Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Mowzer, I'd sleep on it (obviously, you're tired - more so because you didn't get a comfortable sleep). You've done some amazing things but perhaps, if you are not enjoying certain things, it may be time to re-evaluate. Avoid the dark races if you don't like them, and as Big G says, try a different challenge. Shorter races, obstacle races, foreign races - whatever you need. Or have a little break. You're awesome and nothing can take that away.

Suz - there are plans out there (Hansons springs to mind) that cap out at 16 miles, but they're very intense. Probably not the best thing for injuries.
    You have time to try a longer run or two if you need to. A year ago I was training for my first marathon and really hurt myself in the gym (this was mid-December). Groin strain. Couldn't walk without pain, let alone run. Hell, I couldn't even stand with my feet together or sit with my legs crossed. I got through it by doing a lot of yoga - modified at first, but by mid-January I had a lot of my mobility back and was able to start running again. I'd already got up to 17 miles before the injury but a month off put me from ahead of the game to behind it. I managed to get a half marathon done in February, then worked up from there. I got one 20 miler in before my race. It hurt, a lot. Then the marathon. The last six miles are going to be painful no matter your training. I run/walked and swore a lot, but I finished. You can finish too. It won't be pretty, but if you take it slow, walk when you need to, you can get it done.
  • Thank you jugula - I am doing the Paris marathon 
  • Thank you cal jones - great to hear your experience. My last half marathon was October last year but then since then I've been on and off with a couple of injuries. I have only now done 11 miles as my longest run since coming back from injury and with the time I have left to train and not increase my mileage too much week I am thinking I am only going to get up to 16/17 miles before tapering down. But as I say I am happy to run/walk would really just want to get to that finish line. 
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Paris is a bit more glamorous than Southampton where I'll be running my April marathon!
    No offence to Southampton of course!
  • Shades - Aye not doing too badly, on a second set of pills for stomache issues. Now on Buscopan as well which appears to be doing the job. Next consultant appt in 2-3 months time.

Been running some albeit nothing long or frequent yet. Seem to have inadvertantly discovered a nice 5kish route from home which pretty much has zero on road running and some nice bumps in it. Just been round it in fact a minute faster than thursday morning. Not bad being its dark and i can go faster in daylight.

Still out cycling albeit not a lot in the winter weather as i prefer it to not be freezing cold ;) Passed 1000 miles in total on the way to sellafield for a meeting thursday.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jugula and Shades-Good long runs there.
    Emmy -Welcome back, 55 for a 10k buggy run sounds really good.
    SK-Well done on the sub 20,getting back towards peak fitness. 
    Cal -Another PB,very well done.1:55 should be on at some point. 
    Mowzer-Sounds like a bad day at the office,take some time to think before you rush to cancel anything.
    Taper week here so 9 miles today,took it really easy so was surprised it came out at the fastest I do lsr at,really felt easier than that.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done, that's a great PB especially as you had that dilemma of running round the block to see if you thought you could get to the start line at all.
    I would expect my Garmin to measure 13.2 easily for a half, if mine measures less than 26.4 for a full I would suspect a short course.  Most Garmins over measure and even in the handbook it tells you to expect that.

Emmy - you don't have an avatar at the moment!   Good to hear the dogs have accepted Evelyn and just ignore her.

Big G - you're nearly in taper period anyway so the work is done.

SK - I know I'm always moaning about the cold but even if I'm dressed warmly my muscles never seem to warm up.   It's about 11 degrees here this morning and I've just had a lovely run, I feel I can relax and run better when it's a bit warmer.
    I switched off my emails on my profile, maybe you need to do that on your laptop instead of your phone?
    Well done on the sub 20, you're getting your speed back and you know that on race day that marathon pace will be there and feel easier.

mowzer - that sounded like another nightmare event!   Big G is right, you need to choose what you want to do.    It's so easy to get drawn into doing events by other folk, but you have to work out what you enjoy most and do that.    I'm very fussy, as you know ;)  and that's because I want to enjoy my races.

