VLM 2017

Any other Pirates doing VLM this year?
Tagged:

Comments

• yep I am... Cougie and IronRose too... and I think PoshTwat as well
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • And me... big dilemma, trained hard (running 80+mpw) for sub 3 last spring, got injured (2 stress fractures) which screwed my sub 3 attempt.  Managed to 'get round' IM Wales with strong swim and bike and a borked 'no run' training run/shuffle!

Decided to do early IM this year (Lanza) on the back of the Wales training before focussing back on a sub 3 attempt in the autumn.  I have a London GFA place but was going to use it just as a training run.

However, out of no-where I seem to be having a major purple patch with running, not sure if it is a result of all the bike training but I've hit 5k, 10k and HM PB's in the last few weeks and, having done a 83 minute HM last weekend feel I *have* to go for a sub 3 attempt in London as I may never get that chance again.

However, with London just 4 weeks before Lanza that may not be the wisest move... Hey ho!
  • It really depends on which is more important to you. If you are happy just to complete Lanza then go for it at London. Either way if you do anything more than an easy paced run at London it will probably compromise your performance at Lanza.
  • I ran Paris mara last year, 6 weeks before Lanza, and it found me out on the second half of the run.... With hindsight, It wasn't the residual tiredness from the marathon, but more the focus on run in training, that left me short on bike hours and made it too hard. I won't do it again... I reckon you need 3 months gap if you want to do well at both...
  • Interesting comments regarding the time between completing marathon and IM, I'm doing London GFA and then Lakesman in June with outlaw half at the end of may which I intend to complete as a long training day. For previous IM years I would have been at higher bike mileage at this point in the plan although my long bikes are at a higher intensity this year. I may have got a bit carried away with run training up to this point even though my "A"  race is the Lakesman.

Anyone ran GFA before? If so do you get a decent opportunity to get out in front of the ballot/charity runners that have gone off too quickly before it combines together. I'm hoping for Sub 3:10 - 3:14

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    GFA at London means you're starting right at the front, you're not going to be held up too much. I ran sub-3:10 last year (just) from green GFA start, and if I'd wanted or been able to go faster, it wasn't congestion that stopped me. You'll be fine.
  • Will be there but not running... Tour guiding again ;)
  • I think I'll probably compromise both to some extent.  I should be in c2:57/58 shape but will probably just go for 2:59:30 to 'tick the box' whilst I'm in that shape.  All be it only 60-90 seconds slower that will hopefully save my legs a bit!

Re Lanza I'll be happy enough to 'just get round' of course I'll want to do my best, but will this race, much like Wales, its not really one you sign up for looking to get a PB in is it?!  And... I think I might have just got a pass to do the 226 as well :)
  • Phil, for what its worth saving 1 minute  won't make any difference to you legs. I asked my coach about this as I am doing Lakesman too and wondered if instead of going for a sub 3 I just went for a 3:14:59. My coach said that 15 minutes extra on a fast marathon wouldn't make any difference in terms how it much it would compromise my efforts for lakesman. So I decided to just go for the best time possible at london. TBH I am not feeling like a sub 3 will happen as I have been Tri training more than Mara training.
  • I agree it won't make much difference I'm just hope it makes a smidge of difference.  I guess I'm quite lucky in that generally my recovery time is very good.   Even after my hardest marathons or HM's I'm generally out the next day for a recovery run and 2 -3 days later you wouldn't have known I've raced.  In the last week I've PB'd a few turbo courses in the few days since my HM effort (which in itself was a 4m PB).

I guess a 2:59 marathon means a lot more to me at the moment than a 13:xx, 14:xx, 15:xx... IM Lanza does - to me, its almost not the recovery from London that will be the issue (though I expect it to takes its toll in the Lanza run) but it'll be the fact that to taper properly for London  and then not really having time to pick up the training after before tapering for Lanza the Lanza training will really stop a month before the race. I really want to give Lanza my best shot too, but I suppose whilst I 'recognise' a HM / marathon time, (and maybe as its as I've always been very much middle of the pack) I've never really cared too much over a IM time, its been much more about simply completing it in the best I can do - which this year might be the best I can do after a hard marathon.

