Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - that book sounds interesting but his name makes me think of Jimmy Saville! I'm planning on doing 15 of the 20 miles for the race at marathon pace, I think as this is what I've done for the last couple of years.

Feeling special as Big G and I have 3 stars after our names but the rest of you seem to be star-less!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, oh yeah!  Now I've actually got some stars against my name, maybe RW will stop sending me the blinking emails about it!!?
  • It's been a busy week at work so havent been commenting much.
    Emmy what a gorgeous dog.My friend has a husky and often runs at our parkrun with him!
    wow Big C those pictures are beautiful. I havent ran too many miles this week mainly because my leg was slightly sore after my long run last weekend so trying to be careful. My main aim is try and get to the start line of the marathon with the injuries at bay! I went for a run yesterday - just a short 4 miles and then this morning I just went on the cross trainer in the gym and then to a spin class. Doing my 17 mile run on saturday and have two friends running with me most of the way. Actually looking forward to it right now but dont know if I'll be saying that during my run!
    Hope everyone has a good weekend planned
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Ha - they've been emailing me at least twice a day to tell me I've achieved level 3, but what does that mean?!!!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news,  I think everyone is level 3? 
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
     :( That's weird, you all now have stars! Before it was definitely just me and Big G on my phone. Feeling very un-special now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter SK/Emmy. It means we're all winners. We just don't know what we've won. 
  • I have two stars - is that because I am new?! ;-)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've been notified that I'm level 3 three times! If I reach level 20, will they notify me 20 times? :D
    Big G - love those photos. And what a nice dog. What sort of dog is that?
    SK - I know what you mean, but Jim Fixx will forever be known as they guy who promoted running as healthy then managed to die of a heart attack while out running. He did have a family history of heart disease, though, and had been an overweight smoker - things a lot of critics ignored while throwing their trainers in the bin.
    Good luck with the long run, Suz.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: what a beautiful dog!  And an unusual name to boot!  

I took a wussy rest day here,  it was awfully windy and I've just run out of time :-(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    She's a German wirehaired pointer. This is her with a chew that looks (to me) like a cigar and she's saying "you lookin' at me?"

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    She's screaming out for a fedora and shades.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you are certainly capable of sub 4:30 and that's a good target for your next marathon.

Big G - she is a big dog so I understand that she dragged you into the pub ;)   Lovely photo.
    I know you don't need reminding but your marathon suddenly seems very close :o  Good timing for new shoes.

SK - I'm sure Fixx was nothing like Saville.   Fixx is the guy that they say started the running (jogging as they say in the US) boom in the 70's and he's the guy that non runners love to tell you that he died of a heart attack when out running.  His father died very young and Fixx knew that he would die young too but running extended his life by quite a few years.
    We all have 3 stars now...what does that mean?   Suz - maybe 2 stars is cos you're new, I've been on RW forum since 2002!

Suz - that's exactly the right attitude to have re your marathon, just nurture yourself and avoid anything to aggravate your niggle/injury.   Great that you have 2 friends to do your 17 miler with, you can have a laugh and a natter and the miles will soon pass.

Heavy rain this morning, got soaked through, even had to take my socks off before going into my flat as my feet were so wet.   But had a great run as it's not cold.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Had a bit of drizzle in London - escaped the heavy rain fortunately. I didn't much feel like going out today but once I was out I felt quite good and enjoyed the run. I just did 4 miles since I'm doing my long run tomorrow (I'm marshalling on Sunday). Left knee was a little niggly at first, then the inside right ankle/calf thing niggled during the last mile. I need to get on top of my rolling.

My new Garmin calculates cadence and stride length, which I've found interesting. I knew my cadence was pretty good but the Garmin bears that out - I'm usually in the 170s for training runs and 180s for races, which is optimal. Unfortunately, I have a really short stride - less than a metre (around 0.9 although it was approaching a metre in the last two half marathons). I guess that's why I'm not as quick as a lot of runners.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it's fast approaching.  I really don't feel like I've done enough, but I can't change that now as I just did what I could.  I haven't done enough long runs....same old story ;)  There's over a week to go and I hope the weather improves.  I expect I'll be checking Milton Keynes weather forecast regularly over the next week on various sites, and choosing the one that looks the best :)    

Cal, regarding cadence etc, do you see this last year about Mo?  Really interesting I found, and I know I personally run nothing like that!  I have changed my running style since I first started running though, as I am more of a mid/fore-foot striker now.  But I know I don't lift my knees up enough and kind of shuffle a bit.   
    http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2016/08/mo-farah-running-in-slow-motion-running-technique-analysis-video/

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - a short stride is good, most runners overstride which is a waste of energy and not productive and can cause injury.   Short quick steps is the best so don't try and change anything.

