Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Glad you posted that as I'm pretty sure the lack of strength issue is what's causing my cramps.Need to get back into my exercises again as they pretty much stopped when I was ill and not really got going again.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes still a full time athlete :D I was offered a new role but turned it down, as too far to commute and also wasn't what I was looking for, so didn't want to take it knowing that I would end up looking for something else after a couple of months.

SK - Thanks, I feel as though I'm in good shape, but know what happened in Berlin during that last 10k, hence being reluctant to go out too hard. However I know that going out to slow will hurt me as I'd have to pick up the pace massively in the second half, so going to head out at 3:10 pace (like Berlin) and see what happens on the day.

Another track session today, with 5*600m with reps of 2:04/2:07/2:10/2:07/2:07, happy with those after the weekend long run. It's basically taper time now for Manchester :/
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks.. Hope you're well.. 
    Big_G - well done on a fantastic result,  I bet you are still buzzing.. 

I had a day off today so as per usual I went out for my long run.  I did a very comfortable 20 miles and could of managed more but I was sensible.  The cherry on the cake for me is the fact I had loads of energy considering I havn't eaten in 24hr due to an angry tummy. Im still doing the low carb way of eating and Friday I got the proof it is working well.. 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    NickW2 - you don't need to remain as a lurker, you are very welcome here :)

Maybe I'll try and post more here too. I briefly did in the summer, but looking back (ooh I've just actually found a positive thing about the new forum, you can search for posts by a specific user within a thread) I've not posted here since June.

Brief update - I didn't run much last summer, about once a week and mostly easy runs, did a few parkruns in around 20:3x and in early October did my local hilly 10k in 45:47. Then decided to enter Manchester marathon to give myself something to work towards. Have been following a MyAsics plan aimed at going sub 3:30 off 3 runs a week, having done London last year in 3:59. I've stuck to the plan pretty well, missed the odd run here and there but not too many, also been playing squash twice a week. Training has gone very well so far, start of Feb did my local (hilly) half in 1:37:xx which I was both really pleased with and felt I could have done better as I paced it badly, three weeks ago did a parkrun in 19:30 which was a 44 second PB, very pleasing as paced it really consistently. This weekend just gone I did the same race as SK (Finchley 20) as my last long run, ran it as 5 easy, 10 MP, 5 easy, and it went very well, finishing in 2:37, "MP" section coming out at 7:35ish average, and I felt pretty strong at the end. So now into taper time and have just under 3 weeks to decide what my target MP should actually be. It will depend how I feel on the day really. Tempted to see how long I can stick with 3:15 pacer group for but not sure if that will result in a painful 2nd half.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I have eaten quite a lot of food today.  I went for an afternoon tea for two in Exeter and I've just had pie and chips from the chippy. Very nice too, but need to get back to normal eating tomorrow!

I'm about to head off to watch Torquay play Ian's team, Tranmere. I fear Tranmere are going to win. We'll soon see!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You deserved the blow-out, Big G. Good run report. I think running laps like that would have to be mentally tough. I did a half in Richmond Park that was four laps of the parkrun route and what seemed like a gentle incline on the first lap turned into Mount Eiger by lap 4. I'll be sticking to single loop races, I think.

Iain - I guess you're full converted to fat burning, eh? I do wonder how well I burn fat. I do eat plenty of carbs but since I do all my runs fasted, I guess I can't be bad at it. Two HM PBs (no breakfast and no gels) seems to indicate that's the case.

mamafox - Were I a wine person, that would certainly seem like an excellent incentive! Let's hope the foot holds up.

Shades, good article. I probably have horrible hip extension from all my desk sitting. Muscle pain was why I got in trouble at Manchester last year, rather than just running out of gas. Hope that doesn't happen again. :/

No running for me today - I did a first aid course. Just emergency first aid (basically CPR and not much else) but it was a freebie, courtesy of some folks from parkrun, and as the training I did when I was teaching lapsed in December, it seemed like an excellent opportunity.