What start are you off?  Are you in red FGFA presuming so if you're between sub 3 & 3:15?
  • I'm in the green start area Phil 
  • Do we want to try to have a Pirate meet up post race?
  • sounds good to me!
  • MC, Flat Footed suggested somewhere in trafalger square

• You lot will probably miss the last train home if you wait for FF to finish ;)
  • Don't know that part of London well enough to know, so happy to go with more informed advice!
  • I'm not doing it this year actually Raf so there.

The Chandos pub on the north east corner or T. Square is a good place to meet after
  • there you are.. sorted!... are you coming into town to spectate FF?
  • To we have any proposed finish/Chandos times?

• MC that's the plan, depends on work changing my plans but at the moment I'm up for it
  • Yep, i'm in. Also GFA. Sunny i'm planning to set off on a sub 90 HM and then ease off to get another  GFA place 3:04 for next year. I ran my sub 3 at Brighton last year 5 weeks before Lanza. It destroyed me for that as after a few days rest I tore my hamstring doing an easy parkrun the weekend after. Then no running until Lanza. If your intending on sub 3 all i'd say is make sure you ease back into the running very easy indeed following the VLM if Lanza is the aim.

FF is right about Chandos, by Charring Cross and T Square. Been there last few years. Pirate HQ afterparty!!!
  • Sounds like there will be quite a pirate outing at VLM!  Are we allowed to wear our Pirate vests / Tech T's or is that against the rules?!!

Posh T Hopefully see you in the FGFA pen before too!

I'm a bit gutted I couldn't find an earlier marathon to do to give a bit more time but realistically there was only Manchester and that didn't work logistically.

Looking forward to it, and a few beers after now!

• Well, I'll be wearing my pirate kit!!!!
  • I'm running too. I'm onthe green start and will definitely be wearing yellow n black!
  • Posh T said:
    Yep, i'm in. Also GFA. Sunny i'm planning to set off on a sub 90 HM and then ease off to get another  GFA place 3:04 for next year. I ran my sub 3 at Brighton last year 5 weeks before Lanza. It destroyed me for that as after a few days rest I tore my hamstring doing an easy parkrun the weekend after. Then no running until Lanza. If your intending on sub 3 all i'd say is make sure you ease back into the running very easy indeed following the VLM if Lanza is the aim.

FF is right about Chandos, by Charring Cross and T Square. Been there last few years. Pirate HQ afterparty!!!

I think you get 2 years from a GFA anyway so even if you don't make the time this year you can apply again with your Brighton time next year. At least that's what I have been told.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^   'tis true.
  • Posh T said:
    Yep, i'm in. Also GFA. Sunny i'm planning to set off on a sub 90 HM and then ease off to get another  GFA place 3:04 for next year. I ran my sub 3 at Brighton last year 5 weeks before Lanza. It destroyed me for that as after a few days rest I tore my hamstring doing an easy parkrun the weekend after. Then no running until Lanza. If your intending on sub 3 all i'd say is make sure you ease back into the running very easy indeed following the VLM if Lanza is the aim.

I think you get 2 years from a GFA anyway so even if you don't make the time this year you can apply again with your Brighton time next year. At least that's what I have been told.

I think the two year rule only applies if you don't take the option to run under GFA the first year. That's my understanding anyway. But if not, happy days.
  • ^^^^ that's not right, a time that qualifies you for GFA is good for two VLMs, regardless of whether you take a GFA place the first time.* 

*assuming that the rules don't change, of course. 

A bit late here, but I'll be at VLM.  Not sure how it'll go, probably a bit of a jaunt round as the main target is Boston the week before. 

Phil just needs to go for it.  Get sub 3, then just swim & bike for a couple of weeks, no running.  Yes, Lanza time won't be what it might have been but unless you're chasing a Kona slot or a particular milestone time then it's not really that big a deal, despite what the triathlon coaches say.