VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Foot seems to have come good instantly... so after 2 days rest I jumped right back in this weekend for a 10km race.

The course has a decent hill in the middle, its a 5pm start and the temperature was about 28C with 75% humidity. Standing on the start line felt like a sauna already - so what did I decide? Time to attempt a PB!!!!

In the 10km race there were pacers for 40min and 50min - which were either too fast or too slow to be any use - but the half marathon (same start as 10km) had a 1:30 pacer. PERFECT for my current 10km PB! With the course being 1 lap for 10km and 2 laps for the HM (with an additional spur on 2nd lap) it meant I had a plan... go with the pacer and stick with 4:15/km pace all the way.

After 3km I was thinking "Wow - this pace feels fast"...by 4km I was struggling a bit and as I passed 5km (21:28) I knew I was BANG on pace for PB but that it was utterly unsustainable! The heat was extreme, I was drenched in sweat and burning up. Legs were absolutely fine - but I could not get enough oxygen out of the thick soupy air and could not get the heat out of my body. I slowed down to around 4:30/km and watched the pacer slowly disappear into the distance.

There were a lot of my club mates on course - both running and spectating, so support was great and every time I passed someone I stood a little taller, lifted the knees a little higher and pushed the hips forward just a little more. I crossed the line in 44:14 - 76 seconds away from PB, but still a respectable time given the brutal conditions. Later inspection of the results shows I was 7th/196 in the M40-49 category! Pretty happy with that - and 55th/1569 overall.

That'll be my last race now until London just a couple more big weeks and then some tapering!
  • @Harmander Singh 2 I could have done with someone like you to accompany me! Sounds like your tactic worked really well. Are you going to be a pacer at VLM?

@MikeSmith Phew! Glad it wasn't just me then! (Although sorry to hear your run didn't go to plan) My disastrous run yesterday was similar to yours save for the Nandos the day before :) . I usually have to force myself to eat something the morning of a long run but it helps. I hope your thigh feels better.
  • Barneschar, yes I am going to be one of the 5 hour pacers at VLM
  • Hi all

Longest ever run of 17 miles on Sunday, very windy but thankfully dry, no issues but pleased with myself for treating it "like the VLM" and practicing my routine i.e. wore what I will wear, ate what I will eat,  drank what I will drink. 3 long runs left now ... starting to get excited!

Jonathan 
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Well done Jonathan, glad all went well :)

Not sure if I mentioned I felt pretty rough after my marathon on Sat but I worked it out to be a touch of heatstroke :o  Was pretty much out in it for 5 hours and I tried to take on plenty of fluids (they had them every1.5 miles) I think I sweated more out that went in.  Have the most delightful tan line on my shoulders where my racing back vest was!!  Thankfully I don't think it will be too much of an issue at London, in saying that though, it can be warm.  I can take any weather apart from wind and rain together!! :(
  • Hope things get back on track with your next run, Mike.  Got my 10k run done yesterday.  Went OK, but left me pretty wiped out and slept during the afternoon before I had to get up again to do my radio show.  On Saturday improved my parkrun time by another 16 seconds - just 10 seconds outside my PB and the best time I've done in 2 years so, whilst not ideal, I am the best place I've been since I got the VLM place a year and a half ago.  Aiming at 3 sessions with running clubs this week then next Monday is in line for aiming at a first attempt in trying to get a greater distance in.
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Good running everyone !
    Also did Brentwood half yesterday - finished about 45 mins behind Spenno (you do the maths!), although my timing chip didn't register so I don't actually exist ! Felt good though, nice steady pace and kept to my planned strategy (2 minute walks every half an hour). Very slow at the end (a not very nice uphill for the last mile or so !). But, importantly, no injuries, no knee pain and even managed a 2-mile "recovery" run today ! Hoping my ITB issue has been resolved this year by running much slower than I did last year, now in my "get round" mindset rather than my "get round in under 5 hours" mindset (sorry, Harmander !).
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Mike Smith - Hot Nandos the night before a long run is definitely not a good idea, been there done that ! Stick to pasta and porridge if I were you ! 
  • Hot Nandos still better than an extra hot curry and a cheesy pizza lol
    One gets a completely different kind of run than planned. lol
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander is Sunday still on?
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, lesson learnt and I'll do better prep wise! I also have pain on the inside of both shins after the run. I couldn't work out why, as it feels shin splint like, which I haven't had since I started running a year ago. So I checked my trainers - Hoka Clifton 2's - that have done 300 miles ish. They feel like the inside edges have collapsed and have lost a lot of the structural strength. I'm going to bin them just in case. I think being heavier has meant they haven't lasted that long. Does that sound plausible? I think they are also the cause of my blisters; probably should have got rid of them a few miles ago. Well done to all have got decent runs in!
  • Spenno, Just checked the calendar and saw Sunday still there after the Saturday - yes of course Sunday is still on.
    MikeSmith, in wet weather, I find using vaseline in between my toes and on my feet generally, minimises the chance of blisters as does wearing double socks. Try it.
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    See you Sunday then. 
  • Dear all,
    Although it is sad news about a friend of mine passing away - he was no other than Ed Whitlock - the first 70 plus year old to break 3 hours for the Marathon. He has 36 World records to his name and was a gentleman. His running would inspire anyone - so the next time you think you have a problem, think again. At 85, Ed did the marathon in 3:56.
    Ed and Fauja Singh were friends although they could not converse very well as Ed's command of Punjabi was terrible and Fauja's command of English is worse.
    Check out his story at:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/trackandfield/world-marathon-record-holder-ed-whitlock-1.4023053 
  • I listened to the Marathon Talk podcast about Ed Whitlock - as you say, truly an inspiring guy.

