Sub 3

Comments

• You sound a bit beaten up LMH, heal well.  Last time I got hit by a car running I was fortunate that the only lasting effect was my wife going into labour while we were in A&E. 

Nice tempo run this lunchtime, not the quickest but consistent for the 10k.  A lot warmer today!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - I actually think she'd rather have a tennis ball than a sausage! Hope the injury sorts itself out quickly.

Wardi - over 20M on a schoolday, very nice.

4M done this morning with the dog, nice and steady. Will be trying a long run tomorrow for the first time in a while, but with a HM in 2 weeks I need to hit double figures on a run or two!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Shocking stuff LMH, but glad you weren’t even worse off.  Fingers crossed for the recovery.

Mad miles there Charlie, usual experimentation going on!  Hope it pays off.

Good session TT, you seemed to be moving well compared to the last few weeks.

The pie-eating is the highlight for me from your last few days Wardi

Nice sessions from ES, Cheerful Dave and Cheerful Dave again.

Sounds reasonably promising PP.

Yes, re Autumn marathons, I was kind of toying with maybe Bournemouth.  The plus side would be free entry and not having to commit to booking accommodation already, as I’m still not sure I want to do an Autumn marathon at all.  But then again, strike when the iron’s hot and all that.  It’ll be a bloody expensive year with a house extension and a big holiday for my 40th (boo!) booked for the summer, so going abroad might not be an option.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Dachs - Abo? You know the course, not far to travel & you might win. Bournemouth ruins itself as a race by inviting a couple of second tier Kenyans to bore everyone by winning by 10-15 minutes. 
  • Do Chester, Dachs. You'd have to pay, but you'd make your money back in prize money (cash prizes for top 10, which you'd definitely be in) and there are proper toilets and a free cake buffet.
  • I think lit makes a strong case for Chester, Dachs!  (Although I was gonna mention Abo as well.)

Cautionary training since physio appointment on Tuesday has included a couple of 6 mile runs, plus bike rides yesterday and today of 30/47 miles. Achilles has improved to the extent that I can press firmly without it being painful (but still feel something) and range of movement 99% normal.  Planning on 15 easy miles tomorrow and try to get back to normal next week if that goes OK, but still err on the side of caution.
  • That sounds like good news PP.

I tried a six mile run this morning, painfully slow for the first mile then picked up a little but felt as though I was lacking power in the left leg, then I stopped to walk the last bit home and was limping badly. Had a soak in the bath and rubbed some magic cream in but my hip has seized up. Really hope it loosens up again so that I can do something tomorrow, I can feel London slipping away:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH - give it a few days and see how you are. No need to give up on VMLM yet.
  • Oh, I'll get round ES but I was hoping to be faster at fifty:-(

No chance of doing anything today, hip is still really stiff this morning and no better after a dog walk. I'm thinking that I'll have to do nothing more than walk until it feels as it did before my run yesterday then try a short and easy run and see what happens.  Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be back to 100% which would then mean that I could have two weeks of cramming, maybe with a few doubles, followed by two slightly lighter weeks as I have Silverstone Half and Ashby 20 in the diary, that would then leave three big weeks before a two week taper.
  • LMH - so is this your old problem or something brought on by being hit by a car?  In some ways, hopefully the later - better chance of it being temporary I guess.

20 yesterday in Bushy Park with a mate, at 3 hour pace.  Bumped into Mo who was looking dapper in a purple tracksuit with matching headphones.  Well, we passed him going the other way, we didn't actually knock him over.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Sorry you are struggling LMH but I guess after a major collision you were bound to be a bit broken.  Try not to put a time limit on the recovery, let your body heal and ease back into it gradually.

Nice pace on the long run CD, is it Boston you are doing this year?

13.2m MLR yesterday to bring me up to 60m for the week.  3 weeks to go.

• Yes Wardi, Boston for me this year.  A couple of clubmates are going as well as a couple from here, so a decent turn out.  60 is a good total 3 weeks out, nice one.
  • LMH - Gah!  Healing vibes... (( ))

CD - Nice LR, good job Mo was going the other way so as not to cramp your style.  