I could have squeezed in a short run before but after a 13 miler, a rather painful massage (got my ITBs stripped and calves gouged) and a yoga class, I figured I should cut my legs some slack.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not as confidant as I was as our 2 best forwards are on the bench,looks like he's concentrating on the cup on saturday
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Cal - yeah I'm fully fat adapted.  It took me ages to get there but have been low carb <40g/day for 18 months and I'll remain so.. Love it. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Iain, would you be able to post your meals/snacks for a typical day/week?

Shades, thanks for that link. Parts of it seemed to describe my situation with the cramps perfectly (i.e., otherwise feeling pretty good, but then then cramps stopping me in my tracks) so I'll look into the stretches/exercises further. 

Ian, 0-0 in the end, but it was a good game. I think Torquay would have settled for that at the start. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - better get back to those exercises ;)

Steve - I don't think any job is worth a long commute.   You want a short commute with some WFH so work doesn't interfere with your training ;)
    I think you're right, you have to go out at 3:10 pace.

Iain - I think your preparation this year for London seems to be much better and you have got your fuelling right too.   Can I put you down as goal pace sub 2:45 on the list?

Nick - a 44 second PB at parkrun is a significant improvement, your training has gone well.   You should be on for a very good PB at Manchester, I shall add you to the list :) It's not easy to know what time to aim for in a marathon, a topic we discuss a lot on here.  I think 3:15 to 3:25 is a reasonable goal.

Big G - enjoy the food, you deserve it.  I laughed at the tea for two :D
    Just as well the football was a draw ;)

Cal - I agree, lap races can be tough.   I've only ever done one marathon PB on a multi lap course, and several PB's on 2 lap courses, there are a lot of marathons with 2 lap courses, but ideally I like a one lap course.
    Well done on the first aid course, hope you never need to use it.

My hilly rural run today, no floods and no lost sheep.   But on the narrow lanes there's an artic lorry that has obviously followed a car satnav, the driver was having to reverse into side roads to let cars pass and he clearly didn't know where he was going.   After I'd run past I could see that the lorry had brought a lot of branches down from the trees.   Then I nearly got run over again!   A car reversing out of his drive, but in fairness a tricky exit, I ran on and then the car pulled up alongside and the driver apologised in a very charming manner, so he's forgiven :)   Still have a bit of pain in the quad but less today and not affected by the hills.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles today, 9 at MP. (Actually the average was 10:03 even with the 10:43 warm-up mile). I was running comfortably so it felt like an easy enough run and I think I should be able to 10 minute mile most of Manchester. (Well, it's all a lottery after 20 miles). I'm pretty confident about going sub-4:30, anyway.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - I knew I could make big improvements in the longer distance stuff as I am still relatively new to running and was lacking in endurance last year, but the improvement in the 5k time was a big surprise. I have only run one parkrun this year as it doesn't fit very well with my training plan and Saturday mornings are often not great for me, which is why it was a big improvement in one go rather than over a number of weeks. Sounds like your quad is improving which is good news, glad you avoided being run over! Nice of the guy to apologise though.

I had a nice easy run last night, slower than 9 min miling pace (as per my plan), my right calf felt quite tight but did all my stretches afterwards and felt much better for it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I guess I should clarify - there was another person with me for my afternoon tea for two.  I didn't scoff the lot  :)

I had a look at my Tavy 13 time from last year, and I did 1:45:30, with my notes saying I did that at planned MP (more effort, than pace really due to the hills) although I had a fast couple of miles (7mins/miles, down hill) to get nearer the 1:45.  Unlike my marathon, the first half was slower then second - I had a 57/48 split.  No idea what I'll do this year, but hoping to just enjoy it.

Nick, some great running there, especially that parkrun time!

