Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• It's rare that the largely aerobic first 20 miles should push an athlete's HR anywhere near MHR... Getting to the 'real' start line with a HR Reserve of 20+ should be achievable, and indeed necessary, if an unpleasant final 6 is to be avoided!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'll be around 160 to start. That's usual for me. My max will be around 180 but I can sustain around 170 average for a couple of hours. 
  • Guys! I am super excited I cannot wait!!!
  • I wish I can sub 4. Don't know if it's gonna happen :) But any PB would be great. Last (First) marathon was a 04:17:06.
  • Morning guys & girls, 

A quick question for the Paris veterans... what is the best way to get from CDG to the expo? I am thinking of using the metro but open to any better ideas.

I land at 5pm on the Friday and heading straight over to get my bits and bobs, in hindsight it wasn't the best plan arriving into a busy city at rush hour, a good warm up for the start pen jostling though.
  • Hatton - take RER Line B (the blue one) to Cité Universitaire then the tram to Porte de Versailles.

Watch out - there are two 'Parc des Expositions' in Paris - you don't want the one next to the airport.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Anyone who is tapering for the first time, don't panic. 
    You may have done your last big run and been left with the thought that there is no way you can run 26.2 miles. You can and you will - and here's why. 
    Your mileage has peaked. This means that, right now, your body is incredibly fatigued. The purpose of the taper is to allow your body to recover whilst still maintaining your fitness. When you get to the start line you will be at your best. 
    A crowd is a great motivator. I very much doubt that you have had many people cheering you on your training runs - they would be so much better if you had. Paris will have thousands of people cheering and clapping, ringing bells and waving flags. These will keep you going. 
    There will be a lot of other runners and these will tow you around. You, in turn, will motivate others. 
    There will be a medal at the end and a t-shirt to wear with pride. It will be a limited edition that only the chosen few can wear. Do so with pride. 

Are you you thinking of doing another big run because you think you haven't done enough? Don't. Your body needs to recover. Keep up the intensity of your shorter runs but reduce your distance until the big day. 

How is do I know this stuff? Because I have had all of these thoughts and doubts - and to be honest, I stlll do. I have worried about not running enough 20 milers - and I still do. 
    I have felt the support of the crowd - and I love it.

Paris is special. Your job now, is to get to the start line fit, healthy and ready to go. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    ^^ Agree with all of this.
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Thanks Orbutt. Very timely. I was pushing the buggy round today (with 2yo and shopping) and my legs felt heavy and dull. I was less spritely than at the beginning of this journey.

The recommended taper I have is still pretty astounding compared to how I started - e.g. 15 miles this w/end and 12 miles next. My secondary plan, Hal Higdon's is less testing, 12 and 8 miles. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Orbutt. The task is becoming ever more daunting as the day comes nearer and everyone around me (non-runners) become more and more excited... 
    Currently trying to juggle excited supporters with the wants of FRG1, who just wants to spend some time at home in Paris with his mum.    
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    Convocations are now available from marathon web site
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I still have one long run left on Saturday, either 18 or 20 which will be my longest run yet. I'm hoping I can get through it which will be a huge motivator.
  • Convocation printed! Thanks RoddyMac.

Katey, 18 or 20 miles long run 2 weeks before Paris? If that's going to be your longest run so far, doesn't look the right thing to do honestly. I wouldn't say the same to a seasoned runner, but some one who has started running long distance recently, body needs to adapt, adjust. It definitely needs a good time to recover from the battering it gets from the looong runs. In other words beginners will need extra time to recover runners from long runs than Veterans.

My two cents from what I have learnt in the last few years of my athletic life, split that planned long run into two runs, 9/10 miles each two days apart. You definitely shouldn't be doing your longest training run 2 weeks before the D-DAY. specially when it is your first. :smile:
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I've tried 18 miles before but bailed at 16 so I feel I kind of need to do it. A few people here suggested it would be okay with a slow and steady strategy (I'm slow, very slow). Maybe with a bit of run / walk. Hopefully 2 weeks will be enough recovery time for me as my body is quite quick at healing (unusually for a diabetic).

