VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Look forward to hearing how those of you doing Silverstone went.

As far as what to listen to - I like listening to MarathonTalk podcast, but tend to listen in the car rather than when running. On rare occassions I run with music I'll listen to all sorts of stuff. This morning for example I did a 12km out and back with Rachmaninov 2nd Piano concerto on the way out and Elgars Cello concerto on the way back. After the cello concerto Spotify forwarded onto some more stuff and I ended up finishing to Pomp and Circumstance marches and getting all patriotic with Land of Hope and Glory which really helped me visualise running past Westminster and past Buckingham palace onto The Mall!

Saturday morning I was up ludicrously early again (4am start) for my 32km run. Temperature was down nice and cool (below 20C for the first time this year) and as a consequence the run felt really really easy. I got a bit carried away in the last 5km and ran them at BQ pace...waaaaaay faster than target marathon pace!

Biggest week of the year done (85km) - and I feel great. Really looking forward to this with eagerness! :)
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm back from the Silverstone HM. Overall it went well, my time (not official) was 2:27 - a PB, but my Garmin said 13.45 miles! Not sure where the extra came from.

Harmander - I started just behind you but it felt like you started faster than I wanted to so I let you go; I did manage to overtake you around mile 9.

I also dropped a gel, so I drank the lucosade instead, not my preferrred option but it was fine.

I thought the water provision was a bit meagre, 3 x 250ml bottles isn't enough for me and no water between 2.5 + 7.5 miles isn't great either, o I'm glad the lucosade was there really.
  • edited March 2017
    What a great event Silverstone is!

My plan was to run 8min/miles, which is my target pace for VLM (and would deliver a 30 min pb).... however, I met a fellow pirate, and he set off at a vicious pace. Being of little brain, I stuck with him, until, at mile 7 or so when I was feeling great, and dropped him. Whoops!

Anyway, having gone that far, it seemed daft to slow down, so I slogged on... having to dig pretty deep for the last couple of miles.

Result was a 1:35... a new half PB for me. Even more amazing to me, as I also ran a 19:55 parkrun yesterday (expecting it not to be an issue as i'd planned to be doing a slow half today), which is the first time I've cracked the 20 min barrier too!....

So my weekend has been a 5k and half mara PB, which still has my head spinning a bit!

As I said at the beginning, Silverstone is a great event.... and I suspect I'll be doing it again!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Well done MikeSmith (and Magna Carter et al).
    Yes I did the first mile about a minute faster than planned - partly deliberate to get past the congestion and then adjusted over the next couple of miles.
    By mile nine I was spot on and with the instruction to finish in 2:29:00 I came in at:

02:28:41
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    Pretty impressive timing Harmander.  Although I wasn't in your group much, you gave me something to aim for for the majority of the run, so thanks for the time you put into this.
  • Always a pleasure Mike
  • Great to meet you yesterday Harmander and thanks for the advice on the start pens, hope to see you again in London!
  • Wow! Well done everyone at Silverstone. Great to see all these PBs
  • KingaKinga ✭✭

Gutted to have missed Silverstone yesterday (poor planning on my part!!) so took myself off on a half of my own with the aim to run approaching a PB (from admittedly few attempts), got into a good rhythm and still felt good up the final hill to finish in 1:44, shaved a couple of minutes off PB and still enough in the tank to carry on past the HM point to the top of the hill (figured I'd got to walk up it anyway!!)

It all leaves me in such a quandary for VLM pacing though as suggests sub 4hrs is achievable but my longest run told me it wasn't (fine up to about 16 miles). Could well be as simple as hydration/nutrition so I guess I'll find out over the next few long runs, starting this weekend at a 20 mile (reportedly hilly) race!!

Of course pace may be taken out of my hands entirely on the day dependant on starting pen and resultant traffic so I'm happy to take whatever happens on the day and be proud of the achievement cos the liklihood is I won't be doing that distance ever again LOL

• Likewise Jonathan - what time did you finish in?
  • Likewise Jonathan - what time did you finish in?
    2hrs 9 mins so was really pleased, felt good and had plenty left in the tank so given me a big confidence boost.

In the same quandry as Kinga now, dilemma of knowing I should probably aim higher than 5 hrs but equally want to enjoy the day.

I guess you have to figure out why you are really running it!  
  • A reasonable week's running for me.  Got out on 2 running club sessions in the week.  Then took another 14 seconds off my parkrun time on Saturday - not a PB but the best time since I got the VLM place a year and a half ago.  Then out with a running club colleague yesterday.  Only did 8k but managed to run it all non-stop so managing to cope a bit better with the anxiety.  Maybe not doing much in terms of increasing distance but hoping I still might manage a bit more there in the time remaining.  Would be nice to have a bit more time available now that things are moving in the right direction but can only use what time there is.
  • Jonathan,
    here is the good news - according to the rules of thumb AND the prediction formula i posted earlier your 2:08:51 time suggests a faster than 4:33 finish - this obviously assumes that your training continues uninterrupted and you remain motivated. - for assurance, when I did 4:29:52 in Toronto two years ago I was at halfway in 2:07:45
    and when I did Chicago in 4:28:59 I was at halfway in 2:07:27
    I predict that you will beat 4:30
  • Sounds like everyone had a good weeekend at Silverstone? Well done all :) 

Retford 1/2 was excellently organised as always - a great small half if your local! I was running with a friend and she wanted a PB under 2.04. My plan was to run an even race but she took off like a rabbit and her pacing was all over the place. By mile 8 she was struggling and really had to dig in to carry on over the last few miles (which include a slightly nasty hill at 12.5 miles). I was so proud of her - we came in just under 2! But the last few miles were really long and painful for me as I was running so slowly. Found it such hard work but there was no way I was going to leave her. 

