Training For The 'Right' Distance

12346»

Comments

• And so much bullshit written since that this still stands out in people's minds image

• I've had it bookmarked since day 1!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

A blast from the past. image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I'd like a quid for everytime I've sent/posted the link to this thread to someone...

• Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭

I just discovered this thread via a link on another one. I'm pretty much a newbie/beginner, 38 years old and overweight, and my times are waaay slower than most people posting here. I started taking running seriously last September, though I had been an intermittent jogger for a few years. I did the Madrid RocknRoll HM last week, which was what kicked the training off for me, although my initial principal motivation was to get fitter for hiking and cycling, and hopefully to lose some weight. I was just hoping to begin with that I'd actually be able to finish the HM, without worrying about times at all. As it turns out I've lost more weight than I could have possibly imagined, I completed the HM in 1:55:37, and I've just signed up for a 10k towards the end of June. I'm beginning to think of myself as something of a runner, and want to take training more seriously to see where I can get to. 

Anyway, my question is this: the training suggestions on page one all include a long run which is slightly longer than race distance; however I've had it as gospel from some fairly serious runners here (I live in Spain) that you shouldn't (not just don't need to, but shouldn't) run more than about 85% of race distance in training. That's not actually a question is it? Well, any thoughts on that is what I'd like to ask. What are the rationales for either position?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It depends how long the race is, Dan. I would not like to go into a 10k race having only trained up to 8.5k.

Also, it probably depends what your local serious runners' approach to training and racing is. If you are buying into Moraghan's approach (don't move up to longer distances until you have the mileage and experience to handle it), then running longer than race distance should not be a problem for you.

• Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭
    That was what I thought, and did up to 23k UN training for the hm. I wanted to know what it felt like to run that far. It's just I've heard so many people talk about upper limits of 16k for the half and 20miles for the full I was wondering what the different approaches are based on.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, if you were to follow Moraghan's other recommendation in the first post of your long run being up to 30% of your weekly mileage, you would need to be running 76km per week in total before you did that 23km run. If you weren't doing that, then people might tell you 23km was too far for you to run in training.

• Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭
    Right. I was doing 55-65km/week at that stage, which would mean my long runs should have been 19.5km at most. Anyway I'm focusing on the 10k for the next five and bit weeks, so I'm going to try to put these principles into practice.
  • Just bumping this up again as it is an awesomely concise and helpful thread with lots of answers to the usual questions.
  • PhilPub wrote (see)

In fact, possibly more worthy of a "sticky" than, say, "Have you ever been last in an event"?  Just a thought.

Come on RW!!

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)

In fact, possibly more worthy of a "sticky" than, say, "Have you ever been last in an event"?  Just a thought.

Come on RW!!

• I just found this thread what knowledgeable advice and so true 100% only on page 2.

exactly what I wanted so have saved it in my favorites so i do not lose it!!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I've been considering a marathon for some time and the one thing holding me back is I'm aware of the mileage I'd need to log and am asking myself can I seriosuly manage the volume. Reading the opening couple of posts has almost convinced me to remain focused on 10k and half marathons (currently running 40-50mpw). Like most runners though, I feel like it is my "calling" to race one, even if I don't do another for a few years later. I'm also stronger over longer distances than I am 5k and 10k races. My p.b for 10k is 37:03, but I have cracked 1:20 in a half.

Thanks for bumping this thread VDOT51!

I have read it about a dozen times since I came across it and as mentioned by Mr pub it does answer most of the question that we should be asking ourselves about our training.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

newbies shouldn't be allowed to post any questions at least until they've read through this.

• Bump again, read it from the start

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Just came across this thread while searching for something else, this has got to be the 'Concise Runner's Bible.' Compulsory reading for every runner! Therefore, a well deserved bump.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Why is this not yet a sticky? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I searched and bookmarked this thread as soon as we moved to the new website, didn't want to lose this one.
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    6 and a half years ago.  The mind boggles while the knees cry out in pain!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Blimey, the big man returns! Thought i'd misread last poster for opening poster

Take a gander at the best thread on the site (bar this one ;-) ) that still has your name attached if you're sticking around :)

• Yeah great advice for newbies and old hacks alike.