Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54, daughter #1 always used to run BUCS but graduated a few years ago. She loved the event and was always pleased if she PBed irrespective of where she finished overall. Send my congrats to your finalist!
    #3 was there this weekend but she is a trampolinist and not track and field athlete. 
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Congrats to OO on the relay win; impressive splits from you contributed significantly!

Solid double from Jools.

SBD - continuing to put in some impressive training. Looking very good for Brighton at this stage; 7 weeks really doesn't sound like long enough, does it?

Welcome to the thread LvSD. Stick around :)

Significant mileage from Leslie, rounded out by that 17 miler.

GD - sounds like you're fighting through the lurgy quite effectively! You should fly when you're healthy again.

Gul - look after that hip. Assuming it's a muscular issue, is it worth seeing a fizz? You may have already done that, can't remember!

GM - good park running. Like your sub-38 10k target. And you're right, my last mara effort was impaired by falling around 3 miles in, so knees in particular were giving me grief for the next ~3 hours! Hoping to avoid that this time round...

MsE - rubbish news regarding your MRI results, but sounds like you're tackling the issue with your usual positivity, which can only be a good thing. You might surprise yourself with tri adaptation?

Lorenzo putting in typically impressive and dedicated training.

So the weekend was a 5 mile easy run on Saturday, then 20 yesterday. Mostly unfuelled pre-breakfast, although did experiment with the High5 electrolyte drink and gels that will be on the Brighton course; nothing new on race day and all that. Went OK, averaging around 8:20s, so roughly MP+10%. 54 for the week, then a 5 mile walk in the Forest with Mrs A while the Ms As were at a friend's birthday party, so plenty of leg work in the bank!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    SBD 7 weeks it's getting close now 
    0054 5:40's plenty of speed in those old legs yet !
    Gerard Garmin says 1371 in the last 6 months but I didn't start cranking it up till october and it's been 250 ish every month since.I'm now on week 4 of 18 of the p&d plan or as close as shifts let me follow it !
    Abbers nice 20 to finish the week.
    Gul I hope the hip behaves soon.
    Lvsd you had your best year last year it ain't over yet !

After much faffing about and plugging on/off the charger my garmin started to live again and found the correct time .9700 miles on it now have to make 10k at least !
    Having to front load the big runs to the start of the week as I'm working thurs to sunday so 15m today at 7:35 average with the last 7 mile a 7:30 to 6:50 progression on very tired legs after yesterday .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Very healthy pace there Leslie.

5 recovery miles today with 6x100m strides. Creaky to start, felt surprisingly lively towards the end.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very tidy effort Leslie. Why can't you run and work?

Take care of that hip Gul- mine is also creaking after last weeks miles.

Thanks PMJ that is kind. There was a web link to BUCS and I was amazed what a serious well organized event it was. Must be a fantastic experience to be a part of- as you say whatever the result.

6 miles today- really slow and awful. I'm travelling this week and in hotels 3 nights, but I'll pack my kit and hope for the best.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Really well done to OO Jr on making it to the 3K BUCS final AND getting a PB.  Brilliant experience too.

Please look after creaky hips Gul and OO.  Get those runners lunges in to stretch out the psoas and a pigeon pose or two if you can.

Well done on the 20, Abbers. Interesting chat about unfuelled LRs.  Carb depleted runs are meant to encourage fat burning and I always  run on empty simply because I prefer it.  So I have found my previous day's fuel is key to helping me through the next days running.  More recently I have taken to running LRs unfuelled as well which has been a great lesson in identifying where my fat burning limit lies.  When I first tried this I was cautiously running around 8:xx m/m but soon established it was possible to move into the 7:5X m/m to stay in fat burning.  I think perhaps the key is to make sure those runs are consistently paced because a spike in pace early on will affect the overall balance and make demands on energy reserves sooner than you would ideally like.  And we all know about bonking!

Morning yoga for me (I am doing it every day now, sometimes twice) and then a pool running session.  Today it was a 5 min warm up followed by 2 sets of 5 x 1:30 mins w/30 secs recoveries (2 mins between sets).  I made sure I kept my mouth shut when running the intervals to make my lungs work harder.  Let's see what this does to my fitness in 9 weeks' time...!
  • Cracking running from you and junior OO - I bet you're chuffed with both performances.