Suzsaville82 - Welcome to the thread.    Of course you can do your marathon with only a longest run of 16/17 miles, it might be a little tougher near the end but as you're prepared to run/walk if necessary then you'll be fine.    Are you still injured?
    What I would suggest is that you rewrite your own training plan to fit into the time you have left, if you want any help we can do that for you.    What's your longest run so far?    Which marathon are you doing?

Had a great run this morning, legs felt really fresh despite yesterdays long run.    No cyclists on pavements today but when I was stopped at the traffic lights on my way home a car drove up on the pavement and only stopped a couple of feet from me.    Bloody stupid woman driver, the look of horror on the driver's face of the car behind her was a picture.   Big G will know the junction....she was coming from the town and first in the queue to turn right into Keyberry Road for Sainsburys.    The driver waved at me and mouthed 'sorry', stupid cow.   >:)
  • Emmy - I'd agree with the others.. a 10k training run in 55mins is definitely speedy (with or without a buggy!). Love the name Evelyn  :)
    Cal - Fab PB.. well done.
    Big G - Creat to run through two countries on one run ha!
    Ian - That's a good sign that your lsr felt easy and was fast too.
    Suz - Welcome to the thread. Of course you can do Paris.. just take it easy from the start. The atmosphere will be fantastic and that will help carry you round too.
    SK - Well done on your sub 20. I've managed to avoid doing a timed 5k up until now so I can live in blissful ignorance of exactly how slow I am over that distance! Looking forward to Shades digging out those windy Brighton photos  ;)
    Mowzer - Nobody can EVER accuse you of wimping out. I can't believe you do those sort of mega events as a matter of course and also that you are prepared to sleep on a camp bed or in a tent afterwards. The event sounded really tough and then to have no hot water for even a shower afterwards.. horrific. Do things that you enjoy  :)
    Shades - Well done on that long run. Sounds like a scary encounter with that car this morning. Unbelievable.
    I actually come from Porthcawl which is a small town on the coast between Swansea and Cardiff. My dad lives in Cardiff bay now but mum is still in Porthcawl (as are my old schoolfriends) so I spend most of my time there when I go back home. Had a quick look at the Parkrun site and people seem to be quite nippy so I'm pretty confident I can come up with an excuse not to do it  B)

• Not sure I like the new forums!!

SK - Well done on the sub 20 and the 16 with 12, which is a tough session.
    Cal - Great running for another PB, well done. I'll also be at Thorpe Park
    Mowzer - Take some time to think about what you want to do before cancelling anything. It might be that after a rest (for however long) that you will start enjoying it again. It sounds like a VERY tough run and you still finished in a great time for that distance, well done.

As for me...can't remember when I last posted! Not working, but have met with agencies so I can get the ball rolling on the job front. Running has been going well and I feel good while running 50 mile weeks. Started the Vo2Max sessions, done a 5*800m and a 5*600m at 5k pace, and both hurt!! Realised that while they might be good for me I don't like training at the faster end of things!! Also found it tough to keep the pace consistent. Did a 21 miler last weekend and a 18 miler this weekend. Using Thorpe Park HM to do my 18 miles with 14 at MP, which I'm expecting to be a tough session.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've just realised that when I posted on here this morning, my screen hadn't updated from sometime yesterday....new forums  >:)

Ian5 - I thought your marathon was the first weekend in March but it's this coming weekend isn't it?
    Yesterday's run is just what you need in a taper to make you feel good for the forthcoming race.

Keith - good to hear that the tablets are working and you're getting some running and cycling done.

mamafox - with your tendonitis doing parkrun would not be advisable at all....I can forbid you if that makes you feel any better? ;)

Steve - this non working is good isn't it.  :)   Nothing you can do now but wait for the agencies to come up with some tempting jobs.
    Putting your MP training sections in a race seems to be the best way to avoid that so hard speed training on your own.

Suz - sorry I didn't see your post saying you were doing Paris.   As you have half marathon experience and if you're not injured now you can certainly get your long runs up to 20 miles if you want.   How well do you recover from your races and long runs?
    You could do long runs for the next few weekends like this:-
    w/e 26/02/2017  14 miles
    w/e 05/03/2017  17 miles
    w/e 12/03/2017  12 miles - a step back week
    w/e 19/03/2017  20 miles
    that would give you a 3 week taper before race day
    Just make sure you do your long runs at the correct pace, nice and slow.
  • Glad you had a nice run, Shades, aside from the idiot driver. Gah!

