HADD Training Method

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sol2 - I think you are refreshing the page and reposting again and again!

Iprice - the weather does have a significant effect on the HR, wait until you're running in the summer on a hot day! B)

Fridays I run earlier in the morning and there wasn't a breath of wind, it was such a joy after yesterdays battering from Storm Doris.   If I'd known today was going to be so good I might have done my Hadd test, I think the next few days are windy again so I'll wait for calmer weather.
  • PWT10PWT10 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that this is a little subjective, but when running a comparative "flat route" for x minutes or y miles to gauge any HR / pace drift, exactly how flat do you think is needed? Are you looking for less than a certain number of feet elevation gain per mile? I doubt any of us have miles of billiard table flat roads.....

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    PWT10 - I think that's a subjective question.   I live in an undulating area and you can't go very far without meeting a hill.    For my own records I tend to consider anything with an average climb per mile of less than 40 feet a flat course, undulating sub 75 and 80+ hilly.   But some of my routes are a combination of both so I might describe it in my training diary as  eg.  undulating/hilly.   The route I did yesterday is flat for the first half and undulating for the 2nd half so is described as flat/undulating, average climb per mile for the whole run was 58 feet.   This morning's run I described as flat and average climb was 38 feet per mile.
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Whoa! What on earth?! The problem was that the 'post comment' button was not responding. So I pressed again. And again. Still nothing. So, again. And again...  Oh, well, that's embarrassing! 

PWT10, welcome to the thread! Good question. I assume that you do not live in a flat area, or anywhere close to flat roads. 

There may be a couple of solutions. If you have a flattish second or third mile of your run, take note of your pace vs HR. If you can find another flattish mile in the last mile or two, you will have something to compare against. 

If flattish miles are really a rarity, you don't need to do this on every run. You just need to be aware of pace vs HR on the flat (update this every few weeks), then you only need to find a flattish mile at the end. 

Another solution may be to run a loop twice round and simply compare loop 1 against 2.

Otherwise, hills usually go up, then down. Allow the HR to rise on the uphills and decline on the downs. Obviously, your pace will be erratic. You probably know this. But if the route is of similar terrain and elevation all the way round, just compare the averages. It's the best you can do. 

I guess I'm lucky. I do live in a hilly/undulating area(North Manchester) and most of my runs (6-8 miles) contain some 300-400ft elevation. If I run downhill for two miles, I reach the river and surrounding flat roads. Last night's 9 mile tempo had elevation gain of only 78ft! But the 1.5mi warm down slog home had 180ft of climbing. 
  • PWT10PWT10 ✭✭✭
    SHADES: going by your figures, I live in the flattest place on earth and it is only my OCD that's the issue! I could probably run for quite a while with an average of less than 20ft of climb per mile!

Sol2: I think I may go with your "2 loops" idea. Realistically any drift should be most noticeable between the end of each loop and while covering the same ground.

When considering pace drift for a stable HR, for example an hour at 8x% for LT work, how much would you consider to be unacceptable movement and so not "move on" to a higher HR next time? 10sec/pm, 30sec/pm drift? 
  • My HR was high again for the second time running this week, but this was on the treadmill so can't blame the weather, I'm getting a cold so maybe this effects HR?  Although I suspect it might be the FR235 as some of the HR's are erratic.  It's been okay thus far apart from the occasional blip but last two runs have been odd, unless it is my HR that's going up!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    PWT10 - I live in Devon, so we do have a few hills around here :)    Most of my running routes are out and back so I always get the chance to run down any hill I've had to run up.

Re pace drift, you do ask tricky questions...if it was flat I'd say roughly 10-15 seconds a mile but I think I can feel when cardiac drift starts to kick in as I lose that comfortable ease of pace that I was enjoying and start having to focus on keeping HR down.

Iprice - yes your HR would be raised if you have a virus such as cold.   And as you say some erratic readings from your FR235.
  • My run on Wednesday the average bpm and cadence were exactly the same, wondering if it was the dreaded 'cadence lock', in fact given how my hr went up so quickly am certain it was.  Anyone with the FR 235 got any hints or tips?
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Iprice, I do have the 235, too, but have not experienced any major difficulties with it and certainly not for the length of an entire run. 