Shades, Cal - this was my second multi-lap course.  Previously I did one which was 7-laps, with Monday's being 9-laps and both were basically flat.  I actually preferred the 9-lap course, but that was because there were no sharp corners so it was easier to get into my stride, whereas the 7-lapper had a few sections with sharp corners, which if you misjudged you'd end up in the lake!  So although more laps, I preferred Monday's course.  For me, I liked being able to say "I have 3 more parkruns to go", as I know I can easily do a parkrun.  Also, I knew roughly where the half way point of each lap was, so it was always "Come on, only 1.5 miles to go until that point".  I also liked not having to run with any drinks etc, as the aid station was only ever 3 miles away.  So in some ways I found it better.  

But in other ways I found it harder - within 1 lap I was running on my own (I was in fourth and finished fourth, with no one running near me), but also was lapping people on my third lap (the winner lapped me on my 8th of nine laps).  Everyone was friendly - most knew I was on my last lap, and said "well done" when I passed them, etc, so because it was such a small race that was better in some ways.  I knew I would be on my own for the majority of it and I do most of my training on my own so that's not an issue necessarily, but generally I do prefer running with people as I can maintain a pace more easily.  Whatever, London will be a much different experience, and I am looking forward to that too!  If I do decide to go for a good time, it'll be interesting for me to compare the experiences.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Big G, the 20 miler I did on Sunday was 4 laps of 5 miles each, and I really liked it. There were 2 water stations so never far away like you said and after 1 lap you know exactly where they are, I've found taking a gel about every 5 miles works for me too which was ideal as I could take one just before a water station then wash it down. There were 381 finishers but never felt busy once it settled down after about half a mile. It sounds like your marathon was a nice friendly race, it is certainly harder running on your own, I don't imagine you will have that problem at London!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you're right to be confident of sub 4:30, I've never done a sub 2 half marathon but I've done 3 sub 4:30 marathons, so you're certainly capable.

Nick - it's a bonus to get a PB at a shorter distance when your training has been focussed on the longer stuff.   Watch that calf, I hate this coming into taper time and niggles here and there.

Big G - you did make it sound like you'd eaten all of the tea for two yourself!  
    That was a good time for Tavy 13 last year.   I understand the last 5 miles are flat/downhill so that would explain your negative split perhaps.   I just want to enjoy the race and it will give a bit of DD hill training too.

I think it's harder in the latter stages of a multi lap course as you can't always be sure if you lap someone if they are still ahead of you time wise.   Whereas in a road marathon I love that moment in the latter stages when you can see someone ahead and know that if you put your mind to it you can catch and pass them, that really keeps me focussed.   There are advantages in the lap races for grabbing additional kit etc, or getting rid of it if it's warm but I never carry a drink anyway.
    London will certainly be different, but I think as the other runners around you will be trying to get their own PB's they will hopefully carry you along too in the last few miles.

Right off to update the list.   I was due to do an ultra on the 25th March, I hadn't put it on the list as I'd only really started it for the Manchester list.   Unfortunately my ultra has been cancelled by the race organiser and our entries are being carried over to next year, still an extra week's training will not be wasted and I may do a Hadd test as haven't done one for a while.

Manchester runners, if you're happy for others to track you on race day please let us know your race numbers. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List - please add/amend - sorry for any errors/omissions

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17 

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - Goal C - PB (and course PB) - beat 4:44:37. Goal B - sub 4:30. Goal A (unlikely, but you never know, I have been running well) - sub 4:15. Bonus goal - get around without any walk breaks. tired_face
    Ian5 - C-3:59:13(PB)  B-3:54;16 ;-) and A-3:45,would need wind behind me all the way.
    Steve - would like sub 3:10, but would be happy with sub 3:15 tbh
    NickW2 - Goal A - 3:15
    Taunton
    Shades

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82
    Rotterdam
    Emmy
    Brighton
    Louey

23rd April
    London
    Big G
    Iain Love - sub 2:45?
    Slowkoala
    Southampton
    Jugula

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G
    Shades

1st May
    Belfast
    Shades

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye
    mamafox - Goal - to win the wine