Good 20 miler there Abbers - do you carry the drink around with you?

Fingers crossed on your hip Gul - wise to take it easy.

2 + 2 miles worth of commuting - average pace of just over 7 min / mile principally down to the fact that I was in danger of missing the train on the way home if I took it too easy.

I've also got a rather strange niggle - it feels like the equivalent of a dead leg but on the back of my knee. Feels really stiff when I start to run but it does ease off a bit after a while. Not had it before so no idea what the cause is so have just applied some ibuprofen gel and hoping it will ease up in time for a tough session tomorrow morning. If not, I might have to swap Tuesday and Wednesday over.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    0054 I run everyday but during 12 hr shifts I'm already up at 5am on days and can run a max of 8 to 10 miles before work , it's just not possible to run a 20 miler on these days and I can go out at lunch time either !

MSE can imagine you tearing up and down the pool like a human jetski !
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Well done on the team win OO.  I've never done that relay but it looks good by the photo's I've seen.

MsE - good to see you feeling  bit more positive.  Sometimes our body just over rules the head.  Its a long process of acceptance....  :/ I'm sure you will find a way back to the marathon.  A couple of my speedy friends, who run well under 3 hours, do miles and miles of pool running then hit the roads for the race.  Seems to work for them.  

Loving G-Dawg's marathon predictions on the list!

I did a trail race at the weekend.  I know the route well so hadn't fretted much about it (as was treating it as training anyway) but completely forgot the first two miles is steep uphill.  I'd been ill suffering with a head cold all week (or flu if you're a man  ;) ) and had done killer yoga on Friday, then drank a bit too much wine the night before so this all made for a bad start.  I ran slowly and chatted (moaned) to others for the first 8 miles and would have considered dropping out had I not been in the middle of the hills.   Then I decided to start putting some effort in and targeted people in front, picking them off one by one. Ended up beating the first one I picked off by 10 minutes and the last one I picked off, about 1/2 mile from home, I put two minutes between us. So nice to finish strong rather than crawling.   I still have a long way to go....

Next up for me is a half marathon in the dark!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great to see you racing (and drinking) Minni. The steady start was probably the best approach.

I understand Leslie- a long run before a 12 hours shift is very tough indeed. By the way how do you know when you are fat burning in a run?

Take care Lorenzo- I think new injuries that you don't know, are the ones that scare you the most.

Off to Paris later, doubt I'll get a run in- so a rest whether I like it or not. 

• GerardM - am doing London. For the race list, do I add my target time to the list in Philip's post above? Happy to add. 

I see you ran a park run with a chesty cough, interested to hear your/others view on when you stop running due to bugs etc.  I came down with something after my long run Saturday and unable to run since (frustratingly as have a weeks leave). What do you/others think about when you start to lose cardio fitness vs letting a bug clear? In the same vein...

MInni - sounds like a good race. Did you run through the head cold or rest the preceding week?

OO54 - maybe good sign your LSR felt hard after the relay? Suggests a training benefit. Good to hear you and PMJ have running offspring. My daughter and her boyfriend both also doing London this year. One of my best moments ever was finishing Amsterdam with her a few years ago, definite lump in the throat as we did the final lap in the stadium together

Gul - I certainly had a much bigger positive split last year after the more aggressive carb depletion/loading (1:28 for 3:08 last year, vs my best split which was 1:27 for 2:56 in 2004, when I didn't do this). Despite all the conventional wisdom to the contrary, I think the net effect was good. I was running the first half in times that for me belonged 10-15 years ago. Although rationally I know that the collective wisdom on this must be right....

Abbers and LeslieH - Hi, sounds like you are both on target?

MSE - interesting, makes sense about pacing, although that would be too quick for me, I definitely prioritise distance over pace for LSR

Gul - hope the hip behaving 

Lorenzo - ditto with the strange niggle. Sounds odd...