Big G - I don't think there's a marathon where most of the runners on the start line think...'I wish I'd done more training'.
    Your race is on the Monday isn't it?  I know it's too early but one of my favoured website shoes it as being OK http://www.forecast.co.uk/milton-keynes.html

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it's a week on Monday. I'm driving up on the Sunday and I will probably jog or walk around the 3-mile course that afternoon, just to loosen the legs after the drive and to check the course out. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have a very low stride - not much knee left and my heels don't go very high behind - which is possibly due to years of sitting at a desk. If you watch elites run they have a lot more lift, on the whole. I think the only one I noticed running more like me was the first British lady in the London Marathon last year (I forget her name but she went to the Olympics). She made me feel a bit better about my running style. :D
    Big G, I'm sure it will be fine.
    I'm only a month out from Manchester myself...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    High knee lift is a waste of effort for us mortals in distance running :) Different for the elites.   

I have my first marathon of the year on the same day as you Cal at Manchester, I'm at Taunton which is a short drive for me :) 

Big G - that's a good idea to walk the lap course the day before, quite a long drive to MK
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah I often wonder if it's too taxing for us mere mortals to run the way that video shows.  For me though, when I do try and run that way it all does feel "easier" some how especially at 5K, but I soon revert to old ways.  I think the biggest, and easiest, thing for me to try and do is relax my shoulders.  That seems to help me quite a lot, but again if I don't concentrate on it I find my shoulders hunching up again.

I think I've said it before on here, but on one of my first sessions at the Trotters, Tommo (for those who don't know, he was the club's quickest runner by some way) lapped me on a 1K interval session and as he sailed by he just said "relax your shoulders, mate".  It's stuck with me for some reason, as it really helped and still does.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's much easier to pick the knees up when racing faster/shorter races, we all naturally run further on our forefoot, increase our cadence and lean with a better balance.   It's a different story in a marathon.
    One of my ex bosses was showing me the video clips of his cousin running his first marathon at Dublin, there was a clip of him running through Phoenix Park (about 5 miles) with good form, smiling.   Then the video clip of him in the last mile, a broken man, it was such a difference it really was funny.

Good advice from Tommo, I can imagine him saying it.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Big G: please give him the Fedora as Cal mentioned!  

Shades: hopefully you've dried off now? 

Managed a good tempo effort this morning with the dogs and Evelyn.  It's her official birthday and I seem to be quite emotional (never thought I would be!). 

We have family over this weekend so I may get out for a run on Sunday morning if I can escape. 
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff on cadence and stride length. When I went on a running technique course a couple of years ago with that kinetic revolution guy, he tried to get us to lift our legs up more, like track runners, rather than shuffling. There's a speedy girl at my club who has a fairly big stride as she's so supple and she really lifts her legs too. When I did London in around the same time as Kelly Holmes, I noticed that my cadence was more than hers but her stride was a lot longer (I saw her data on Garmin Connect) probably due to the track background.

Cal - I think your thinking of Aly Dixon - she has a fairly longish stride but is quite short so does look more shuffley than say Paula Radcliffe.

12 miles this morning in the rain, but one of those runs which felt nice and comfortable.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    PS - can you guess the book day character for son 3... :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Is it Warhorse?

More to the point, I'm presuming that's your back garden... ;) 
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Yes!!!
    It's the park next to his school, our estate is much bigger.  ;)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SK - :lol:
    Brilliant! And yes, I did mean Aly Dixon. I guess I was watching her at the latter stages of the race - could be her stride was a bit better earlier on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I hope Evelyn enjoyed her first birthday.

SK - it's always impressive to see how elite runners pick up their heels and it will improve form too.   Apparently you mustn't push off with the foot to achieve leg lift but use your muscles to lift the foot higher, it's very hard to run and try and concentrate on technique :#
    That's an amazing costume, I've no idea who it's supposed to be though :/   I am impressed by your back garden too ;)

Cal - I think Aly Dixon always runs like that with a low leg lift and slightly odd hip action.

Nice sunny morning here but chilly in the shade, did my lake run.   All well at the lake, the mandarins are nesting, the 4 goosander are still there and saw the grebe too.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Morning folks.  Hope you're well. Had a really good week as far as training goes.  Did a MWLR on Thursday where I ran the middle 6 miles at projected MP (6:12/mile) which felt good but I had to push fairly hard.. Did manage to squeeze in a cheeky super fast mile 5:40 but not sure if want to have to push that hard for more than one mile.  Glad to be getting my speed back after the ultra training.  Long run planned for Monday once I've dropped LO at school. Have a good weekend running.. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Parkrun this morning, on the flat and potentially fast course.   I saw on their Facebook page that due to the waterlogged pitch, they were going to change the course and do 3-laps around the tarmac cycle track (instead of the usual two laps) with just around half a mile up and down a gravel path at the end.  With this in mind, I thought I'd give it a crack as it would be faster than their usual route.

Anyway, I managed 20:58 (watch time, so will have to wait for official time), which is the first time I've gone under 21mins for ages, so I'm happy enough with that.  With warm up and cool down it was a total of 6-miles.  My mile splits tell their own story though; 6:22, 6:47 and 6:57.....hmmm.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they used this course all the time but I know others like the muddy field so can't please everyone!