Options

lightweight race shoes for a marthon. I have concerns.

MACbMACb ✭✭✭
I am training for a spring marathon and am wondering what shoes to wear for it. I currently run wearing Asics Gel Nimbus's for training on the road (plus lots of O/R running). Last year I started wearing Saucony Fastwitch for road league races (5-10miles) and they felt pretty good. I then got up to running half marathons in them. But is a marathon too far to wear such a lightweight shoe? do I stick with the more cushioned option? I have a 20 mile race 3 weeks before, so would that be a good time to try 20 miles in the race shoe or is that too risky? Thanks for any advice.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'd not race a 20 miler three weeks before a marathon. I'd not be recovered.

And why not try your intended race shoes on your long runs in good time before the race ?

It's hard to comment on what shoes you need as everyone is different.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    OK, my mistake, it is a race but I'll run it as a training run. So not flat out. I never train in the lightweight shoe for fear of injury, so they are just to shave seconds off my race times for races. They feel OK for 13.1 miles but I am concerned I might want the extra cushioning for double that distance. I just wondered what people did in general since i'm not particularly familiar with the marathon distance.  
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    If they're ok for your 20 mile run and half marathon I think they'll be ok for the marathon. Most people will do at least one, often more, long runs in their race shoes to make sure they're ok for the day.
  • Options
    You'll only know when you do it to be honest. I don't do marathons, but I use lightweight racers for halves and have never had a problem. But we're all different.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

OK, I might plan my last long run in them. If I do a route that is not too far away from home I can make a change midway if necessary. HA77, I have not done the 20 miles in them yet. I suppose my concern was the possibility of discovering a problem during a long run and then setting me back for the marathon. At least if I have a problem in a marathon I will suffer some discomfort but I should finish it.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased the nike zoom streak to run London in (well I bought them last August to wear in a few halfs also). I have always only worn flats up to 10k but the streaks are a touch sturdier. Beyond that I have just worn my standard training shoe (gt1000). I am also a bit edgy about wearing them for a marathon but they have been fine in the 3 halfs ive worn them in (more than fine in fact, they felt great). I also have a 20 (Ashby) in 3 weeks so that will be the big test.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    DTI9, see you at Ashby, it is my 20 miler too. I do like the feel of them for the 2 half marathons I have done them in, getting 2 PB's in the process. So maybe Ashby will be the test.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ive done myself an injustice by occasionally running a mara pace or tempo session in them as well. Now when I do those runs in my gts I feel like I have clown shoes on.

Great stuff, have you done it before? Whats your run plan for the day there?

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I only race in the lightweight shoes, I was hoping for that special speedy feeling on marathon race day. They certainly feel good in the half marathons I have done. I did Ashby last year, but although I had been training with a group that were preparing for marathons I was not. I just got caught up with the marathon vibe. So, unlike most of them I raced Ashby and was quickest from my club. At the end a few people said you are ready for a marathon now, but I had other ideas! There is a big difference running 20 and 26.2 miles! I was dead by the end. But, it was a great race and is always popular. Doing 2 laps can be mentally tough. The route is great, lovely rolling hills which I like. So nothing too hard but it beats a flat route in my opinion. I do have sleepless nights when I think about the last 1.5 miles back into Ashby after the 2 big loops, not too hard but there is a hill involved and it nearly finished me off! This year I will ease off a bit, I want to feel that I have something in the tank at the end. What marathon are you doing? 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I did Gloucester 20 last year....that's 3 laps! And reasonably similar sounding profile to Ashby. I ran it at a more comfortable pace as an actual training run so I very much enjoyed the whole run as a long run with lots of company. I am doing London again so it gives 5 weeks to recover if you do get pulled along, which most people see as sufficient to recover from a full mara.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I only have 3 weeks to recover, I'm doing Brighton. How did you get into London? ballot?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ah right, you do need to take it easy then! Ballot for 2016 which I then ran in a GFA time to get in for this year.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I swore not to run another marathon before signing up for Brighton. However, I am attempting a GFA London time, so my second marathon might lead to a third!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    After my first which provided a torrid time I swore never again. Then I felt I had unfinished business and in turn really enjoyed London 2016. It was helped by the fact that I was comfortably inside my 3.15 gfa zone  and even further into a pb, but also far enough away from other threshold times that I didn't set out with an unduly optimistic target of a time that was beyond me just because it seemed like I just as well. Those are the people you see strewn across the roadside from 18 miles onwards. I enjoyed every minute of the first 22 and the last 4 were hard work because I was tired but they were not death march horrible, just tough.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    DTI9, that is very true. I am hoping to run conservatively and enjoy it, which I should be able to do for the GFA time. But, I know there is a risk of getting over confident during the first half and then messing it up big time at the end by biting off more than I can chew! so many runners do it. Ashby will be a test of my discipline!

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    DTI9, how did you get on at Ashby?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi, right on plan, 7.05 mm at correct hr to be slower than Mara pace. It was a tough course and conditions compared to glouces 20 last year. Came in 2.21.59.

On the shoe front no issues at all from lack of support as I feared. Only concern was that I was beginning to form blisters. 

How did you do? 
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I had a cracking run, tried to keep it steady but felt very good at half way. I even beat last years time doing just under 2.16. A real confidence booster before Brighton. My only worry now is running a flatish route, I loved the rolling landscape today. I was lucky to catch my female colleague at about mile 15 and helped her get 2nd lady, which probably helped me ease off a slight amount. As for the shoes, I opted for the cushioned Nimbus's, so now have a decision to make. They felt very good and will probably be the safe option. Good luck for the run in to Brighton.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, sounds like you had a good day. What sort of effort was that, mp or flat out 20 pace than? I enjoyed the climbs less as I was trying to run in a combination of pace and HR and hills don't help that. 

I'm defo sticking with today's footwear. My biggest fear was my plantar fac, calfs and knees would feel battered but they all feel good. 
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Thanks, effort wise I think it was probably mp but not feeling dead at the end. I said i'd try and run slower but I always get carried away and race club colleagues! But I should recover this week and have only a 5m race next weekend. I have done quite a few races this year, mainly cross country and I think it has helped my fitness but also metal preparation. I got a 10k pb last weekend whilst feeling pretty jaded too. Glad yours went well and the body is feeling good.
  • Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    I have ran 3 marathons in saucony fastwitch. hope this helps.