wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• I am watching the weather with interest.... so far, getting colder, but sunnier.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I think you're going to really enjoy yourself out there.  Choice of shoes is going to be a big factor.  You'll have to leave it to the last minute to decide. (I assume like most trail runners you've got multiple pairs looking for that elusive 'right shoe'!)

Unlike their Flete ultra I don't think you've got any river crossings.  That one had 600m of estuary to cross - fortunately I arrived just about at low tide so got away with it quite lightly.  Would be a bit chilly this weather ...

• Have to say that the Cascadia is really comfortable on longer runs.

I've never put it through its paces in the mud though as it's been so dry this autumn

The Salomon is a great shoe for the mud, and I've Changed sizes to try and get it comfortable. But, gonna stick with the Brooks for now!
  • Good luck for the EL Ultra - I imagine your quads may complain the following week!

Re MAF, I can attest it's good for injury avoidance and recovery. I'm apparently porcelain, but on MAF I've been able to run more regularly and even back to back days, which for me is unheard of. I can't say I've seen a big hike in pace for the nominated HR, but my long run is getting longer for the same HR and I can tell easily when I'm getting to my endurance limit as it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the HR below the MAF limit without grinding to a halt - a useful indicator. I've only done 20 MAF runs and I do include the odd parkrun or hilly run to keep my interest up, but I'd say 80% of the time on my feet is at MAF limit or below. I'll stick with it until the end of January for certain, then look at adding some speed.

I've supplemented my running with a gym session each week too, as the MAF runs work like recovery runs post-gym, which I think is also helping the injury-prevention.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Come in, mascott.  You OK?

• Morning, 

Strange, I replied earlier in the week,but its not here

Anyway, a week on...

That was tough

I never really felt comfortable, and its the first time I really felt I might not finish a race

At 9 miles I remember feeling quite fatigued and that created a big doubt in me.

At 14 miles after some huge hills I had to have a little lie down and a banana, it was about here that people started coming past me. Up to this point I was probably in the middle pack I reckon, based on timing.

I managed to get up and start off up to the next hill. I got mild cramping on and off, but it was manaeable, The miles past slowly. 

I set myself a new target, get round the marathon route, then have a coffee, and then  see if you can manage the 10 km route. 

By about 18 miles, I was not interested in anything other than getting round in one piece

Eventually I was heading along the beach, back towards the start/finish of the marathon. By pure chance, there was my wife and son, who were pottering about Lulworth. 

They got me a coffee, and then my son ran 100 yards with me to begin the 10km route.

Then, after I started up the first huge hill of the 190km, I felt good. I knew I was going to finish. I was now in the groove, even is it was a slow one!

I walked with another chap, who works at the same hospital as me, and we ran the down hills. Feeling more positive.

I finished strongly, feeling elated!

I went back to the Youth Hostel and ate a small dinner and slept.

Incredibly, I felt fine this week, and have continued my 3 miles a day with no real issues (ok, a bit slow!)

I feel I have to come back, and see if I can pace it better. I need to work on my strength too. My legs ran out of power on hills that sapped everything I had.

So, in conclusion, during the event I said, never again, now, I am pretty sure I will be booking another event soon.

Oh, I finished 92nd in just over 8 hours.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You finished in one piece.  Brilliant!  Those events are tough.  My time for the Exmoor ultra was 7:52 and only about half a mile further.

I notice there was also an ultra plus!  That looked very serious.  Must give one of those a go sometime.

• Yeah, the ultra plus is lunacy!

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

I'm not sure this is classed as a true Ultra, but i'd rather start smaller and work my way up.

I have entered the Viper 9.0 in March as a solo entry.  Its a 9 hour race in Delamere forest, Cheshire and the idea is to do as many laps of the 5km course in the 9 hours as you can.  So I suppose its as hard as you are willing to push yourself!  There are 3 courses and they change every 3 hours, which I thought was a nice touch.

I don't really have a target, but hopefully go way beyond marathon distance over the 9 hours.

Anyone done a similar event?  Any advice?

• Peers- I'm sure a 9 hour race is an ultra!- you would need to move quite slowly not to go beyond the marathon distance. I've never done a timed lap race, but have my name down on the waiting list for one later in the year. I think they let you leave a large box/ small table of goodies on the start/ finish straight, so that you can re fuel every lap, rather than carrying it all with you- is yours similar? Do they provide food for you, or do you bring your own? 

I looked at the website- you have to do a minimum of 25k in the first 3 hours, 30k, the next 3, the n35k the last 3?- speeding up will be seriously difficult, and for me the faster laps at the end would be a real difficulty- interesting! I think you will need to nail the pacing for that!

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    Team entries have to meet those lap goals, but it says there is no such requirements for solo entries. You can leave the course for food/rest at designated point at start/finish

No food is provided, but I will take supplies. Water is provided but you have to have your own bottle to put it in. You can pitch a tent so me and a friend may well do that to keep supplies in. Also in the event of poor weather we could have pairs of dry socks and extra trainers etc.

Im hoping to keep breaks to a minumum and keep a steady pace way below my normal pace. Im a 44 minute 10k runner so if i could get near 2 laps per hour I would cover around 90km. I think that may be over ambitous but its what I have in my head
  • Sounds interesting- I have to make decisions about a 24 hour lapped race for september ( if i get  s  spot off the waiting list)- I am hoping not to stop for a sleep, but will have a tent pitched just in case- In my mind, the main reason to sit/ lie down would be to change socks and shoes, not to stop for any length of time, but as I've never run beyond 14 .5 hours we shall see.

