P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Good luck with the shoulder for the HM JCG.

Nice run spoons, sounds like a bit of a confidence boost for pacing.

Hi SBD, I'm running Brighton. My current pb is 3:38 but that was with stomach issues so the aim is to definitely get under 3:30 but sneak under 3:15 if I can. Then I will see how well I recover for what I do at London.

• Greetings SBD. How did you get on at Wokingham?
    Here's the list of Brighton Threadsters
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59
    SBD 55-70 18w 2:59 
    Rob1978 55-70 18w 3:25
    Trirunningfaster
    Fat Boy Trim

Have fun with the 6am start & parkrun Millsy. It's not that early mind, Tom's done & showered by then usually  ;)
    Good running SQ & Spoons. Not surprised you struggled to get to LT pace given that Worthing was pretty much run at that pace anyway & you've done 60+ miles this week already.
    Good luck with the shoulder JCG.  

8M with 10x 0.1M strides for me today. Again the run felt easy although the strides certainly weren't. Parkrun then XC for me tomorrow. It's the final race of the Glos League in Pittville Park, Cheltenham & I've got some new spikes to try out :)
  • Not only that Jooligan, Tom's also had his breakfast of porridge and Guinness.
  • I was up at 5:30 this morning and did a long swim, I've felt shite all day. I don't know how he does it.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You get used to it. I feel similar about running in the evenings....everyone's different. Porridge and Guinness...there's an idea!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Calling Beer O'Clock. Is it just me or has anyone else got the rungers? Can't stop eating at the moment-just opening second bag of peanuts to go with the IPA and all this before a large steak and chips for dinner!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Curry in about half an hour. Starving. Can't wait. 
  • Yes Tom me too, I had two pasties and a bag of minstrels for lunch. The fuel of champions! B) 
  • Not beer o'clock here yet. Cars just out on the track for a practice session. Had to come inside for a sec as it's roasting. No running for me - still struggling. 

Good luck anyone racing this weekend.
  • Ahhhh - Joe has popped up on my Facebook feed. Fortunately not in his speedos.
    Beer o'clock here when I get in from work.  I think I've earned it after today's 7@ LT :p
    Good luck with the HM JCG and the XC Jools, and anyone else racing.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agree regarding the hunger. My 3rd 70 mile week and I can't stop stuffing my face. 
    Not beer o'clock for me until tomorrow afternoon although with my early start I may well fall asleep in the pub (again) 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice MP run there Spoons. You seem to be in great form at the moment.

Great mileage Jooligan. Maybe you bonked on the 20 due all that turbo training.

Tidy MLR as ever Tom.

As everyone has stated, 7 @ LT is just silly so I did 6.2 instead! Was hoping to hold 6:20 pace. First three miles were on target but after a U-turn the lap pace really dropped and I was struggling to stay under 6:30 after that. Still, managed the 10k in 39:50 which is a training PB. Wiped out now and seem to have a bit of what Joe is suffering from! 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Welcome SBD and good luck for Brighton, those sound like a few great mileage weeks. 

Fantastic solo effort ramjet, that's got to be worth an extra minute if it was in a race. 

How did your 7@LT go macca?

As I'm on a recovery week I thought I'd fit in a parkrun this morning. Woke up late so realised I wouldn't make it to the usual one in time, instead headed to a closer one that I've been avoiding. The reason is because there's a steep hill In the middle of each of 3 loops so I knew it wouldn't be fast. The first time was OK and managed to keep momentum going, the second time it was definitely hard effort and the third time was brutal and I was almost walking at the top. Finished in 20:03 in 4th but beaten by a 12 year old girl! Happy that I got a decent workout though and will cruise tomorrow's 14 miles
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Excellent LT session Ramjet-pacey!

Good parkrun effort John-that 12 year old girl must be pretty useful!

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend (Jools, JCG?)

Rest day for me today..start of Half Term-get in!
  • 40 mins on the spin bike yesterday and going to try a longer run later today

Yeah you lot , use your real names on here so we know who you are  ;)

Tom probably laughs at us all when we say 6am is early, he's already back from his run by then

Looking forward to watching the Birmingham Indoor meeting later  :)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice work john and ramjet.

How's the knee Scott. Is it still giving you trouble?

Wife and kids away at the inlaws so got out for a 15 mile trail run.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Nice to have a free house for a bit HA. Nice MLR......any other plans in their absence?

Hope that knee is better now Scott? Might have a look at the Birmingham meet myself although running indoors seems like a strange concept to me and one that makes very little appeal.