• Minni great to see you are back racing again and enjoying it, how is the hip these days ?
    0054 yes that right a 10 before days is only a recent thing for me and I find it very tough . I guess the fat burn question is for MSE all I know is I can now run any run I've just got out of bed for even mara paced long ones unfueled (no breakfast) and not that long ago Id have been having my breakfast even for the parkrun ,can't say I find them any more of a struggle either so far .Enjoy Paris !
    LvSD with that first half there is potential for an even faster mara Id say . I hope I'm on target and if not I can't really do anymore .

6 recovery this morn.

• LvSD said:
    I see you ran a park run with a chesty cough, interested to hear your/others view on when you stop running due to bugs etc.  I came down with something after my long run Saturday and unable to run since (frustratingly as have a weeks leave). What do you/others think about when you start to lose cardio fitness vs letting a bug clear? 

Good to hear you and PMJ have running offspring. 

My advice is the same on most of these issues and that is to listen to your body. Some days you will be clear of all illnesses and injuries but you just don't feel like running and other days you can have a cold and yet you can still go for a run. The important thing is to acknowledge the state you are in, so if you have a cold and the plan says 20 miles with 16 at MP in the middle then this may not be realistic. If the plan states 7 tempo then maybe just do an easy 7 with a few strides for the fun of it. Unless I am so ill I am ni bed, I do tend to run every day I plan to run.

Unfortunately, my offspring runner is a sprinter so not much chance to run together. We will occasionally do hill sessions but I find the 5 minutes between hills far too long.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yep, PMJ is correct, listen to the body and go with it. For man-flu (a cold for Minni  ;) ) I go by the rule that if it's on the chest give it a rest, if it's above the neck, what the heck!

10 miles last night making 38 in 3 days. Started to feel better and averaged 7.06 pace. Still got some injury pain in the form of sore glute and two tight hammies but it's manageable. Wore my Mizuno Wave Inspire 12s which I;ve only done a few runs in. They seem to cause me achilles pain which is weird as I've done 500 miles in the Inspire 11s with no issues. Whatever the upgrade is, I don't like it. Might be time to go back to Asics GT2000. The new v4 seems to have overcome some of the earlier issues which drove me away from them.

Man-flu (it's a thing, Minni!!) seems to have almost gone. Resting heart rate was 43 this morning and I'm down to 12st 11lb, the same as I was going into Berlin in September.

For pre-LSR fuel I have 3 x Bourbon biscuits and a coffee. Breakfast of champions!

Track tonight and then a rest tomorrow.
  • Abbers - good to get a 20 miler in the bank.
    Leslie - nice progressive MLR.
    OO - hope your hip is creaking less! Mine might be related to the mileage. Last week was meant to be moderate and I accidentally ended up with 64.
    MsE - well done on the pool running. I tried it once and found it ridiculously difficult. Interesting point about consistent pacing and fat v. carb burning. If you stick to P&D long run philosophy that won't happen. But on race day it's a whole different ball game. Or maybe that's the solution for me - run the marathon a la P&D long run!
    Lorenzo - hope the knee feels better today.
    Minni - impressive strong finish in the trail race after the tough start.
    LvSD - Personally, I think a small positive split probably indicates a performance somewhere near optimum. There are so many factors though, obviously. When I tried a more conservative target I actually ended up with an even worse positive split! (That makes my conjecture above seem less likely to work!)
    PMJ - not too much damage done at the party this weekend, I hope? Oddly enough, I was at my Mum's on Saturday looking at old photographs and found one of my 18th party with you on it!
    Managed to control the urge to go for a run this morning and did some lunges and dips instead.
  • OO54, just checked the results from BUCS. Looks to be a bit of tactical running going on, so 2 heats of 10 each and fastest 4 + 4 fastest times to go through to the final. First race was slow, winner was 10:2x and can run 9.2x and it looks like the second heat was much faster so more fast times. 

My friend, Pippa Woolven, seems to have cruised the first heat and then DNS for the final: hope she is not injured, maybe just busy.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all

OO - great BUCS experience (and PB) for jnr :)

Minni - hi, and good to see you back competing . . . .

