Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Brave new world over here.  Not really to my liking, to be honest.

First tempo run for about two years today.  It felt a fast session.  I have a number of road races of different lengths before I start hitting the trails again in May.  I'm wondering if I'm still able to do reasonable times or not.  

• SwimsL1keaWalrusSwimsL1keaWalrus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

First time Snowdon for me but it will be my third marathon. 

I've been a consistently inconsistent runner so maybe this year will be different!

Given the hills how much slower is Snowdon than other marathons? Given my PB is 4 43 for a flattish city marathon on, in hindsight not enough training. (Got caught by the 4 30 pacer at mile 21, hung on for 2 miles and then died a slow miserable death!).  Am I looking at a 5 15 or 5 30?

Obviously I'm going to train more :) and take this one seriously.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well my first impressions aren't great of this new site... is it possible to email notifications still? It doesn't seem to keep me logged in either!  
  • I've found the thread, but not figured out how to follow it / get notifications of updates. Any ideas?
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    McHilly : there's a notifications button next to your profile pic at the top right of the page...I've just tried playing around with some of the preference settings, hopefully something I've changed will mean I get email notifications again!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi Walrus.  I'm planning on 5:10 for my marathon so I'll look out for you - that will be about the time you should expect judging by your other times.  A 4:00 flat marathon would correspond to about 4:15 for this one which, yes, does have the odd slope or two.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    That seemed to work..make sure you've bookmarked this forum page (click the star above the thread page numbers) and make sure you have email notification set for bookmarked threads.
  • T Rex said:
    Hi Walrus.  I'm planning on 5:10 for my marathon so I'll look out for you - that will be about the time you should expect judging by your other times.  A 4:00 flat marathon would correspond to about 4:15 for this one which, yes, does have the odd slope or two.
    Brilliant, thank you TRex I'll probably be trailing round next to you :).  If that is what it is going to be, then I'll need to get time on my feet.  I am a little concerned about the September/ October build up but so be it! 

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Walrus.  Autumn is the best time for running - you will be fine.  I too have quite a build up leading up to SNOD, but more on that nearer the time!  

How is everyone doing?  brer, how many 26.2s so far this year??  Anyone doing any ultras, brutal triathlons, etc?

No adventures here, yet, but plenty of time for that to change.
  • I've started training early this year, trying to do regular (weekly) minimum of a half marathon distance, but when I get time I've been doing 20 mile runs. Got two 24 mile fell runs booked for May & June around the Wild Welsh hills, so hopefully will be ready for Snowdonia this year.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    What fell runs are they, Hobie?

It does look like I've talked my boys and me into doing a Brutal Extreme Triathlon (if there are still places for Sep this year).  This is a full distance Ironman which we'll enter as a team - youngest son 2.4M swim, eldest son 112M bike, and poor old Dad running three times around Llyn Padarn and then up and down Snowdon.
  • That sounds like fun TR. You have a busy year planned by the sounds of it. I have finally awoken from my winter running hibernation and slowly (very slowly according to the Garmin) getting back into it. First marathon entered is Worcester in May followed by at least two more before the Snowdonia Trail in July. You got your place sorted yet TR??

• T Rex, I'm doing Preseli Beast (post race cake, tea & Cawl)& Man v Horse. Did them both last year for the first time & loved them. Brutal going to be a tough race, good luck.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The LG - I think place is sorted but the process is somewhat complex.

Pleased with my training at the moment - I do believe the achilles tendinopathy that I have had in my right foot since May 2015 is finally on its way out.
  • Yes that looks like it could be good one. Done his trail marathon a couple of times and they were really well organised.

Glad to hear your long term injury is on the mend TR. Guess it has just given up trying to stop you from running as a lost cause!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    TRex you'll be fine with the brutal -if I can do it there's no doubt that you'll be fine!  And in the two years I did the half and then the full you could still enter the week or two before the race, so it shouldn't be a problem.  And with you doing the run part there should be plenty of opportunity for a few tales, as I'm assuming the trip up Snowdon at least will be in the dark  ;)
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    my challenge for this year is getting our eldest around the marathon come October...she's very fit, but football fit not running fit.  She is running up to 12 miles at the moment, so got plenty of time, but having to make sure she is in one piece for games at weekends and that she's spending enough time on school-work (A-levels this year) mean training time is limited...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The dark?  Oo-er, I hadn't thought about that.  Is Snowdonia a dark sky area??

It'll be pitch black in those woods around the lake.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Yes it is!  They attach glow sticks to all the route markers, but other than that, barring a bright moon, it'll be very dark...  though you should get most, if not all, of the lake laps done before it is too dark.  Going up snowdon in the dark was a different expeirence altogether.  I was probably being a bit complacent, as well as being half-asleep, due to knowing the llanberis path very well, but I still managed to wander off the path slightly between the top of allt goch and the summit.  Luckily I wandered in the direction of the railway and very quickly realised what I'd done...
  • So am I the only person who likes the new look! Perhaps I'm the only one who logs in from their phone. The new look is mobile enabled which means that it recognises which device you are using and changes the format accordingly. Much better!! BUT my image has disappeared :-(

Not much running happening here despite MK marathon in just 8 weeks time! 
  • Marathon de Cheverny in 4 weeks but first a half Locranon to Quimper. winding up the pace
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi all.  Newport half marathon last Sunday.  Got around in disappointing 1:51. A week before I went down with a virus which, once below the neck, led on to asthma symptoms - wheezing, unable to talk in sentences, etc.  So I did well to get around at all I suppose!

Still did my usual warm-up for this event which was 5.5-mile run in from my house.
  • Sounds like a decent performance under the circumstances TR, well done. Did you run home as well??

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well, I suppose you could call it running!
  • Winding up the pace ha ha . 10 miles at marathon pace turned out to be 3 mins per mile slower, due to over a hundred + trees had been blown down onto the trail, after 7 miles I had a chance to cross the river and run along the canal towpath,  2 miles of clear pathway lovely, then 2 large trees blocked the way, I had to scramble over a fence into a field then back on the towpath. What a run !!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Moksha8 -  :)  That description could so easily have come from me. Sounds very similar to some of my runs!  There's clearly something about this thread that's catching.  How did you cross the river?  By using one of the fallen trees?  Or swimming?
  • At one point I was considering swimming across the river !! At the 7 mile point ( 1 hour 25 mins, I would have finished by now ) there is a bridge I had, had enough of scrambling over the fallen trees, so made the most of the opportunity.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Having missed out on 1st Jan, I now have a SNOD place  :):):)
  • Hello fellow Snodders, good to see some activity and plans going on here! It has been a while since I popped in to see how everyone is, been a bit manic here with house extension, work etc.  Completed 10th marathon of 2017 yesterday, got a cheeky 5 in 5 days next weekend and all being well, 200th marathon should be completed on Easter Sunday. The ultra for next year looks rather nice FOOW, thanks for the 'heads-up' on that one!