Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• It seems I have joined the gang on the injured bench this week too. I have spent 7 days off running with a piriformis pull, hoping to get back out there on Wednesday for a short easy pace run. At least it has given me plenty of time for extra strength & core work. Not ideal timing, I am off to the dom rep next week which means 2 weeks of great,y reduced running too. That gives me 2 weeks to increase my long run from 14miles up to 18-20 before Paris which I guess is doable my original target pre injury was to run sub 4, but I will be happy finishing at the moment. You first have to finish to hit any time goal.
  • Wise words. My experience is illness during training has never had an impact on my marathon performance, but injuries always have. If injuries happen focus on getting healthy and forget, or adjust, time goals.

Hope the injury clears quickly Hatton2009.
  • Totally agree, I should be fine by time Paris comes around, we still have a good few weeks and some sun will help me, I am planning on setting off at a slower than originally planned pace and see how it feels 15 miles in. I keep having to remind myself that this is my first marathon so don't go crazy, I say that at every race and always set off too fast, I just don't learn. Plus with the first 2-3k looking like its downhill I need to hold back the adrenaline and temptation.
  • Oh P.s. List fairy!! I keep forgetting, I am signed up for the following races this year:
    26th March - Cheshire 10K
    9th April - Paris Marathon (no surprises there)
    27th May - Rock n Roll Liverpool 5K
    28th May - Rock n Roll Liverpool HM
    24th September - Berlin Marathon
    5th November - New York Marathon
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the sympathy, I'm putting on ibuprofen gel as I write!
    Hatton2009 you have a good selection of races there-we all had a chat much earlier on about entering the NYC ballot which I think we hear about soon. It's a great marathon and the whole city celebrates, good luck with it
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Gels are an acquired taste and take a while to get used to.  I'd recommend trying different ones. I wouldn't recommend flapjack unless you're planning on a walk break as it's difficult to swallow and chew 
  • FRG2 & Pancake 2 - we'll have to have a mini meet-up prior to MK20. I did hear rumours of a hill towards the end.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Looks like there's some injuries building. Hopefully it's far enough away still to give you some healing time, Eggy, TBO2 and Hatton.
    Looks like you're setting a great pace, Nells! 
    Katey, I've tried High5 (bit sticky) and SiS (like baby food). Haven't braved jelly babies, as I think I'd need to carry too many. 
    Brief meet pre MK20 sounds good, Pistol101, Pancake. I'm slow and steady, so wouldn't suggest meeting at the end. Have a MK-based runner uni friend who warned about the hill...and apparently a photographer at the top. Makes for a great finishing photo, I'm sure. 

• 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there are pacers at the Paris marathon for non elites? I don't get how it could work given staggered start  times.

thank you!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    1992 - yep there are pacers. There's 2 groups per pen if I remember correctly so 4 pacers in total. They'll stick together in groups of two. 

Whilst they're good, don't rely on them entirely and always ask how they're pacing (even pacing, quicker first half etc). An example is London where they'll have a slow first 3 miles due to congestion and need to speed up the following 5 miles to make it up. 

Also, the groups tend to be large and there's a fair bit of jostling but that's all good fun ;-)
  • 1992km - Yes, as Emmy has said there are pacers. The pacers will have time goals based on your starting pen. For instance if you are in the green pen the estimated time for that is 4:00-4:15, which means the four hour pacers would be in there. There are a few of them and they' are clearly marked as they have balloons coloured to the pen.

Much like Emmy I'd be wary of trusting them. I've seen pacers go off way too fast, and some that have obviously started slow and them ramped up the pace late on to try and meet their target.  One year at Paris I nearly had a heart attack when I sub 4:30 pacer went past me near the half way point. I ran a 3:58 that year and had started in front of him! Big changes in pace might be ok for the pacer who will most likely be running well within their ability, but for someone at their limit chasing a time that sort of thing can easily see you blow up and fall away.

If you want a time I'd suggest pacing yourself. Keep the pace as even as possible. The course has clocks at every 5km marker/timing mat, so it's easy enough to track your pace through those splits. Also never trust your watch for distance. Always use the course markers, which has both kilometre and mile markers.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Catching up on this thread after not checking for a few days. Can tell we are getting closer as the comments are coming through quicker.

I was due to be the 4h30 pacer at a marathon on 12 March but it has just been cancelled with just a few weeks to go :-( My training has all been based on making sure I am more than fit enough to pace the marathon at 4h30 and all of a sudden I have to decide what to target for Paris.

I have previously always targeted the big sub-4 for all my road races. And have achieved this in every road race bar VMLM which was a minute over (in fancy dress). Then I was injured at the back end of last year just as I was trying to concentrate on speedwork. I had almost 2 months out from running as I recuperated.

I remember I had to cancel a number of 10k races I had entered and had a big sulk. Then I gave a place in a 10k race to a friend who ran it in 90 minutes and came 2nd from last (in my name). It feels silly now but I was very cross about it at the time.

Basically I had to forget all about times and get back and build up my running. I had a gradual build up and did Portsmouth Marathon in just under 5 hours with a number of the wonderful people on here. And it was great just to be running and not worried about times. The old me would have been horrified with that time.

So Eggy and others on the bench. You have my sympathy. Wishing you a recovery in time for Paris. But forget about times if you need to and enjoy it. You will get over any tantrums you might have about your times being lower than your best.

This will be my third Paris Marathon. My previous two were sub-4 and my pride tells me I should target sub-4 again. But they both hurt (yes I know marathons always hurt) and I'm thinking maybe I should just go out and enjoy it and admire the wonderful city that is Paris and take it all in, rather than the head down hurt all over experience of before.