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades

27th May
    Kent
    Shades

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal
    Dorchester
    Shades
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sounds like we didn't do enough to win,looks like play offs it is.
    My number 10789,hopefully that's not my finishing position.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - a typical day starts off with a bulletproof coffee (coffee blended with butter from grass fed cows and mct oil) then mid morning I'll have 4 scrambled eggs with lots of cheese and butter and some bacon. Sometimes I'll have full fat yogurt with nuts and berries. Lunch is mostly leftovers from the night before and then dinner would be something that I'd find on diet doctor or ditch the carbs websites.. Snacks tend to be nuts or cheese and sometimes pork scratchings. The key is to keep it as real as possible. Something you grandmother would cook.  Lots of green leafy veg and plenty of water.  The options are endless once you have got used to it. 

Shades - sub 2:45 seems quite a challenge but I'm Definately feeling like it's possible. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, 

Big G: loved your report!! I blame those trotters... They seem to be good at telling foxy little things!  

Nick: welcome back! 

Shades: how are you doing?  

I went out for my LSR today. 29km done and I struggled with the first few km but seemed OK. We've been blessed with glorious weather at the moment so I've spent the afternoon in the garden. 
  • Options
    Hi All.

What a beatiful spring day! Definately not one for sitting in the office :-1: Went out for a short run this morning, I actually rested from running after my 20 miles at the weekend to recover and just cross trained in the gym but actually today I felt great and felt like I wanted to speed up on my run which is the first time in a while since I had all my injuries!
    Shades - with my marathon target it is really just to finish! As this is my first one and also where I still feel I am being careful with my pace after my injuries I'm not aiming for a time now - just to finish although secretly just hoping it will be under 5 hours! I did my 20 miles in 3 hours 17 and that was with a few short walk breaks along the way whilst I took my gels and fuelled but who knows what those last 6 miles will do to my pace!
    I also wondered what you now thought about my taper down - I was thinking the below for my 'longer' runs unless you had any other advice?
    w/e 18 march - Brentwood HM
    w/e 25 march - 10 miles
    w/e 01 April - just a short run - 10k maybe?
    9th April - Paris marathon

thanks
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Suzi - if you can do 20 miles in 3:17, then you could walk the last 6 and still get under 5!

Iain - I've heard a lot about that coffee with butter, what does it taster like? You should get yourself down to Lidl as they have lots of bags of beef jerky snacks, yum!

Nick - didn't realise that you were at the F20 too! It's a really well organised race, isn't it and the marshals were so enthusiastic (although that might have been because I was running with 2 runners from Hillingdon, the club who run it!) I got a bronze medal for being 3rd lady from Middlesex (apparently they were using it for the Middlesex and Herts counts champs). I saw Louey at the end and she had a good race.

Legs seem to have recovered OK. Did 6 miles last night and then 10 in the sun today, with a short sleeved top! Time to ditch the tights but my legs are very white.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good job, Suz - that's quicker than me!
    Iain/SK - I tried Bulletproof coffee. Not a fan. I like my coffee plain and black. I am a fan of jerky, however (apart from when it gets stuck in your teeth...)
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    SK - it makes the coffee very creamy and thick and so delicious. I make my own biltong so got a ready snack..
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Slowkoala: My legs are the same. I'm definitely British!  

Recovery run for me today. I'm feeling alright so happy about that! 

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Emmy and Suz, well done in the long runs. Even if they don't feel good at the time I always think if you get to the end and not injured then you've got some good miles in the bank.

SK, yes I agree it was very well organised. I was behind a couple of Hillingdon ladies for my first lap but even after that lots of the marshals were very encouraging. I loved the lady marshal who jogged on the spot the whole time! Also a couple of people from my club (Watford Joggers) were supporting too which was great (and a good feature of a lapped course so I saw them 4 times). Glad you are recovering well.

