Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks TBO2, I was thinking maybe of similar, with a mini-taper before Paris; do that at not maximum effort then taper and however I can recover before London (bionic leg replacement?).

I will get carried away at Paris I'm sure, but if I can control myself, knock a bit of time off my PB from 2 years ago, then go all-out at London that might be best. There's some pace estimate charts out there that reckon with the time I got at Bath I might be able to get a Boston qualifying time in the marathon. I find this very, very, very hard to believe, but it would be bloody amazing.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Nicko - got it :-)

I've run 3 times this week. 15 miles in total. It's completely against my training plan of 3 runs a week, not running on consecutive days, but just want to run all the time at the moment. Legs still a bit sore but they are ok.

katey - I wouldn't worry. As orbutt says, people have ended up finishing when the timing mat got taken up before but they still got a medal. You'll know that you did it. That's all that matters. When I got back into running and actually trained I targeted a half marathon with the goal of under 2 hours. I forgot to attach the timing tag to my shoe and got under 2 hours and even knocked 6 mins off my PB. Even though I wasn't on the official results, it didn't matter at all. That was my PB and it spurred me on to run more. 
  • Well done on the half marathons Nells and Nicko, great confidence boosters.
    Niko, I'm doing the double the other way round, going for it in Paris and taking it a little easier in London, that leaves a plan B if it doesn't go to plan in Paris.

25 days to go according to my Paris app, I'm starting to avoid people with any sign of a sniffle.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Macca - start spraying them with antibacterial spray just to be on the safe side... :D
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    We've had the lurgy in our house already. I've survived so far. 
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/nicko1981">nicko1981</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">> <a href="/profile/Gregory%20Curtis2">@Gregory Curtis2</a> said:

> Hiya guys so I just got my doctor to sign a medical certicate I download of the Paris marathon website, Iv attached a photo above ^ he's crossed out the examination bit and put what looks like the word "Reurds" I didn't have an exmination as he's my doctor and I just asked him to sign, but don't no what he means by that word? WIll they accept that? 

Looks like "records" to me ?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks nic that's what it most probably is, do you think theyl accept that? 
  • E mmy said:
    @Macca - start spraying them with antibacterial spray just to be on the safe side... :D
    I like that, after one or two I reckon the others will get the message.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Hi Gregory, if you get someone a bit officious they might be funny about it. I don't know if you can email anyone at ASO to check if this is acceptable. If they reply and say it is then you can bring that email along as back up. But others may have had experience of something similar and know if it will be accepted.
  • nicko1981 said:
    There's some pace estimate charts out there that reckon with the time I got at Bath I might be able to get a Boston qualifying time in the marathon. I find this very, very, very hard to believe, but it would be bloody amazing.
    I ran 1:29 in a half a couple of weeks ago. It hurt a lot. I couldn't sustain that level of effort for a full marathon, no way. None the less, the pace charts indicate I *should* be aiming for 3:15, which is ridiculous. If I run out of my skin in Paris (and it's not too hot), I'll be doing brilliantly to scrape under 3:30 - and that would be a big PB.

As for GFA for Boston... even though I'm now in one of the Chronologically Enabled categories, I can't ever see myself hitting that!
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    I am sceptical about the race time predictors too. The factor one uses of 1.06 suggests unlikely training for most novices/amateurs (perhaps this forum isn't typical) for the marathon. 

I have put in four training 30-35k runs and those times suggest finishing about 14% slower than the race predictor does. 

Any last minute tips at this stage for how to maintain form in the second half?
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Gregory - if you don't mind bending the rules, scan your signed form, scan a blank form and paste over the modified word. It will be fine. My wife signed her own last year and took a copy of the stamp that was on mine. No problems at all with it. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Nicko, I've not run the Hampton Court Half, but I do some of my long runs along the Thames Path near there. If you want to extend your run it would be easy to follow the Thames Path back into London, and there are stations near the river roughly every 3 miles or so where you could stop and hop on a train once you've done the mileage you're aiming for. Once you get through Kingston it's mostly traffic free, although you'll have to do a short detour on the roads at Barnes if you get there at high tide. (There are also plenty of pubs along the way if you need to refuel.)

