Overdone it?

Comments

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm marathon effort'ing Warwick Lou. What are you aiming for ?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Morning all. Have those stars on both threads now, so goodness knows.

muds ive tried doubles a few ways. But always the same sentiments of 4-5hours gap.

hard/longest morning with a short one midday feels good now. You get the main one done. So if anything crops up you can delay the shortie to the evening, ot even bin off.

i can still remember the other way round. Pootle lunch, then main sesh evening. While the midday run can aid the later one (moz used to have me doing a lunchtime run before am evening 5k race! It took exceptional "wanting it" skills to leave work on a cold Friday to go and do a hard track sesh solo.

i wouldn't fancy the early and late approach as id worry the late one would eat into the next days run.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just need to ensure you refuel early after the morning run,for the sake of anyone you work with ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

why have only sg and mcf got stars....they really could do with some sort of help page if they are going to introduce so many seemingly random quirks!

I am debating my options next 2 days. I plan to do 3 miles with strides either this evening or 9am tomorrow morning, with my half 11am sunday. Does it really matter when I do it. I just note it will be hammering down all day today but will be pleasant tomorrow. Also my legs are slightly heavy from last nights intervals.

• The only concession I'm making to Sunday being a race is doing some strides as part of my 6 on Saturday and the first 3 miles of my run on Sunday will have some strides in it too.

I couldn't give one about the stars but am surprised Lady Literatin has not been along to enlighten us all - she knows everything.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    It's because Stevie and I are special. 

Nope, no idea why. 
  • I'm marathon effort'ing Warwick Lou. What are you aiming for ?
    Marathon pace for me Muddy - 6:40.
    If I ran by effort I think I'd be looking at about 1:45 at the moment.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, I am not making any concession in that based on my schedule the only session I have left to do this week is 15 at mp plus 15. The 3 or so with strides was more to prime me a bit for sunday.
  • DT - I'm following Skinny's approach of just training through, but will taper the volume to 6 today, 4 tomorrow, (pre-parkrun marshalling if possible). For the Brass Monkey back in January I ran 4-ish the day before, and a couple of 5k trots Thurs, Fri all with strides.

Lou - I'll look out for you near the start. Any parking tips ? I've not done this one before. I think I'll see what comes out for the effort. Just looking back I've not done any mp effort in this training block due to the fall, but feel like I'm a bit shy of best fitness, so maybe around 6.15-6.20 min/mile pace will come out ?

Stevie - Interesting about the 5k jog before the 5k race. Remember that I ran a sub 17 5k and chalked it up as a short course ? I scarcely believed it was possible because I hadn't tapered and had done a 5k easy run in the morning before the afternoon race ... 

To achieve marathon mileage I'm finding doubles are the only way - still trying to aim for an approximate 30min/90 min split on the MLR days. I'm not too good at getting myself to work on time on the best of days with an hour of commute, never mind doing a 90 minute run beforehand so it tends to drop into the evening. It can take a bit more willpower to run at the end of the day so I try to head out directly from work so that the commute doesn't get in the way.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I rarely run twice in one day but today is one of those days that I will as I'll need to pick my car up from the garage which is 5-6 miles away. Didn't really feel like running back from dropping it off this morning; pouring rain, uphill all the way and slightly heavy legs from last nights intervals...

Final interval session before target half marathon in 10 days time. 5*1 mile off 2 minute jog recoveries. Felt pretty easy and was disciplined to keep them all between 6:27 and 6:31 pace. 

Bob joined us for 3 of the reps, was good to catch up with him. He seems to be getting back in to it nicely, hopefully he can get a decent block of uninterrupted training in.   

• Work is having a shower installed at some point this year, so I'm planning on doing a run commute 2 or 3 times a week. Only 4 miles each way but would likely extend the homeward leg some days. Hopefully this will bring a bit of much needed consistency to training.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

you don't need a shower if running easy...

Good session, Tommy. All bodes well for next Sunday. Hopefully things out of your control such as weather, wont interfere.

• Muddy - there is onsite parking at the racecourse.  Whether there is enough for 5000 runners, I don't know.  If you can't get in try the residential streets opposite.  Try to avoid the town center as it's expensive.
    Tommy - On Tuesday I did 4*1 mile at what should be T pace based on last years results - they came out at about 6:15-6:20.  Assuming I've made some progress since then I would like that to be HMP, but it certainly didn't feel like it.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Don't listen to DT,  Rich, he has his own office - I run easy, and have a shower.

Good to know Bob's getting on with it !

Cheers Lou. I did 4 x 1.3 mile hm effort on Tuesday too, and they came out well outside hm pb pace. It was a truly shitty night though, so that's my excuse. You can have use of it if you want.

• Tommy - On Tuesday I did 4*1 mile at what should be T pace based on last years results - they came out at about 6:15-6:20.  Assuming I've made some progress since then I would like that to be HMP, but it certainly didn't feel like it.
    That's close enough to my HM PB to have me searching for the results on Sunday!

Have good runs everybody!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

But remember, Lou is running it at MP so you can relax.

Yes being able to shut yourself away does help. However, I did 10 miles at lunchtime Tuesday and a quick dab down in the sink and some fine smelling deodorant and aftershave and I was all good.

• I've been tempted by the wet wipe/"shower in a can" combo. Might give it a go when I get back from my hols. Good luck everyone running this weekend. Look forward to catching up when I get back.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muds, that P&D marathon training that myself and Lit tweaked for her marathon campaigns didn't have many doubles at all.

But clearly the flip, is that if you're not doing doubles, you're doing some long singles!

