Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    How's the hip holding up, SJ?  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Abbers - good session. Enjoy the rest day.
    Badbark - impressive as ever!
    SJ - Good to hear from you. Welcome to the lovely new forum. If you find out what the different levels mean then please let us know!
    Woke up early again and thought I had enough time for an MLR, but by the time I'd finished all my jobs it was 5:00. So did a gently progressive 10 miler instead (from 8:39 to 7:07), average pace 8:00m/m, avg HR 157, max HR 220! (The hummingbird is back!)

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hey SJ, good to see you popping in. As MsE has already enquired, how's that hip holding up? Lots of cycling & swimbling?

Gul - nice 10. Said it plenty of times before, but I just can't fathom keeping your schedule/routine!

Events in Westminster yesterday made me think about friends and threadsters based in London; hope you're all OK and not impacted by the shocking scenes that developed during the afternoon.

4 easy for me today with 6x100m strides.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Some things haven't changed Gul; up before dawn and 220bpm!!

Hi MsE, gradual decline is par for the course. On a very slow run build programme for an IM in september and currently hitting the dizzying heights of 3 x 30min runs per week (on a springy treadmill with my massive trainers on). And that hurts....
    I'm feeling fit though, in good shape and have retained speed but the faster I go, the more recovery I need and the greater the discomfort.

Anyhoo, biking is going well and causes no issues (even came first in a race recently!)(but would trade my bikes in to be able to run properly)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi SJ. Did you have work done on the hip or is it just injured? (sorry, I can't remember what happened  :# )

WFH today due to having a meeting in London this PM but it was cancelled, so I went out for lunch and ate 9 miles!

Planned on doing this route tonight but a real bonus to get it done sooner as it means more recovery before my 5th and final 20 miler on Saturday before taper.

The route is nicely undulating and meant I could do specific hill work for Boston, working on form and technique on the downhills (otherwise I'd get a rollicking from MsE  :D  )
    It went well, averaged 6.57 with almost zero ankle pain and manageable pain in the glute/hammies.

Got that smug, 'session done' feeling now.  B)

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Slokey welcome back and good to hear you are winning races
    Gul nice early 10
    Gdawg speedy 9.

up after last nightshift and out for 12.5m at 7:02 m /mile average.

2 easy ,3 at 7:30 then straight into 10k in 39:06 which is a shiny new pavement pb , 1.5 steady to finish (7:30)

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hi Abbers, GD, Leslie!
    All looking strong!!
    (GD - I'm just an old git - speaking of which, a fellow rider at a bike race at the weekend asked me if I was retired !!! - I'm only 45! Cheeky beggar)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'm 49, SJ and sometimes get comments I'm younger. Obviously I had an easier paper round than you !  :D
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Crikey, what jobs do you have to do at 4am? Nice progressive 10m. Would be sensible to get back to more miles progressively as you plan to. I can't recall if you entered an Autumn mara yet or if you have one that catches your eye?

SJ - Welcome back. Which IM are you doing in September?

G-Dawg - Great pace for your 9. 

Leslie - I have never run 40 mins for a training 10k, let alone 39! Nice one!

Abbers -  Awful situation in London, it's scary to think how it could easily be anyone or someone we know. My sister was in Paris when the attacks happened and in Brussels as well. She is a frequent flyer and I do worry about her. 

OO - Sounds like a sensible decision to bin any thoughts of that race. VLM is the big one.

A mix of recovery and steady running for me the past few days. 4 miles yesterday and 5k today. The mind, legs and body are feeling good at the mo. 

I spoke with my sister tonight and it's all good. I will hopefully get flights and race registration sorted for Holland this weekend, which leads me onto a question for the experienced GFA runners on this thread. When does the trigger occur? I'm most certain that I will run Amsterdam and will be aiming for a GFA time. 

• Gerard, I assume you mean London GFA and it is calendar year, so if you want to run London 2018 you will have had to run a GFA time since 1 Jan 2016 and you have to get it in my mid-June sort of time when the GFA window closes.
  • Yay SJ - glad to hear that you're still cycling and doing a bit of running as well. Good to know that you're taking it easy with only an IM planned for this year.

Gul - shame on you not getting out until 5am. Come on, where's your commitment?!

