Comrades 2017

Comments

• Southern Snail, for me, two marathons and two six-hour challenges: 26 Feb Mara, 26 March 6-hour, 17 April Mara, 7th May 6-hour (different venue). (I did intend to run the CTS Sussex 34-mile ultra but didn't enter in time, which has affected my plans).

Bit worried I'm not getting enough hills in - must try to get out on the South Downs Way, but including travel that basically takes the whole day, which means I barely see my husband or cat! I have started on the hill-repeats on the Comrades Bill Rowan training schedule, and most of my running club's routes are hilly/undulating, and when I run to work it's up and over Crystal Palace hill (and the weekdays I don't run it, I cycle it), but I'm not sure that's enough.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback Becca.  The streetview is a Google problem I forgot about - mymaps cannot access streetview.

Instead I have just protoyped a fly-over tour in Google Earth.  I'll share details tomorrow once it is a bit more refined.  
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I have the Comrades route on my treadmill.  It has street view, and auto incline control that mimics the actual road inline or decline.  So, basically I can run the entire thing or parts of it on the treadmill.  It's missing the spectators and the smell of the bar though.
  • Dannirr, I'm jealous. What treadmill is that? Not that I think I could persuade my husband it would be a good buy, given how infrequently I use the one I have now (bought before I joined a running club and got comfortable running outside in the evenings).
  • Dannirr said:
    I have the Comrades route on my treadmill.  It has street view, and auto incline control that mimics the actual road inline or decline.  So, basically I can run the entire thing or parts of it on the treadmill.  It's missing the spectators and the smell of the bar though.
    that sounds like absolute torture! 
  • Dannirr – your MdS training has been ace – you’ll be in great shape for it! You’ll have to swing by with your race report afterwards!

lowrez – Sorry you had a tough time at Wrexham – That suit must have ramped up the temperature! On the plus side it’s good to have you on board for Manchester – we should meet up with Seren as well

SS  - 3 marathons + 1 Ultra for me, but I also have a few other marathon distance runs in the mix as well

Bike IT – Good work with the map, looking forward to the flyover tour in google earth  - hope you get running soon!  

Debra – I know what you mean about worried about not enough hills – time to get my arse in gear!

Seren – How’s the hip getting on?

I’ve had a couple lazy weeks bubbling on around 30 m/w where I’ve adjusted to a new job and having a commute for the first time in my life! Ran a faster 20 miler run on Sunday and felt really strong and kept a good pace the whole way round. Starting to figure out how to incorporate more mid week longer runs into the weekly schedule with the commute 

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Mr Zuvai, glad you had a good run on Sunday.

I've stepped up my mileage and I'm including a split mid-week long run: c. 5.6 miles to work, ditto home, then 3 miles to the club and 6.5 miles club run - so nearly 21 miles during today, and I felt okay. Pleased about that (weekend I did 2 hrs or so Saturday, 3 hrs or so Sunday, and yesterday hill reps with about 5 miles total).

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Any treadmill that has the iFit application will do it.   Mine has 6% decline, which is really nice for the down run when you want to train on long downhills.

I don't mind treadmill running - I've gotten used to it over the years as I can't venture too far from home when I'm on call anyway.   Today was less fun - ramped the room heat up to 110 degrees F for 30 mins while on the treadmill :)
  • afternoon all
    Glad to hear some good running going....

the consultant thinks its a busitis and has done an urgent physio appointment....so its more rest and I will see him in 8 weeks....If its not better by then he will give me an injection which will hopefully work enough for me to attempt Comrades......training is overated anyway...

After 4 weeks not running I'm not sure how much it will improve in the next 8 weeks but i will see.....
     really pleased I got my qualifier out the was at abingdon as it still means i have a chance of being on the start line..although without the training not so much chance as seeing the finishing line  :)
  • Seren - That all sounds a bit disappointing. Lets hope some physio will have a positive effect. But stay positive and you will see the finish line. You've got a lot of experience.

Dannirr - I've heard of those treadmills. They sound pretty cool but I still prefer being outside. Appreciate their uses though

My hill reps didn't go quite to plan yesterday. I had a headache and with the exertion of running up a hill I thought my brains were about to explode. So 1 rep and home :/

I've only got in 3 runs of marathon plus distance so that will have to be enough. Need to find some hills though. Seem to be having a lazy week. That's after last weeks lazy week!!
  • I don't think there were any folding treadmills with decline available on the market in 2010 when I got mine. I could try working out away to prop the back up for decline, but I think I'm probably better off getting out to the South Downs if possible and otherwise going up and over Crystal Palace hill repeatedly, or (preferable) finding somewhere closer to home that I can do long-ish hill repeats on grass/soft trail.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Seren, I hope things improve enough for you to complete on the day.

SS - 3 runs at marathon distance should by no means be associated with the word "only"; that is more than some training plans; you are doing great!

Bike It - I love the map! I have built similar for my canal runs; be wary of making very long single lines, I don't know the limit, it probably has to do with how many points are on them, but I cried when I reached 60 odd miles one day and my line went dead. I managed to recover it by exporting, splitting it manually and loading it back in pieces. Also there is a limit of 10 layers I hit, I started to put each separate piece of the line in a separate layer, that's how I discovered that one, you can drag and drop things between layers though which gets around it.

Mr. Z - looks like its party time at Manchester - although I will need to be ultra sensible and focused (that will be a major challenge - ha ha) - I have to qualify at this one. I'm still sore from Sunday but have plans for a 16 miler this weekend, got to keep the engines rolling.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I've only got in 3 runs of marathon plus distance so that will have to be enough. 
    3 marathon plus distance is more than enough for a finish

Seren: My previous physio told me of someone who did get injured in Jan, worked on rehab only (no running), went to Durban and collected the race pack as it was 'paid for and qualified already, decided to start the race expecting to be cut-off and managed to finish.  It was not pretty, but a finish is a finish.