Overall it reminded me the the importance of pacing evenly and gave me a confidence boost - I'm fitter than I thought...getting close to 4 maybe more achievable than I thought - but who knows!

Have a great week all :) 
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    PGI - well done for getting out and doing what you can. Hopefully you'll be able to get more in over the next few weeks.

And well done to all on the runs & pb's over the weekend. I like that this is a mixed ability thread, hearing about the speedy times is good inspiration!
  • quite agree about the mixed ability thread being great... the best bit for me is that I was the person looking at the faster times 2 or 3 years ago, and thinking that it would never be me.... and now I am heading towards being one of the quicker ones, albeit still some way behind the REALLY quick folk... still astounds and surprises me quite frankly!

What I can say is never ever ever let the dream die... I have just turned 49, and am still steadily getting quicker... you are only constrained by how much you believe in yourself.... keep trying!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Wow sounds like you all had a cracking weekend of running. I done my longest ever run which was 16 miles in 2 hours 29 mins with a average pace of 9.18 min miles. 

Slight pain in my ankle but this was due to the uneven pavement which I should of not run on. Going to have a few days rest as like everyone has said you need to listen to your body. I'm not going to loose nothing by missing midweek miles 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I realise there's 2 schools of thought on this, but I always like to get in a training run of full distance (26.2) towards the end of a training period for spring marathons. Yes, there's an injury risk, and it's v. tiring, but it gives me a big psychological boost to know that I can do the distance. I might have run a marathon last year, but standing on the start line it's always good to know I did one a month ago.

26.3 miles on Sunday, up hill and over dale (training for Boston as well as London), great run, especially since I had a back niggle a few weeks ago and lost a couple of weeks, feels like I'm ready. First time at Boston, so don't know quite what to expect, but London will be a bit of a shuffle round on tired legs for me this year. In a funny way, I'm looking forward to not worrying about time and just looking around and taking it all in, high-fiving the kids at the side of the road, etc.

Alloa half-marathon this weekend - heading over en-masse with my running club, planning to run it as about 90% - won't be a PB, but should still get the training benefits of a good race without killing myself and leaving my legs knackered. One more long run the following weekend and then taper and paranoia to look forward to.

Like Magna Carter, I find the guys at the front at London just amazing - on a good year, I'll be at around 14 miles when they come past going the other way on the other side of The Highway at 22 miles, and knowing how much effort I'm putting in and seeing just how far ahead of me they are, and how easy they make it look, really shows the level these guys are at. I never know whether to feel completely awed to be running with them or completely demoralised at knowing they'll be tucking into their recovery shakes (or Quorn?) before I even get to Canary Wharf. Or both. I like to think of myself as an ok runner, but I couldn't run 200 yards at their pace, never mind 26.2 miles.

Well done everyone for getting to this point - I read a stat once which said that about 70-something % of people with places start at London (i.e.- 30% don't make it to the start line), but over 99% of those who start finish. So as long as you can get to the start line in good shape, the numbers suggest we'll all be ok. At this stage, there's still a few long runs to do and there's still a few weeks before tapering, but the biggest risk is injury. An injury now doesn't really leave much time to recover and even if it does recover, there's a loss in training which you'll feel on the day. The next couple of weeks are the most important of all - don't want to sound patronising, but to all first-timers, you've worked so hard to get to this point, just be very careful over the next couple of weeks to avoid hurting yourself - listen to your body and make sure you're part of the 70%, not the 30%.

It's not long now.............
  • Less than 1000 hours Rodeoflip.
    Great summary and message.
    You are going to love Boston
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Yeah great, thanks for that Harmander, needed the reminder! . ;) Just glad to be up and running again (literally) - a few weeks ago I was really struggling with my back, a combination of trampolining with kids and overtraining, and I was getting really depressed at the thought of not being able to run. Been reading up on Boston, so much history and you can see what it means to so many people. A bit of hill training recently now has me fairly happy with hills, in fact in some ways I welcome the change in muscle group usage that hills provide - different muscles used on the ups than the downs. I'm not expecting London-type crowds at Boston (I can't imagine a better race for crowd support than London) but really looking forward to it. The downhills, the girls at Wellesley, Heartbreak hill, the run into downtown, all of it - can't wait!

