Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - always a good feeling to get the last long one done - nice one ! 
  • Birch - being realistic I think I'm better off targeting sub 3:05 and setting off at 7 min miles. 

Sounds like a tough one G-Dawg. What's your goal for Boston?

Over in Bath this afternoon and tonight so taking in a spot of non-league football at the mo. Easy run planned for tomorrow, with some hill sprints so I'm in the right place. 
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    Leslie H said:

SSC Id translate that as damn quick  !

Sounds like we both use the same scientific terminology!!
    followed up yesterday's effort with my last longish run. Set out to do 15 at MP which felt nice and controlled even though legs were still feeling yesterday in them. Pace came out as 7:10 average so more than satisfied. Easy stuff over next two weeks.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gdawg nice to get the last big run out the way.
    Birch nice to see you getting a few fast reps in on those wooden legs .
    Lorenzo 3:05 is still a fine target , always a danger of going out to fast and coming home much slower than you are capable off,one that gives me the odd nightmare.
    SSC nice speedy 15 after your mini race against the clock,when is you mara again ? Not sure how you can put in a  6 min/mile from the off I can rarely exceed 9 min/mile my first one ...

22m this morn at 7:30 average :
    took a few mile to get going then the last 10m at around 7:10 except where the hills slowed me a bit ,the last 10 were the actual marathon course( walled city marathon ) with a lot of climbs to really test your legs late on in the race .I threw in an extra 4 mile of very tough hills in the first half  to copy the mara hill profile . Stepped into a rut on the side of the road letting  a car pass at one point and nearly went on my face and my ankle got a right old twist but think I got away with it ,time will tell.

83 mile for the week and 58 of those in the last 4 days ! It's been a tough week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking pace for a 22 Leslie!

Went for a 4 mile recovery just now which turned into a progressive - just felt like it. Splits were 7.07, 6.34, 6,22 and 6.14. If my maths is right, I think I got my first sub-20min 5k in the final 3 and a bit miles!  :D

Don't know where that came from as I was tired last night after the 21 yesterday.

Enjoy Bath, Lorenzo. In answer to your question, I'm going to do as many 7.00 min miles in Boston as I can yet knowing I'll fade and just see what happens.

I am now in taper!!  B)
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Awesome work by y'all.  Good to see GDawg playing it as cautiously as his genes will allow.  Glad you are in the taper now.  Have you thought about looking at pacing bands that are specific to Boston?  Or will you play it by ear (feel) on the day?

I am always impressed by your dedication, Birch.  Not in marathon mode and yet you still push yourself on tired legs to go faster in training.

SJ - huge congrats on the old git's GB vest.  That is an excellent achievement.  How you manage to train with a dicky hip is quite inspirational and a lesson in how to get the most value out of our joints.  :D

OO - well done on your Locke Park 20 podium prize!  Yay!  Old gits reign supreme!

Abbers - Yay! You have completed a solid marathon training cycle.  That is not to be sniffed at given how many of us end up with real life issues, family, injuries or illnesses intervening.  I look forward to seeing you get that PB you fully deserve.

Leslie - I hope you are looking after that ankle.  Excellent weekly mileage as ever with a solid paced LR to end it.  Just be careful with letting that ankle repair. It sounds minor but still...  I think I was probably too relaxed about my numerous ankle sprains and the constant straining of the ligaments was the cause of the eventual rupture.  Of course, I was so used to rolling the ankle, it never occurred to me I might have ruptured it when I did.  More training, racing and a marathon later and I can see that had I addressed it properly at the time, I might have not caused so much internal damage to the joint.  Anyway, mine is a worst case scenario but just look after that ankle! Ice!  Compress!  Elevate! At least for the first 24-48 hours then you can use it gently again. It won't hurt will it?  Got it?  Good.

That's a solid pace for a MLR ssc.  Great stuff.  The predictors are all estimates and I think how you feel counts the most.  If you are feeling confident then you are due a good race.  Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Your goal pace sounds very soft for you, Lorenzo but it won't hurt to go out conservatively.  Having run two marathons with you, I wonder if a slower start and gradual build up might get you a quicker time as your endurance is clearly your strength.  Most of your training has been done on Surrey hilly stuff so I think those paces are misleading.  You know how it should feel.  I think you will do well.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Phew. Busy few days with the MsEttes and just catching up now.  Yesterday MsEtte1 and MsEtte2 competed in the Modern Biathlon Schools Champs at Crystal Palace.  Lots of fun.  Lots of real life parodies of Competitive Dad there too ;-)  Both did well although MsEtte2's goggles slipped down her face during the swim so she had to do her 50m gagged.  But she coped admirably and came out smiling.  MsEtte1's team won the bronze medal which made the schlep and day there all worthwhile.  I then took them for a ski lesson at Sandown Ski School as we are off to the Alps on Wednesday.  They skied a bit while we lived in California but not much so the lessons (they had two) will hopefully help give them a head start.  Not sure how MsEsq will manage with his dislocated shoulder.  We saw a consultant on Friday who was depressingly uninspiring and poked him a bit before saying we needed an MRI (note: this was the reason I took him there).  Hopefully the holiday in the snow will cheer him up but the poor lad is missing his sport Big Time and very glum.

