Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Ah, the million dollar question! There's usually some guidance on this + a spectator metro map given out at the Expo. From experience, I'd avoid the finish (impossible to see your runner) and Bastille (very crowded). A short walk into the Bois from the finish allows you to support where it's *really* needed (e.g. the last mile) and avoid the crowds. Likewise, Boulevard Bourdon is a bit less busy and lets you see runners around the 14m mark.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! :) ooh - it's just like being back at home. Where are the biscuits? :) I wont be in Paris this year, but i'll be sending you love from Rotterdam.
  • FRG2 - I can send you a copy of the Paris Supporters Guide that various people who have supported over the years have put together. I know in previous years there has been a group of supporters from this forum who have navigated around three or four places to support the runners.

I you want a copy let me know.
  • Wonder if the 'wine' drinks stations will move in the park! 

The supporters guide is very good - you can make it to 3 or 4 locations pretty easily on the metro. There are some forum members with flags which make life very easy to find people. It's worth getting everyone to the Saturday pasta meet-up as supporters can team up.
  • Hi All! Paris is my first marathon so I came on here to look at tips/advice :-) I am in the gris section bib number 64245. However I am behind on my training schedule due to injuries so at the moment will be happy just to get over that finish line even if it means running/walking! 
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Top tips for supporters - make themselves as visible as possible - BIG flags, signs, brightly coloured outfits. They'll find it difficult to pick you out of the crowd of runners, it's easier for you to see them. Or join up with the supporters from this group, who know the ropes. 

A good spot is Place Felix Eboué, about the 8k mark. There's a big fountain they can stand next to, and you'll see them all the way up the road. Then they can hop across while you're running round the Bois de Vincennes and catch you again at half way. After that they could head to the Bois de Boulogne, or just meet you at the finish.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Well spotted on the slight change Dom! I've been squinting at the 2016 route map pic on Facebook compared to this years after you mentioned it, and there's a tiny change in the Bois de Vincennes too, just to straighten it out a bit as you're running up to the amazing Chateau. Hopefully the changes at the end will make a bit less of a drag - I found previously in those last 5-6 miles there isn't much to look at to try and distract you from the pain!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Well after 14 miles at the weekend my legs were like lead just doing 5km today which doesn't bode well although I hadn't eaten and had a bad night with the baby so that probably didn't help.

I've never carried water (let alone gels or food) on a run before but have to say at the weekend I was even starting to seriously eye up puddle water towards the end of my run. Is it best to get a proper running bottle? For the actual marathon I assume the water stops every 5km will be sufficient but I think I need something for training runs.

Thanks for the supporters tips, Eggy I'd love a copy of the guide you mention upthread. It would be great for my husband and two kids to tag along with other supporters although I fear if I'm tagging along at the back the other supporters will need to move on before I pass!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Quick question, how many rest days a week is sensible? I'm running five days a week and I'm not sure it's doing me any favours but I'm just desperate to get miles under my belt.
  • SuzSaville82 - Welcome to the thread!

Katey - The number of days you run/rest is something you need to workout what works best for you. I think four/five days a week is reasonably common, but I've seen plans based off three runs a week. I run four times a week and okay football once a week, with two rest days, or I did before getting injured.

I'll grab a copy of the supporters guide tonight and send a copy to anyone who wants it.
  • Katey - yes, you do need water on the longer runs, especially as the weather warms up, unless there's somewhere you can pick it up en route. Personally I don't like handheld bottles, I prefer to carry one in a waist pack or running rucksack, but it's really a question of what works for you. You'll be fine with water from the aid stations on the day.

A word about hydration in general - sports drinks manufacturers would have you believe you need to be constantly swigging all the way round. Not so. It's actually more dangerous to overhydrate than dehydrate, especially if you're drinking plain water. It's best to drink to thirst - especially if you're out there a long time, you don't want to be knocking back litres of water. And consider trying out electrolyte tablets/salt tablets on your long runs, in case it's hot on the day.
  • Yes, well spotted Dom. I don't think I'd have noticed the change, but now it gives me something else to look out for in the race, to keep my mind busy.

