Overdone it?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    We'll always have base camp...

3rd notification now about the level 3 thing...i get it! 

Well, i don't, but you erm, get me.
  • Black belt 3rd dan, I think that means Stevie.

Yeah it was wet and windy round the res. too DT. I was thrilled to share one of my laps with one of the region's top runners too.
  • Lacrosse balls are like tennis balls, only harder. :( Certainly some of the posher schools around here play lacrosse; I've heard a lot more about it since moving here than I ever did in England.
  • I realise that
    a) I'm stating the obvious and
    b) No-one gives a toss anyway
    but this new site is operating in a completely random and non systematic way which is quite odd for a computer programme.

If one looks at SG profile page then he has lots of badges for all the comments he has made from his first comment badge up to and over 10,000.

Then if one looks at my profile I have made an embarrassingly large 4,787 (now 8) comments and yet I have not been awarded a single badge.

Muddy I think you know a thing or two about IT - how does that work then?
  • You have 12 badges, Skinny, including the coveted 5 LOLs badge. I think the fault is in the display when you look at the summary of your profie; on the left you should be able to see a box full of all the shiny badges you have won, with more details if you click on them.
  • In twitter speak is it okay to use the Thumbs Up sign to mean Thumbs Up or is it reserved for Like?

This modern world of communication is certainly quite tricky but it does seem to be better for my feather allergy.
  • Fascinatingly (for DT) the first modern women's lacrosse game was actually played (in 1890) at St Leonard's School in St Andrews.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have my 5000 comment badge, amongst various others. I note that I have the less coveted 'agree' badge with 5, but am languishing on 4 lols.
  • Haha - I have managed to get you a 5 LOL Badge when you only have 4 - I think Rich may have done the same, great minds etc
  • literatin said:
    Fascinatingly (for DT) the first modern women's lacrosse game was actually played (in 1890) at St Leonard's School in St Andrews.
    You can mull on that fact whilst grinding that lacrosse ball into your glutes tonight :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Skinny, the badges seem to abruptly stop on 10,000 posts too.

You'd think 15,000 and then every 5,000 wouldn't be too much, if we are bothering with this whole idea.

• I realise that
    a) I'm stating the obvious and
    b) No-one gives a toss anyway
    but this new site is operating in a completely random and non systematic way which is quite odd for a computer programme.

If one looks at SG profile page then he has lots of badges for all the comments he has made from his first comment badge up to and over 10,000.

Then if one looks at my profile I have made an embarrassingly large 4,787 (now 8) comments and yet I have not been awarded a single badge.

Muddy I think you know a thing or two about IT - how does that work then?
    I could be a wrong but a quick theory off the top of my head: I think it could be operating on a logarithmic scale. This would solve the problem of having levels 1-1000 etc. And 10000 posts is 10 to the power 3 aka Level 3. Maybe.
  • Appalling maths from me 10000 is 10 to the 4. So that's that theory scotched. :expressionless:
  • New pb on my cycle into work this morning! Not looking forward to the slog on the way home. You'll be glad to know I took your advice Lit and didn't go for a test run, or enter Sundays race. I think I'm going to have a bit of a break, let the niggles sort themselves out and come back fighting after my holiday. Will probably target a late spring 10k.
  • Anyone been out running today? I think my planned 4*2 miles at HMP later today are going to be a bit hideous
  • I nearly got blown off my bike! I think you'd have to aim for HME(ffort) rather than pace!

• Hmmmm - windy and wet and miserable here too. Doris is having her day in the spotlight.

My plan for this week was three MLR - 12 (done), 13 today and 15 on Saturday during the free half day on my yoga weekend.

I've banged today on the head and will settle myself with 15 on Saturday and maybe a little 3 on Sunday night. Think this should retain my fitness whilst giving my body lots of rest days.

Then it will be time to get serious! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was due to do 5 at mp today, then reviewed the weather forecast and did it yesterday, leaving me with 10-12 miles at easy a bit later on. Then I am off for a rather indulgent weekend, following which it's 8 weeks of head down type stuff. Glad the randomness of when bad weather may strike happened today and not tomorrow as I would most likely be spending the full day in delay.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Probably a good call DT. Looking back, it's lucky really how infrequently weather calls for such tweaks.