It was my boys first birthday yesterday, born via emergency c-section, I was out for over four and a half hours with complications and remember when I came round crying as I thought I would never be able to run again. Looking back on this time last year I can't even believe I've done a half and that I'm two weeks away from attempting a marathon!
  • Need a few suggestions from the folks who have done PARIS before.

1. I am checking out of the hotel Sunday morning before the race, flying out in the evening (Sorry, will miss the post run gather). Any of you used the baggage hold service at the run? If so how well managed it is? I have heard of stories from my running friends some events (not Paris) messing up the baggage that they had to wait for 2+ hours to get their bag. So, I usually leave everything in the car while doing local events. For this one, I have two choices. Either request the hotel to hold luggage and travel back to hotel post race to collect it OR use the race luggage service. A bit insecure feeling to leave the bag in the hotel with phone/wallet/passport everything in it. Not sure which one is less risky!! Any thoughts/comments?

2. Showers after race. From googling, I have these options Gare Du Nord or YOTELAIR (Inside airport). Any suggestion tried and tested alternatives?

Thanks
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Madhu2 - a third option for your bag if you're going to be passing through Gare du Nord anyway is that they have lockers there (of various sizes/prices) that are very secure. I last used them on Monday this week as had to check out of accommodation at midday but train wasn't until the evening. They are safe and secure (you have to put everything through a scanner to gain access to the area), the only uncertainty is if there is a locker available (I've tried to use them on a previous occasion and they were all full, which they don't tell you on the way in so you have to wander round the room checking every one along with all the other people!). The solution to this would be to go there the night before and nab a locker (lock it with nothing in there!), but you would have to pay twice for it I think. There were plenty to choose from this week though.

For bag collection post race, I've never had any trouble, but have tended to be at the back of the pack when things are probably quieter anyway. It has always been well organized in my experience, but I'm not sure how much you're allowed to take with you these days due to security checks etc. I missed out on last year as had to head home early at the last minute, so things might have changed as security becomes more of an issue.

• Katey - I'm going to disagree with Madhu and say that an 18-20 mile walk/run won't do you much harm at this stage. I can't emphasise enough how much pleasanter it will be if you incorporate planned walking breaks from the start though, rather than pushing as long as you can before you take a break. You'll stay much fresher, for longer.
    If you were coming off a 70 mile a week plan I'd say yes, you need the full 3 week taper, but I think the mental boost you'll get from doing it will outweigh any tiredness after. 

Madhu - agree with Nells about the station locker option. The race bag drop is OK, but it's really only for small bags and it wouldn't surprise me if there were security restrictions about leaving bigger bags.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I do find it hard to walk early on! I can run a good 10 miles before I start to feel a bit of fatigue creeping in and my temptation is to build in speed to get a headstart early on. I am still quite worried by the 6 hour cut off but hopefully moving pens will give me that bit longer. 

Do you think maybe 10km running and then start a run/walk strategy after that is a reasonable compromise. I still feel relatively fresh at that point (in fact on long runs km 10-14 tends to be my fastest). I plan to start taking jelly babies on even km markers after 10km, gels at 20, 30 and 35km, and a protein bar at 25km. I was thinking having a brief walk everytime I eat.

What plans does everyone else have for taking on food during the race?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Katey - Running Rodent is much more experienced in run/walk strategies than I, but I fully agree that if you run walk then plan it in from the very beginning. Mentally it would be tough to go to the walk when you feel fine, but the entire reason is to avoid, or delay, fatigue for as long as possible.

Food wise I'd say you should aim to take in food earlier. You want to keep your body fuelled, rather than waiting until you're running low on energy and trying to top it up. Remember that no matter what it is you take, gels/jelly babies etc, it takes some time for your body to process those foods and be able to any energy it can get from them. Something maybe to try on your run this weekend. Take some food on earlier and see how you feel.

Fuelling is a difficult thing to give tips on, as people are so different and what works for one person really doesn't for another.
  • Hi - just jumping in the thread, two weeks to go and I've just been to the physio for a dodgy knee. Not great timing, but hopefully be ok.

