Manchester Marathon 2017

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ron - one of my friends volunteers at Manchester and is manning the 18-19 mile aid station so I've shot him a message.  I ran it in 4:44:37 last year and had no problem getting what I needed so I imagine they'll have enough for everyone but I'll let you know what he says.

Rachey, I hope you feel better. If you can't run or just can't run as well as you hoped, you could always do Liverpool with me at the end of May.

Nerves haven't really kicked in yet, although when I set out for my run today I did imagine being hit by a car quite vividly. I was very careful crossing the roads... Rather warm out today too. I did 4 miles easy. I know Manchester is colder than London but I'm definitely considering club vest only (no long sleeved top under). It will be quite warm by the time I'm in the latter stages of the race.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Nell - I've got no real idea but it's normally better to be too early than too late. At London last year I got a coach organised by my club so didn't have to worry about timings - we were really early though. I think it's one of those things, if you are there in plenty of time then it seems like you hang around for ages, but if you're a little later then the queues for everything (loos, bag drop) are longer so you don't have much spare time. I was thinking if I aim to get there at 7:30, it says 10 min walk to race village so I should be there by about, 7:45, then I plan to use loo, remove trousers/jacket, hand in bag, use loo again (if needed), and I think it said about 10 min walk to start line, so that prob gives me about half an hour to spare to try and meet up with you lot and/or in case anything takes longer than it should. On that note, here's a pic of me from a recent race, I'll be wearing the same kit (I'm #501) http://www.charleswhittonphotography.com/photo30469511.html

Did 5.5 miles at target MP last night, harder work than I would like but wasn't ideal prep and I set off a little too fast so not too bad all things considered. Need to make sure I ease into it on Sunday, going off too fast is a common mistake for me. Am trying to tell myself that running 25s slower than target in the first mile is fine as it's only 1s/mile to make up but running the first mile 25s faster than target might ruin my race!
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Hi Ron, I'm one of those who run at the back of the pack. I've not run Manchester before though so I don't have experience with this particular marathon, but for the others I've run (London and Brighton) the official stations always looked liked they had stuff. Saying that, I'm picky about my gels and only run with HIGH5 isos. I've usually run with enough for my whole run and had family at the halfway mark to throw me a few more just in case. 

Vodkabob and Little Nell, at least I'm not the only one! And yes, I'm also rather distracted while at work too! 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Latest taper madness question:

I found the pacers page on the website http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/athlete-info/asics-pacers/ , where it says what the pace will be for each pacer in terms of mins/mile. For most of the pacers this equates to coming in just a few seconds under the target time, but for some reason the 3:15 pacers will apparently run at 7:20/mile, which would see them come in at 3:12:08. I would have thought they would be aiming for 7:26/mile, to come in at 3:14:45. Does anyone know if it's a typo or why they would be aiming to run faster?
  • Nick - you are very observant! Sounds like a typo.

Do doritos and chipsticks count as carb loading? My daughter's birthday...not my usual diet  :p

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just an update, Ron - my friend on the aid station says they "should" have enough for the slower runners.
  • Rachey - hope you feel better in time!

Cal
    - you're lucky... my stomach has joined with the uber-nerves... not great :angry:

Aber - hope the birthday party was good :smiley:

Nick... now that is attention to detail!!!

I watched the countdown timer on the website tick past 2 22 2 22 (days hours minutes seconds) today at work (eeek!!!) whilst also looking on street view at where my running work colleague will be marshalling... turns out there's a large number of speed bumps on the road where he is (Henrietta Street at about 1.5 miles)... so watch your feet on that stretch!!!

Following Nick's lead... for those meeting at the loos, this is what I look like and will be wearing exactly the same kit:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lymmrunners/32457704854/in/album-72157677560935323/
    In case anyone's wondering - I'm 586 LOL :lol:
  • Aber....  how are you travelling up?  For me, it's train from Hereford (that will have called in at Aber)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    <-- me. Plus the "Cal" on my number is a bit of a give away.
    Although I may be sporting a bin bag at the start. :lol:
    Good news for me - the friend I'm staying with no longer has to work so he can drive me to the race. Hurrah.
  • I've been proudly crowing about having a room within 100m of the start (The Victoria Warehouse Hotel).  But last night I thought..."I'll have a look at the Tripadvisor reviews".  OMG, I wish I hadn't!!
  • NE - I'm on the train too   :) Staying in the city centre as thought it would be easier to be near Piccadilly.

Need to eat a more nutritious diet today after all the crisps yesterday   :D

Cal - good to have a lift to the start. Will your friend be meeting you to support you on the route?
  • @NorthEnder - I've stayed at the Victoria Warehouse and it's not too bad. Doors slam a little so might be worth taking ear plugs. Have you a room with a window? I didn't and certainly had no trouble sleeping through my alarm!!!! You are literally 3 min run from the start so no need to queue for race area toilets
  • Cal - thanks for the info.
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Didn't know that building is the Victoria warehouse. great location for the race tho, couldn't be closer to the start line. just make sure you shove some cotton wool in your ears gents.  :D I'm sure you will be fine, hope it works out well for you. ;)

• Weather looks almost perfect for Sunday - no wind, no rain and between 9-12 degrees Celsius. 47 hours till the start. Can't wait.
  • Good Morning All hope everyone is managing to stay calm before Sunday, I find that the few days before a marathon are the worse, just want to get going..........

