VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Another reminder to sort out any new trainers if your current selection is on its last treads.

I am having to try another pair because my feet feel better in wider fitting ones - it took me over 50 miles of running to make the decision. 

Your toe nails also need to be seen to at least a fortnight before too.

After yesterdays recovery run of 12.75 miles I am now on 554.52 miles since 1 January
  • Another reminder to sort out any new trainers if your current selection is on its last treads.

I am having to try another pair because my feet feel better in wider fitting ones - it took me over 50 miles of running to make the decision. 

Your toe nails also need to be seen to at least a fortnight before too.

After yesterdays recovery run of 12.75 miles I am now on 554.52 miles since 1 January
  • Barneschar,
    I was the 2:29 pacer at Silverstone.
    Yes it is not too late to change trainers - given what you experienced I would think that it is imperative that you do so asap.
    In case you missed my earlier posting, I would suggest that you get a pair that is at least half a size bigger than your normal shoe size - mine are one size bigger but I also need wider fitting ones to allow my feet to expand (swell) after several hours on the road.
  • Hi @Harmander Singh 2 ! Ahh that's wicked. I ran with the 2:14 pacer a lot of the way (before I had to stop to do my trainers) and you guys are awesome, I loved running as part of a pacing group - it gave me a big boost. Thanks for the advice re: trainers. Glad it isn't too late. These ones are half size up from my normal shoe size but might need to consider going wider as well. Thanks!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Hi - if you think this is panicking then wait until the week before VLM, proper panicking. I have a similar dilemma - I've just gone from Nike Pegasus 32 to 33, and they give me a feeling like you've described but only in one foot and only after about 3 miles. I'm putting this down to Nike's decision to install gel pads in the forefoot of these shoes, which hasn't worked for me. I'm hoping that they'll break in with more use and be ok for the big day. As a backup plan, I also have a pair of 32s which are fine, and I'm also keeping them ready as a backup.

If your feet are giving you grief at 9 miles then they're likely to be much worse at 19 miles.

You didn't say whether your shoes were new or not - if new, then maybe they'll break in and be fine. If you've done more than, say, 100 miles in them and still getting this problem, then I would buy new trainers now or revert to a pair which are more comfortable. You still have a few weeks to put enough mileage in new shoes to break them in, but I would do this sooner rather than later. Worse case you've shelled out for a new pair of shoes, but you were going to have to do this at some point anyway (assuming that you weren't going to give up running after the marathon!). The other option might be to try different insoles? But you need to work out a plan fairly quickly, as VLM day is getting closer.

• @rodeoflip eek!

I've had them since December so fair to say they've seen a lot of miles. I have received a lot of conflicting advice regarding what trainers to get for my feet (high arch, over pronate) so I worry that I'll shell out for a new pair and they won't be right either. I tried going out in an old pair the other day to see if they felt better and they didn't. Might look into insoles too. Thanks for the help. Definitely agree that I need to get this sorted asap!

Hope things with your trainers improve :smile:
  • I'm planning to get new shoes next week so it's good to know it's not too late

Bit of a rubbish run today. 'Ladies problems' slowed me down and added a couple of comfort breaks and I had to make an unscheduled 10 minute stop on Tower Bridge as I had to wait for it to open and close (which I'd never seen before). I guess I've got three more long runs to do....
  • Some of you guys are superfast but we are all going to be marathoners in less than 940 hours time.
    Here are my stats since 1 January 2017.
    Another 12.75 miles as recovery run last night.
    YTD= 554.52 miles in 99 hours 59 minutes and 36 seconds over 73 days
    40 training runs and 14 races including Parkruns.
    Average run distance = 15.267 km (9.486 miles)
    10:49 minute/mile
    Marathon pace of 4:43:40

• I am neither superfast or confident that I will be a marathoner but I guess I have 8 hours on the day. As an aside, it was really hot today - went out in running top and t-shirt and had to take the top off. It will be shorts from now on!