As for me: more yoga, more pilates, the odd run here and there. I miss the trails and longer outings but can't really do it the way my ankle feels. So just an hour or under. Today was 7@7:42 min/mi.  As I can't do fast stuff, I practise form and smell the roses.

Happy mother's day to all you mothers out there.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And if you are lurking, Jools, I am thinking of  you and hope you are healing and managing to fit it all in. Sending you all my good luck vibes for the final push for the marathon.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

MSE well done to the family- sounds like you have your hands full.

Gerard, the prize was £50, covers petrol and race entry so a free ride.

I ran 19:07 at the parkrun, not bad after a hard week. But I imploded on the Sunday LSR and had to stop after 16, so 48 for the week.

Not sure how I feel with 4 weeks to go until VLM. How is everybody feeling on their marathon prospects?  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    MsE - good work by your lot -  MsEtte2 dealt very well with the goggles mishap, and nice podium for  MsEtte1's team . You continue to deal with your curtailed running in admirable fashion - enjoy the holiday, and particularly hope MsEsq  does so !  

Tremendous weekly total, Leslie - topped by the 22 !  

G-Dawg - things looking really good  . . . . 

just 3 easy miles today, after y'day's harder session - 35 for the week.  
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - Nice prize winnings and a decent parkrun too. What went wrong on your LR?

MsE - Full on stuff with the family but good stuff. You'd be wise to keep away from trail running until your ankle feels stronger. 

Leslie - Cracking 22 and great to do a reccy of the course. Another big week banked.

G-Dawg - Nice pacey progressive 4 miler. I hope you manage the taper well.

Birch - How is your daughter getting on? One week to go now. 

Lorenzo - It would be great if you could get another pb this year. 

I've had a decent weekend of running. 10k yesterday in awful wind again. 7:17 average and 8 miles today in more wind, average pace 7:07. I just completed registration for Amsterdam and booked flights. I now just need to configure a practical if unconventional training plan to get me in tip top shape come October. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - thanks - my daughter currently undergoing "taper paranoia" .  Had telephone conversation this evening along the lines of "I'm losing my fitness etc etc  . . . ."  

to my mind, things ok - she's prepared well enough (enough long runs, I believe) for a first attempt - included the half marathon pb, then the duffer  on tired legs at Inter Counties XC, but got the 21 done next day, followed by 13 the following Thurs, and 5K parkrun PB 2 days later (last week) of 19:42, so fingers x'd  !

So, Amsterdam is on ! Excellent stuff, and keep us updated with your "unconventional" training plan !  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lucky your daughter has you around as a wise head Birch during the crazy taper days.

Great news on Amsterdam Gerard, that's one I may attempt one day- I lived there for a year and know how flat it is. The LR came at the end of   week where I had back loaded, attempting 40 miles in 3 days. The wheels came off at 16 and pace dropped to 9 min/miles and my hips got quite sore. I decided it wasn't worth the pain to eek out a couple more and fell short of my 50 target.

I'm in Switzerland this week with Mrs OO, packing up the apartment for a move back to UK. A few decent runs planned to say farewell to the place. Another chapter comes to an end. Back to Blighty and a year to go till I retire.  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gdawg sounds like you have you plan for Boston all sorted.
    Mse advice duly noted on ankle ,no pain at the time and seems good this morn thanks.Well done the younuns and enjoy the snow.
    0054 we all have days like that.
    Birch no better man to offer mara advice to your daughter !
    Gerard looking forward to hearing of this crazy plan you are cooking.