15 slow miles yesterday. The only time I felt any concern for the Achilles was jogging up the steps at the Greenwich Foot Tunnel but all OK apart from that. I can still feel something down there, but a 5 mile recovery jog was fine this morning.  Another easy run this evening, then tomorrow I'll try to assess as honestly as possible before a return to the track.
  • Yes it's injures from the accident CD. Nice celeb spotting.

I have a physio appointment tomorrow afternoon so hoping to have a more realistic idea of what's going on and when I can get back to it Wardi.

Take care PP.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - sounds like a couple more days of recovery and you'll be sorted.

PP - good to see you're back into it. If you managed 15M without any pain then it must be sorted.

Dachs - I was thinking you should do Abingdon, but then lit mentioned the free cake at Chester which would swing it for me.

On Friday evening I suddenly got a sore throat which was quite painful when I woke up on Saturday so I binned my planned long run and went for a walk with Mrs and mini-Padams and the dog instead. It was feeling a bit better yesterday so did 12.5M progressively and felt fine - would have done a bit longer but had to get home as the in-laws were visiting for Mrs Padams' birthday.

Work/family stuff mean I probably won't be able to run today or tomorrow, although I did some strength stuff this morning (single leg squats etc.). Mini-Padams found it quite entertaining.
  • Dachs -- cheer up, you'll be formidable in the V40 stakes! Chester is both the BMAF masters' championships and England Athletics' age group race, so you could clean up in your new career as a vet.

Healing vibes to LMH & PP.

Nice run CD. Now when's Mo going to turn to marathons then? Do ask him next time...

I'm sure I should know Wardi, but 3 weeks to go until what?

I duly had two full days off (Fri/Sat) so I'd be fresh for my long run yesterday. Clubmate Christof, who's inspired and helped a lot of us with his work on training volume, heat acclimatisation etc had some final year undergrads in need of volunteers for their practical experiments. Feeling I owe him one, I chipped in with an experiment in which my weight and temperature were measured every 5km for 30km, which I did at exactly 7:00/M (feeling easy on fresh legs, would have been impossible a day or two previously). Then I went on to attempt nearly 6M of MP tempo -- effort and HR were there but pace sagged disappointingly -- and did a touch extra for a total of 28M at just under 7m/M. And my third training marathon in 3 weekends, probably silly but I felt so good yesterday I couldn't resist, and knew I'd not do another for a couple of weeks.

Unsurprisingly my legs felt pretty wooden this morning, but I'll try and rack up another 5 day mileage streak with a bit of heat training so I plodded 7M in to work. All change after that though with a tune-up and taper for the Cambridge half now in 2 weeks.
  • I hope so Padams.

The usual madness Charlie:-)
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Interesting experiment CharlieW, do you have the results?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all,  not quite up to standard of sub 3 these days, but like to take a look every now and then to see who is still posting on here.  Still a few familiar names...

LMH - hope your hip eases with a few days active rest.
    Wardi - what marathon are you doing? 
    Charlie - still running super as I see often on FB!
    Padams - glad the sore throat has eased. I've just got over a 2 week lurgy, which reduced training at a time where I was hoping to increase.  Hopefully this week being half term I'll increase mileage again.
    PhilPub - Achilles pain is the pits - 3 years of it and still get the occasional issue.
    CD - nice long run.  I did 20 yesterday too, but didn't spot any purple tracksuit runners. :-)

I'm doing Manchester marathon.  Did North Dorset last year in 3.29 after having to stop 7 times during the first 7 miles due to losing feeling in my foot.  It was my first marathon back after 3 years of fighting injury and illness.  During the 3 years I did continue to run as much as I could but at a very reduced pace etc.  Lost quite a lot of fitness, but have clawed by way back to an okay place, but still a bit off where I was before injury and a few llbs heavier :-)  Goal time for Manchester is sub 3.15, but nothing yet indicating I'm in that shape, so not totally confident I'll achieve it.  Did 20 miles yesterday at 8:10 pace, so it's possibly on fresh legs I could find the extra.  Time will tell. :-)

Anyhow hope you don't mind an old sub 3er posting when no longer anywhere near that pace. :-)

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

PP.. you need to upload a new fizzog pic, or a pic of some red shoes perhaps?  