My cadence is, on average, 173, while at a 70% HR of 134.  Even during a subLT, HR 80% or 154, my cadence is 180+. So I have not seen anything like 'cadence lock.' Nor do I expect to. 

In my opinion, if you are in any doubt as to your HR, just go slower. 
  • Afternoon all, a couple of niggles have set in this week which has had me in a a world of taper madness.
    I still managed 33.23 miles including a 11.19 mile lsr this morning @11:22 which is quick for my standards @71% av hr.
    Both of my knees have been creaking in recent weeks, plus my calves have been getting very tight in one run a week.
    Its a very similar niggle to what I had about 11 months ago. To combat this previously, I started stretching before and after runs, plus I was given calf and back exercises which has really done the trick until now. So I will be doubling all of these exercises with the assumption that this should resolve itself.

With only one week to race day, I may need to change my target of a sub 3 hour 20 mile race, into 3.05 if its as windy as today, and maybe even 3.10 if my knees and calves don't settle down.

How has everyone else got on this week?
    Maybe a little over thinking of things from what I've read? 
    Hadd is just a motivation to get more miles in, the rest takes care of itself, or at least it seems to at my level. 

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    I've Hadd a look around for a quote from Hadd which would answer the question when to start with the subLT runs. I'm going to post this without my own opinion - it's for you to understand it and apply it if you feel it is relevant. 

Hi Lame Runner,
    The young "you" is a prime example of how most HS and college runners on here train. You should now understand that your weekly average was so low, because there was no way you could add in any more fast miles and still survive. I could relate a number of stories of guys just like you.

So, what to do? Well, as you can see, there is no way to go back to that kind of training. Now it's long and steady mileage and top it up with a modicum of hills and speedwork.

I always believe each run should be enjoyable and not a chore (having said that I have run up to a max of 137 mpw and don't recall "whistling a song" on too many of those runs). But miles and miles of sluggish training will damage anyone's motivation.

So, with you, let's do this:
    A HR of 170+ is too hard (even though it is do-able). So just run at a max of steady 160 HR. As you can read in these (far too many) posts of mine, try and build up to alternating days of 90 mins and 60 mins. Take some weeks to do this and don't jump into it. Even build a Sunday up to 2 hrs+.

Now this pace at 160 HR should become fast(er) pretty quickly. When it does, drop the daily average HR to 155 and continue at 155... when THAT pace improves, drop the daily average to 150 and continue at 150. By then you should be running at 150 HR at the same speed that used to require 160 HR. So, do NOT keep hammering away at 160 HR all the time.

Now, once or twice per week, when you are have built up to where the 150-155 HR runs are at a reasonable pace, add in one or two runs per week at 160-165 HR. These might be in the form of 2 x 30 mins at 165 HR (one evening) and 60 mins straight at 160 HR another evening.

At all times control the effort and do not let the HR climb after the first 20 mins or so (meaning: after it has stabilised). The weather is pretty cool now, most places, and you should not have to contend with baking heat and high sweat rates.

So, run easy, run long, and 170 and 180 HR's are too high. In 3 months you should be a much improved runner. See you then.

In time you will get back to the fast and faster, but, as you should understand reading all these posts, the EFFORT (in terms of aerobic/anaerobic mix) required to run at those paces will be different than it used to be.

Read more:http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=42240&page=2#ixzz4ZnZLstOf

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn -
    Afternoon all, a couple of niggles have set in this week which has had me in a a world of taper madness.
    I still managed 33.23 miles including a 11.19 mile lsr this morning @11:22 which is quick for my standards @71% av hr.
    Both of my knees have been creaking in recent weeks, plus my calves have been getting very tight in one run a week.
    Its a very similar niggle to what I had about 11 months ago. To combat this previously, I started stretching before and after runs, plus I was given calf and back exercises which has really done the trick until now. So I will be doubling all of these exercises with the assumption that this should resolve itself.

With only one week to race day, I may need to change my target of a sub 3 hour 20 mile race, into 3.05 if its as windy as today, and maybe even 3.10 if my knees and calves don't settle down.