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

Can't imagine not sleeping for 24 hours whilst covering so much distance!  All the best with that.

The 190 mile self-supported coast to coast over 4 days is a challenge I am interested in for 2018.  This is a start of training potentially towards that.

• I'm a doctor, and still have to do on call weekends that last 48hrs, plus still be able to do a hand=over ward round, and drive home at the end. It would be rare to go 48hrs without sleep, but 24 hours happens on a few occasions, so I know I can stay awake and on my feet for 24hrs. The job is excellent training for ultra running in that regard, - it's just the running that I need to work on. A multi- day ultra is something else entirely, and I don't think I'd manage that- once I stop, I need days to recover.

• Tricialitt, I agree that having a job in the medical world certainly does prep us well for ultras ! I'm on my feet all day with no sitting down ,except for a 30 min lunch - I don't suffer from aching feet or legs in ultras and I'm sure it's to do with 20 years working in my job that's to thank ! lol 
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Well- quiet here- I guess the new RW forum is not popular! Anyone out there doing any ultras this summer? I did the Highland fling at the weekend- 53 miles on the lower half of the West Highland Way- I can highly recommend it, although the terrain is pretty tough! - It's a popular race, and is now ballot entry as it is severely over subscribed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    tricialitt - well done at the Fling. 

I have 3 ultras planned for this year, Dartmoor Discovery and two 6 hour races.  I'm not going to Ireland so much this year which is where I do most of my ultras as I only do road and they have more suitable events for me than the UK.
  • tricialitt, well done - I'd love to do the Fling sometime. What's next for you?

My goals at the moment are (a) don't get injured*; (b) run Comrades. So far. training has included two official marathons (as opposed to 26+ mile training runs) and one six-hour challenge (in which I covered 35 miles officially, 35.5 according to my Garmin). I have another six-hour challenge next Sunday.

Assuming I get through Comrades okay, I'll think what to do next!

*I've lost way too much of the last 3 years to injuries, mostly not caused by running).
    So- I thought I has a 25 miler next weekend, including Ben Nevis, but I think it is either a scam, or its been cancelled. Ah well, race that are DEFINITELY planned are Clyde stride in july, Devil O' the highlands ( the second half of the west highland way) in august, and  a 24 hour race in september. I must try not to enter anything else!
  • Sounds good. I'm (dangerously!) stating to think beyond Comrades. I miss the trails. There's the Ridgeway Challenge in late August if I want to up the distance by a further 32 miles and add in a good dose of night running...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I did the Fling four times but stopped doing it once the entry numbers got so high.  it made the narrow sections far too congested and not enjoyable.  The Devil o' the Highlands I've never done because you used to need a crew for the last section (perhaps still do?)  But I have done the whole WHW twice by simply continuing after a couple of my Flings.  (Well, it wasn't that simple!!)

The northern half of the WHW is more scenic but very hard on the feet indeed.

I highly recommend Ridgeway 86, Debra.  Done that four times as well and is just about my favourite event.  I will be back for it in 2018 all being well.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I've just done the Malvern Hills ultra (45 miles) which was extremely enjoyable and I think my most scenic course to date and with very high quality trails.  The recent dry weather also helped a lot!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I hope to travel to Ireland more, Shades.  I'm going to keep going to Connemara until I get a sub-6:00 time!  Disastrous this year with 7:03.  I had lots of issues including dehydration unexpectedly on a largely cloudy day with a cold wind.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T Rex - I will go back to Connemara at some time to do the ultra again.   Sorry to hear you had a bad run, but nothing you can do about that Connemara weather.  Despite being a circular course because of the nature of the course it's possible to run into a headwind for the whole 39 miles.  :'(
    Trex-Johnny Fling has taken over the organisation of the Devil, and it no longer requires a support crew.  I am still swithering over the stupidity of trying to do the WHW race - at my pace I'm looking at 33hrs or so.
  • Shades: running the Beach Head marathon in 2012 was like that: headwind all the way. A friend said as we were starting off round the large horseshoe "at least we'll have the wind behind us by the time we get to the other side" - but no, it stayed in our face despite our travelling in the opposite direction by then!

T Rex, thanks for the Ridgeway 86 recommendation. It's one I was looking at for 2014 before the first of my series of injuries...

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Debra - I can remember doing Beachy Head and having to grab the grass to climb the hills to stop being blown over, not what you need in the last few miles of a marathon.
  • Hello all thought I'd stop lurking I have signed up for my first ultra next year the Thames trot. I have run a couple of marathons in the past and love long distance off road running. I am quite concerned about the cut of time so have given myself plenty of time to train. I am running Abingdon in October as part of training. Any advice greatly received not sure about attempting a 50 k before but could not really find one.
  • Hi All.
    Goodluck to everyone with their up and coming races!! I did a 43mile on Saturday so have so much respect for all of you.
    I thought this would be a very good thread to post on as there is a real mix of experience on here.
    I'm at Kings College London in the Department of Health and Life Science- Medicine, and looking to do a research project into the effects of Ultramarathon on the body, but I want to make sure its research that the running community would find useful. If you have any ideas or burning questions I would love to hear your thoughts? thanks all and goodluck!!