Super training 10K Leslie - like GM says, 39 mins is just a scary thought in the middle of a 12 miler.

Where and when are you planning on doing your 20 miler on Saturday G-Dawg? Do you ever go along the River Wey Navigation? I'm planning on a 20 mile round trip including the stretch from Cartbridge to Pyrford although it's going to be an early one as I need to be in Bath by lunchtime.

Did anyone else get their final VLM magazine this week? Looks like I'm on the green start (no. 27748) so while I'm GFA, I'm clearly not FGFA. Thinking ahead a few weeks, will it be Chandos again afterwards?

10 miles yesterday with 8 x (3mins reps / 2mins easy) - the reps were a bit of mixed bag with the pace ranging from high 6:20s to 6:50s depending on terrain and wind direction. 11 miles worth of commuting runs today followed by a rest tomorrow.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    PMJ - Yes I was thinking of VLM GFA. Thanks for that. So, If I run a GFA time in Oct 17, I'll qualify for entry in 2019, providing I submit my time by the cut off in mid June 18? I might be able to get a place for 2018 through the club but I may opt for a European destination instead for 2018 and would prefer to get into VLM via the GFA route as I've already done the club option once before in 2013. 

Lorenzo - Nice commuting 11 with some good speed in there too. I need to visit this Chandos place one day soon! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes things have changed Slokey but you get used to it- there are a few things better. What your assessment for VLM- is training going good?

I've had a cold this week and a sore hip so a bit of a come down since my 20 miler. Anyone racing this weekend?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Lorenzo - You'll probably be too early for me. I haven't run that stretch, I mapped it out recently but changed my mind last minute. I'm planning on an undulating plod from Woking to Weybridge via the Seven Hills Road.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SJ - great to hear the cycling is going great. How many hours a week are you doing for the IM training?
    GD - satisfying lunch!
    Leslie - great pace there in your 12.5 miler.
    GM - is Amsterdam an autumn marathon? I have half an eye on the Thetford Iceni in early September or there's always the Norfolk Coastal again in late October! Neither are any good for a GFA though. Mablethorpe is a possibility. Don't mention the S word.
    Lorenzo - still a good session. Not long to VLM now - will make a note of your no!
    OO - get well soon.
    Set off at 4:30 this morning and notched up my first MLR since 13th February (if you don't count a LR on the 19th!) Another progressive, but not quite a royal flush today, from 9:11 to 7:32, avg 8:19 and 146 bpm. Kept HR under 200 today (max 168!).
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, I was given 27772 for VLM - we are practically related! I won't be toeing the line this year though OO, it would be a bit too messy in the middle of my other training. Can you defer GFA places?

Gul - I'm in base training still so only about 12hrs per week at the moment and most of that is on the bike - all very chilled still :) 

GM, IM race is the ETU European long distance champs in holland in September - excited to be in the GB old git squad!  Also donning my GB trisuit for the ITU world aquabike champs (swim/bike) in Canada in August as a warm up.
    Couple of other jollies planned too with a beefy cycle event in July (Tour du Mont Blanc which is probably the hardest thing I'll do all year (330km and 8000m climbing in a day)) and the Great Swim Run in June in the Lakes (which is basically just me messing about)
    Planning a few bike races in between too and that should keep me occupied.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Feeling better today. A nice 10 miler to catch up on a shabby week. Prizes for Locke Park 20 are awarded on WAVA and it seems I got a podium 3rd place- nice prize arrived today in the post.

Yes slokey you can defer your entry as far as I know. That's a shame though :(

• GerardM said:
    PMJ - Yes I was thinking of VLM GFA. Thanks for that. So, If I run a GFA time in Oct 17, I'll qualify for entry in 2019, providing I submit my time by the cut off in mid June 18? 
    That's right. It is a bit odd with the autumn versus spring marathons, so I ran VLM 2016 and that would get me into GFA for 2017 and 2018 but if I had run an autumn marathon in 2016 it would have only been good for 2018. I have to decide if I want to run VLM 2018 in the next few months.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Slokey I hope you whipped that cheeky feckers ass in the race ! Your race schedule certainly looks full on !
    Lorenzo nice reps into the wind , enjoy London.
    0054 nice 10 and a place on the podium too .
    PMJ I thought you were done with mara's ? Missing them already ? sounds like another comeback is on !
    slept in till 10am ,seemed to miss the alarm then out for 16m at 7:45 average with most of the last few miles at 7:30 after a slow start .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I crushed him Leslie! Whippersnappers!! Yeesh
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Leslie H said:
    PMJ I thought you were done with mara's ? Missing them already ? sounds like another comeback is on !

