri off, and come up smiling on Sunday.
  • Nice miles Charlie - put a few in for me. Was knocked over by a car on my run this morning, just back from hospital (ambulance job) no major damage fortunately but a fair few bumps and bruises which are no doubt going to feel worse in the next couple of days and the possibility of a bruised lung which I need to keep an eye on. 66 days to London:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ouch LMH! :o  Was it daylight or dark?  No doubt you will have to take it easy for a while but your endurance won't disappear overnight.  Get well soon!

Fantastic Charlie, are the legs getting used to it? 
  • Just before 1000hrs - and I was wearing bright pink! Definitely a couple of days off at least I fear. Could have been much worse. Time to recover and crack on without doing too much damage to my London campaign I hope - as long as the lung doesn't turn out to be bruised.
  • Blimey LMH, that's not good.  Hope there's no lasting damage.  Did they stop?
  • LMH, that is outrageous. I hope you get over it quickly and I further hope that the driver gets a visit from the police.

Padams, blimey, sounds like I'm not even as good a runner as your dog :)

10M with 5x0.5M today. I was pleasantly surprised to average 2:45 for the half-mile intervals. I'd say that's 7-10s faster than the same session in my previous marathon campaigns. Seems like the extra miles are paying off.
  • Hope you're okay,  LMH
  • The driver was distraught to be fair, I could hear him on the phone to the ambulance saying 'I ran her over with my car'. Police attended and I told them that I thought it was a total accident though how he couldn't have seen me I don't know.

I expect to be somewhat stiffer tomorrow and just hope that the chest/lung thing resolves quickly as that's the most limiting thing at the moment. Just so frustrated.
  • Dan A said:
    TippTop said:

Dan - nice parkrun, but interesting idea on the trail race. Was the winner the one who finished closest to their prediction or closest to midday?
    Neither actually.  You had to take a numbered token when you started, and the highest number was the winner provided they were back by midday.  Meant that everyone should theoretically finish close together if they were realistic about their ability.  You could take an early number and have loads of time, but you wouldn't be able to beat anyone who started after you (presuming they were back in time).  When I left there were only five of us playing brinksmanship still waiting for each other to leave.  Eventually I left so I could only win if I was back before 12 and the other four had left it too late.

As it happened, two people overtook me and made it home with a couple of minutes or so ahead (quickest did it in 59 mins - going for 2h30 at VLM).  The other two, plus whoever I passed en route were all disqualified.  I didn't wear a watch, and didn't know the course, so it was total luck (or bad luck!) that as I came up the final hill I could hear everyone counting down to zero whilst I was still about 30 yards short of the line.

Great idea, as it made everyone finish close together (a bit like a handicap) and almost everyone who beat their own prediction was there to see the winner cross the line. 
    That sounds great fun!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    LMH - hope you're OK after that. Sounds horrible.  I guess we've all been in so many near misses where cars jump red lights, turn left across us etc.  So many bad drivers are only looking out for other cars and miss runners and cyclists.  Last week I saw the immediate aftermath of a nasty car & bike collision where the car had turned right across the traffic and failed to see the bike that he mowed down.  Emergency services had just arrived when I passed, but it looked pretty bad.

Best course of action is to assume all drivers are blind to you.  Plenty of time to use it as enforced rest and get back to it in a week or two.
  • Ouch LMH! Hopefully you feel better asap! I hate to say it, but nowadays if a driver doesn't see somebody my first thought is usually that they were messing about on their phone - seems to be a major issue around me judging by the amount of drivers going past with their heads down instead of on the road.............

Good news PP!

Dan - sounds like a great idea to do it on token numbers!

Dachs - hold down <shift> + press <enter> for a new line. Frankfurt or Amsterdam?

Nice intervals ES.

• LMH - Nooo!  Take care, hope there's no lasting damage.

Dachs - Funny, I was thinking about your previous no-marathon comments, sub-2:30 must be on now surely.  Even if you've got plans for shorter stuff over the Summer, I've had good experience of racing myself fit and just topping things up with high mileage and the odd long run/marathon-shaped tempo run, for my last couple of marathon PBs.  Even more doable if you choose one of the later Autumn races.

Good signs on this evening's 7 mile test run. Still some tenderness, but I guess that's to be expected as the inflammation dies down.  Range of movement and the tip-toe test are virtually normal, and running itself definitely feels more symmetric than it has done for a while, since I can actually toe off on the left foot without compensating. Easy running only till the weekend, when I'll try another long run.
  • Good news PP.

I feel much better than I was expecting too this morning but won't be running for a couple of days, whilst I could probably stumble round a mile or two it's not going to have any training benefit and may delay recovery.
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Morning All! Daily reader of the forum picking up invaluable advice on every visit! Sporadic poster at best since joining the Sub3 club last year at Abingdon (2:58).