I stayed on my feet for longer than I ever have before (about 3:45) but there must be a lengthy German or Japanese word for the annoyance you feel when you get your phone out of your pouch and discover it's switched itself off so no stats...Piecing it together to get my full distance  I'm still on course for 'just getting round' - I could have gone further but a heavy shower coincided with the the arrival of a bus so I gave in...
  • Anyone else just get their Final Instructions mag through the post? I *think* if I've understood it correctly I'm at the Blue start.
  • Got mine - am mentioned on page 143 - pacers
  • Ooh hadn't got that far yet but skipped ahead and there you are :smile:
  • Having just looked at that list @Harmander Singh 2 I have a quick question if you don't mind? As there are two pacers for each finish time in each start area will you be running with that other pacer as one group and then joining up with the other two pacers from red or do you lead your own individual groups so it isn't too congested?
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Blue start for me also, but there isn't a pacer for people like me who might not finish until Monday !
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    barneschar - I don't know if the pacers at the same start run together, but the blue pacers certainly won't join up with the red/green pacers of the same time. This is because they take quite different amounts of time to cross the start line (green is quickest, then blue, then red).
  • Barneschar,
    In VLM, we run in pairs to ensure the other runners are not left without a pacer iin case one of us is unable to continue for any reason - we are only human after all.
    There is no coordination with other colour pacers as the time it takes to get to the start line can vary by upto 10 minutes.
    Hope this makes sense.
    My colleague Camilla is a super fantastic pacer who is spot on with every mile - she checks her gadgets regularly whereas I am happy to be in the right race and going the right way - just kidding , I am not that bad.
  • Thanks NickW2 - I was in the middle of composing my response but got distracted by my little grandson who crawls around like a headless chicken - he is nine months old.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for stealing your line Harmander ;)
  • Yours was more succinct Nick
    Thanks
  • Harmander and Nick both great responses, thank you for answering :) I'm a newbie marathon runner so lots I don't know!
  • I could be making it all up - but am not - honestly.
  • KieranG - start on Saturday lol
  • Such a great thread for us London Marathon first timers! Thanks all for the helpful information.

I too received my final instructions magazine, it's getting very real now.... 1 month today!
  • Coming from the US, and had to go with an international entry--seems to be a complete lottery number without any time seeding. I'm a sub 2:50 marathoner--does anyone know of any way to plead my case for getting a spot in a number 1 pen within my assigned start group?