I've got the African equivalent of Daniir's treadmill.  I put 2 brick under the back of my treadmill for descents.

I'm still trying to get a good solution to get a tour of the streetview scene for the maps.  I've got a couple of solutions, but each has it's disadvantages so I put something out when it is more mature.

I ran 8km last night - longest run of the year.  Killer gym session today.  Onwards and upwards
  • I shall also be in Manchester. Just spectating though. It will be my husbands first (and probably last) marathon. A Christmas present from me :):):)
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    10km from me this evening. Longest run of the year so far. Happy days. I'm not completely over this injury though so a slow build up still needed.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I've missed updates for ages.  I can't seem to get the previous email type notifications of anyone leaving comments.  I've re-set the notification preferences a few times but nothing seems to work - must be doing something wrong?  Any ideas?

It's good to see most of you doing very well.  Seren and Bike It, I hope your recovery goes well and that you will both be on the start line.  I'm at least as marginal in this respect as you are.  After some major surgery in mid Jan, my recovery has been as good as could be hoped for but has left a huge fitness deficit.  I've only been back to running for 5 weeks now and have finally reached a level of about 40 miles/week, however longest run has been only one of 21k!  I don't think I can try to build up any faster without risking injury.

So, a lot of work and good luck needed before my hoped for sub 5 in Boston. My first 'test will be the Ashby 20 this Sunday.  I really need to do that a comfortable few % faster than sub 5 marathon pace in order to build some confidence. Fingers crossed.

• Terry - sounds like you've been very sensible in your recovery. Well done and good luck at Ashby

Bike It - Well done too. You're going in the right direction
  • Good luck on Sunday Terry - you've got this! 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hope Ashby went well Terry. I can't figure out how to get notifications either?

Intended to do 16 miles today but my hamstring and knee were doing a great wobbly double act so I bailed at 3 to limit any damage after they just wouldn't play ball. Had this great idea to jump on the static bike when I got back but could only spin for 10 minutes before my quads were tired... got a massage booked tomorrow... hope this is just a blip got a flaming marathon to run a fortnight today!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have missed you at Ashby, Terry.  Hope you had a good run.  My Comrades cap managed to stay on my head in spite of the strong winds.  A double race weekend for me, after Charnwood 15 (actually 16.5) on the Saturday and good time on feet.  

Hope the massage does the trick, Lowrez.  

Bike it, Glad to see that things are going in the right direction.

Seren, sorry to hear your news but at least you don't have to worry about qualification and hopefully you can get a finish.  
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Cut-off Elapsed Time Time of Day km to Go Miles to Go km Done Miles Done St Johns Avenue Subway - Pinetown 2:40 08:10 68.5 42.6 18.2 11.3 Winston Park 4:30 10:00 57 35.4 29.7 18.5 Drummond (Halfway) 6:10 11:40 44 27.3 42.7 26.5 N3 Subway - Cato Ridge 8:10 13:40 30 18.6 56.7 35.2 Umlaas Road Interchange 9:30 15:00 20 12.4 66.7 41.5 Top of Polly Shortts 11:10 16:40 7.5 4.6 79.2 49.2
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Ha - in the editor, the above post looks like:-

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Becca, Also sorry I missed you at Ashby today.  You were probably home and relaxed by the time I finished.  I only managed 3:58, a full 32 minutes slower than last year.  My first 17k was comfortable, at my planned pace, then the wheels fell of when I 'hit the wall' over the next 1/2k and ended up walking at least 50% of the second half.  Quite disappointing as I'd hoped that I was better recovered. That, in hindsight, was probably unrealistic optimism after only restarting running just 5 weeks ago.  I hope the 4 weeks I have until Boston will be enough for me to scrape enough improvement for a sub 5 - it's going to be very borderline.  At least Boston will be flat.  I hope you had a good run in Ashby, after all the double weekend miles.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you will be able to make good progress in the 4 weeks, Terry.  Sorry it didn't go so well today.  I had a good run, thanks.  This race is a lot easier with only 19 miles the day before, not 27.
  • Hope everyone is well, or at least showing signs of progress. 

55 miles for me last week - none of which were particularly fast but still miles banked. 

Terry, well done on getting through it - sticking at it will do you good for Boston! 
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, I hope the physio sorts you out quickly.

In the meantime, I finally found how to get this website to send me automatic emailed notifications when someone posts something.  Apart from repeatedly ticking all the 'notification preferences' boxes, I finally found the small gold star at top right alongside the Comrades 2017 forum name.  That 'star' needs to be 'ticked' to 'bookmark' and follow the forum - it seems the default on the new site was 'unbookmark'.  My updates are now arriving routinely.
  • Hope the hamstring and knee get sorted Lowrez and thanks for the useful information re cut offs and distances etc

Terry - Don't knock yourself. Sounds to me like you're doing really well after what you've been through. With another 4 weeks I reckon you'll be good for a qualifier. Keep doing what you're doing.

What sort of elevation gains is everyone running? Have decided that I need to do more hills. Does anyone know the distances and gradients of the 5 main hills at Comrades?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks SS - have a look at this (page down a bit): http://www.mymarathonclub.com/comradesup.pdf
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks Terry, I have found that cog! We are going to make it - onward!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

SS - I am power walking up all of those - and running a few yards of each so I can say in all honesty I did run up them - ha ha! You have to "manage them", not attack them, they are run destroying beasts if you "have a go" at them.

I am not doing any specific hill work, maybe I should! Just running up whatever turns up in front of me in training.