• Thanks for the race good wishes all. Tested out my arm strapping by pacing a friend around parkrun this morning. Right on 30.00, I was very proud of my timing skills. It was her first ever run outdoors. Arm feels no worse than before the run, so all systems go for tomorrow!

Reg - I find swimming is the worst for tiredness, a 7am run, no problem, 7am swim session and I'm messed up for the rest of the day. 

That's some speedy 12 year old girl John! That course sounds rough, my local parkrun includes hills so I'll drive to a different one if I'm chasing a PB.  

• Our local parkrun female record (17:40) is held by a 12-year-old girl. I'm still not convinced though that racing 5k hard is a great thing for little kids to be doing all the time.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tom Coop. Glad the shoulder was ok today.

Tom - They're due home this arvo so nothing exciting planned. Just cleaning up after my diy efforts.

I remember racing at 12 I'd only do 2km, then moved up to 4 km when I was 13.
  • Make the most of it HA!

Yes the knee seems to be getting there, continuing with all the stretching, rolling and strengthening which seems to be helping  :)

Nice pacing that JCG!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good efforts John and Ramjet. 
    Great pacing JCG. 
    21:16 for me at parkrun with a 16 mile warm up. Almost got beaten by a 9 year old! But managed to hold on in the finish straight. 
    Beer o'clock is 5pm for me. I don't think I'll stay awake after 9. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good job you had a decent warm up Millsy otherwise that 9 year old might have beaten you! How long was the cool down? 8 miles? Seriously though that's a very good early Saturday workout. Enjoy the Beers!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just the 1 mile warmdown Tom. Just to bring up 20 on the Garmin and satisfy my OCD. If the 9 year old had beaten me id have really kicked up a fuss about him being "unaccompanied" 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well done Millsy cracking finish to a long run there: bang on sub 3 MP :)
    Top LT session Ramjet. Sub 40 in training is great work.
    Surely you could have found a second/lap John ;)
    Top pacing JCG & good luck tomorrow.
    Love trail running HA - planning to do my 20M double loop through the forest tomorrow though may make something else up.

Tom13 said:

Rest day for me today..start of Half Term-get in!

Are you a teacher then Tom?

Cracking day's racing for me started with a PB at my second most frequented parkrun. I led from about 200m to the 3K mark when I got overtaken by the barcode scanner who was getting stick the whole time he was behind me. Just held off the 13 year old lad (who also PBd) to finish 2nd in 18:46. After breakfast & coffee I headed over to Cheltenham for the final Glos League fixture of the season. Legs felt a bit stiff during the warm-up but once the first climb of the race was out of the way I started to flow & worked my way through people. 3 and a bit laps of flat out racing later I finished in 61st & 3rd scorer for the club behind our 2 U20 stars (17th & 18th, Bronze & Silver medallists for the season) & while I'd like to say the pace was consistent I'd be lying as I was definitely slowing significantly by the final lap. A dryish but undulating course with a stream crossing & several sharp banks though so very happy with 39:31 for the 6M particularly after my reverse taper this week.

• Best of luck tomorrow JCG.

Very impressive hardiness there Jooligan.

Good long running with a fast finish Millsy. 

Like Lit's 12 year old girl I did 5k in 17.40 for my first threshold run of this training block this morning. 40 running miles and 8 elliptimiles under my belt for this week with a long run to do tomorrow.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I am indeed Jools-hence the crazy early starts to get in for work at 7:30ish. Just a typical day for you then with a big race double! Incredible stuff-very well done! 
  • Snap Tom - just finishing half-term here in Glos though. Cheers
    17:40 for a 5K threshold run Muddy shows you're in pretty good shape surely. Did you forget 'fool' in front of 'hardiness' btw ;)
  • Snap Tom - just finishing half-term here in Glos though. Cheers
    17:40 for a 5K threshold run Muddy shows you're in pretty good shape surely. Did you forget 'fool' in front of 'hardiness' btw ;)
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Impressive way to finish a long run Millsy, shows good speed endurance for a sub 3. 

Jooligan - great racing again, do you have many weeks of non- racing?  :p Those extra 3 seconds were a bit annoying as I ran it all on feel and there was no one around me to race. It's a tough course though and I didn't have much left at the end!

Muddy - that's a fast threshold pace, you must be confident of translating it to a speedy marathon. 

HA77 nice long trail run, I'm lucky to have the choice of a mix of trails and road so it keeps me from getting bored without needing to drive somewhere for a run. 

Good to hear you're on the up Scott