Leslie - re shifts - when mara training in the days of 12 hour shifts, on my 2 day shifts (7am - 7pm) I'd do 6 into work, 6 at lunchtime, 3 home , then the 2 nights (7pm - 7am), I'd do a good MLR or session of some kind before the 1st night shift, rest before 2nd night, easy run after 2nd night; then LR and the rest of the training during the days off . . .

MsE - you're remarkably sanguine in view of the ankle situation  . . . .

GD - generally unfuelled here, but if not, 3 x digestive & mug of tea does the job :)

running offspring - turns out Dewsbury 10K course was 200metres LONG, so my son's 34:07 would almost certainly have been 33:nn . . . .      daughter completed longest ever training run of 22 miles on Sat - 6 weeks to Manchester  

still ticking over with modest miles here - 122 in last 4 weeks (has included couple of 16's) - have committed to the local Spring Road League ( 4 x 5 mile races), so time to put a training plan together rather than just "going running"  . . . .

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Not feeling so sanguine today, Birch. :-(  Ankle didn't like the pool running and the water has aggravated the cartilage damage from the feel of things today.  Will have to hold off on pool running (for now).  
    Well done to Birch Jr on the 22 miler. I sense she is very comfortable with the endurance side of things.

GDawg - could the shoe itself be pushing into the achilles perhaps?  A too high heel counter could irritate it?

Good stuff with the lunges, Gul.  They will help open those hips up.

Great to see you racing again, Minni.  One day we shall be up in the night doing another 24 hour ultra race and laughing at how we couldn't run for one reason or another all those years ago ;-)

Yoga and TRX today. No pool sadly.  And now supermarket!

PS I have splurged on a smart trainer for the road bike so I can partake in some online training using Zwift.  So you may see some more action on Strava soon.  
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    MsE so long as its not a 24 hour loop around the corridors of the old folks home with our zimmers!   What is the smart trainer and swift?  I think I might have seen Strava posts relating to it.

Leslie the hip is fine these days.  The tibia stress fracture had me out for longer but I think that's now healed too.  I need to get back out on the roads regularly.  Running long distance off road does jack all for speed. 

MsE Fat burning question from above.  How did you know you were still in fat burning when running at 7.5x?  Or indeed when do you know when you're in fat burning at all?  I thought it was a case of when you reached a point in your lsr where your body ran out of reserves and opted for fat as fuel regardless of pace, but the pace was most likely easy as it was a lsr.  I'm desperately in need of some fat burning!!! 

6 miles off road for me today. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good off road miles there Minni. I don't like burning fat, makes my chips taste funny!  :D

Didn't run to the track tonight as my Achilles hurt. Easy session, just 20x100, jog the bends. A mile or so warm-up and down either end.
    Kept the watch going, no point in taking splits so ended up with 5.25 miles at 6.50 pace. Glute and hammy felt better, head cold almost gone, just this bloomin' achilles issue to manage now! :s

Rest day tomorrow as I'm working in Bury. Early train to Manchester for me.
  • Birch - road league should give you a focus. I'm wandering aimlessly at the moment. Great long run by your daughter.
    MsE - I haven't a clue what you're talking about but sounds like you're doing all you can to maintain some fitness!
    Minni - not sure if you can "tell" when you're burning fat, but I think when you are below a certain effort level the ratio of fat to carb used increases. And there is a point at which it becomes all (or virtually all) carb. That's probably all total nonsense. Must re-read Noakes.
    GD - that's quite a pace for an easy session!
    Hip still not right, so more lunging and dipping this morning.
  • Just received a notification to say that I've been promoted to Level 3. What on earth is that all about?!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Not sure about maintaining fitness. I feel like it is slipping away.  Another depressing byproduct of not running is that one's legs go all squishy.  No like.  Anyway, congrats, Gul!  (no idea what Level 3 is!)  Good to give the hip more time.  

GDawg - go easy on the Achilles won't you? I was benched with Achilles troubles for over a year and tried all sorts of approaches.  I will say that backing off at the first sign of damage is something worth doing but that you need to keep moving to encourage blood flow to the area and stop the tendon seizing up.  Easy short runs, nothing fast or long.