Have you checked your shoes aren't wearing out?  Do you rotate your shoes to try and prevent injury and have several pairs that are not the same brand/model?

It's always good to have a Plan A, B and C for a race. :) 

Sol2 -I think it would be better that if you're going to quote that you put it in italics or something otherwise it looks like a rambling post,  a couple of other Haddites have moved away from this thread because of those long copied posts.   Maybe just post the link?

• Funny you should say that Shades, I am looking to buy a new pair this week as my only pair are looking quite worn and would of been over 500 miles wear. 
    A downside to the extra miles is having to replace runners more often I suppose :)
    i doubt I will wear the new ones in the race though as I won't have had time to break them in time. 
  • Sol2 said:
    Iprice, I do have the 235, too, but have not experienced any major difficulties with it and certainly not for the length of an entire run. 

My cadence is, on average, 173, while at a 70% HR of 134.  Even during a subLT, HR 80% or 154, my cadence is 180+. So I have not seen anything like 'cadence lock.' Nor do I expect to. 

Hi Sol, cadence lock is more common thank you think, just google it and you'll see lots of discussion, more so I believe if you HR and cadence are closer together.  When I'm in doubt I focus on running at the conversational pace and often recite the Lord's Prayer to check I can speak coherently!
  • Sol2 said:

Hi Sol, cadence lock is more common thank you think, just google it and you'll see lots of discussion, more so I believe if you HR and cadence are closer together.  When I'm in doubt I focus on running at the conversational pace and often recite the Lord's Prayer to check I can speak coherently!
  • Sol2 said:

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn - oh dear, if it is your shoes causing your twinges you really could do with them for your race.   But it depends how long you need to break them in.   I fortunately have been wearing GTS Adrenalines for my races for so long that I can quite happily take them straight out of the box and run a marathon in them, and have done so a couple of times.   Ideally though as I use elastic laces I like to have a couple of short runs to get the lacing tension right before a race.

Iprice - I've heard/seen somewhere about the cadence lock problem that you mention.
    You having problems with the forum too?
  • Very happy with my second time trial today, 6 weeks after my first. It's good to see tangible improvements
  • I'm hoping to buy the same asics I have now to help with breaking them in. 
    Great times sslhp
  • Hi Shades, problem with the watch yes but not the forum?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - your previous post was repeated several times!

SSLHP - great results for your Hadd test.   I think it really helps doing the test as it's such a good motivator knowing that the training is working.

Martyn - hopefully the new shoes won't need getting used to.

I have a niggle in my knee so have had to ease off training this week, will decide about my race on Saturday.    It's not important if I miss this race as I have another race the following weekend.
  • Lol no idea why, sorry!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iprice - that's OK, who knows how this new forum works ;)

Are you still suffering from your cold?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    20:55 parkrun on Saturday and then 20 miles on Sunday (70% for most but last 2 miles at MP) ... 63 miles for the week. Plan is to do the same combo this weekend ... may attempted 22 if it's going well as the weekly total should be more like 45-47 this time.
  • Great mileage Dr Dan and a very good Parkrun time to boot.
    Was that anywhere near your PB?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Cheers Martyn. My PB is 19:37 on the same course ... but that was some time ago now. Best I've done in recent times was 19:58 last August.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Make that 19:34! I aint giving those 3 seconds away lightly ;-)
  • SHADES said:
    Iprice - that's OK, who knows how this new forum works ;)

Are you still suffering from your cold?

Cold on way out mate but got ear infection and on antibiotics so no running
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dr Dan - your marathon training is going well.

Iprice - hope you're better soon, don't try and run until you're well again.

Martyn - good luck for your 20 mile race tomorrow.   

I've decided to DNS my race tomorrow and just give my knee niggle a few more days.
  • That's no doubt a good idea for you Shades considering your hectic race calendar. No point making it worse before your season has even really began. 
    Thanks, lots of rain forecast this morning so I'm going to have to have to go with a water proof wind breaking running jacket which I'm not best pleased with. I'm going to adjust my target to 3:05 due to the weather.