Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    At risk of busting the myth "there are no stupid questions", what's the 3 legged stool symbol represent ?

Ahh... this is a grand ol' tradition. it's related to the Bristol Stool Chart but for reasons of decency you couldn't put a big poo on a flag so a literal stool was chosen.

There's a whole story of the flags and the t-shirts that's worth listening to as well :)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    At risk of busting the myth "there are no stupid questions", what's the 3 legged stool symbol represent ?
    As Emmy has said it was inspired by a long running forum joke and references to the Bristol Stool Chart. It's also easily identifiable, as for some reason no nation on the planet has decided to put a stool on their flag!
  • Brilliant, I can see myself sniggering around Paris whenever I see it, in fact I'm sniggering now:)
    Madhu - thanks for that.  I've paid £20 but my dr still hasn't signed so definitely a back up.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Stools are very easy to spot as well as they are unique
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Definitely. If you had a 'generic' GB flag you'd probably miss 'your' flag as there are hundreds in the crowd.

I can second RR's recommendation if you have family going with you to join the supporters crew. They really do know the best places to be and it's such a fun day!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Another thing you supports can do if they want to waive a flag is buy a flag of the county you live in. There is very little chance that there will be others on the course so will be easy to spot. 

When I'm supporting my wife, as she runs with her phone we use the app find my iPhone and I can see exactly where she is. We used it in London last year and I didn't miss her at any point and is much easier than keeping on looking at every runner. 
  • Yes, the Stool logo has become a very useful rallying point, as others have mentioned it's unique and it's easy to spot from a distance.

The different colours relate to the different nationalities of people we've had on this thread, so blue and white for Scotland, red green and white for Wales, black yellow and red for Belgium, black and white for NZ, green and yellow for Australia etc etc.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    You may also see shirts, in a variety of colours, with this on the back. Say Hi, as they will be Paris Thread people - old and new. 

• 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there are lockers anywhere at the beginning to leave your things?

i guess not but worth asking. I haven't seen it on the previous pages. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    1992km - I'm not aware of any lockers near the start. I know somebody has said there are some at Gard du Nord station. There is a bag drop at near the start area.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I see they've released pictures of the finishers top and medal for this year. They've gone for a black finishers shirt this time and the medal looks very similar to the 2015 medal.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I like it, I really want one!

I prefer black running tops. I haven't been able to get my Parkrun 100 one yet from over a year ago as they haven't had them in stock every-time I've checked. I think that is a nice looking medal too. 

I just hope they have some left by the time I get to the end, and that they are still giving them out by then.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's 'dark grey' nor black. At least that's what the marathon organiser is saying in response to anyone complaining they don't like black on Facebook!

I think I like the t-shirt and medal. I really liked last years, but that's a bit of a sore point for me... :(
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Now this is a medal and t-shirt I could wear!! It has to be the year I'm not there. 
  • CMT81CMT81 ✭✭
    Hey all! I can't believe how quickly this marathon has creeped up on me! Managed max 18 miles a few weeks ago and that will have to do.

Only ran 1 marathon before (Edinburgh) and panicked at mile 19 then struggled at the last 7 making it in 4:36. This time I've read loads of books/message boards like this and I feel I'm more prepared! 

Anyway my pen is 4:15, if I get near 4 I'll be delighted. Hopefully catch up with some of you for celebratory drinks afterwards! 
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Omg you have started the countdown and I've seen minions and flags, feeling sad and jealous at the same time! The best of luck you lot, can't wait to see the vid at the end.
    Katey don't worry you will get through, you know you want to! Just channel the nerves and as the others said rest. I'm sure it will be okay. I've still managed to finish a marathon when my longest run was 16 miles, it can be done.
  • Ref Paracetamol. My doc who has been looking after my well being suggested that I take qty, 2 15 mins before the gun fires and then, if I remember, take another 2 at my 4 hour point. Been using this medication on numerous long distance run/walks.
  • Haha - I must have put sub 3 down when I applied. Blind optimism has ended me up in the red starting pen.

I have literally no chance of starting at a pace that I can finish at.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Graham - You can change pens at the expo if you want.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    It is true that you can change pens at the expo. I thought I had read somewhere that if you are moving down a start area, i.e. to a slower pace, then you don't need to change your bib. But I can't find it anywhere.

But I did find this marathon guide that I think is quite a recent update. Has a lot of the usual stuff but all in one place.
    http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/egp/marathon-de-paris/guide-du-marathonien-uk.pdf
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    That is handy thanks. So the cut off finish time is 16:15 so if I can get in the blue pen I'll have around seven and a half hours to run it in as opposed to the six hours starting in the pink pen. I just hope that they let me change my starting pen!

They said to me you can change pens at the expo:

We will make the change in the “Salon du Running”,  Porte de Versailles at the information, picking up options, please come after you collect your bib.

If you want to start in the Elite or Preferential start range, you will need to present proofs to do these changes (diploma or results on an half-marathon or a marathon). Don't forget to bring them printed with you.

You don’t need to do any modification if you want to run in more time, you will be able to go, the day of the race, directly in the following start ranges.

The modification of the start range will be possible only if there are still places in this pen range.

• TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    hi we did it last year and there were no problems-they put a sticker on the bib
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    That's been the procedure for years. They just stick a different coloured sticker on your bib.

I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to change their pen at the expo.
  • This time next week  :)
    Are we excited yet?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    This time next week I'll be there and expo'd. Really looking forward to next weekend.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    The weather forecast is a hot 17 degrees and sunny cloudless skies. 

Just thinking about next weekend makes me want to throw up a little bit!
  • For those who did the breakfast run last year, how long did it last for the run + breakfast?