Hilly/Charlie.. Barcelona Marathon on 12th March, my third time there.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Nice!  What's the course like?
  • Hilly! - Nice to see you popping in, good luck in the build-up to Manchester.

CW - Epic experiment!

Wardi - Is that better? Thought I'd go for a post-race recovery pic. Choccy milk.

10 miles this evening felt perfectly comfortable, helped along by some foam roller action on the calf this afternoon.  Hopeful for a track session tomorrow.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

PP.. I drink that stuff post longish runs, any flavour will do!  Good news on the calf BTW.

Hilly.. slight gradual climb 3-9k, the rest is pretty flat apart from a mild incline in the last mile.  About half the size of VLM so less congestion, start/finish/Expo all in one place. 

• Hi Hilly, hope it goes better this year. Are you going to rejoin us on the DTT?

Physio this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks PP.  Gosh those foam rollers are painful!

Wardi - sounds a really nice course and organisation...

Thanks LMH.  I will pop in.  The thing is I only really get time to post when on school holidays as doing a MA as well as running and work.  RW has in the past consumed my free time. Can think of worse things though. :-)

• LMH - hope you recover soon and well.
    Hilly - Welcome back.  See you at Manchester. I am sub 3 chasing after 10 years. You will get your times down again - muscle memory etc.  I've gone from 3.22 Tenerife marathon in Nov 2016 to 3.00:14 Gran Canaria last month.
    Wardi - Like the sound of Barcelona - one for the list for 2018 to continue my Spanish marathons theme.
    73 miles last week, 10 year best.  Easier week now.  
  • GBRM -- no official results, but I did peek at the data as we went along. My (ear) temperature remained resolutely low at about 35.5 degC instead of ramping up much; but my weight did trend down nicely, losing ?1.5kg after 30km. It was quite cool and windy so I wasn't aware of sweating much, but I was burning a lot of wet glycogen and respiring away water too I guess.

Welcome back here Hilly!

Good news on the injury front PP.

Wardi -- ah, poke me if I go senile and ask again. Hope it goes brilliantly.

Continuing my commutes on trashed legs, overdressed to boot today for heat acclimatisation, trying to rack up a lot of miles.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome back. :) 

OuchOuch - That's a good improvement!  I live in hope... I find the legs just take so long to recover these days. I'll keep working at it though.  Hoping to finish high in my age group at Manchester, but depends who turns up. :-)

Charlie - sounds like an interesting experiment!  How many miles are you running weekly?

I did my 15 miles today at Ladybower Reservoir, Derbyshire for anyone who knows the area.  If you don't it's the most wonderful scenery.  The run itself is on good trail/tarmac around the dam and is exactly 15 miles.    I have to admit to struggling a bit though as I'm suffering with sciatica at present.  Hopefully a bit of track tomorrow night, my first in years, will sort it...

• Hilly -- good luck with the sciatica, I had it badly for a spell once (piriformis-related in my case), and it hurt like hell. Mileage-wise I'm aiming to do about 100, but crammed into 5 days, then 2 days off -- it's the new "5-2 diet". That's because I could see the high mileage thing paying dividends last year, but my legs recover so slowly that I end up plodding around really slowly, so I need some time off to get some quality at least once a week on fresh legs (in my long run). Actually did 106M last week.
  • Hi - not posted on forums since Asics withdrew their sponsorship from the marathon teams but someone said I really should post something after the weekend. Obviously I did quite a bit on the forum in the past and on Sunday at Seville I did something that relates to sub-3.

I achieved a 40 year-span of sub-3 to go top of this list http://www.arrs.net/TR_SSpan.htm
    Hopefully as wasn't too terrible, have a few more left as well.
    Athletics weekly covered here http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/steve-smythe-record-span-sub-3-marathons-57715