I remember setting off once for a supposed MP session myself, but the rain was so heavy, and my choice of clothing so foolish (a woollen hoody!) that every 100metres i seemed to be a stone or 2 heavier, meaning it would have been madness to finish

• The weather has calmed significantly - it's now not sounding like the roof is about to be ripped off the building. Will have to see how it goes this evening.

DT, Muddy, Lou, McF - are any of you doing the Midland Road Relays at Sutton Park at the end of March?

http://www.midlandathletics.org.uk/page17.html 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, whilst you can say run to MP effort, it's not the same as hitting paces.

Lovely easy 12 miler earlier,vdespite the wind and horizontal rain.

Tommy, probably not. It's a full afternoon out to run to, which I hate anyway. With the kids and other race plans I have to pick my battles wisely. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DT, it's that need to mentally feel you're on track isn't it. If i'm aiming for a 6min mile MP zone, and I hit 6.20, even if it's into a gale it's hard to instantly recognise that.

Hope tomorrow's wind is sensible. If so i'll probably do some 600s. If it's dodgy, maybe just 200s, picking the half of the track that's less silly!

Tommy, having never taken any notice of these "big events" like relays/xc etc, I've just joined a club that are doing the South road relays, and working for a co that splits regions as south and north, I'd not realised Midlands was a separate road relay!

It seems 20 teams qualify from the South (!). Goodness knows how many enter then, presume it's the same for North and midlands, so the nationals must be a bit mental.

I'll admit I was a bit daunted when I heard the short leg is "just under" 5k, yet all the times seemed to be 12-14mins. But checking PO10,it seems that it was "well" under 5k! Phew!

• A 6 min/mile mp zone ! I'd be worried about trying to achieve that in any circumstances :smile:

A 9 mile obstacle course for me tonight (wind,rain, fallen branches and darkness) at easy pace and an easy 5k on the treadmill at lunchtime. Yesterday was 9 + 3 too. It doesn't really feel like marathon training when you break it down like that (and I guess it probably isn't). Strapped for time from here to Sunday so might try and make the long run a bit of an effort this week and eke out a couple of tiddler runs. 

Tommy - As far as I know we aren't putting a team into the road relays. Though there has been talk I'm guessing it's just that.
  • We sometimes take a team to the national relays, but we'll not bother unless we can get at least two of our three best runners to commit. It might happen this year though!
  • SG - yep separate event for 'The Midlands' which somewhat weirdly includes teams from Devon and Cornwall. I think the top 30 from the midlands qualify for the national road relays, as DT's club finished just ahead of us in 28th spot at the midlands last year and ran in the Nationals. Don't think our squad is as strong this year so qualifying for the nationals is unlikely.

The standard at the front end is phenomenal but pretty sure it must be closer to 4k than 5k with those sort of times?!

Talking of fast 5k's, did anyone see the results from the Armagh 5K last week? 70 people under 15 mins, photo finish and 17:05 for last place! Not a bad standard.

So 4*2miles at HMP is pretty tough. 4 of us managed to find a relatively sheltered of footpath next to a tram track, just short of a mile long and managed to thrash out the reps up and down that section. Pace of each of the 2 mile reps came out between 6:18 and 6:25...for the first 3 reps. The last mile of the last rep was tough and I fell off the back of the group as we navigated our way around a woman walking an excitable dog and my pace dropped away but still just about held it together in the 6:30-6:35 region.

Fairly happy with that but a bit disappointed to not hold the pace for the entire session. Target race is 2 weeks on Sunday so need to have a think what to do session wise to maintain this level (whatever it is) for the next couple of weeks.

Heading for a jog round an inaugural PaRk-rUn tomorrow morning before the National XC in the afternoon where I could be on the start line as a couple of famous brothers from Bingley.   

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Tommy, luckily PO10 lists the exact distances. 

30 qualifying teams is huge, but must be a numbers game based on entries! In some ways i'm not sure i'd fancy the nationals if we did slip in, as it'd be bound to be Birmingham at most southern, but presumably could be anywhere higher up!
    At least it'd be a quality event, unlike one my Sunday XC team qualified for years ago. The "national" status of it seemed a bit misleading, and had about 10 fairly average squads! And was about 3hours away!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good session, Tommy. Just be on for 1.25. 

SG,vnationals are always at Sutton Park, where Midlands event is. 
  • nationals are in Loughborough this year.
  • Ooh, well done Tommy!