Anyway, I have the Essex 20 Championships race this weekend. It will be my fourth and I already know it will be my slowest time at this event. But I'm aiming to enjoy it.
    It's quite nice being so relaxed about Paris for once.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Oh, and well done Nells again on the parkrun PB. It is wonderful to have followed your progress.
  • Lloyd - At this moment in time getting to the start line in Paris is my goal. I've dropped any thoughts of time goals.

Originally I was hopeful of getting in shape for a PB attempt, particularly after running a 3:49 in Portsmouth off anything but a proper training plan. Unless buggering off to Thailand for three weeks, six weeks out from a marathon and doing no running counts as elite tapering? I was very comfortable for most of that race and it was only five minutes slower than my PB! The weather that day was perfect for me though.

I just hope I can be like you and be happy with my time no matter what it is. In previous years I've not handled running poor times well at all.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    A start line with Eggy on it is the best kind of start line. Fingers crossed you mend well.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Portsmouth isn't the easiest course either for the time you got.  

Take it easy.  There's still time ;-)
  • I thought that course was ok. The beach sections were brutal, but other than that it was fine. I think the conditions play a massive part in running that route though. If the ground had been wet, or the wind was up, it would have been a much tougher run.
  • Admin alert. If you're European (including, for the time being, UK...) now is a good time to check/order a new EHIC card. 

In the unlikely event that you need medical treatment when you're in Paris, if you can produce your card you'll be treated under the same rules as the locals. If not, you'll have to pay for treatment and fill in a lot of tedious forms to get a refund.

If you need one, or need to renew (they do expire) you can get it from this website (it's free, watch out for bogus websites that will try to charge you) http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    You're very kind Lloyd - I'm slowly chipping away at it, but still think I'm very much a plodder... and not getting any younger either so I need to get a move on  :#

Just checked my EHIC RR - expires in July 2017, so will get it renewed whilst it's still worth having in the summer!

Hope things improve soon for you Eggy. I've restarted my occasional morning yoga regime this week in an effort to avoid damaging myself. I'm stiffer from that than the 20 miler on Sunday!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Pistol - there is no hill at the end of MK, it's a #%€$ing mountain!

I was pacing the half last year so I wasn't going full pelt, but if I was - ouch. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kenno - Have I blacked out that mountain?... :/
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the alert on the health cards Rodent, I will check ours but my son definitely doesn't have one so need to get him one.

Lloyd - When I was pregnant I let somebody run a 10km I had entered in my name and they did it in 1 hour 20 minutes. I was just relieved they had done it slower than I had run it in the previous year so it wasn't a fake PB!

Today's quite frankly pathetic effort was a short run, and short run it was. I only have time for 5km in my lunch break and nursery called me just as I was walking out the building as my son was poorly. They talked so long I only had time for 4km but I was running against a very strong wind for half of it so it felt like hard work. Still wake up every morning wondering what the hell I'm doing attempting to run a marathon seeing as I can only just make 15 miles right now. 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Emmy - MK festival of running finishes in Campbell park. It's a huge climb right at the end. 
  • Cheers Ken! I'll spend 3 hours looking forward to that!

Are you still pacing the half? What time are you doing?
  • Thanks for the EHIC link RR.  The last time I went abroad it was a paper E11 I think.  The last time I was in Paris was about 17 years ago. :o
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Thanks Eggy and Emmy for the points on the pacers. 

I had hoped I could use them to ensure I kept an even pace rather than a timing chart. It sounds like I had better do that chart. :)

One thing that worries me is letting the combo of ego, excitement, adrenaline and claustrophobia  take over. I have run both my organised half marathons at a much quicker pace than I planned for. I kept going, which is great, and got better times than I ever expected but am sceptical that the marathon will be as forgiving of such poor discipline. 
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Hi folks I've not been on for a while,just not had the time.Running has been going fine.

Eggyh-Did you decide to try the Stirling marathon,I've signed up for my next one.

What's everyone's thoughts on the long run.I usually try do 3-5  20 milers.Alot of the article I've read recently seem to suggest that slower runners stick to 16-18 miles with a 8-10 mile run the day before.The articles seem to suggest that runs over 2-2.5 hours don't improve anything except confidence.Just wondering what you folks think 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jokeybhoy - Good to see you back.

I'm not doing Stirling this year. I'm doing the Luxembourg night marathon, which I think is the same weekend as Stirling. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I honestly think the long runs are an individual thing. My experience has been I run better off more of them. I normally do five LSR's of 20 miles or more. I know others who have had better results doing what that article suggests and running fewer. It's one of those things that they only way you'll find out is by trying it.
  • katey said:
    Still wake up every morning wondering what the hell I'm doing attempting to run a marathon seeing as I can only just make 15 miles right now. 
    You're doing exactly the same as we all are - pushing yourself beyond what was possible yesterday, in optimistic and dogged pursuit of something that's really tough to achieve. Keep going!

On the subject of pacers in Paris, I agree they're all over the place - often go past/ get over taken by them and think "They're miles off hitting that pace!"

Accepted LSR strategy (in terms of statistical analysis of LSRs completed and runners who slow dramatically in the final 6 miles, and the 'wisdom' of various authors of marathon books) suggests that your total distance for your 5 longest runs should add up to at least 100 miles to avoid injury/ hitting the wall. But individuals differ, we are not statistics. I need a bit more (I'm planning on a couple of 22s and a 23, total probably 109 miles).