The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Was wary of Doris on Tuesday when I decided to do a midweek LSR of 19.13 miles making:
    YTD = 392.06

Didn't run today as 'Er indoors saw me relaxing and piled on tons of work I usually manage to escape while out running.

Good news is I will definitely be over 400 miles by Saturday afternoon - might even make up for the missed run tomorrow if she is looking the other way.

Stylish, I guess you are going to not complete the second of the big laps at Roding Valley on Sunday?

• Hey ho daddios.

Nice Storm Doris battling folks!

Thanks for the marathon prediction, Muttley - my A-target is sub-3:50, my B-target is sub-4:00 and my Z-target is just get round... so, if all goes well, you should be on the money :smiley:

Good to hear you were put to work at home today, Harmander - good luck breaching the 400 barrier... I think you could run the 8 miles backwards, blindfolded and carrying a hod of bricks and still find it easy!

I waited until the storm abated (although I still got hit by some freezing rain half way round tonight's run). 7.06 miles at somewhere between easy and steady pace.

YTD: 251.83 miles.
  • Looking unoccupied when She Who Must Be Obeyed can see you, Harmander? That's asking for trouble! (There is no Mrs Muttley so I'm safe in my own home :))

Nell, when I was doing half mara's in your current time I did a few marathons in 3:50-3:55 but never improved on that. Theoretical times are all very well but it's those last 6 miles ...

Well done to all who did battle with Doris. I stayed in.

Anyhoo ... 5.67 miles to declare, including a bunch of 1-min efforts with 1-min recovery, as ordered by The Plan.

• Harmander, I dont really know about Sunday yet. The last two runs of 5M & 6M were a week apart and I had stop a few times on each which indicates something is not right. I was only thinking of do something on Sunday to get a bit of value for my entrance fee but if i ain't right its not worth disappointing myself again. I might just have to take a break from running. 
  • I have a friend who did this last year. When queried, it turns out she shared it between three people :smile:
  • Six more miles along the canal this afternoon with Mrs JR at around 10:00 minute miles, just what the schedule required. Lovely calm, sunny afternoon in Devon after yesterdays rather different weather.

February - 71.57

2017 - 133.38

• I remember running a World Cup Competition amongst friends in 2008. Nobody had the format I did,it wasn't on any app either. Now everyone is running a World Cup/ European Champions competition left right and centre.
    In 2015 I started this 1000M challenge, nobody else was doing it. Ditto Ditto.

Steve, its Quality Street :)
  • Evenin' all!

Stylish - sorry to hear you're struggling with your running... don't know what to suggest... we'll miss you if you end up taking a break - but you need to do what's best for you.

Muttley - I'm a big fan of empirical data so your experiences are very interesting. I'd certainly be happy with a time in the 3:50 - 3:55 range :) Sounds like "The Plan" had you doing a good interval session today.

That seems like a lovely run JR.

I headed out for a marathon pace run this evening. Did 8.09 miles at an average of 8:43/mi. - but it will be interesting sustaining that pace for another 18 miles!

YTD: 259.92 miles.
  • Good run Nell.

I snuck out this morning for a cheeky 4 miles, so up to 116 YTD.

• I DID IT

11.33 miles yesterday got me over the 400 mile mark

PLUS 7.13 miles (including a Parkrun - WITH 'Er Indoors) making 

YTD = 410.52 miles

Roding Valley Half tomorrow - might run home afterwards to add 5 more miles
  • Parkrun today was my slowest time for ages and I got an ear ache/bashing to boot..

Oh and she beat me by suddenly rushing forward at the finish line after we had been alongside each other for the 4995 metres earlier. 
    Going to trip her up next time  <3
  • I can feed my HM times into a pace calculator and almost every time it says that 3.50 is my predicted time for the full 26.2 but my pb remains 4.18 and that was on the flat course at Amsterdam in good conditions! Sub 4 hours is very elusive to me but I'm confident that I can do it someday especially as I've done a sub 3 hour 20 miler. 

For the time being I'm nowhere near running marathon distances let alone doing it in under 4 hours, after two fairly long runs in three days earlier this week I got a niggling strain in my upper leg which was quite faint and I don't think I'd even notice it if it were not for the fact that it's in the same spot that I had my injury last year that blighted the whole year. So I took three days off and went out today for a short and quite slow 3.5 miles with a few breaks along the way and I feel okay afterwards but if there is a strain then I'll wind things down for a bit. It's all a bit disappointing but hopefully it's not a big deal.