Ian - yeah, that'll be the next goal. Could take a while, though... I'm likely to be going to China in the first two weeks of September so that rules out a lot of the Autumn halves, although I'm doing Royal Parks in October. I'm not sure that will be a fast one though due to the sheer amount of runners.

Emmy - agree with the others. 55 minutes with a buggy is amazing!

mamafox - I kind of suck at 5K too. Interestingly, my HM splits on Sunday were quite similar to my 10K splits. I have a hard time running much faster than 8:40 pace. Out of all my miles at Hampton Court, only three were over 9 (slowest was 9:07) - most were in the 8:40s and 8:50s. That should translate to a much faster 5K (25:35 - 8:14 minute miles). I've done 25:52 (twice, once at parkrun and once on a track) but that was me going as hard as I could and most of my parkruns are over 26. I assume I'd have to do a lot more interval training to get faster but since I'm focussed on marathon right now, that ain't going to happen any time soon.

Steve - good news on the job and running front! If you spot me at Thorpe, come and say hello. Doubt I'll be able to replicate this weekend's performance but I said that about Ealing after breaking the 2 hour barrier for the first time at Richmond the week before, and I knocked another 40 seconds off. I guess I'll see how I feel on the day.

On that note, rest day today so I got a massage. My masseur is also an osteo so he did a few back adjustments. There's nothing very wrong, fortunately, but one of the lumbar vertebrae was out slightly so he put it back.
    The inside ankle niggle seems to be down to tight tibialis and soleus (the whole inner lower leg is quite tender) so he recommended rolling that as much as possible.
    I also asked him about the pins and needles in my left foot (that also happened on Sunday and lasted about two miles). He couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it was down to impact shock. My legs are quite different from one another which might explain why it only happens on the left but eh, whatever. It's more a nuisance than anything.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Mowser: Well done on your race. I'd agree with the others to give it a few days/week and see how you feel. I'd not can anything yet but look at how you feel after a few more races.

Suz - I'd recommend looking up the Paris forum on here. They're a fantastic bunch and really made Paris when I did it. Personally, i'd want to do more than 16 miles as if you're not experienced in Marathons, it's likely to kick your ass during the race.

Shades - I've tried to upload one but whenever I do, i seem to get an error :( 

Mama - I used to go to Porthcawl with my parents! It's a lovely small town!

1Steve - My parents live 5 minutes from Thorpe Park. Are you local? I looked at the race but not sure that I could stomach that much for a race.

A nice and easy run for me this morning with the dogs and buggy (if you can picture me running with two huskies and running jogger... it's a juggle act!). I think I could be coming down with a virus as my heart rate is a little elevated and i'm feeling a dead leg syndrome... although it could also be the huge headwind that i had for most of the run!

Is there anyone here running Rotterdam by chance? I'll be there in April :)
  • Firstly thank you all for the kind welcome. I have looked on other threads and some people are not as kind! Just to give you a bit more background I only started running Octobert 2015. I was very into my fitness at the gym but decided to give my local parkrun a go and from there I was hooked. I went on to book my first 10k which I loved and then my first half marathon. I ended up doing three half marathons last year. I think because I trained so well for my half marathons - never missing any long runs and getting a PB of 1hr45 that I was so pleased with that when injury first struck at the end of last year it knocked my confidence abit. First of all I suffered with shin splints which after about 2 and a half of weeks of no running I recovered from. I started my marathon training even to the point where on holiday I did 30 laps around the top of a cruise ship on the running track which was not easy! But then once home I started to get a pain around the top of my ankle on the outside of my left leg. It began to get slightly swollen and tender to touch. I panicked thinking it was a stress fracture but my physio ruled that out and said that the extensor digitorum longus was inflammed. He believed it was my trainers because I overpronate and the trainers I had been given when I had my gait tested were neutral and he thought I should have some with support. I had already rested a week or so and the physio told me to get new trainers - rest a  few more days and then when I run again ice after every run and see how it goes. I did that - got my gait tested again and they agree I needed trainers with light stability. So I started running again last week - did a long run Sunday (11 miles in the countryside) and it does feel alot better - the swelling has gone down and I had no pain whilst running (although my hamstrings felt a bit tight) - although I would say its not healed so I am taking my pace alot slower and being very careful. Thats also why I dont want to increase my mileage too much each week.
    Emmy - I will look up the paris forum thank you :-)
    Its great to hear all your stories and achievements
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your kind words Big G. After a very good nights sleep (in a bed - luxury!) and my Tai-Chi class this morning I'm feeling a lot perkier. I'm feeling a bit more positive - strange how quickly the horrid bits of events fade from the memory - and I'm mindful of the quote: 'You never regret the things you've done, only the things you've not done.' - which is why I've entered a couple of challenging 'outside my comfort zone' events. So I guess I'll be sitting on the fence for a while as I don't really have to make my mind up too soon.

