Streaking?! Anyone else tried it? - and I don't mean what you think!

Just read an article on 'streaking' - apparently, it's a simple 'run one mile' every day! Anyone else tried it and would you try it if you had tendonopathy in knees and just need to run regularly for therapy iyswim?
Tagged:

Comments

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Just found this: https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/motivation/the-rise-of-the-run-streak 
    but the question still is - would it help my sanity without compromising my knees?
  • FootmechFootmech ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I did a 30 day challenge once, to run at least one mile a day.
    i admit it was e catalyst to get me back into running. No knee issues though.
    i think if you want to start something, get yourself analysed for potential issues.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Erica Roe tried it a long time ago if I remember right.....
  • I'm not convinced of stuff like this. It'll encourage you to get out when maybe you shouldn't.  Rest is essential. 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm currently doing the 5x50 challenge - 5km a day for 50 days, but I walk rather than run some days.  The first year I did it I tried running every day, but after about 3 weeks, I was totally wiped out. 

1 mile a day wouldn't be as intense, but I'd struggle to feel that it was worth getting hot and sweaty for a one mile run. But that's just me.
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    One week left before I see physio, so will stick to the odd mile run/walk with the dog for now.
  • I agree with cougie on this. I started a streak at the beginning of this year, then got a niggle and thought I should rest a few days. Decided my main targets for this year - not getting injured, and running Comrades - would be compromised if I felt I "had" to run even when I knew I shouldn't/needed to rest, so gave up on the idea.
  • I did this over Christmas. It was from American thanksgiving to New Year's Day. It made me get out when the dark or the weather might have put me off otherwise, and once out I ran 5k about 3 times a week, a couple of miles or km a couple of days and just a mile on other days. Otherwise I suspect it would have been easy to not get out all week. Apart from generally getting me out and running it also made me explore times and places I could run that I wouldn't have otherwise. I discovered I can reasonably fit in a 5k during my 9 year old's piano lesson (and there's well enough lit streets to do so), I can do a short run outside school before picking up from after school club and whatever I might wish, I am NEVER going to be the sort of person to go for a morning run before work (I did a mile ONCE and that was more than enough). Obviously you have to be sensible and stop if injured or generally overdoing it, but it was useful during a time when I would otherwise be very lazy! I'll definitely do it again. 
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I think my general feeling now is to focus on short runs whenever I feel like it. I don't need to train for an event; my racing days (such as they were) are over; if I can do a couple of miles 3x a week & the odd 5K fun run (partly as the race for life means a lot to me - being a cancer survivor). It also means I can run with the dog & he won't hate me so much!!