Brighton Marathon 2017

Comments

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Hello All. I've just got myself a place at Brighton though will not be aiming for anything timewise as it's going to be a busy month . I've done the race once before in 2012 but think it may have changed since then.

As a late entry I'm also slightly shocked at the accommodation prices and availability.

I live in London - is there anyone out there driving down on the day who could offer me a lift (happy to pay petrol etc.)?

• Hi helly d, the problem with driving down on the day is that you also have to pick up your number on the Saturday.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Grrr. I did remember reading they weren't sending anything out but obviously didn't pick up on dates.

AirBnB it is unless I can do a quick flit to Brighton on the day before (probably not worth it).

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

You can pick up your number on Friday or Saturday, or if you can't pick it up in person you can sign a form and get a friend to collect it for you. I think there is a form on the webpage and they just need a copy of your ID and your permission to collect on your behalf. So either someone you know who lives in Brighton who can pop into the expo for you or a fellow running mate that can pick it up while they collect theirs. 

• There seems to be some new availability at Worthing Travelodge.. 20 min train to Hove then 1 mile to Preston Park

• It's quiet on here this year, is everyone running somewhere else this time :)

Re questions about accommodation, Brighton isn't like many other marathon venues because it's a holiday destination, lots of people visit for the weekend anyway and then with marathon on top of the normal numbers it does get extremely busy.

When I looked at the last minute for someone who was asking on here, there was lots of availability at reasonable prices around Gatwick, but very little in Brighton. Either look for places on the train from the north, east or west, anywhere else means driving in. There is free on street parking around if you know where to look, I live locally and even on marathon day would be confident to be able to park within walking distance of start (bu not finish) but wouldn't recommend it unless you know where to look!her

Race pack collection this year is at the race village/expo on the beach by finish, which is a lot further from the station than the Brighton Centre - double booked by the owners so marathon had to come up with an alternative.

I don't know what the parking will be like near there or if there will be public car access at all. I should be down there during the week before and will report back if I can. There is free parking at the marina and walk along.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    John2443 -everyone must be busy training.  Are you running this year?  I'm hoping to get a place on the Withdean Park start (I got 3:05 in 2010).  If I drive down on the day could I park eg at Withean Sports Complex? Alternatively, I was thinking of parking at the Marina and getting a taxi to the start - does that sound feasible and which taxi firm would you recommend?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

So how is everyone's training going?

Seven weeks on Sunday is starting to look very close.  When I started this campaign in early December, I wasn't expecting to get so far without injury problems.  Fingers crossed the niggles stay away until April.

It would be good to be doing Brighton HM but I was a bit late booking - Warwick HM on 5 March will be my next race.

Is anyone else doing the HM?

•  
    SBD. said:
    John2443 -everyone must be busy training.  Are you running this year?  I'm hoping to get a place on the Withdean Park start (I got 3:05 in 2010).  If I drive down on the day could I park eg at Withdean Sports Complex? Alternatively, I was thinking of parking at the Marina and getting a taxi to the start - does that sound feasible and which taxi firm would you recommend?

Running! Never! - well not that far, 10k is about my limit. I volunteer and am driving again this time.

There is free parking at Withdean but whether there will be any space there is another question. You can get back there on the bus afterwards, the 5 or 5A go past elite start. I'll PM you another idea!

People have said on here that taxis ask for silly money on marathon day even though there's no problem - Marina to elite start doesn't go anywhere near road closures. No particular taxi firm, 01273 202020 or 205205 are the main ones.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Thanks John2443 - additional ideas would be very welcome.

Is parking at Withdean Sports Complex an option?

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that started at Withdean last year.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

So seven weeks today before the big day - how is everyone's training going?

Will be heading out for my LSR in a couple of hours.  Only 15 miles today but this is a cut-back week. Have got a couple of 20+ mile runs in the bag so feeling reasonably happy on the endurance front.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Hi, I haven't posted for a long time but I am also due to be running the Brighton marathon this year. I am starting at the so called elite start. I am slightly concerned by the logistics of getting to the start since I am staying in Eastbourne. I assumed that I could get a train to Preston Park but the trains are not stopping there. I have no idea about the parking either, is there likely to be easy parking by the Withdean stadium? Any advice is much welcome.
  • Looking forward to this. This will be my first marathon, I got injured training last year for Paris Marathon. Aiming for 4:15, is anyone doing the half marathon this weekend? I've made this week a cut down week hence the half marathon.
  • some familiar names here from previous years. I will be be on the start line again this year I hope all being well. (not sure which start line yet.... withdean or preston as my link never seems to work with them)
  • MACb - yeah withdean is a bit of a pain to get to... you could walk from brighton train station, its not too far.  I try and get a lift if starting at withdean or train if starting from Preston Park. Not sure where i am starting from this year.

training been going well so will be aiming for sub 3:15 again

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Cheers Fat Boy Trim, shame the train station is not open. I wondered if there was some sort of shuttle bus from the main train station to the Withdean start. I know it's only 2 miles or so but given i'll be running 26.2 I was not in a hurry to warm up too much!
  • If you're coming by train from Eastbourne get off at London Road, not Brighton, whichever start you're going to. I'd do that even if Preston Park station was open.