Your stats are amazing, Harminder!
  • Yes you will be a marathoner SlowTortoise.
    I trained both Fauja Singh and Buster Martin - both in their nineties when they first ran the London - Fauja also ran it aged 101 in 7 hours 49 minutes - so I have confidence in you.
    Just try to look forward to it as that makes it doable - dreading it makes it harder and the thing is, you still got to do it anyway.
  • Sorry for being pedantic but I spell my name as Harmander (named after the Golden Temple) not Harminder as that has no meaning even though some people have been lumbered with it for life by their parents.  :p
  • Oops. Sorry about your name, that was careless of me. A nonagenerian marathon runner is something to aspire to! I used to swim with a guy who celebrated his 90th birthday with 100 yards front crawl
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    barneschar: Have you experimented with different lacing patterns? It can make a huge difference in how tight a shoe feels. I'm not sure which of the 2 trillion different methods to recommend for your predicament though?! (https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm). Of course if playing with laces doesnt appeal its not too late to get new shoes. I'd say ideally you want to run in shoes that have done less than 200kms (120 miles) in your  race shoes so they're still nice and springy - so that might mean you do as little as a few short runs and one long run in them before putting them away again until race day.

Been a good week for me so far - another cracking interval session on tuesday with 4 x 1500m all conducted at a pace I would not have thought possible just a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I popped out after lunch because it was the only time I could get out for my midweek tempo run. I didnt have my garmin (just applewatch) - so didnt have great 'onboard' stats and ran mainly by feel, 5km easy, 10km hard, 5km easy. It was about 27C and 75% humidity so I was dripping wet by the time I finished and wasnt expecting much. Then I found out that I was just a few seconds short of a 10km PB in the middle and the average across the entire run was bang on target VLM race pace. Pretty happy with that!

This morning I stepped out for a gentle 10km recovery trot before starting work and I really feel like I've got a handle on this week. I've got an easy saturday planned (just 20km) and then I'm going to have a good crack at a 10km race on Sunday afternoon. Its not what I'd usually call a PB course - it has a big hill and starts at 5pm so it'll still be quite warm, but I think in my current form I'm in with a chance anyway.
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Hard 9 miles in windy conditions last night. Feeling a bit sore and tender today though. Was meant to be doing 5 miles tonight but giving that a miss and onto 18 miles on Friday for my long run this week. Weather forecast isn't looking too great for it but here's hoping it's ok.
  • SlowTortoise,
    Thanks.
    In 915 hours from now (3:00 pm) you will be a marathoner. - see if you can finish faster - I am sure you can
    I am going to be at the Runner World stand at the Expo on the afternoons of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday between 3:00pm and 7:00pm.
    Come and say hello
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Hi Harmander, depending on flights I'm planning to hit the Expo on Friday evening. I'll see if you're there and say hello.
  • Anyone know when the mags are due to arrive with further info on start pens, registration etc?
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I look forward to it Rodeoflip
    Magna Carter - I see some of the Golden Bond places have theirs already.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Barneschar, I agree with Dad again re lacing. I have to wear mens shoes as I am a size 8 but with wide feet and high arch/instep.  Depending on the brand (Asics or Brooks) I go with either 8.5 or 9 and/or a wide fitting.  My previous shoes fit the front of my foot fine but were too big around the heel, they guy in the shop just laced them differently and they fit fine.  If I can find a link I'll post it on here.  Also another trick is to make sure that you don't lace them too tightly across the top/front of your foot but make sure they are fairly snug on the top one or two holes, therefore you are not squishing your foot down the front.  I was just wondering about my shoes this morning as I ran, I got them late Jan and have done all my runs since in them so need to check they won't be at 350 + by 23rd, should be fine I think.

Tiny little run this morning whilst waiting for hubby at a meeting.  Marathon entered for Saturday, I think I will go the full distance unless it gets too hot, like DadAgain, I like the idea of having done the distance.  It's 4 loops so can drop out 18/19 if I have too.  It's a warm forecast though so not too happy about that  
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Stepped out the car yesterday afternoon to pick daughter from school and felt a sudden sharp pain in top of my right foot as if something were stuck in my shoe.

I hobbled around and took shoes and socks off - but no foreign object revealed itself. Whilst sitting down my foot felt fine, but as soon as I stood up the crippling pain returned. I massaged my foot a bit - with no obvious tender spots but still as soon as I attempted to weight bear I was in pain.

Got home and applied ice before going to bed. This morning it feels ok and I can walk, do 'single leg hop' test and generally feel ok.

Terrifying experience - hope it doesnt repeat itself.... I'm guessing it cant be anything too horrendous or I would experience ongoing tenderness and pain on touch, but perhaps it was some kind of trapped nerve thing?