On race predictors has anyone else tried the new Runners World one where you enter two recent races and your average training mileage? That came up with a time of 3 hours 57 for me, which feels much closer to my fitness than the others I've seen.
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Hi Baldstan
    thats a much better predictor when I plugged my details in, especially training miles per week and if I take into account higher temp in Paris.
     Thanks. 
    www.runnersworld.com/marathon-training/heres-a-better-marathon-time-predictor%3Famp
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    1992: RadarSal taught me a good method to maintain form. Every 5k we'd do a body check (also takes your mind off of things): 

OK, body check. Head held high, not slouching, arms are in good flow, legs are strong, legs are good. Body is great. 

It makes you check your form regularly, you can correct minimal issues. During one race I had another answer for all of her questions.  She'd ask and I'd say ; "f*** off"
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Haven't done that many races - how much faster do you tend to run on race day? Did MK20 in just under 4, which means I need to do 6.2 in the last hour to meet my target of under 5. On tired legs. Is this realistic? 
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Gregory - I had a friend running last year who had the same thing on their form. The doctor referred to medical records rather than making an examination or an appointment. He had no problems.

I will be recycling the same form I used in 2014 and 2016 with some careful edits to get the most value from the £60 the first one cost me.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    That course in MK FRG2 is not very fast and twisty. I couldn't say exactly how fast you'll go but adrenaline will get you so far. Don't go off too fast though. The first mile is down hill and you don't realise it. There are some stats that show runners who run the first 5km of a marathon as their slowest will run a faster time than those who don't. 
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭
    E mmy said:
    1992: RadarSal taught me a good method to maintain form. Every 5k we'd do a body check (also takes your mind off of things): 

OK, body check. Head held high, not slouching, arms are in good flow, legs are strong, legs are good. Body is great. 

It makes you check your form regularly, you can correct minimal issues. During one race I had another answer for all of her questions.  She'd ask and I'd say ; "f*** off"
    I like this...shall we try this out on Saturday 'Tired Legs'??? 
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Thanks Emmy, good idea for the body check. I expect I will be giving myself a similar answer! And interesting insight Kenno , motivation to hold nerve in first miles when I suspect the pack will run off.

Is anyone interested in having a list of our instagram (@1992kms) or twitter (@5areen) accounts? Have people found that helpful motivation in previous years or other events?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    1992: there's a saying on here: bank energy not time. I think someone said that the first 5 miles are downhill /flat and to keep your pace steady. I definitely agree in keeping yourself steady. 

The check is good just for doing a once over. Am I slouching? Are my arms correct? Etc. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks baldstan, I'm going to give it a go but maybe put in the extra miles beforehand so I have the crowd and other runners to make the last 13 a bit more pleasurable, obviously this depends on getting my lazy ass up in time!

That RW predictor comes out at 3:18, seems quite fast again but a lot more in the reasonable area. We'll see what happens, I reckon I'll aim for around 7:30 per mile and see if I can hold it. If not, there's London to try again!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I'm not doing any race predictors as I know they will be wildly off! I think I ran my first 13 miles in 2:30 at the weekend and then it took me until 3:45 to get to mile 16. Although I started run walking. Or hobble walking more accurately.

They have said I can't change pens as the bibs are printed although I can change them when I collect my bib I think. I didn't fully understand:

Bibs are already printed, so we can’t modify informatically your start range (and bib number).

We will make the change in the “Salon du Running”,  Porte de Versailles at the information, picking up options, please come after you collect your bib.

If you want to start in the Elite or Preferential start range, you will need to present proofs to do these changes (diploma or results on an half-marathon or a marathon). Don't forget to bring them printed with you.

You don’t need to do any modification if you want to run in more time, you will be able to go, the day of the race, directly in the following start ranges.

The modification of the start range will be possible only if there are still places in this pen range.

Just want it to be over now! I'm struggling to run this week with childcare and work, and when I do run it's sluggish and slow even over short distances. I'm trying a low carb diet which probably isn't helping (I will carb load the week of the race!).

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    It's really easy Katey :-) when you pick up your bib, there's a kiosk that you can go to in order to change pens.  You pop up there and ask and that's it. My sister did it the year she came with us. She went from the last pen to 3.45
  • Hi Katey. A couple of suggestions - building a run-walk strategy into your plan from the start is a good way to get round if you're not sure about running the whole way. It's hard at the start to take walk breaks (say, one minute out of every 10) when you're still feeling fresh and it feels like everyone else is overtaking you. But I absolutely guarantee if you keep it up the whole way round you will be overtaking people at the end who went off too quick. 