Feb      76.26
    2017  131.39
  • Ahoy there shipmates!

Nice cheeky run Andrew... I'm imagining there was lots of flesh on show to raise the run from standard to cheeky... that, or you mooned a busload of football supporters part way round! :smiley:

Well done Harmander... at this rate it seems like you'll be on for ~2.5K this year! I take it Mrs. Singh has a sense of humour too then - I can imagine the comedy moment as she surged past you across the line ;) 

Matt, from my reading around it seems that many marathon time predictors are very over optimistic. This one seems to be more realistic (or it predicts a much slower time for me, at least - if it's realistic remains to be seen!):
    http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html
    Sorry to hear you've experienced a leg twinge - definitely take it steady so you're not sidelined again!

Just a little 3.60 miles for me this evening - an easy run in preparation for tomorrow's first time ever doing 20 miles... I'm both excited and vaguely trepidatious about it.

YTD: 263.52 miles.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Gade Valley 17, for me today, just a long slow run, very easy, didn't time it at all, and a lovely danish at the end!

Wk:8  40.4    YTD 264.59

Hope the 20 went well Nell - and that you finished with something left in the tank.
  • Thanks Nell, that site gives me a predicted time of 4.20 and my pb is 4.19 so I'd say it's pretty accurate!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Had a look at that calculator, interesting, and atm gives me a prediction of just under 4, which is my target at Halstead.

And, if I progress, as planned, to get to a 1:40 half at Stowmarket, then the prediction drops to about a 3:40! oooer missus, I'd settle for that anyday. But, as last year, weather can play havoc with us mice.
  • Guys, I've been on RW for 15 years but it's declined over time and this latest iteration is hopeless.

I'm moving across to Fetcheveryone, where there is a similar 1000 miles in 2017 thread. Fetch takes a bit of getting used to but I'm getting the hang of it. And it's very much alive and there's a load of training and logging features that are absent here.

If this thread keeps going I'll stop by from time to time. But tbh I suggest we pack our bags and head over there. I've started a "newbies say hello" thread.

Big thanks to Stylish for starting the thread in this and past years ... no reflection on you or anyone else, it's just, well, this place is a dead duck now tbh.

Come on over  :)
  • 'ey 'op folks!

Sounds like a nice run senidM - I'll ask again (even though I've done this joke before)... person or pastry at the end? :)

senidM and Matt - it's good to hear that the slate predictor is pretty accurate - senidM, it seems like we're aiming for similar marathon times.

Muttley - I saw on the "What do we think... etc." thread that you had been enticed elsewhere. I cope very badly with change so, as you can imagine, this whole debacle is v. traumatic for me... but if you're recommending Fetch and there's a 1000 mile club there too maybe that's the place to be from now on! I'll take a look and see if I break out in hives :smiley:

So - to the task at hand... 20.16 miles done for me today. The furthest I've ever run and it averaged out at 9:56/mi., which is bang smack in the middle of goal marathon pace (8:45/mi.) + 60 - 90 secs. so I'm happy with that! Won't deny my legs are a bit tired now but apart from that I feel good - fuelling seemed to work out well, feet are fine, and concentration-wise I was fine running for just over 3 hours and 20 mins. Feeling pretty positive about the whole 26.2 endeavour now.

YTD: 283.68 miles.
  • DuncanRobbDuncanRobb ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Quiet week for me this week just a steady 3.5 miles on Tuesday and then the Carsington Water Half Marathon today which I completed in 1:32:52 which was below my target time (1:35) a very muddy, windy and hilly course!

Feb: 95

YTD: 111
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 20 Nell, sounds like a good run. With 20s its always about last few miles as an indicator, and if you can finish easy, then another 6 isn't too much of a shock.

And deffo a pastry, cherry danish,mmmmmm, although if it was a real Dane, I'd want it to be the lovely Agnes Obel, she could make an old man very happy or vice versa.

Just in case you're unfamiliar with her work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjncyiuwwXQ
  • Nell, well done on the 20. I think I will just stick to 52 miles a week for now and review it once I reach the 1000 mile mark.