Tuesday's recovery run seemed to really help me, legs felt great yesterday, at our club run (first one of the year that I was in a t shirt!) I did 6 miles at around 7:30s and was chatting pretty much the whole way.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Emmy - I'm fine, thanks.
    Will Rotterdam be your first marathon since having Evelyn?

Suz - as it's your first marathon I certainly wouldn't press you for a predicted finish time.   But to finish and especially to finish feeling good is the best goal you can have for a first marathon, and of course you will have a PB too. :)    I too think you'll be well under 5 hours.
    I normally advise a 14 miler 2 weeks out and a 10 miler once week before.   You might find 10k a bit short as you'll be into your taper which often sends some folk a bit stir crazy so 10 easy miles can help with that.   But there's nothing wrong with your suggested taper, do what suits you.
    BTW we love race reports on here so hope that after Paris you'll be able to do a report on your first marathon.

SK - maybe time to get the fake tan out ;)

Big G - are you thinking about having a go at Iain's way of eating?

Cal - I haven't tried the bulletproof coffee, I don't think I'd like it. I love coffee with hot milk, drink mine like that all the time, couldn't give up dairy.

Nick - I'm a great fan of recovery runs and nag everyone on here to do them.   I didn't do them for years but always do now after a race as I find it really speeds up recovery.

Nice morning here, had a good run.   Went to Yin Yoga last night and as I've said before we mostly work on the hips and I did think my quad pain this week was coming from my hip.   It worked, my quad pain has completely gone, not a twinge in this morning's run. :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I really hope my studio adds a Yin class. As for coffee, I like it strong and black. I'm partial to an iced latte, though. And I do use dairy - milk in my protein shakes, cheese and butter. Oh and ice cream. I tried going dairy free for a while (while I was on the Paleo bandwagon) and it wasn't bad but, eh, I'm not lactose intolerant so I eventually decided it was a waste of time. I did stay gluten free, though - I fart less and my joints hurt less, so two pretty good reasons. :lol:

Anyway, another beautiful spring day so 7 fairly relaxed miles (10:22 average) enjoying the blossom and daffodils. I will do another run tomorrow morning but then I'm jumping on a plane to Dubai. I am so not prepared for this trip - it seems to have crept up on me!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Shades, not really thinking about going totally carb free, but my carb intake has crept up again.  You may remember about 3-4 years ago I was eating far fewer carbs as I had ditched all bread and cereal and was having far less pasta/rice.  I felt pretty good at the time and I got my 5K PB in this period - 20:36.  But more recently the carbs have crept back in, especially the bread, so I need to get a handle on it again.  Although I am happy with my weight for day-to-day things (I have lost quite a lot since Xmas), I do have a stubborn couple of pounds that I could do with losing really from a running perspective, and I know from the past that getting rid of bread/pasta helps with that.  So hearing what Iain has done is very interesting.

Kind of related, one other thing I was happy with on my marathon is that I took no gels.  I had some water what worked out at every other lap (twice with some Elite in it) and a couple of handfuls of peanuts that I just fancied at the time, and that was it.  I remember a few years ago feeling I needed gels to get around a Half marathon, but know I don't need that now and don't think I'll bother carrying gels at all in London.  For Halfs, I don't carry anything at all now.  I know I had cramps but I honestly don't think gels or anything like that would have helped with those - my energy levels were fine, but possibly the cool weather conditions helped with this too.  When I did Palma in October in the sun, that was a lot worse (and slower), but a lot hotter too.

I had a rest day yesterday, but I'll be going out for around 6ish today.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: impressive to do the time you did without any fuelling!  I'm impressed. 

I'm still totally on the carb wagon. Never really got off but I'm trying to make better choices.

Shades: yes, this is the first one back. I'm surprisingly nervous about it if I'm honest. Excellent news that your quad pain has gone!

Nick: you're right. It's much better being on this side of a long run!

Recovery run done. Just 7k to loosen the legs. Rogue is under the weather at the moment with another phantom pregnancy so she's not eating and being generally tired.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - I've got a HM this Sunday,  would it be wise to use it as a MP training run?