There aren't parking restrictions around Withdean but how busy it will be is anyone's guess. Road closures go on at 7am so approach from the north (A27/A23 junction), you're likely to get stuck if you come through any part of the east side of the city.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

What time are you aiming for MacB?

FBT - were you on the elite start last year?  Do they have any pens or is it everyone for themselves?

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

I think elite start has had a pen for super elites (mostly the Africans) and then everyone else but there aren't many people so shouldn't be a problem.

I read somewhere that there aren't any elite Africans this year - on facebook?? (Edit - it's on BM website)

• Hello all, I'm traveling from ( very) sunny Australia to come and run in Brighton this year. Currently training in 30+deg C, tomorrow's forecast is just under 40deg C. 
    I have booked parking at the Am Ex car park and really hoping it's easy to find. I'm only flying in to Heathrow just before the race, maybe I'll be so jet lagged I won't notice the tired legs! 
    If anyone has any tips, especially for navigation and also for the course itself ( you can read all the graphs and info but local knowledge is invaluable) then I'd be very pleased to hear them! All advice gratefully received! 
    Looking forward to running in England again!
  • Good to read comments. Doing my 2nd marathon but 1st Brighton. Craving a sub 3 after achieving good for age at London 2 years ago. Doing Thanet 20 week tomorrow then Dartford Half following Sunday. Hope to be in a good place after these races. Hate the long training runs alone. Had a partner who pulled out after first run together.  Been a real drag ever since. Nearly there. Good luck to you all 
  • Pretty sure last year the elite start was no pens and everyone for themselves, some officials might have protected the pros from the rabble like us, but pretty much mixed in with them, but there is only about 200 starting from the elite start, so not really much need for pens.

Anyone do brighton Half on sunday. Bit of a windy one. I stuck with 6:45 min miles all the way round for a comfortable 1:28. Not too upset considering Im lazy and not great conditions.

• Hi Matt, What was your GFA time 2 years ago? I have done a few GFA but never quite managed to crack the sub 3 each time I try I blow up! whats your half time as a matter of interest?
  • migrant said:
    Hello all, I'm traveling from ( very) sunny Australia to come and run in Brighton this year. Currently training in 30+deg C, tomorrow's forecast is just under 40deg C. 
    I have booked parking at the Am Ex car park and really hoping it's easy to find. I'm only flying in to Heathrow just before the race, maybe I'll be so jet lagged I won't notice the tired legs! 
    If anyone has any tips, especially for navigation and also for the course itself ( you can read all the graphs and info but local knowledge is invaluable) then I'd be very pleased to hear them! All advice gratefully received! 
    Looking forward to running in England again!

Amex carpark is straightforward, by the A27 on the way to Lewes, at the football stadium opposite the university at Falmer, I'm sure it will be signposted.

Course - the hills are all before mile 12, miles 19-22 are a bit depressing round the harbour, low number of spectators but it livens up again after 22 and fine from there to finish.

• migrantmigrant ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks john2443! Appreciate your help. I have very little hill training locally so my legs could be in for a shock! Very pleased to hear the hills are all in the first half.
    I read one review that said you have to wade through mud to get to the start and that regulars wear plastic bags over their shoes until they reach the start. True???
    Had an awesome long run along the coast yesterday. Pretty hot but beautiful beaches to gaze at!
  • Hi I did a 3.07. My half PB is just over 1.22 but that was a bit of a freak race I'm sure. I was in good shape and just nailed it on the day. Did the same race 6 mins slower following year but had slight niggle. Quite a hilly course too which makes it all more pleasing. 
  • Last year it rained very heavily on Friday and Saturday which left the start pens on the grass very muddy, plastic bags were a good move.

Previous years the pens were on tarmac, I don't know what the plan is for this year, they might go back to the tarmac.

• Gooday migrant... My view of the course running it for the last 5 years and running 16 marathons, is that Brighton is a pretty flat and fast course with a slight incline around miles 5, 7 and 10 for a few hundred meters but not enough to change pace.

Certainly no hills as I would call them (Run jerusalem marathon - That has hills! Brighton is 183m total elevation compared to say Londons 160m elevation)

Most people as john said dont like the shoreham powerstation few miles around 20-23 but I think its more the fact these are the dark miles in most marathons (far enough to be tired but still 6 miles to go).

Support great round most of the course and I rate it as one of the best marathons! You will love it.

Oh and I have never had problems wading through mud at the start area, and Preston start area has a good buzz about it (but was not at preston start area last year).

Hope you enjoy the day

• Matthew, With a 1.22 half you should be nailing a sub 3 marathon!!!!

6 mins difference in a half is huge thats like my 1:28 half marathon last sunday (windy). and I will be happy with sub 3:15.

so I can see your dilemma. But Sub 3 is the holy grail!