Raced marathons done, but jog round in 3:20 in 2018 and that is GFA good until 2020. That's only 71.0%   WAVA so can't count as a race and good excuse for a pint or more at Chandos.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

"Jog round in 3:20"! I wish. Be delighted if I "jogged round" Brighton in anything like :)

Last 16 mile significant run tomorrow as week 16/18 comes to an end. Almost time to start obsessing about the weather forecast and other such pointless activities.

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    Every Friday I have a gentle jog of 3 miles to work and then 3 fast on the way home. Each week I aim to beat the previous best.  Hugely motivating to see it progress from 19:45 on week 1 to 18:20 last week into a headwind. Today was perfect weather with v slight tailwind which saw me go 17:36 with an average pace of 5:51 and a 5:45 last lap
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    2/2 No idea how this translates into a marathon time prediction for me but confidence is good right now.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    ssc - Great running there for your fast 3 miler. You have plenty of speed in your legs and are looking good for a decent outing at your marathon.

Abbers -  I hope your last run goes well. 

Gul - Amsterdam is 15 October. Hopefully you can get in decent shape for whatever Autumn mara you choose to do. 

SJ - How cool! Sounds like you have got some great events lined up. That TDMB sounds right up your street! 

OO - Glad to hear you're feeling better and always nice to record a good double digit run. Well done on the prize. What was it if you don't mind me asking? I've only ever won a prize once and that was a bottle of wine for coming 4th in a race. :

SBD - How's it going? 

5.2k hilly run for me today on lunch, work is hectic and I was lucky but determined to get out. Bang on 7mm pace which was pleasing as I hadn't intended to run that quick on that particular route today. The long steep hill was negotiated well and it was an enjoyable outing on dry sunny conditions. I've got an unexpected free weekend this weekend so I am busy trying to decide what to do in prep for next Sunday's race. I think it's time we put up the race list again. Does anyone have the most recent version? 
  • PMJ - I can tell you fancy another smackdown in 2018!!!

Speedy 3 miles there ssc - not sure exactly how it translates but I suspect it's pretty good. Sub-3 I'd suspect.

Good hilly run from you as well GM - will have to look back and see if I can locate the list.

Congrats on the prize OO

18 for me this morning - 2 miles warm up followed by 15 at MP+10s, then 1 mile cool down. 15 in the middle were all in the 7:00-7:20 range with an average of 7:12 so a. reasonably happy and b. confirms that sub-3 is not on the cards.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    PMJ good to see you have a plan 
    Abbers near there now 
    SSC Id translate that as damn quick  !
    Gerard nice bit of hill running.
    Lorenzo I read the first time  as mara pace plus 10%  and 7:12 average and thought you were well in for sub 3 !
    7.5 recovery miles this morn at a sedate 8:50 average and felt absolutely whacked ! Just as well I don't have a 22m tomorrow Ooops !

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pace there, Lorenzo! Lucky we didn't meet up, you'd have run me into the ground!

My tough 9 miler on Thursday was still in my legs today so I kept the pace easier. 21 miles at 7.50 pace. It got windy at times which meant for hard work but overall I felt OK if a little fatigued. Hammies hurt all the way but once I get tomorrow's recovery session done I'll be in taper and can focus heavily on getting things fixed as much as possible before Boston.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - excellent that you have a proposed target marathon in Autumn. I hope Amsterdam is soon confirmed  . . .

OO - congrats on the prize -

Lorenzo - fine 18 - you say sub-3 not on cards - will you still make an attempt, or have a slightly lesser goal now? 

Welcome back, Slokey - great that you're competing at high (GB (!) ) level despite the curtailed running - kudos to you  . . .   and as for "I'm just an old git " , well, no sympathy here :)  . . . .

. . . . my VoGit legs were pretty "dead" feeling this morn on my 9 miler inc 2 x 1 mile & 6 x 350m.