Minni - for me, I just know I am in the fat burning zone when my heart rate is low and I feel as if I could maintain that pace for hours. I don't use a HRM so it is all PE, so not an exact science.  As Gul says, I am not sure you can feel the difference otherwise.

Off to bootcamp today to try get those endorphins flowing outdoors.  The worst thing for me about not running is losing that time outdoors.  I spend a couple of hours outdoors every day anyway walking the dogs but the run really does make it much more engaging.  You really feel alive don't you when running outside?  Man, I miss it.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Just completed my first virtual ride!  An hour doing Sufferfest's Rubber Glove.  These cyclists do have odd names for their routes...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Gdawg you are having a right old time of it with injuries !
    Birch thanks for that , I can see how 2 days 2 nights would have it's advantages, I do 4 days then 4 nights the next week so fatigue just gets worse as the shift goes on  as I don't get the mini break in the middle like you did nor can I leave site at lunch, a bit like prison really ! We are however having a shift change vote some time soon but I suspect we won't reach the quota for change which has been set at a ridiculous 70%.
    I try to get the hard session done offshift too .
    Minni time to crack on then and pound those roads back to full fitness .It was a long way back I found after about 8 months out with knee bother and surgery,took at least a year to get back to where I was.
    Gul well done on the promotion .(no idea either)
    MSE sounds like you are busier now that when you ran ,enjoy the bootcamp .
    20.6mile at 7:25 m/m average.
    9 easy with some very tough hills then the last 11 all around 7m/mile with a couple of small hills near the end for extra hurt on tired legs 59 mile in 4 days Ouch !

• MsE, never fancied a rubber glove and if the word suffer is involved I'm out.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Quality LSR Leslie - good use of hilly terrain as well!

Hope you enjoyed bootcamp MsE.

Go easy on the hip Gul and congratulations on the Level 3!

GD - hopefully the rest day can sort you out.

Time to work on the speed Birch.

Intervals on the track yesterday (5 sets of 1,000 @ c. 3:48) followed by a 14 mile MLR today.  Set off on the unlit cycle path with 1hr35mins of daylight remaining which helped encourage a speedy finish.  Had planned to take it easy but ended up running the last 7.5 miles  at 6:59 m/m and 7:20 m/m overall.

Have avoided doubles so far but P&D are pretty keen on double recovery runs tomorrow so may have to give it a go! 

• Congrats on the promotion Gul - sounds a bit like the Jantastic badges. Perhaps you'll make it to Level 4 if you can post a 20 mile run finishing before 6am!

Great racing Minni - sounds like you're back in fine form and your mojo has well and truly returned.

MsE - Sufferfest's Rubber Glove?! The mind boggles.

G-Dawg - glad that most of your body seems to back to normal. Just go easy on the Achilles.

Great midweek runs from SBD and Leslie.

The less said about my run this morning, the better. Aim was 2 miles w/u then 6 miles at HMP but the truth is I found it really tough and probably only averaged 7:0x which is pretty s**t and very disappointing to be honest. There was a headwind in places but that's hardly an excuse - the only thing I can sort of put it down to is the niggle in my knee which is still sore on and off. I've decided to go to the fizz tomorrow so will be swapping tomorrow's easy run for a complete rest.

Am feeling a bit down at the mo, not helped by an attendance on a Speed Awareness Course this evening, which was somewhat ironic given my lack of speed this morning.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    MsE - I feel your pain. Hope the name doesn't describe the route profile!
    Leslie - good going. Racking up some serious miles.
    SBD - excellent couple of quality sessions - you must be ready for a double recovery!
    Lorenzo - hope the fizz and a bit of rest does the trick with your knee - maybe that would help you find your mojo again.
    Went out for another test run a while ago, but although the hip wasn't bad I could tell it wasn't quite right and I'm sure it would deteriorate if I kept on running (in fact it did feel worse just running the short distance back home). So I've decided (rather reluctantly) that I need to have a proper rest - 1 or 2 weeks rather than 1 or 2 days. In the meantime, back to the dips and lunges! 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    (shuffles along to make space for Gul on the bench)