• Stevie - Yeah I'm doing things like 4 plus 11 or 5 plus 9 as I've not often got the block of time for the P&D prescribed MLRs during the week. Figure it's better this way than running a single fast double digit run and needing more recovery.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You can but try it and see how it goes pal. As long as you're getting the huge runs in at the weekend, and it's clear you're still getting a second double digit run in a week, it's probably all good.

13-15 milers are a heavy gig for a mid week run I think. Especially a couple a week.

10 feels plenty on Wednesdays for me. Albeit without a marathon in mind.

• lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    fourteen is the longest I've done midweek.  I have to get the kids in bed first so it can be after 10:30 before I've finished.  Rather that than getting up at 4am though.
    Skinny - Coventry hm in two weeks is when you need to worry. ;p
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I have my own office and still need a shower. I quite like to do MLRs (which I sometimes do on the way to work, and add a bit to by running on the beach when I get there) but also quite like to boost mileage by doing a quick 4-miler in the morning on days when I have a track session in the evening. Anyway, I am in Paris and can't get the bastard forum to load, as well as being busy doing fun Parisian things, which is why I've not been on here much. I'm planning to run the half-marathon at 3-hour marathon pace, but have had a filthy cold so might just run it easy if it turns out I can't be bothered. It is going to piss with rain.
  • Good luck Lit - at least you're in Paris. I marshalled parkrun this morning, and had a little trot round afterwards but have a very sore throat, so not sure I'll get much useful information out of Warwick.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    That makes 4 visits to Lancaster and 5 pbs!  Details later :)
  • Well done Pete, have a gold star :star: !

I managed to fail to get an entry to Warwick (thought I had done it but missed the payment refused email) so will mosey over to Droitwich in the morning for an on the day entry there.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Pete.

Good luck, Lit, Lou and Muddy.

Id give the organiser a call first muddy, to see if they have places. I might have his number on an e mail.

As I lie in bed the rain is battering the Windows. Current forecast is dry for race though but windy. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    tough morning, 1.26.33 on watch. Gutted when I turned up to find 4 c clubmates all faster than me. However they also fpund it tough and managed 3rd from club. Just awaiting presentation for county champs now. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hope all goes/has gone well for today's half marathon runners.  Meanwhile, here is a little flesh on yesterday's bones.

3-1-5 Lancaster 10k (and 5k)

MsPete has stuck at the running and fancied another  5k.  As all the local parkruns have brutal hills, I recommended a trip to Lancaster, where I could start the 10k at the same time. 

The weather was kind to us: a fine, mild morning with just a light breeze as we did our separate warm-ups alongside the lovely Lune.  There seemed to be more runners than last time I was here but I cheekily positioned myself on the second row at the start.  The race is not chip-timed so you have to be brazen if you are chasing a fast time.

I was swiftly passed by a few people, including Kate, who had inadvertently paced me for the first 5k last time I was here.  I thought about sticking with her again but, having started a little faster than I intended, I let her go and eased back slightly.  Later I was passed by another Red Rose woman (turned out to be called Jill) and latched on to her.  Garmin told me 4:19, 4:28 and 4:29 for the first three km.  However, I was conscious that my watch had been over-optimistic about my pace last time so when Jill seemed to be slowing a little, I pushed on and overtook her.  

I was now running on my own and it began to feel hard work, particularly for the old hip flexors.  Had I gone out too fast?  Were my legs still feeling the Lostock 6 race from last Sunday?  Should I stop at the halfway point and encourage MsPete as she approached the 5k finish?  Somehow I carried on through this period of self-doubt, perhaps buoyed by the fact that I was catching a tiring Kate.  When my watch indicated 5k about 50m too soon, it also showed an average pace of 4:25 so I figured I had a good margin for error and also that Kate was on for a pb.

She forked off to the 5k finish and I rounded the cones to start my second lap.  This was a case of grinding it out as a lone time trial without letting my pace drop too much and I don’t remember a lot about it.  I did manage to give a thumbs-up to MsPete as we ran past each other in opposite directions.  When my watch said 8k done, I started to push a bit harder again but regretted not having a “Brian” to race against.   Watch beeped for 10k; average pace said 4:26 but still got about  100m left.  Chucked everything at it and later worked out that I did this bit at 3:56 pace.

Provisional result: 44:46, seventh, out of 43, overall and first V60 (S. African Sauvignon Blanc).  I’ll have that!!  Finally reached the sub-45 goal I had set myself when I joined this forum.  Perhaps I should retire now  ;)

Once I’d recovered, I went to find MsPete, who had knocked 1:18 off her 5k pb so an excellent morning's work from the Hewitfearns :)

Cross-post:  It's the tough races that make you stronger, DT and if you beat two clubmates who are normally quicker than you then that's got to be considered a good effort.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ooh, well done Pete! That's excellent, especially with no Brian. Well done too to DT, especially with the shitty weather.

Meanwhile, I did an extremely sensible1:28:44 at Paris. I think I've lost a bit of fitness but more conditioning, as my legs were feeling more tired than the rest of me. However, my achilles felt fine so that's a win. Now off to do something cultural since I'm here anyway (Galeries Lafayette yesterday doesn't count).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Pete. Ive only read the headline stuff as still not home. 

Good restraint, Lit. Sounds positive going forward. 

I was with overall. I hung around with my other club mates for the awards but they couldn't do team ones (which we are almost certainly gold) so came away disappointed. 

I did pick up muddys m40 bronze though. I'm still dubious as to his Worcestershire qualification, beyond the fact his club is affiliated to Worcestershire.....