Comrades 2017

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Sorry Mr Z, I don't have any time other than to drive up to Altrincham from home on the morning, get the train in to the start, run, and then the reverse to get home sharpish :(

Nice recovery Mrs Bourne.

Snail - you are acing this training malarkey!

Mr Z, I'm with the Biker; my current fragility was sparked by an uncharacteristic back to back on my part post Wrexham as I tried to "push on" to Manchester, ease down a bit I's say :)

• Mr Z... we are looking for a pub on the south side that will let us park overnight in the carpark....havent found one yet......where abouts are you staying

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Some great running going on, well done. Not sure if its that time in the training, but my enthusiasm this morning isn't as high as it should be.....
  • SVN 6-hour Charity Challenge at Bettshanger Country Park today. Laps of the perimeter packed-gravel path, with some inclines and declines, each c.4.37 miles. I completed eight laps and came in at 5:58:58 (or theabouts) with my Garmin indicating 35.59 miles. Happy with that - and I got a little "winner" badge, because I was the only one to do 8 laps, so I went furthest, fastest (at all). Proper Run Report to follow. (Yesterday, three laps of the Lloyd parkrun course, the third being barefoot).

How did everyone else do this weekend?

(And lowrez: thanks. P.S. it's "Dr Bourne" - I am married but my husband's surname isn't Bourne, and I really worked for that PhD!)

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Nice going Dr Bourne (Have you got a TARDIS? What do you have it camouflaged as at the moment? Seriously though what are you a Dr of?).

I'm not doing very well at all at the moment; did 1 mile Saturday in 13:34, unable to get my upper hamstring (or whatever this jiggy is that won't "snap out of it" and give me pain free motion) to play ball. Although today's mile was 12:04, very encouraging. I have not been in this specific fix before, and only have pain when I run, which seemed lesser today than Saturday. After yesterday's run I used a stretch that my physio warned me away from some months ago. Its from the yoga side of town designed to release tension on the "outer thigh". She reckoned I was overdosing on it a the time, but it is a mighty releasing and relaxing thing. I believe it is working. Belief goes a long way sometimes. I still plan to turn up at Manchester; my theory is that I am simply "tied up a bit" post Wrexham and if I can release this darn "thing" I should be able to cruise that 5 hour lap I need. We will see. Booked another massage tomorrow too.

• Great running debra...... sorry to hear lowrez on the pain.....will be looking out for you at Manchester

Had the email this morning....pleased to hear I get the tshirt at registration so will have something even if I don't finish  :)

Where they say about branding and logos on the t-shirts...it can only be small.....the pirate skull and cross bones on the pirate tops.....would that count as a logo....and would it cause a problem ...

• Debra - that's fantastic running. Well done

Lowrez- sorry to hear about the pain in your hamstring. If you have a stretch that helps then I would say go for it. I definitely agree that belief can take you a long way.  Good luck Sunday 

how owe many people are doing Manchester this weekend?

Seren - I've been wondering the same about the logos on the shirts. Was also planning on wearing my Pirate top. It's easy to spot.

Can we take our mobiles with us with music?

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Great running Debra - you'll certainly not be just a Comrades spectator this year. 

Lowrez, I hope you get your problem sorted out with the stretching and physio. It would be quite daunting to start Manchester with that sort of problem.

Seren, it's good that you're already qualified so, no Manchester stress in that regard. Just take it easy and don't do any damage, t shirt already guaranteed!

My training is progressing all too slowly as I try to build up after enforced time out in Jan and Feb.  I have managed 40 miles per week (all too slowly) for the last 3 weeks but I think that has me right near the threshold of 'too much too soon'.  It causes the odd very bad run like Friday, when my 8 miler needed me to stop for a short rest almost every mile!  And then, surprisingly, quite a good 12 miler yesterday.  Ups and downs!! :):/   I hope to now move up to about 45 mile weeks, except for a bit of a taper week pre Boston (which is almost my last chance to qualify).  I see there is Milton Keynes on 1 May, as a final backup, if I could get a last minute place. I really hope I don't need that.

If I don't write before Manchester, have a really good one there everyone.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone - I think I am paying the price for not having a good enough base so far this year - bones are not getting any younger either!  

I'm sure things will come good Terry, you are putting the miles in, irrespective of form that counts for a lot.

On logos I e-mailed info last year with a photo of what I planned to wear at the time and they ok'd it. They don't like you having anything much on a cap, but are less tetchy about Ts etc.

Last time I counted Manchester it was me, Mr Zuvai, seren nos and caashford turning up.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sounding good Debra.  That was a very good run and Betteshanger has some nice undulations.

Always the drama, lowrez.   Hopefully that yoga stretch will sort it out.

Fingers crossed Terry, hope you don't need to rely on MK.

seren and snail - I don't know what the pirate logos are like but club insignia are OK.  Snail you won't need any music at Comrades.

