Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Smudge! Does the NY work on a ballot like London? Not that I currently have any intention of running another marathon again!

Instead of running I did a spin class last night, I just couldn't face going out in the wind and cold in the dark after a stressful day but at least it got my legs moving for an hour. 
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    *** Saturday Night Meal ***
    So far we have 16 runners, friends and family confirmed.
    Eggy
    Running Rodent
    Kenno and co
    Nells and Mr Nells
    Hatton2009
    Katey and her entourage
    Dean Lucas
    Pistol101
    Maccatheknacca

Anyone else wanting to join us?
  • Options
    Hi, quick question about the medical certificate, does anyone know how to get one signed? My doctor is refusing to look at it..
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Smudger I got a similar email this morning! Still in shock as not in a fit condition to run anything. Am still considering whether I can afford it! For the moment though list fairy can you put me on for NY marathon 5th November 
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Hi, quick question about the medical certificate, does anyone know how to get one signed? My doctor is refusing to look at it..
    Lots of the doctors charge for signing it as they see it as a private product. My own doctor didn't refuse he just made me book a different appointment outside of their normal hours. Did they say why they were refusing? 
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Eggy don't forget my +1!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Pistol101 - Well spotted, +1 added.

Wozzamills - Getting the medical certificate signed seems to cause an issue for a few people each year. My GP signs it without even seeing me. Others have to pay, some get told they have to go through a full medical before the GP will sign it, and occasionally you get a GP that just refuses to sign it.

It's not ideal, but I know in previous years some people who have been stuck have just bought an address stamp and stamped and signed it themselves. They don't really pay any great deal of attention to the form at the expo. They just check it's the right form and that it's stamped and signed.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'll be using the certificate that my doctor signed last year with a modified date. My wife used a fake one last year. No issues at all. 

You can can download images from the web that look like stamps. 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    My surgery probably won't sign it. Once you download an image that looks like a stamp, how do you use it to stamp the document? I'm hoping my diabetic consultant will sign it as I have a review at the end of March and he is really helpful with stuff. I'm worried he won't have a stamp though.
  • Options
    Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    Eggy - can you put me down for the Sat please. Cheers
  • Options
    Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    List Fairy - please can you but me down for the Thanet 20 this Sunday 5th March. Thanks..  It's one of the only races I walk to the start from my house.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Not a problem Bandito!

*** Saturday Night Meal ***
    So far we have 25 runners, friends and family confirmed.
    Eggy
    Running Rodent
    Kenno and co
    Nells and Mr Nells
    Hatton2009
    Katey and her entourage
    Dean Lucas
    Pistol101 +1
    Maccatheknacca
    Bandito
    Abi and crew
    KB +1

Anyone else wanting to join us?
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    My GP was going to charge £135 for the certificate as he had not seen me for over two years. I walked in, he took my blood pressure, looked me up and down and signed it, charged me £35. This was last year before I became injured! 
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bear in mind that the wording on the form is 'I....Doctor of Medicine....'. It doesn't have to be your GP, or a GP at all. If you have any friends who are doctors and are prepared to sign it and stamp it, that's fine. I've heard of people having theirs signed by a psychiatrist. (Although, on reflection, a psychiatrist might have reservations about anyone running a marathon...).

Another approach is to make another appointment for something totally non running related (e.g. tetanus shots or something), and just as you leave, casually mention 'while I'm here...'.

Incidentally, the med cert gives you no kind of insurance or liability cover. It's a French government requirement - the race organisers have to demand that everyone has one.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Wozzamills I had the same problem when I did Paris a few years back.I went down the route of buying a stamp.I may still have it,most years I've stamped a few and posted them on to others,if I have the stamp I could do the same for you.

TB02 I wasn't as lucky as you in the ballot.I too couldn't afford it this year due to florida holiday in October.My plan was to defer to next year.You would lose this year's fee and need to pay again next year but the way I see it is its still considerably cheaper than paying over inflated prices of tour companies.Ballots and me don't go,1 success in about 15,the great north run this year.

• Options
    TBO2 said:
    Smudger I got a similar email this morning! Still in shock as not in a fit condition to run anything. Am still considering whether I can afford it! For the moment though list fairy can you put me on for NY marathon 5th November 
    Wow congrats TBO2! Mine was a no unfortunately-but given that I had no idea how I could afford it, then that is probably a good thing! 
  • Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Eggy - Can you put me down as coming to the meal with 2 friends and a maybe.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Will do Lloyd.
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    hi thanks guys-its nice to get congrats, I'm still in a state of shock as I have never managed to get a ballot place for anything. Am waiting now until I see physio and hope I am not too damaged!! Eggy its great to hear you talking about the get together in Paris, it was the best thing about the marathon to meet you all, good luck with it
  • Options
    Eggy, Saturday night meal. 
    Me and the Mr.Plus1
    taaa
  • Options
    Hi Eggy - thanks for organising the dinner, please can you put me down plus one supporter. It will be so nice to meet everyone

• Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Feeling a bit gutted as had been planning to do my first half marathon today. It's only down the road in my home town, along my regular running route. I hadn't entered as I was planning to enter on the day (as we had been looking at going away).

Started feeling a bit queasy after dinner last night, have subsequently thrown up all my dinner and can't even keep water down still. I was going to try and run still but my husband has convinced me that it is stupid to try and run my first half when I can't even keep a glass of water down, especially as I haven't actually paid.

I'm worried now that firstly I've missed a long run and secondly what happens if this happens in Paris? I'm concerned that it was nerves last night that started me throwing up and now I can't seem to stop. This can't be normal?
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    It might be nerves Katey, but I think it's more likely a bug you've caught. If you can't keep water down then I think that is probably the case. 

Dont beat yourself up. It was the right thing not to run. 

There are still 5 weeks to go. If you are doing a 2 week taper (in my experience 3 is too much) you've still got 3 more long runs in you. Focus on getting them in. If you can, plan those weekends now so you know what's going on and when you can do them and how far. 

You can do this!
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Kathy don't worry, you need to look after yourself first. You have been running consistently so even if you miss this you will get back to it. We all have nerves before races but try and focus on the reasons you want to do it-is it for a charity? I am always worried about what will happen but I always run for one charity which is close to my heart and thinking about that gets me through. Take care of yourself and rest up a bit.
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Katey the spellcheck changed it!
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks, lying in bed feeling sick and miserable knowing that 4km away the half has just started.

I had planned to do 18 miles next weekend, have a half booked in for the weekend after and then was going to go for 20 miles the week after that as my last long run. 

Still not faced having any water since last lot came back up but head still worrying it's nerves that has done this and thinking what if this was Paris weekend.
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Not doing it for charity although been toying with the idea as there is a charity that is important to me. I just get so many people ask me for sponsorship this time of year I worry people get fed up with it and don't like to ask.

This was something I very much wanted to do for me.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I really think you've got some bug Katey. If it was nerves I think you'd have no problem with water. 
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    i agree with Kenno. Just focus on rest and being able to drink and then think about running later-the priority is to get better now
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Natty & Pancake - I'll add you to the list.

Katey - Sorry to hear you're poorly. It's always annoying when something like that happens just before a race. Rest and recovery is what you need now. There will be other halfs you can run.