If you plan on run/walk, but wait until you are tired before walking, it's a guarantee of walking more late in the race. Planned walking earlier will give you a better time (in both senses). Especially if you are tempted to go out too quickly.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Anyone going to the salon on Thursday? Thought we may go straight from Gare du Nord when we arrive and then it's done. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Graham makes a good point Katey. Using the long training run you had problems on, one reason to run/walk is to avoid the issue you had that day, where you ran so far and then your time was drastically slower over the final couple of miles.

You may be slower over the first section of the course by run/walking rather than just running, but if you feel less fatigued you'll more than make up that time in the later stages. For instance on that training run you may have got to that 12/13 mile mark 10 minutes slower, but completed those final 2/3 miles much much faster as you still felt reasonably fresh. Any gains you made by going out fast would have more than been wiped out.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭

PARIS 2017 list

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9672 - Steve Duffy 2
    10207 -  Maccatheknacca

Blue Pen (3:30):
    17108 – MattL
    17165 – LloydR
    20620 - Stuchbury
    20621 – Kenno
    20771 – Dean Lucas
    22198 – Mahdu2
    23303 - TT

Purple pen (3:45):
    29172 - Baldstan
    29451 - Pistol101
    29460 – Yer Maj
    29643 - AspirantRunner
    29691 – Eggyh73
    33449 – ryantilley
    37420 – Bandito27
    39073 – Mandydebs

Green pen (4hr):
    43209 – Nells
    43613 – Hatton2009
    43640 - andrewr123
    43794 - Never Give Up Girl
    43975 - Franz Wanzenboeck
    44052 - Betzza
    44674 – Benign Murmurring

Grey pen (4:15)

63577 – EHN
    63796 – 1992km
    64520 – Running Rodent

Pink pen (4:30+):
    68714 – Tired Legs
    69792 – Kirsten B
    68965 – RoddyMac
    73942 – FRG2
    75540 - katey
    75874 – Pancake2

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/,
    there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Regarding a long run 2 weeks before, I ran 17 miles 2 weeks before my first and I had loads of experienced runners telling me I shouldn't.  I then ran a half marathon 1 week before, again many told me I shouldn't, but I'm stubborn and like to do things my way (so not sure why I sometimes ask for advice!!  Lol).  I recovered fine and ran what I think was a decent first marathon.

My suggestion would be to do what you feel is right for you and gives you the mental boost that you need.

I'm going to run 5 miles tonight.  I haven't run since Saturday so my legs have got rid of all aches and pains.  I'll give it a blast and see if it gives me any confidence I can go quicker in Paris.
  • Just to be clear, run/walk doesn't necessarily mean you have to finish at the back of the pack. I ran Portsmouth last year on a strict 4/1 minute run/walk, from the start, after rather sub optimal training and finished in 4:33. There's no way I would have managed that time if I'd tried to run the whole way, and I was constantly passing people on the last few miles who'd gone off too quick.
  • Thanks Nells & RR!
    I am travelling light with only a backpack. Will keep that 3rd option open and see what works better on the day.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    There's no way I would have managed that time if I'd tried to run the whole way, and I was constantly passing people on the last few miles who'd gone off too quick.
    One of them was me!
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent, out of interest how fast did you run the running bits doing a 4/1 strategy? It sounds like you were running really fast on the non walking section in order to achieve that time. My concern is I'm a bit of a plodder so by doing that much walking I'll end up finishing really slowly. 
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Anyone planning to join the run in London on Tuesday evening starting at the Wilton Arms?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, run/walk doesn't necessarily mean you have to finish at the back of the pack. I ran Portsmouth last year on a strict 4/1 minute run/walk, from the start, after rather sub optimal training and finished in 4:33. There's no way I would have managed that time if I'd tried to run the whole way, and I was constantly passing people on the last few miles who'd gone off too quick.
    Yeah I haven't forgiven you for that yet.  You were only 6 minutes behind me and I did 10 miles at sodding race pace....

I have Convocated :D