Sorry to hear about the accident LMH! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Similarly to Electric Sheep, a couple of my friends and I are halfway through 18 weeks of training for Boston marathon! Well in to only double digit days to go now and the excitement builds week on week alongside the miles. Following P&D 70-85 plan, making sure to take every Recovery Run and GA as steady as possible! That being said, some speedy stuff planned for the very short term now, monthly 5mile flat race tonight followed by XC on Saturday and a Yasso workout within the long run Sunday. Day off from work tomorrow though so a very steady recovery run in between.

Cheers,

GBRM

• Sensible LMH.

Good news PP.

Track last night for me. 5km, 2m, 1m, with 1 lap jogs between. Ran at HM, 10m and 10k pace, respectively, and got 18:14, 11:36, 5:39 (despite the usual necessity of running a lot in lane 2) which is probably there or thereabouts right. Slowly but surely starting to come back.

• Thanks GBRM.

You do seem to recover fitness quickly TT.

Not quite as good as I thought this morning, first thing one of the other dog walkers said when she saw me was 'are you limping?'.
  • LMH, that's a very sensible approach to recovery - in complete contrast to what many of us would have done!

A rare double day for me yesterday.  Lunchtime half mile intervals were followed by 4x1 mile at the track after work.  All pretty solid without being spectacular, which is OK.  Good track session from TT too, I see.

• LMH - again all the best on a speedy recovery.

GBRM - well done for de-lurking! Glad the training is going well, and bravo for treating recovery runs as proper recoveries. I had to train myself to slow down on those runs, and it's definitely benefited me.

PP - sensible approach, glad it's working.

Tried a partial commute run today - hopped off the train early and 5M into work. I need to learn to pack lighter though - 4.2kg in the rucksack made it a lot harder than it ought to have been.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - blimey, that sounds a bit scary. Hope you recover quickly.

CW - massive mileage.

TT - sounds like it's coming back pretty quickly. And good to hear PP is recovering too.

CD - two interval sessions in a day? That's taking a double to new levels!

Did 12M yesterday in total once I'd run home, which is a big day for me. Didn't run with the dog this morning, just took her to the park and threw a ball around, which seemed to tire her out much more than running with a slowcoach like me! Aiming to get out for a lunchtime run soon.
  • Apologies if I was out of sequence earlier -- I was thrown by the 'Leave a Comment' box being at the bottom of what was probably not the last page at the time...

Glad you're OK LMH. I don't have to run along any pavementless roads as a rule, so my only worries are my own road-crossings (try not to be too reckless as I think I've cut it a bit fine sometimes in the past). I am much more worried than I used to about just cycling on country roads though; in the old days, you could assume someone who'd seen you for quarter of a mile wouldn't just run into you. Now some people are down on their mobiles for seconds at a time I fear that's no longer true...

Wardi -- no my legs aren't really used to it, a lot of my "running" has been at around 9m/M. It feels hideous, but this kind of regime did seem to help me before VLM and York last year. Today is my last day of a 5-day streak which will total a little over 100M, then I'll take a couple of days off before my Sunday long run: it's the new 5-2 diet :-) (Yesterday I'd totalled 125M for a rolling week, as I happened to have a really big day last Thurs.)

• I was just crossing a side road pavement to pavement Charlie.

CD - I just have to actually stick to it now........

Do you have a good running backpack ES?

Padams - we used to take two balls out when Grace was young as she'd start to just drop one further and further away. I think it's a good interval session for them:-)
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - yes, I always take two balls as in the past once she has the ball she doesn't come back as she already has the highest level of reward! So I use the 2nd ball to get her back and to make her drop the 1st. The problem comes when she prefers one ball to another and the 2nd ball isn't a good enough incentive...

6M done (39 mins), perfect weather for it for once. Funnily enough I had a bit of a close call crossing a road at some traffic lights, but to be fair it would have been my fault.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

LMH.. from what I know of lung bruises they can be anything from a bit of a nuisance to life threatening; hope your is the former!  Just to emphasise how close we are to total disaster - one of my club mates who has run for 30 odd years, climbed & descended some of the world's biggest mountains - ruptured his patellar tendon in a freakish bathroom incident.  He was in straight leg pot for 7 weeks, 3-4 months on he can walk with a limp as full flexibility of the knee is still some way off. 

Charlie.. nice to hear you're only human!  Still an impressive 5 day streak. 

Padams/LMH.. enjoying the pet tricking/bribery stories.

TT.. encouraging track session!

Ran 20.2m this morning on no more than a yoghurt and a cup of tea.  It did feel harder than usual and a large bowl of porridge was downed on my return.  After LMH's misfortune I did wear green hi-viz in the daylight FWIW. 

• That's where the sausages come in handy Padams:-)

Nice long run on a school day Wardi. I think it's more likely that I've pulled a muscle/muscles fortunately. It doesn't seem to have got any worse and moving y arm is now more of an issue. Doesn't help that it's the side that I smashed in my big accident a couple of years ago:-(