Started pacing at 11:00/mile at Roding Valley Half today and got to the first mile in 11:02. I was asked if I could help someone break 2:15 so sped up and finished in 2:13:16 - so quite happy I could knock off 10 minutes in 12 miles after a slow start.

YTD = 423.63 miles
  • YTD 156.9 

Had a quick look at fetcheveryone - not sure.
  • Nell - stop letting your imagination run away with you  ;)

5 more miles today, so 121 YTD.

At this rate I'll reach Harmander's current total in about July!!
  • PS - undecided on Fetch, but just had a gander there and I'm afraid Harmander that there are 3 peeps there who had racked up even more than you so far this year! So stop slacking!  ;)
  • Lol AndrewD,

That's why I am not on Fetch - I can't keep up with real runners - honestly.

I would like to say that if everyone on here ran the length of time I have to cover the miles I have run, they would be about 200 mileas ahead of me.

I am really slow nowadays.
  • Morning all,

Still some great running going on, congratulations to Harmander 400 miles is fantastic, it is still only February!
    Well done Nell, I am sure you will get round in a decent time, once you can run 20 miles on pace, 26 will be a easy as you will have the crowd behind you.
    Stylish, I am also with Nell on this one, if you need to take some time out then best wishes, I would say however I have had an injury since early November which is only just getting back to normal, I was a bit naughty and run the Worthing half at far below a 100% but still got round (was sore for a while though) so see how it goes, it is still early in the season and the upcoming nice spring weather always helps.

20.02.17 - 5.62
    22.02.17 - 4.06
    23.02.17 - 3.12 Doris made this an interesting run.
    26.02.17 - 3.12

YTD 163.33

Will pop over and check out Fetch, but more than happy here.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone who braved Doris. 18.7 for me yesterday, not a good long run at all for various reasons. But miles in the bank I suppose, cutback this week then 1 more long run then taper for Manchester - it's getting rather close! Over 100 for the month again which is nice.

Feb 107.6
    YTD 213.1
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Hi all! It was mentioned to me that at the beginning of the month I might be on target to get 1000 miles in the year. 

Currently on 122.92, so I think I might have a little to make up, partially due to work and a 24hr gaming marathon that meant no LSR for me this week. I'm still impressed with myself though. This is the first time I've tried counting my milage. 

Congrats on those who have run over 400 miles already, that's amazing! 
  • Had hoped to catch up with you all over the weekend but a seriously busy schedule meany I even missed Match of the Day, unheard of for me.

Anyhow, excellent 20 miler Nell, super 400 Harmander, welcome Faya, plenty of time to catch up! 

senidM, that track is very relaxing. Not my usual kind of thing but really very good.

Nick, every now and again we all have a bad run. Best it's a training run and not the race!

Nice running David, i'm happy here too and I agree Donnie, i'm not a fan of fetch tbh. Andrew, theres plenty of us miles behind Harmander, we'll all hopefully get there in the end.

Cracking HM time DuncanRobb. :-)

I managed to get up early Sunday to slowly get through 14.13 miles. 31 for the week and although the last couple were a little tiring I feel pretty damn good overall. Should hit 90 this month but next month will be a real test as the mileage gets very serious as far as i'm concerned.

February - 85.70

2017 - 147.51

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    PompeyMatt, check out the Pfitzinger & Douglas plan if you'd like to achieve more in the marathon. I'd done one sub-4 and five others between 4:02 and 4:18. Then I followed the P & D 12 weeks/up to 55 mile plan, and ran 3:45:12. Best I've ever felt at the end of a marathon, and I then went on to set PBs across the board.

Muttley, all the best. Not sure that I'll make it over to Fetch. I have to say I'm not loving this new forum, but don't spend that much time on here anyway. I'm sure there's more I should be doing with my time!

Can't remember where I got to with posting my mileage, so will just do the weekend ...

Saturday - 6.92 miles (including parkrun where I paced 23 minutes);
    Sunday - 10.19 miles
    Monday (today) - 8.01 miles - took my headtorch as I was off round the woodies after work, and was delighted to find that I had enough daylight to finish my run! Woohoo! Spring is in the air!! 

Year to date: 267.44 miles