Not ideal 36 days out!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Early-onset pre-marathon paranoia? If it was serious it wouldn't have healed overnight. No idea what it was, but I would take it easy for a couple of days and then don't worry about it - "one of those things".
  • It took me a stupidly long amount of time to realise there was a reason for the extra lace-hole on trainers. This video explains it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRutJXMwZQ
  • Hope you're sharp pain was just a one and is now past, Dadagain.

Had a decent week for running again.  Got out with the running club twice and was pleased with Monday's session as it included some hill efforts which I managed to keep running throughout - haven't managed that in a long time.  The other night, Tuesday, I had a nap when I got in from work and woke up just too late to get to running club.  But managed to get out and do a 5k run on my own - again something that I usuall struggle with is getting out on my own.  Got a 10k run with a running club colleague scheduled for Sunday.  Then really need to get a few half days leave off work lined up in the remaining time to see if I can get out and increase my distance at all.
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Done a enjoyable 18 miles this morning. Was pretty windy but got round in just under 3 hours. Glad I took last night off as I felt quite good today. 
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Well done all on your runs this week. I've not run all week. Slight pain in my Achilles this week. Brentwood half marathon tomorrow which I'm looking forward too. Now hoping to run with harmander on Mother's Day I've dons a deal with my wife. I'm letting her do a  cycle sportive on my birthday 
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Brentwood half done 2 hours and 2 mins. Went off too quick and got to about 10 miles and had a blow out. Split times are poor but it's all about learning and I most certainly learned today 
  • Has anyone got some good advice on how to push through a run mentally? I had a disastrous long run today - I just couldn't get into a rhythm or relaxed and as much as I tried to push myself out of it I couldn't and had to give up. Truly the worst training run I have done to date. Anyone who's experienced the same and has a good technique for turning round what feels like a losing battle would be much appreciated! Hope everyone else had much better long runs today than me!
  • Must be the weather - lots of people reporting poor runs.
    In answer to barneschar's question, I can only offer an opinion based on my experience and how I motivate those running with me who are having a bad run.
    Today was one of those days for a co-runner - he is recovering from a (now diagnosed) knee injury caused by doing a tough trail marathon on New Year's Eve.
    We set out at a minute a mile slower pace from my house to our training lap venue ad decided to slow down even more along the way because he just wasn't in the mood. While there I persuaded him to do first one extra lap than he planned (each lap is 1.25 miles) and then when on it suggested he does another one to keep me company before setting off home (some 3.5 miles away). When he completed it we both felt better (running at 5:38 marathon pace). I joined him on the way home but turned off into a local park where there is a Parkrun course and did five laps there before going home - he did 12.5 miles instead of the planned 10 and I did 19 miles instead of 17 speeding up to average a 5:31 marathon pace overall. We both were winners despite a bad day mood wise.
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough, I was just logging on and thinking whether I should report my disastrous run today!  Got 12.5 miles done, but it was meant to be 20.  The first 7 miles flew by and I was happy, but then I just ran out of energy and miles 8-10 were awful, I continued on to 12.5 miles and after I got home I felt a painful twinge in my thigh, so hopefully that is a temporary thing.

I haven't been taking the day before seriously enough and I think a hot Nandos with extra "extra hot" sauce is probably not the best preparation, plus I don't eat before morning runs so I was pretty much on empty to start.  That's been fine up to now, but I may have to start having something to eat.

Anyhoo; I've had bad runs before and generally found I have bounced back better than expected, so fingers crossed!  
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Mike, you have got to start eating properly day before now and on the morning.  I sometimes have to force food down the previous day and lots of water (especially when Im here in Houston)  I feel it makes such a difference once you get into these longer miles.  Bit like the gels and such, I never feel like I need anything but try to take one every hour or so or 6/7 miles.  Problem is if you don't, you don't know until it is too late!  I also try to limit the alcohol the day before too :(

Did a marathon yesterday, was extremely slow, 4 loops and I walked a lot of the final loop as it was getting hot and I was just not feeling it and also started getting stomach cramps.  I walked through every aid station alternating between water and gatorade at each (can't get the hang of drinking out of  paper cup and running anyway without choking!)  Had to use some of the ice from the cup to hold in my hand and back of my neck as I was overheating by the end (temp was showing 27 deg)  Came in at about 5:20, so if I look at it as a long slow run, not too bad.  Pretty relaxed about London, not sure I'll get a pb but still worrying about my ultra in June; have to do another 10 miles extra and very hilly :o  Guess it'll be cooler though so that will help.

One more long run and I'm onto tapering!! :)