Please accept my apologies if this question has been asked before in the thread, however after looking at the race route, it appears to take a different route for at least 3 miles at the start ?? I understand about the re routing in Altrincham, but according to ASICS General Info page......

"The ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon in Trafford on the SAME super fast course that is the flattest marathon course in the UK and one of the flattest in the world."

It's the wording of SAME that has thrown me ???

I know I won't be leading at any stage throughout the run, but I'll think you'll agree, it's nice to know where ya going :p

Thanks in advance
    Rick
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Rickter - I think they are using poetic license when they say "SAME"...I'm sure the route will be well marked.

Nell - I did London last year, there were speed bumps near the start and some marshals whose job it was to repeatedly shout "BUMPS" or "HUMPS" to warn people. It made me giggle at the time :D
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    NE - Lol!
    Excited here to, and must stop working out indicative splits - its sooo easy to run a race on paper.  Staying with my brother-in-laws family in Sale and within of the course at mile 9 so my wife and son will make their first appearance since London in 2007 to give me a cheer.    Will hopefully make the rendev'loo' around 8.15-8.30 sporting a blue fleece splattered in white paint, black lycra shorts, black calf sleeve, white adidas boost shoes.  Conditions and the buzz feel great for Sunday.  GLA.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Weather forecast still looks suspiciously good - if I'm being picky it's a few degrees warmer than I would like (ideal for me is around 5 degree I reckon), but other than that it's perfect. This is the current forecast for Sale, which is about the middle of the route I reckon (geographically). Previously they were saying some heavy rain today, but that seems to have mostly disappeared as well.

• Morning all... *checks - yes, it is still morning*. I've got today and Monday off work so just relaxing at the moment - had a lie-in until 09:00... oh, the luxury!!!

Safe travels to all those arriving from further afield.

Cal - I always feel a bit self conscious staring at people's chests trying to see their name or number - although, that's generally about my eye level :smiley: Good news about your lift being available, that should reduce some of the stress in the morning.

Rickter - the nice folk of Chorlton Runners are marshalling the early stages so I'm sure they'll see us right... although my friend didn't mention anything about being told to shout "hump"! LOL He was more concerned about stopping local motorists from driving out onto the route and mowing down runners!!!

Martin, NE - the wind is REALLY strong where I am at the moment (a bit south of Manchester - but not much) I can actually hear it whistling around the house... hoping your wind predictions are correct and it drops away on the day - warm, cold, wet, dry... all fine, but wind is a nightmare!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Nell - the forecast I looked at said very windy today (30 mph gusts), a bit less tomorrow and a lot less on Sunday.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-I know what you mean about looking at people's chest, ever since that time with the police ....  :D
    Weather is looking really good at the minute,really hope it stays like that.Little warn toward the end but far better than win.
    Easy 5 miles yesterday and that's pretty much me done,still feel OK so will give it a go and see how it feels,would rather a dnf than regret trying and finding I could have coped.
    Good luck for everyone last jogs,and those of you travelling up tomorrow.
  • Thanks, Nick - I accidentally assigned your weather update to NE... brain is cabbaged at the moment!

I've just walked a mile and half or so round the corner to collect my car after its MOT - even in that space of time the wind has dropped considerably. Now it's REALLY hot in the sun... how very Goldilocks... too windy, too hot, too salty... think I need to go and lie down in baby bear's bed!

Re: the meet up... we've been saying by the loos - but I assume there will be loads of toilets along or near Brian Statham Way and Warwick Road so should we specify at the steps of the Town Hall as they are a very specific place... otherwise we could all end up lurking by different banks of toilets!? :smiley:
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    with this forecast I think I'll be giving the skins undertop a miss and just going with the vest. Just have to make sure I use plenty of Vaseline so I don't get a repeat of this : https://www.instagram.com/p/BLgEgEKDT4R/?taken-by=rob__ayre NOTE: I did apply it before this race, just clearly not enough!!!
  • LOL... Ian - you posted as I was typing... enjoy the football tomorrow - who're you watching?

Yikes vodka - that looks painful!!! I do feel sorry for blokes and their nipple issues... I've never been aware of any ladies who've suffered in a similar way - the benefits of good corsetry!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    VodkaBob - Its plasters you need - I learn't the hard way too with a  white running vest.
    LittleNell - Someone did mention the Town Hall steps.....
    Apparently, the race is going to be on the telly - Channel 4 7 am 8th April.
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
     vodka bob, ouch that looks nasty :s and as ouch has advised; it is defo plasters you need. Vaseline rubs off. ;)
  • Ouch - I think it was Ian who mentioned the Town Hall steps originally...

So - for all the planned loo lurkers... the Town Hall steps at somewhere around 08:00 - 08:15 :smile:
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Is the planned loo-lurking before or after using the bag drop?
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I think I'll bag drop first... in my mind it goes: park in N2 East at ~07:30(ish), walk up to cricket ground and join queue for bag drop ~07:45, drop bag and head to Town Hall steps ~08:00-08:15, ~08:20 do some warming up on way to start pens...