It seems nuts to run London 6 days later, but I just can't stand then idea of the London marathon happening without taking part in it. London was my first marathon and I've been lucky enough to run it for the last five years, it is a very special race for me. I might be hobbling my way around it, but I'll be there.
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Feel quite inspired after that post Rodeo. Thanks for that :-). Training is going well at the moment. Done a step down to 12 at the weekend and felt really comfortable doing that. Up to 18 for my long run on Friday. I've been using a foam roller recently just to stretch out the muscles. Anyone got any good tips on the best way to use them? 
  • Rodeoflip,
    Stay on the right side of the route at Wellesley for the ladies. 

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone, all sounds very positive. 12 miles for me on Sunday. Nice and comfortable plod and feeling good about things. I am, however, adopting a "get round without passing out or chucking up" strategy, get the medal and never think about this stupid marathon thing ever again. I'm pretty sure my finish time will start with a 5 (possibly even a 6!), so I'll be a bit behind you Harmander, but if you could go off and get me a cup of tea and a slice of cake ready at the finish that would be great. Brentwood HM this weekend, good test to see where I am - 2:45 ish would be ideal.
  • KieranG,
    Have faith my man.
    Fauja Singh used to have someone with a cup of hot steaming tea and rich tea biscuits after 21 miles in each of the six Londons, two Toronto and the New York marathons he ran.
    Brentwood is a good easy run - apart from the last mile. You will enjoy it.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    There are a few videos on YouTube showing how to use a foam roller. Main thing is that it's not like a sports massage, where you would roll over it fairly quickly. You start at your ankles and work very slowly up, if you find any sore points in the muscles then you would sort of linger there to release any knots. Keep going until you reach the hips. Front, back, both sides of legs. If doing your back, don't lie straight on the roller so it's pressing on your spine, lie just off to one side so it's pushing against the muscles mat the side of the spine.

Rossi71 - wait until you're running during the London marathon if you're looking for inspiration. There are a few points along the route where it's overwhelming - Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge, Canary Wharf and the Embankment. For anyone who's done London before, just visualising these areas brings back memories. I used to live in rural Cumbria, and most of my long runs were done on my own on little back roads, often covered in ice, always covered in cowshit, and hardly ever seeing anyone else. When I was finding it hard going, I just had to remember what I was training for and visualise running down the Embankment on the day, and it always made me smile.

KieranG - you know this "stupid marathon, never doing it again, why on earth did I want to do this" feeling? I had that at the end of my first London marathon. I'd done it, got the medal, proved to myself I could do it, but I was never putting myself through that again. This lasted about three days (as did the DOMS), then I started thinking "well, there were some bits I enjoyed" and by a week later I knew I'd be back, only better trained and knowing what to expect second time around. And here I am now, waxing lyrical about the joys of the London marathon. If it was easy, anyone could do it and it wouldn't count for anything. It's the fact that you've had to work so hard in training and really push yourself that makes it all worthwhile. It is a huge achievement to finish a marathon, partly because of the effort on the day but more because of all the work that goes into getting to the start line. Your finish time is just a number, but in a few weeks' time you'll know how it feels to be a marathon runner, and to run in one of the best races in the world. It's hard work right now, but chin up, it will be well worth it.
  • Morning all, haven't posted for a while. It's good reading about all of your half marathon experiences and also good to see that training is going well for the most part.

Silverstone is a bit of a trek for me to get to so I decided to do a half a bit closer to home. It was the first half marathon I had ever done and also only the 2nd time I had continuously run over 13 miles! Anyway, I ran pretty consistent mile splits (8mins/mile) and finished with a chip time of 1:45:00 exactly - very pleased with that!

I didn't go for my planned Tuesday night easy run, I am trying to listen to my body (legs still a bit sore and have a blood blister on tip of my toe!) - will see how I feel tonight.

How is everyone else recovering?
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Rodeo that does sound pretty amazing. Countdown is well and truly on. Got a 9 miler tonight after work on quite a hilly course so looking forward to that. Just another quick question. If I miss a training run here or there before the marathon it shouldn't affect my performance too much as long as I'm still doing my long runs? Is that the case? 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Missing one or two runs won't make any difference at all. Marathon training is all about the cumulative effect of a structured training plan, and an individual run on its own doesn't really matter. Especially if you manage to get all your long runs in. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Much worse to try and "claw back" those miles somehow, that way leads to the dark side (or at least, to fatigue and increased risk of injury)
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Not been here for a few days so well done all on Silverstone and weekend runs!  I dropped back to 14. Nice and steady. We're up in Dallas this week so I found a nice track around a lake and did 10 yesterday. One of the miles even began with an 8!!
  • Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum. I'm running my first ever marathon at VLM next month (eek!) The panicks are seriously setting in now.

I've posted on the gear thread a question about my trainers and some issues I'm having. But thought I'd throw the question out here too just in case anyone can help.

I did the Silverstone half on Sunday and had to stop at mile 9 to readjust my trainers as they felt so uncomfortable (burning feeling in my toes/balls of my feet as if they're too tight...when I loosen them though I feel like my heels will slip out). I've had to do this on my long runs as well. I really don't want to have to do this on marathon day.

Is it too late to change my trainers? Or should I persevere?