Katey, four/five days a week sounds pretty good. You need the rest days to give your body a chance to recover and adapt, and reduce the chance of getting injured. On your long runs it might be better aiming for a maximum time on your feet rather than thinking you have to do 20 miles. If you're on the go for three to four hours that's as much as most people are doing (and a lot longer than the fast ones).

Oh and for water I just carry a regular 330 or 500ml shop-bought water bottle. It holds more than most running bottles, it's easy to add some electrolyte if it's going to be a hot day, and I just drop it in a bin when I'm done with it.
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Kathy I usually have a gel an hour or mix in some lucozade sport with my water to keep me going. Now you're hitting the longer miles it's a good idea to buy some gels and try them out in training. If you are going to be running for more than 4 hours you need something to help. When I ran Paris they gave out oranges and had done weird drink so I was really relieved I had enough gels on me and didn't have to rely on the race stations, although I did need s lot of water as it was warm and I can't deal with heat. Have a look at some running belts so you can bring stuff with you to feel comfortable. Btw impressed with your 14 miles!
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the supporters' tips. Would love a copy of the guide please, Eggy. 
    Pleased you mentioned Place Felix Eboué as a good spot, RR. We know it well - met FRG1 there! 
    Katey, I run 3 times during the week and long run Saturday (Hal Higston). Started taking 2-3 gels on longer runs (Eggy recommended High5) but just started to feel like I need to carry water on training runs too. Tried compression socks after my long run this week and feel like they made a huge difference. 
  • Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hydration and fuelling are very personal lessons to learn, usually done painfully!

For me, I've found out the hard way that my body needs a lot of water, so I carry a 500ml donut bottle in training and the race itself. It's never enough - I usually throw it away empty somewhere on the Quais and rely on the water stations from then on.

I can also handle a gel every 25 mins or so, so will take 8. I like Torq, having done some very tedious spreadsheet work to calculate carbs delivered per ml...

I've started taking them in training for the past couple of weeks, now that I'm into the 20m zone. This is partly to train my system to use them rather than the carbs/ glycogen in my body, and partly because there's nothing more demoralising than hitting the wall on a LSR - to be avoided at all costs!
  • FRG2 and Katey, I've sent you both a copy of the supporters guide.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Eggy. 
  • Hello everybody,

Eggy I am really sorry about the loss of your cousin. Life is so fragile really – one minute all can be fine and next we are struck down.

Welcome Katy and well done you taking on the Paris Marathon with young children and a full on job. I too am in the Pink Pen and it’s my first marathon too so I can’t give you any tips like all the rest of the seasoned marathon runners on here.

However on the hydration bit – I have never been any good at drinking water until about last December time when I did my first half marathon and realised that I wasn’t going to fare too well if I didn’t get some fluid on board. I slurped some on the way round but the water they were handing out  was so cold I could barely swallow it but I realised I was very naïve not to have a strategy regarding this.

I then attempted my first 18 mile run (took out a couple of gels but no water – not sure what I was thinking then). Anyway like you I started looking at Puddles and eventually passed a pub and staggered in like I had just come from the desert and they kindly gave me a pint of water which I downed in one as couldn’t exactly hang around in the pub). The run needless to say didn’t go well.

Since then I ordered a Salomon back pack thing with a 2 .5 litre water bag and I did my first 20 mile long run yesterday with it (used a couple of electrolyte tabs in the water). I wasn’t sure I would get on with it on my back but I barely noticed it to be honest and felt reassured that I had fluid with me. It did make quite a sloshing noise but I got used to that – and I took three gels with me too.

So I completed my first 20 mile run in 4 hours but it was a slog even with my water and gels. I passed another guy on the way out and on the way in from my run and he was going some lick both times I saw him and he looked strong and fast – while I felt like I had wooden legs and it was taking me longer than it should to pass the fast walkers by mile 18 (I was on a tow path).

The funniest bit of my run came towards the end when I was getting fairly huffy and puffy and whingy and must have exclaimed  something like ‘ oh for God’s sake help me’ and next minute I heard a deep voice yell ‘Keep going!’. Frightened the life out of me and for a minute I thought there may be a God and he was talking to me – but it was an old guy at the front of his boat!