Hello SuzSaville82. Which marathon and when? What injuries have you had and are you still injured? Shades will be along soon and she's the best one to give advice.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Mowser - if you want some challenging events over here - i'll be happy to crew for you :) There's a great ultra on the island of Texel that you might fancy.
  • Suz, I'd imagine running laps of a cruise ship would put a lot of strain on one side of you, like running on a track. I have the opposite (pain on the inside of the ankle) although it's not severe and more of a niggle. I use compression calf sleeves - you might find they give your lower legs a bit more support.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you've not signed up for an autumn marathon then? ;)
    I wouldn't worry about your 5km time being out of balance with your half marathon time, that shows that you are probably much better suited to endurance events such as the half and full marathons.
    I think that pins and needles feeling you get is very common, I often see runners mentioning it on the forums.

Emmy - your pic is back now :)
    Hope that virus feeling comes to nothing.
    Sorry don't know anyone that's doing Rotterdam.   Funny it's a marathon we don't hear much about now, I know it's fast and flat.   Maybe they don't advertise over here like some of the other European marathons.

Suz - wow, 30 laps of a cruise ship, I think you have a running addiction...as do a lot of us on here.  :D   I'm sure Cal is right and those laps on the ship could easily have caused your injury.   It is a shock and a kick in the teeth when you get your first injury that actually stops you training, unfortunately injury is part of distance running.   You seem to have a really sensible attitude to your training and only you know how much you can do.   If my suggested schedule above is too much what you could do is do the distances but stop and walk the last 2 or 3 miles of each of the long runs.   You know that probably in the marathon you'll have to walk near the end and it will actually do your muscles good to get used to a bit of walking in training.

Another mild morning here, bit breezy but had a nice run, lots of snowdrops and daffodils today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mowzer - come on please tell what these events are that you think may be out of your comfort zone.   Seeing as you've completed all sorts of difficult events, I'm intrigued  :#
  • Thanks Shades, I have decided to give your schedule a go and as you said walk the last few miles like you said. For example this weekend this Sunday I am running with a friend who wants to run an easy paced 10 miles so I will run with her and then do an extra 4 miles on my own which I will walk towards the end if I need to.
    Also on the 19th March I had booked to do a half marathon with friends so what I will do is run a slow half marathon and then add 7 miles on to the beginning or end - there will be a stop in between but at least then I will be doing the mileage in 1 day. Then I will taper for the last three weeks. You are right it has turned into a bit of a running addiction! I esp love to run in new places and my highlight was in New York in January when I did 10k in central park - a tick off my bucket list.
    Cal Jones - I have started using compression sleeves and that is definately helping esp with the new trainers which are giving me more support now.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, yep! Finally managed to save the picture.  

Rest day for me as my virus has fully come out to kick my ass.  I'm due to be running my long run of 27k tomorrow so not sure how I'll get on. I may do loops and run on feel
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Suz - Running with your friend this weekend will be a good chance for you to try out walking the last few miles.   You will feel the cold a little more walking so make sure you have a light jacket or gloves so you don't chill for the last few miles.
    You're right it's great to run in different places.