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend changing your diet significantly this close to race day. You need carbs to train (well, there is a school of thought about high fat low carb running, but that's another conversation). I'd recommend eating healthily, not too much, and make sure you get some carbs and protein in within half an hour of every training run. You'll be fine :)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent speaks wise words...
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Katey - As much as I don't want to promote running in a faster pen than you are capable of (slower runners in the wrong pen are a huge annoyance) I'm trusting that you are going to be doing your running respectfully along the side of the route rather than bang in the middle of the run route.

I moved up a pen at my first Paris and rather than give you a new number (the runner bibs are colour coded to your pen) they give you a sticker of the desired pen colour to put over your assigned number. It was dead easy to do, just finding the right desk was more tricky. But it is in the same area as the desks where you collect your numbers.
  • Hi everyone, just checking in, glad to hear that most of your preparations are going well. 
    Katey- well done on your running, have you considered whether your blood iron levels might be below par. I say this as I was turned away from blood donation a couple of weeks ago due to low haemaglobin and was told it is quite common in runners. Symptoms are low energy levels and I had been finding running quite hard work and had lost my mojo. I put myself on some ferrous sulphate tablets and fast forward two weeks I'm finding I have a lot more energy and have just run my fastest 5 miles in a year. It might be purely psychological but I'm convinced it's the iron tablets helping. I can put myself forward for blood donation in 3 months so I will find out if my haemaglobin has gone up then.

As to my training I ran the Heartbreaker half marathon a couple of weeks ago - wow those hills are a killer- in 2:06:27 a personal worst for me time wise but I think I gained a lot from trying to run up those hills. I have since done a 17.5 and a 20mile long run and was pleased to see the 20 miler was 30sec/mile faster than this time last year. Hoping to do another 20 or so this weekend then start to wind down a bit.

As to the medical certificate, I've just had a stamp made on stamps4u.co.uk As my drs surgery say on their website they charge £95 to sign such documents! The stamp was a lot less than that!

Good running everyone! Ca va!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

**** Saturday Evening Meal ****

The restaurant for the meal has been booked. Due to the numbers we’re back at PastaPapa, which has been used for a few years now. They’re a chain Italian restaurant, with typical pasta and pizza options. We have 43 people attending this year. Here are the details for the meal. I’ll post this information again closer to the race.

Date: April 8th

Time: 5:30pm (meet-up near the restaurant)

Location: PastaPapa, 1 bis Rue Jean Mermoz, 75008 Paris, France

Meet-up Point: Area next to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Metro Station.

If possible please bring some cash to pay for the meal, as it makes it easier for the staff when dealing with such a large group. Unfortunately their website is down just now, but typical prices from memory are around 15 euros for a main course. The food and drink prices are fairly standard for Paris.

• Hello All,
    Catching up on this thread after a while.. As the D-Day is getting closer, guess the nerves brought me here. :)

Welcome to all the folks who joined this thread recently. Good to read about how fellow runners for PARIS are training, coming out of injuries, battling their first marathon nerves, fab tips and advice from Vetaran runners, Marathon GURUs and so much! There is a lot to learn from other's experiences and advice than just running and training on your own. This thread is a great help in that direction.

End January, I was asked to rest TWO weeks due to ankle injury.. and then TWO slow weeks to come back into it. Feel much better now. 21M long run over the last weekend under 3 hours. and a 5K PB this lunch time boost my confidence for Paris. Planning to do another 20+ miler this weekend which should be last long run in prep for Paris.

Thanks for arranging Saturday Evening Meal gathering Eggyh73. Will be good to see most of you in person before the race.
  • This would be my first Paris Marathon and second overall.

I see some of you struggling to get the Doc Certificate signed, just like me. Heard from many other runners that they had faked the doctor certificate in the past, one of my friend signed it himself with no stamp on it and no one cared to look into it on the DAY.

I have just made up a stamp like image and inserted it into the official PDF file. Happy to share if you need one, but can't see a way to post attachment here on this forum.