Anyway I am just taking it one run at a time and trying to follow a schedule and figure that if I keep following a plan then I have a good chance of getting round. I think as everyone says on this forum its best not to set off too fast – having said that I didn’t set off too fast yesterday and still got slower and slower – haha

• Lots of really good information, advice and support on here!  I echo all the comments about the nutrition and hydration, and will add that pacing is just as important and finding an even pacing strategy that you can sustain for the full distance.  If that is a run walk, then go for it - completing a marathon is still an amazing experience!

Once question I have for the regulars, is whether or not the course gets contested anywhere to such an extent that you have to walk.  I'm hoping to beat my PB from London of 3:49, maybe by as much as 20 minutes.  For this to happen I can imagine that I need absolutely everything to work out in my favour.  If there are such things that are out of my control, then it's better to know in advance and change my expectations.
  • Pancake 2 - Love the word of encouragement from passing sailor.

Dean - There are no sections on the course that I've ever seen people forced to walk due to congestion. There are a couple of areas where it can get crowded, but I think the further up the field you are the less of an issue that will be.

Probably your biggest issue could be pacers. Any pacers at the event tend to have a large group running along beside them and they can take up a lot of the width of the course.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all! 

Katey: I have a camelback podium chill handheld bottle and I've used it for a lot of marathons and training runs. I would either take some with you or go via a place where you can pick some up (a shop or water fountain).  

I'd also ditto what others have said about electrolytes on a hot day. I find one tab in water will do me well for anything over 16c. 
  • Hi All.
    Just a couple of questions - I arrive in Paris on the saturday morning before the marathon. Is it easy to get to the salon du running to get the bib etc? Is metro the best way?
    Also is there anything else I need to ensure I do in advance,  other than get the medical certicate (and do the training of course!)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hey Suz: Saturday morning is absolutely fine. There will be a lot of people heading that way. Follow the people in joggers! 

Make sure you have copies of everything stored electronically in case and keep an eye on this forum. There's some great advice nearer the day that's helpful to remember but for now it's just about training :-)
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    SuzSaville82 - it's quite easy to get to the expo, but it is on the far reaches of the city, so for me in the past going from Montmarte I've taken a bus that went all the way there, but you can also get there on the Metro. The bus did take HOURS last time!

If you want to have a look in advance to get an idea of the route from A to B, this website is great, and if you don't have it already I'd massively recommend installing the app on your phone to use whilst there (and indeed in many other cities all over the world): https://citymapper.com/paris?set_region=fr-paris
  • Yes, as Emmy said. Medical certificate and photo ID are all you need to collect your bib at the Expo. Metro line 12 takes you out to the place where the Expo is held. It takes about 30 minutes from the centre of Paris.
  • Hello everybody, just thought I'd look in and say hello. Shocked to see a new layout but what goes around..... I had to miss a couple of weeks training the second half of January due to a nasty cold/cough but am now trying to get my mileage up a bit. Only ran 10 miles last weekend and looked back to last year to see I did my first 20 mile run on the same weekend. Doing the heartbreaker half marathon in the new forest this weekend so I'll have to try to up my long run the week after. Hope everyone is enjoying their running and staying injury free.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    And the metro station you need for the expo is Porte de Versailles - you come out right next to the centre.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 said:
    Medical certificate and photo ID are all you need to collect your bib at the Expo.
    Don't forget the convocation!
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    On the subject of hydration and carrying water ...
    I had some time out a few months back and saw a physio. As part of my recovery I was educated on running style and gait and something that really made an impact was balance when running. Just holding something in your hand when you run, like a water bottle, can make you unbalanced and your body then compensates for this by adjusting how you run. It can mean that one side of your body works differently to the other and the danger is that you work some parts more than others and it can lead to injury. At the least you are working muscles differently so you introduce imbalance.

Try running on a treadmill and film yourself from behind. Then try it again while you hold something. It helps to have an expert analysing it and drawing lines on you as you run but it really can be quite remarkable how much your gait changes as a result.
    My recommendation is to use a hydration pack or bottle attached to you rather than carrying a bottle.

• If you're coming from either the Eurostar or Charles de Gaulle, the easiest way to the Expo is the train line RER B (the blue one) to Cité Universitaire, then the tram to Porte de Versailles.