8 easy this morn to start the week.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SJ - Did you really describe the Tour du Mont Blanc as a jolly?! Sounds like a killer!
    OO - nice bonus with the 3rd place prize. Enjoy your running in Switzerland for one last week.
    Leslie - sleeping in seems to make you slower ;) Good 16 and 22 milers. Tough week indeed! Hope the ankle is okay. Good easy start to the week.
    Abbers - I had exactly the same thought about PMJ's 3:20 jog!
    ssc - good progress with your 3 mile homeward bound leg. Promising final longish run too.
    GM - good pace for your run up the long steep hill. Not too many of them in Amsterdam!
    Lorenzo - good 18 miler - 7:12 m/m is just under 3:09.
    GD - good pace for 21 miles after that tough 9 miler. Quick recovery though ;)
    Birch - hope your legs find a bit more spring in their step today.
    MsE - have fun in the Alps, but be careful!
    6 mile plod on Saturday and a rest on Sunday made 53 for the week. And another plod this morning - 10 miles.
  • Southern 12 stage road relays on Saturday: short leg so under 5km which meant a long day out or a short run but pace was better than parkrun even with a sloping course and strong wind. 10 easy yesterday in the sun along the Thames.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

ssc - looking very good for Brighton, looking forward to you finishing a good few minutes down the road!

Big week from Leslie - impressive totals.

GD - welcome to taper madness! You sound like your training has put you in a good place fitness-wise though.

MsE - sounds like a fun active weekend for you & the family! Thanks for the encouraging words; you're right in that completing the 18 week training plan is a feat in itself. Need to avoid the illness that is currently doing the rounds in the house...

OO - not every run goes smoothly. You're good enough and experienced enough to know you can write that off as not being a true reflection of your ability and fitness. Enjoy your last week in Switzerland!

GM - 8 in just over 7mm is a good fitness indicator. All being well, you should be in very good shape by the autumn.

Birch - pretty sure your daughter will be fine, as long as she listens to your sage words of advice and reassurance!

Gul - good to see you getting back into the 50mpw bracket.

Apologies to anyone I've missed.

So last long(ish) run on Saturday, early and unfuelled as normal. Meant to be 16, ended up being 15 with the last 3 a real drag after cruising the first 12 around 8mm and then feeling generally lethargic & worn out. Think the training is just catching up with me, and turns out I was significantly dehydrated too, so not worrying too much about it. 42 for the week. 32 on the cards for this week as I enter week 17/18, hoping it helps freshen me up. Also a final sports massage on Friday night to iron out any kinks, then just about there! Extra training yesterday was a day on my feet queueing round Legoland with MrsA and the MsAs.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Abbers- hope you are feeling stronger after Saturday. I ran 6 today and still felt tired and drained. A beautiful sunny afternoon though and a farewell run around my town as I pack up the apartment for my departure from Switzerland this week.

Seems quiet on here hope you are all ticking over nicely.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Evening all.  Beet totally AWOL but only because this is a really busy time at work and have been trying to stay focused on that.  *yawn*

OO I said on fb but well done for that great 5k pb a couple of weeks ago.  Totes amaze-balls! And nice work at Locke Park too.

Laughing that you didn't manage to convince Mrs L that a HM would be a nice end to you romantic weekend Lorenzo! Mind you when we did a tour of Washington DC, NY and Boston for our 25th Anniversary I managed to wangle the Marine Corp Marathon at the start of the trip!

Good to see Gul back on the road and MsE getting some running in there too. 

I did the Kielder Dark Skies half last night (almost 15 miles actually).  I completely loved it.  Made better by a promising run and picked up first V40 and 4th lady.  Well pleased.  It was a perfect night - cold and still and very dark! The track around Keilder is very runnable and I liked the hills. Looking back on the route and seeing headtorches dotted in the forest made it very magical.  Would definitely do it again and was completely buzzing at the end. 

Happy Days!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - Your daughter is in a good place with her current form and her wise Dad to keep her nerves at bay. The training is done and I hope she runs well and enjoys it. 

OO - It must be tough to say goodbye to Switz. You and my sister have lived in many of the same spots. Her hubby was on a 5 year sabbatical from the Police force, he was promoted to inspector before she was assigned to Brussels 5 years ago and is now officially jobless but she got a great offer so good for them. I'm looking forward to seeing Amsterdam and visiting a country I've not been to and no better way to see it than to run around the city. Who knows they might end up in Geneva next post. : )

Leslie - A nice easy 8 to start the week. 

Abbers- It's normal to feel a bit fatigued when entering the taper zone! You've had a good campaign, you'll be grand come race day.

Minni - Well done on the V40 win and a great overall placing, sounds like you really enjoyed that. Nice!

Gul - A good start to the week with a 10 mile run/ Yes, no hills in The Dam. I do enjoy training on hills but I much prefer a flat road to race on. 

