Brighton Marathon 2017

Comments

• Thanks guys, exactly the sort of insider info I was after! Think I'll pop a couple of carrier bags in my pack, just in case! 
    I shall have my daughter with me as a spectator. Obviously she doesn't know the area at all. Any top tips for spectators please?
  • Fat boy trim, thanks for comparing the elevation to London.  I've done that one and it seemed flat. Handy information. Thanks!
  • migrant said:
    I shall have my daughter with me as a spectator. Obviously she doesn't know the area at all. Any top tips for spectators please?

Either watch start then head south east to The Level (mile 4 and mile 5) or walk towards the sea from start it's about 1/2mile to St Peters church, the route goes past one side at about mile 2 and past the other  side about mile 4.

Then head to the seafront slightly to the west (maybe near the Grand hotel) and you come past at mile 13 them back the other way at mile 25 then head toward finish/repatriation on the beach or meet at a pre arranged bar (they will all be busy to might be worth her grabbing a table ready for when you finish!)

Getting across the route can be challenging, there are crossing points, check the course map and hope!

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    SBD, sorry not to reply, only checked this again tonight. I have only run one marathon 7 years ago but I would like to try a GFA time of 3.15, but will aim 5 mins quicker to get sub 3.10 if possible. A lot will depend on the next 3 weeks of training. It's tought right now, dark nights and wet, cold and windy - so going through a mentally hard time although physically OK. Some interesting info. on here about the course and start etc.

• Thanks John2443. Will pass this on to her.  Suspect that the " meet in a bar" idea may well be her favourite! 
  • MACb -I remember your profile from brighton a couple of years ago - did you not manage to run that one? (I was lurking under a different name then)
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Fat Boy Trim, it must have been another person. I have only run one marathon in 2010, I did try and run London a few years ago but got injured. So this will be my 2nd marathon.

• ah might have been the london marathon a few years ago as i did London about 2 and 3 years ago. def recognise the avatar (mine might have been a tortoise)
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    That's probably right FBT. How's your training going, feeling ready for the taper soon? Some people seem to hate the taper, I have only ran 1 marathon before and remember quite enjoying it.
  • I love tapering! Allows me to indulge my inner sloth! 
  • Hi All
    Thought I would pop in to see how everyone's training is going.
    This is my 2nd attempt at Brighton, really enjoyed the 1st but I suffered dreadful calf cramps from mile 22.
    Hoping my training has better prepared me for whats to come :smile:
    So is everyone having one final big push this week before tapering?
  • Forever HopefulForever Hopeful ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Been a while since I've been on this site. It's all changed! One last big run on Sunday, then it's all downhill so to speak. My first Brighton. Be interested on people's perception on elevation and overall distance on the Garmin.   Thanks.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Starting to get real now. Still fretting about how to get to the start from Eastbourne, will rely on the trains! Also finally got info on the Withdean start, they say it is faster - not sure if means because there are less people or it is actually downhill! 20 mile race on Sunday and taper time. Got a cold right now so feeling below par, but hopefully this will mean less chance of a cold in 3 weeks! might need to keep my toddler quarantined!
  • Hi everyone, getting pretty excited and nervous now. This is my first Brighton Marathon, and I've been given one of the faster starts from the Withdean Stadium. Just wondering if anyone can offer a little advice. I'm coming down with a good friend for the run, so don't really want to start separated and miss out on the buzz of the mass start. But also hear the Withdean is flatter? And I am chasing a time - so any advice on whether the fast start is worth it, or whether I can get my mate in there. Good luck with tapering.
  • Im in the Withdean start and I don't think there is a huge difference - might be 10-20 secs faster as it is slightly downhill and Preston is slightly uphill. But Withdean is dull and no buzz. Also harder to get to as its a further 1 mile walk from Preston.

When I have done the Preston start I was always near the front so no crowd worries but if further back it could be an issue.

Preston park is a more enjoyable start with a good buzz and lots of people.

So in summary. Preston start is more enjoyable and Withdean start is boring but a few seconds faster start (and bragging rights).