Canalathon 50k for me.  I had been suffering from a very tight calf last week, causing shin soreness, but had a massage and acupuncture on Friday.  This helped but not 100%.  Saturday I helped with run-walk group at parkrun and this was fine.  I went to Manchester and had an uncomfortable, but not painful, 9 miles.  It was hard to know if this was because of the massage or a lingering problem.  I wasn't sure that I should run this race but running seemed fine, if slightly awkward.  Once into the race no problems.  Thanks to lowrez for shoe advice.  Mostly good, runnable, surfaces, apart from a few miles around half way that were more gnarly, with cobbles and puddles.  The last few miles are much better and I could pick the pace up again.  Not a particularly fast time, averaging out around 10 minute mile pace because of the slower miles on slower surfaces, but still good enough to win my age group.  

That 50k is going to be my longest pre-Comrades run and the intention had been to top it up with a short run beforehand but this might have been pushing my luck.
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Terry - I think you're doing great considering the beginning of the year

my weeks probably average out at 40 miles per week if not a little less. I only run 4 times a week. Hope this is enough. Bit late now if not. I'm glad I got my long run in on Friday instead of today.  It's been a bit of a heavy weekend  :/

Becca-hope calf a shin pain are just a blip

i don't really plan on listening to anything at Comrades. I have nothing against music in races but personally I find myself irritated by it. I didn't listen to anything for the first 15 miles on Friday then when podcast ran out couldn't be bothered to find something else but will I be dq'd if I get my phone out and text my husband to let him know where I am on route?

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

That's got me giggling Becca - drama - well done on Canalthon :) I am more worried than usual that my wheels are falling off this year. Hope all your pains evaporate. 

I've seen loads of people using tech on course SS, but I don't know the rules, I don't run with anything but my watch. I always ask info if I am in doubt about anything. Your training plan is definitely enough - no need to use the "only" word in relation to it :)

• Seren, I have copied you into a message to my brother about parking options for your campervan.

Great work on your win Dr Bourne! Great running as well! You’ll be flying in June

Marty74 – I feel your pain about lacking enthusiasm - I feel I’m lucky to have runner partners who I know will be waiting as a motivator to get me out of bed!

SS – I’ll be just round the corner from Didsbury in Northenden. I’m not sure what top I’ll be wearing for Comrades but I was planning on wearing my pirate’s visor. I hope they don’t mind that - the logo is quite small on that!

Lowrez – I hope your niggles clear up soon! I’m certain you’ll be grand on Sunday - I’ll keep an eye out for you!

I hope tech on the course is fine – I plan on taking some form of camera, either gopro or phone, I am only going to run this bugger once!

Becca – great work on the canalathon – great to have the longest run done!

My worrying about what to do on the weekend was fairly pointless – the good lady was far ahead of me and have arranged a whole bunch of commitments for the Saturday which I was told in no uncertain terms I had to fulfil, which meant no back-to-back. I still passed on the QE spring marathon as the course was still really cut up. I did a 22 mile run at a comfortable pace and was still fresh enjoy to take advantage of the sun with a bit of kayaking and swimming. It was summer conditions on the south coast.

Really looking forward to Manchester now! 

• lowrez, it's a veterinary PhD. But "Debra" is fine! (And no TARDIS). Sympathies for the hamstring problem; I hope your stretching sorts that soon.

Terry, I think you're doing great after your enforced lay-off. I'll see you at Boston (is there somewhere we can meet up after the finish? Something large and visibly obvious to wait by?

Becca, well done on the Canalathon. Hope the skin pain settles soon.

Yesterday's event really showed me the effect of stopping for food/water. Eight laps, so seven stops, each only 2 mins - just time to grab a couple of bites of food and drink a cup or two of water/squash (except the one when I had to sit down and get debris out one shoe) but while my running pace was about 9.30/mile (did fall off a bit in the last couple of laps), my overall pace was 10:05/mile - and most of that difference was due to those short stops.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Debra, it would be great to meet in Boston.  However, I don't know the place any better than you, so let's both do some google searching for somewhere to meet at or near the finish or parking areas.  I'll revert if/when I find a bright idea.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Something large and visibly obvious made me smile, having been to Boston.  The most interesting thing in the town is a very large church tower, the Boston Stump, which you can't miss.
  • SHIN pain. I hope the shin pain settles soon!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks for the clarification Debra.  I was wondering if your impressive veterinary knowledge had enabled you to identify mine as a skin problem rather than a soft tissue one.
  • Becca: Nope! Just a common-or-garden typo, alas. Having said that, I sometimes get an "invisible blister" on the back of my heel where the shoe rubs over the top of the Achilles' tendon. Can be so painful that the first time it happened I thought the tendon must be damaged, but it's just a skin sensitivity/pain problem (technically called allodynia) where my brain translates the brushing up and down of the shoe over the skin into pain.

Terry: agreed.
  • Becca - misread about your canalathon. Thought it was a few weeks time and you'd just been running in Manchester this week. Need to read properly. Well done.

Mr Z - could have worn my pirate visor too but the damn dog ate it when I came back from pirate trip to Majorca last year :# naughty boy!!

just been offered a place at expo or trail marathon on April 8th. Looks reasonably tough. Anyone done it?

• Good evening. I haven't posted since December I think but I'm still in the game just about.  I qualified F in Barcelona a couple of weeks back have flights and hotel booked but having a bit of knee trouble on the left, can run ok but if I squat down have a bit of pain and clicking getting up. X-ray on Wednesday. 