Emmy - sorry to hear you're poorly, maybe postpone your long run?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah I know the junction you're talking about with that driver.  Glad there was no harm done.

Suz, welcome to the thread.  We're a friendly bunch here :)

I had a long drive back yesterday, with it ending up taking 6 hours to get from Dover to Sunny Devon in the rush hour.  Also, parts of the A303 quite slow in the dark.  Anyway, I had a long run planned for today, but was a bit worried if my back would be okay after the drive, but it felt fine this morning so gave it a go.  I ended up doing 16 miles at a steady pace so I'm happy enough with that.  There was a little tightness in my hips, but I think that is partly due to the driving yesterday.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Still not sure about this new forum lay-out. 'It' asks me to 'leave a comment' at the end of a page - not at the end of all the posts. Yesterday I seemed to have missed a lot of the posts which are now on there. Puzzled  :/

Emmy - thanks for your offer, but I'm certainly not up to the kind of events that need a crew. Where is Texel anyway?

Shades - phew! a lucky escape from a demon driver. Bet you felt a bit shaky - as well as mega angry of course.
    My future events aren't that exciting. I should be doing Wellington Boot 100k in Somerset in April, which I would be happy with apart from the night bit. I've got a place on the LDWA 100 this year, but am very unsure of that distance with navigation over possibly iffy terrain. I could do both and just be a 'limpit' and grab the next person who comes along once it gets dark and ask to walk with them. A couple of members of our LDWA group will probably be doing it, but they walk all the way, whereas I do like to trot down the hills.

Thinking about the Poppyline - if we had started in the night and then done the last 40 miles in the day I would probably be saying how wonderful it was  ;)
  • Thank you Shades I will ensure I have a light jacket with me. I do tend to drop temperature very quickly after a run so will make sure I have the right clothing.
    Thank you for welcome Big G :-)
  • Welcone Suz, how great too be doing Paris as your 1st marathon! What HM are you doing in March?

Mowzer - only you could say 'if we had only just done 40 miles...'!!! I hope you get your running mojo back soon.

I've actually pulled out of my work Berlin trip. Probably a bad decision work wise but the stress of covering child care for 4 days was bad enough and then when I saw the schedule it didn't look as if there would be any time for running!

I have the beginnings of a bunion again which is a bit sore. I think it's because my 2nd toe is longer than the big toe (morton's toe) which can sometimes cause this as well as overpronation. It's not too bad if I use the protector plasters on it, but I might look into other options (toe separators?) to try and straighten the big toe.
  • Thanks Slowkoala. I am doing the Brentwood Half Marathon (Essex) a nice local one for me and I've heard its a good one. Last year I did the Southend half, the Ealing half marathon (probably one of my favourites) and also the Oxford Half.
  • Hi All. I am going to start trying gels on my long runs to see how they agree with me (I never used them in the HMs) Is there any you would recommend?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Welcome Suz... Not sure if I've already said that :-/ 

Shades: I may start it tomorrow and just see how I get on. At the moment it's just in the head so I should be OK. I only really have Wednesdays to do long run as it's the best time as evelyn is at nursery. 

Mowser: it's an island up north. It's a bit 'rural and rustique '. I've always wanted to do the poppyline one. 

Big G: well done on the run! That's a great loosener!

Slowkoala: sorry to hear about Berlin. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle for you
  • Shades - Yes, I could get used to not working!!
    Emmy - No, I'm not local, but my GF lives about 30 miles away and as I was due to be down that way this weekend, made sense to do the race as part of training. But yeah it's not a cheap one.
    Cal - I'll keep an eye out for you, but not sure if I will spot you as I'll be doing 5 miles before the race starts!!

Did 5*1k this morning in the park, 3:41/3:44/3:38/3:42/3:47 with 2:50 recovery in between and a total of 9 miles....wow that was a tough session. Recovery run tomorrow and then a rest day, which I think is needed as my shin/ankle has a slight pain, which I'm hoping is nothing :|
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Suz, the only gels I really like are the GU ones they are very thick but the salted caramel and espresso flavours are a bit of a treat rather than a necessary evil.