14 year old - 2 mile run?

I completed a 2 mile run in 18 minuets. Is this good for someone of my age? 

qwertyK
Tagged:

Comments

• Its good that any 14 year old is doing something outside and physical in my book... so well done!

As for how good it is compared to others I wouldnt worry about that.... concentrate on improving your time next time out and compare your own times.  Plenty of 14 year olds will be quicker and slower than you, but most of them will be sat at home doing no exercise at all ... you beat all of them!

• Its a good start. Look up parkrun for a weekly 3m run that welcomes 14 year olds.
  • I have a very keen 9 year old runner. He has completed as many races as we can find that allow him to race due to his age. We regularly attend our local park run, and he has just completed his first 10k trail run (53.18). Can anyone point me in the direction of any races between 5-10k that allow 9 year olds to race. It is very hard to find anything other than fun runs. I am afraid he will get bored without some challenging runs
  • There are a few National Trust places that have monthly 10k runs, but they're untimed so you might think they're just 'fun runs'.  Other than that there will be very few, UKA rules won't allow 9 year olds in races of that distance.

That said, have you thought about finding him a club to join?  He may find racing shorter distances against kids his own age more challenging than just going longer and longer.

• Thanks for the response and advice. He often runs with me, and enjoys the challenge of a little longer run than the many 5k's available. I am conscious of his age, and not wanting to put any adverse strain on his muscles and joints, so have to try and kerb his enthusiasm. That said i do not think the odd longer run will be a negative.

He is joining a local athletics club shortly, which should give him some further challenges.
  • My 13 yr old son yesterday did a compulsory school X country run that consisted of a 6 mile walk out - on roads and a 5 mile X country run back across steep, muddy and slippery terrain. He did it but is now off school completely knackered and stiff etc. Many fellow students slipped and fell several times on the terrain. One had an asthma attack, another collapsed. The whole event took around 3 hours. It was a race - with medals for 1,2,3 and place numbers given to others, with points to houses if you achieved certain placings. If you could not complete you had to go back on what was called the "bus of shame". My son is sporty, he rides a horse and plays teams games, he is fit and healthy. However he does not normally run - nor do many of the students. The training at school consisted only of running around a field several times - no training over the terrain and certainly no training over the distance covered. I personally think it is too much to ask the children to achieve and that there should be more categories with race lengths picked according to ability and more training over the actual terrrain and training to achieve the distance you are expected to achieve on the day. Surely this is asking for trouble health and safety wise? However I am not a runner so I thought I should ask you - as more experienced runners - what do you think of this? Thanks, A
  • lucy - that is too far really for most youngsters to run. Walk yes, but when you think that in national competitions for teenagers they don't run very far at all....for example, an 18 year old at my school represents GB in mountain running but the distance is around 4k. As a parent I would be asking the school why they were running so far - mind you, I would also check the facts first as kids can stretch the truth a little....it might not actually have been that far!
  • Check the distances as mathschick says - for a 13 year old who runs regularly 5 miles would be fine, plenty do it all the time, but to expect an entire school year to manage it over cross country is stretching things, to say the least.
  • congratulation, Its a good start!!!!
    Savvycom - Software development Company - Mobile and Web Design
  • Get him in athletics club, healthy competition and timed races, running with other kids, beating your weekly run times, he'll love it!
  • That`s quite good actually. I would say it is a solid beginning. For sure you can and you will improve if you continue training. The issue is whether you can be consistent with your food and living habits. You will not become good (relatively to the top professionals) unless you sleep enough, train hard, deprive yourself from party, drinks and unhealthy food. You make your decisions every day so make them wisely. Choose between the sport greatness and everything else.