Did anyone notice this in the info for International runners e-mail.

2. Bus tickets will be on sale for athletes who require transport from Pietermaritzburg back to Durban after the race. Tickets can be purchased at a separate stand at the Comrades Expo. Please note that there is no facility to transport supporters along the Race Route, to the start in Durban, or the finish in Pietermaritzburg. You need to make your own arrangements for your supporters.

Am I reading this right that there are no bus tickets available for supporters to get to Pietermaritzburg from Durban or back after the race as in previous up runs?  Or is it business as usual?

Notice also that the bus tour is now charged for-disappointing given the cost of entry.

I got an e-mail today introducing a new marathon in France for March 2018 - Marathon du Golf de St Tropez- looks Ok.

• Typo. Exmoor trail marathon 

Jelly bean - hope your knee is ok. I understood it that supporters can get the bus back from Pietermaritzburg to Durban with the runners but they have to find their own way from start to finish (which is still worrying me). There is a charge for the bus tour but as its my first time I didn't know it used to be free.
  • SS I think/hope info is unclear or incorrect there used to be a stand at the expo where supporters could buy a ticket to the finish hopefully that's still the case otherwise I will have a domestic on my hands.

I ran my first Comrades in 2011, on the tour then you got to the cricket ground and little old ladies served you sandwiches and tea and cake,  after the race there was hot food laid on.  In 2013 I took the tour, we stopped at the school on the way and people duly made their donations then when we got to the cricket ground we were given a cheese sandwich, I think wrapped in cling film, in a paper bag and pumped shamelessly for further cash  and you could see the uneasiness on peoples faces, rushed through lunch asked if we really wanted to go to the Comrades museum as their schedule was behind, rushed through that and rushed back to Durban.  I was left with the impression that we were cows there to be milked.  That's ok but it could have been a little more subtle.

Hopefully that experience was a one off but that was my last tour, there won't be any more.  Effectively what you got for about £110 in 2013 now costs £175  when the race entry for a non International is how much?  But it's a great race and driving the course is worth while at least once.
  • JB - just looked at this mornings email and I'm definitely reading it that we have to make our own separate arrangements to get supporters from start to finish
  • I also thought it said that we could buy tickets to get our supporters home on the bus with us but now I can't see that. Do we have to make arrangements to get our supporters both ways?
  • SS I've seen the sort of wording used in previous years but it's turned out to be a case of cut and paste.  I think between now and June I will mail the organisers and see what's what.  It might mean a group of supporters hiring a taxi/mini bus and splitting the cost but hopefully it won't come to that. 
  • Ran to work and back over Crystal Palace Hill yesterday. Slow-steady pace, more than 10 mins/mile average, and a bit stiff, but didn't feel too bad, which is good after Sunday's run. That's 46 over two days, which is good - but I lost most of last week including last Sunday's hilly long run to the norovirus attack, which is bad -not managing to keep my weekly mileage up where I want it (I wanted to be on c. 55/week during March).

Re. getting spectators to/from Petermaritzburg, that's why we decided my husband will come with and we'll make it a holiday NEXT year.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    The early bird price for an SA Athelete is R420 and regular price is R460.  Please understand that many South Africans earn minimum wage which is R3500 per month so the Comrades entry alone is more than 2 days wages let alone shoes, kit, accommodation, transport.  Many SA runners need to be sponsored by individuals, clubs, employers and CMA themselves.  There will be runners coming from tin shacks and minimum cost housing and they will sleep on the street for the chance to run.  We rely on the full community of runners to meet the cost of the event.  Please think of the international runner fees as a community tax enabling some of those in financial hardship to run.  This is just one example of what make this a great event.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

This event is amazing; I don't know of any other road race of this difficulty and length on good road where you can simply step over the line with nothing other than a vest, cap and shorts and be totally supported all that way. I worry for nothing all day other than my legs staying on. For that short time you are treated like a god. I forget what I've spent to enter and get to the start line but its worth every penny.

Jelly Bean, great to see you having recovered from the calamity on page one of this thread! Well done in Barcelona. My knees have always clicked; when I knelt down in our marriage ceremony the congregation thought the roof was caving in. I hope you don't have any loose bits that will cause you problems.

Physio said that the painful bit in my upper thigh was probably the only flexible piece I had left on that side, it is the rest of me I should be worried about - ha ha. Feeling pretty sore this morning after a heap of effort to release everything else the full length of that leg. I was trying to figure if I had kept running if I would have "worked all that out" anyway - probably not. So to add to the drama I have this horrible throat and achy head and a nose that won't clear and random fits of sneezes, it is most annoying but I don't feel like I can't run. Will do another stroll along the canal at lunch with the aim of staying "supple" - ha ha who am I kidding - they say it will rain at Manchester?

• If viewed as a whole it is expensive, but that's because we choose to travel internationally for a race, things like flights and accommodation do rack up but that is entirely our folly....

the race itself is remarkably reasonable... especially in light of the cost of some races in the UK (let alone triathlon/IM). I'm also happy as an international runner to pay a premium to allow diverse participation