Rest day for me today, it was gloriously sunny and felt warm about 17.5c and I was dying to go for a run on the beach but I decided to rest the legs. I'll run tomorrow and do one last hard session on Wednesday with a view to a mini taper for Sunday. I'm praying for less wind along that promenade come Sunday. 15mph is a good day along there so I'd take that. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gul nice 10m they all count 
    PMJ nice sunny 10m
    Abbers 15 is near enough.
    0054 I suspect your feeling drained has more to do with leaving your old stomping ground than anything else.
    Minni nice to get a bit of bling,shows you are on your way back.
    Gerard 17c and sunny Id take that.
    8 easy this morn realised Id forgot my lunchbox just as I got to work so had to go back home which made things a bit tight for time.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - good, if brief, outing at the road relays.
    Abbers - take it easy now; not long to go!
    OO - any thoughts on where you'd like to live in retirement?
    Minni - congratulations; sounds like you are on top form.
    GM - hope the weather is kind for you on Sunday.
    Leslie - I guess you weren't running to work then?! An extra 16 miles would make you quite late I imagine!
    My sore throat/cough is back yet again, but chest/lungs okay so no reason to keep me from running at the moment. So 7 miles at plod pace this morning. Forgot to whinge yesterday about British Summer Time.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gul I drive to work the 4 miles then run from work its the only way I can make things work for me given the lack of time in the morn ,16m and Id be going back to bed ! Shame the lurgy is back again.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Quick comment then read back. 
    Went to the club tonight and the session was a 5k time trial. I saw my chance, time to run the exact distance and get that elusive sub-20.
    Bagged a 19.03 which is 6.03 pace. Splits were 6.05, 6.09, 6.02 and 45 for the 0.1.

I now need to do it in a race but the signs are good. I'll take that after a weekend of long hard running.
  • G-Dawg said:
    Quick comment then read back. 
    Went to the club tonight and the session was a 5k time trial. I saw my chance, time to run the exact distance and get that elusive sub-20.
    Bagged a 19.03 which is 6.03 pace. Splits were 6.05, 6.09, 6.02 and 45 for the 0.1.

I now need to do it in a race but the signs are good. I'll take that after a weekend of long hard running.
    You don't need a sub-20, you need a sub-19!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - 19:03 in a time trial is very decent, well done. Was that 12.5 laps of the track then? In a race you'd most likely be closer to 18 than 20.

Gul - Shame you've got the lurgy again but hopefully it's a mild dose. 

Leslie - A stressful start to the day like that is not ideal. It's supposed to rise to 19c here by Thursday. I hope so as I fancy a nice barefoot run along the beach on lunch and maybe a dip of the ankles in the sea too. 

Double run for me today. 5k along the prom 6:50 pace and then a 10k tonight 7:30 pace. Lovely conditions today, warm, sunny but with a light breeze to keep cool. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gdawg that a great 5k time you will dip into the 18's no problem now 
    Gerard nice double , I did a double yesterday too with 6m last night to give me 14m for the day.
    8.5m this morn on tired legs , half on saturday again but no cutback this time.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - excellent time-trial. Sub 19 next time!
    GM - good double on your tropical island.
    Leslie - will be interesting to see how you do this Saturday on tired legs.
    11 miles this morning, 6 slow (8:43) & 5 easy (8:21) . No fog today, but drizzle instead. Lurgy seems to be affecting my HR - avg 154 max 224!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gul Id say you need a new hr monitor ,nice 11m.
    I'm not out for a pb on saturday plan is 5 warmup before the race then 6:40's and hang on as long as I can ,it could get messy  as I will have had 4 x 5am starts this week (mon to thurs)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gul - Another double digit run banked. I hope you manage to shake that lurgy soon. Your HR readings are off the chart. 

Leslie - Those early shifts sound tough. Good luck for Saturday. 

A hard session for me tonight. Met up with a friend who is doing Rotterdam Sunday week and he's in great shape so the plan was to get a tow off him when the going got tough.
    10 min w/u and then into the reps. The plan was to do 3 x 2 mile reps with 5 min walk/jog recoveries and the target was 12:34 for each rep (6:17 mm pace). We ran along the promenade where the 10k will take place, so it's 2 miles out and then back and back out again. Conditions were ok with a 15mph wind. The reps were 12:29 (6:15/6:14), 12:35 (6:18/6:17) and 12:37 (6:19/6:18). We did a 2 mile w/d jog back and I could certainly feel that one in my legs at the end. Each rep was gradually slower and the last one was hard. It was the 1st time I've tried 2 mile reps and I have to say it was a tough session, both mentally and physically. It will be interesting to see how the body feels tomorrow and the next day after day. That will be it for me now other than a few super easy runs until Sunday.