• I like tapering. (But then I would as I don't really like running)
  • I'm unfortunately not quite quick enough to get onto the Withdean start line just yet, but having run a number of times from Patcham along that route into Brighton I can confirm it is considerably faster than the slog up and around Preston Park. I wouldn't worry about the (lack of) atmosphere either as you'll be overwhelmed for the following 25.2 miles!
  • Last year I started at Preston Park, and thankfully this year I have been given a start at Withdean. I was on the front row of last years mass start so crowds were not an issue for running, but the ridiculous queues for the toilets before were for lots of people. I didn't find the atmosphere particularly good at Preston and am looking forward to a much quieter start area this year at Withdean. Oh and missing the hill 100 yards after the Preston start will be nice too. The whole course just about is an assault on the senses due to the amount of supporters so enjoy the relative peace and quiet of the smaller start area.
  • john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

MacB - train from Eastbourne, check trains are running and it isn't replacement buses! Get off at London Road station.

Others - it will be quicker from Elite start - less numbers, miss out 3 tight turns and a long uphill in the first mile. Withdean is a straight run and very slightly downhill.

But there's little atmosphere there, 100 runners and 3 spectators so depends if time or experience are the most important thing.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Jason / john, thanks for that, some useful info. I like the sound of the faster start, it sounds a bit calmer there too. Not sure how to find out about the trains, it is scheduled on the trainline site. Do they normally say if it is a bus rather than a train? if it is I'll drive somehow.

Last long run yesterday, I feel I am justified in starting at the Withdean now, I ran 6.47min/miles for the Ashby 20. Felt good too. Now I'm actually fearing the taper!

• MACb - 6.47 min miles over 20 miles is very impressive - that sub 3hr pace!!!  if you can keep it going for another 6 miles!
  • john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Trains - National Rail Journey Planner just gives the journey time on the first page, if you click on details it shows that it's a bus. 
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

thanks john, no mention of bus on that website, so might risk it.

Fat Boy Trim, thanks, I did realise that when I was in the car driving home post race - my partner just sighed! she knows I will be more stressed now I realise that it is feasible! But I know how tough the last 6.2 will be. but I did finish with a little left in the tank I think. How about you, how are you feeling?

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, I guess runners have had the link mailed to them.

Start map shows corals on the grass again, I'll try and post on race Friday/Saturday on the state of the grass, hopefully it won't rain as much as last year!

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/participant-instructions

• MAc, I feel OK, and training been limited but gone well. I feel I could run20 miles at 6:47 pace (and have when I have tried sub 3 a couple of times, but unlike you been little left in the tank), but I really struggle in the last 4-5 miles, so I know personally I cannot carry that pace on. I personally would have to be able to run 20 miles comfortably at 6:30 pace to go sub 3 and I know I am off that pace by some way.

Sub 3:15 will do me nice. and sub 3:10 best I can achieve on current training.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Fat Boy Trim, good luck with the sub 3.10, you might even go better. For me the last 6 miles are pretty much unknown territory, so lot's could go wrong. But, Ashby was god for confidence, running at a good pace and I didn't feel too dead at the end, but I know my energy levels could drop like a stone. I am also thinking sub 3.10 would be lovely, but I might try a little quicker and probably ened up regretting it! I think it depends on final preparation, weather, how i feel on the day etc. Looking forward to it now. Have a 5 mile race on Sunday and then in official taper mode.
  • Its Taper Time!!!
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I'll take the easier Withdean start. I've definitely struggling with taper nerves now. Not sure if I've done enough while at the same time worried I'm doing too much and will lack energy on the day
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Not sure the taper has kicked in for me, will ease off with the distance but will keep active this week and a 10miler over the weekend. But next week will be tougher. I think it's important to keep active whilst not running as regularly as normal. So replace a run with a walk etc. I know it is hard to break the habit of frequent running but feeling rested on race day will be great. I'm more worried about getting to the Withdean start! looking like the 2 mile walk from the train station, I might try and thumb a lift! I need to decide on race shoes, not sure I am brave enough for a full race lightweight shoe, so might stick with the Asics Nimbus's - will probably decide on the morning! 
  • Haha, exactly same debate here. Got a very lightweight pair of Adidas Boosts that I want to wear, and a pair of bulky Asics I should wear.