Manchester Marathon 2017

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes I mentioned the steps,only because we could use the toilet's inside the town hall and they were proper toilets not portaloos. It's just at the edge of the race village and an easy walk to the start pens. 
    Nell-Off to watch Tranmere at wrexham,but rubbish I can't drink but will put up with it.
    Last year it was streamed live on YouTube, not sure if it is this year though. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think the fact sports bras tend to hold the boobs in place prevent any nipple issues for the ladies but they can chafe in different areas. I still have some scarring on my solar plexus and underboobs from one of my 20 milers and that was from a bra top that had never caused issues before. So yeah, I'll have to grease those puppies along with my groin. At least I've never had a toenail drop off...

Just had my pre-race massage. I wanted to run this morning but didn't - however I may do a quick jog around the block tomorrow just to stop my legs from siezing up since I'll be sat on my arse on a train in the afternoon.
  • Agreed Cal - during the height of marathon training I have looked like I've had chest surgery. A good expensive bra is well worth it.

I'm currently sat in the Manchester sun like a cat. So nice.

Good tip about the town hall loos Ian.
  • Good Lord, Ian - you're a Tranmere supporter!? I've only ever met one other in my life (but I house-shared with him for most of my poly/uni days) ... and that's even with working on the Wirral for seven years! :smiley:

Cal, Coop - I too have a permanent mark across my upper abdomen - but it's just below my bra strap and from my soft-strap heart rate monitor... wouldn't go without it though - and it doesn't hurt it just rubs away. I plan to use a strategically positioned Compede on Sunday.

Coop - it's clouded over where I am now - so enjoy the while you can... I can't see any more blue sky around, it's all a bank of grey :/

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-There's not too many of us but in certain areas of the wirral there's a few but it tends to be the rougher areas so not areas you would have frequented I'd imagine  ;)
    That's work done now until Wednesday so time to start getting ready
  • Thanks for the hotel advice.  There are no windows in my room (that was always made clear on the website... and it annoys me when some people score a hotel as 1 star after whinging that there were no windows.)  But there do seem to have been other problems recently.  That cotton wool is needed for the ears... but need to save some for my nose, if a number of reports are to be believed.  

Ian...  Tranmere is the one and only place I ever got seriously kicked in as a football fan!   I decided against going up to Preston.  It would all be too much of a rush, given that I have to set off early from S. Wales.  Shame though... I don't get many opportunities nowadays.
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ian - you'd be surprised!!! :lol:

My Tranmere supporting friend famously said, in all innocence, when discussing the notoriety of the Birkenhead docks area: "I've never knowingly come across a prostitute..." everyone couldn't speak for a good two minutes due to fits of laughter - he had no idea why...!!!

Incidentally, we were living in Preston at the time... which is where we did our degrees, at the Poly/Uni... hence my recognition of North End NE (we lived right next to Moor Park - so within spitting distance of North End)... small world!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Northender -Unfortunately we've had that element going to tranmere for as long as I can remember,it eased off when 52 got jailed but then came back again.
    Been to Preston many a time and had a few hairy moments going across the park by the ground.
    This has made me realise that next year I'll have been going for 40 years, bugger now I feel even older 
  • Hi All, Hope everyone is fit and healthy for Sunday :).....I have been reading for a while.... couple of quick questions on parking..... I am staying in M62 West Travelodge and was going to drive to tram then tram it in..... now thinking driving all the way in and parking at official car park N2 as I can pay on the day.... are the qs to get in and out of car parks long ? Can I walk direct to start line? If I don't have a bag why do I need to go to the athletes village beforehand? Cheers for any answers :)
  • Can't speak for the parking... hopefully this year they won't close all the roads that lead to the main car parks!  The only thing I can say is... if you don't need the baggage drop, then you don't need the athletes' village before the race.  have a good one
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/NorthEnder">NorthEnder</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Can't speak for the parking... hopefully this year they won't close all the roads that lead to the main car parks!  The only thing I can say is... if you don't need the baggage drop, then you don't need the athletes' village before the race.  have a good one</div>
    </blockquote>
    Cheers NE :) 
  • Ian5...  similar to me. Been going since the mid-seventies after supporting Chelsea for a year (I was 6, and they got to the cup final). Then a few years supporting Liverpool (sorry) after they reached the cup final in '71.   Then I saw the light.  Good luck with the play-off attempt.  I prefer the traditional teams to get back in... so hopefully Lincoln hold on (surely they  deserve it this year!)
  • First26point2 - haven't done the marathon before but did the HM last October, which had the same start point, and used the Man U car parks. Queues to get into N car parks were long (I was actually in E2 last year - but drove past very long queues to get into the N car parks). Getting out of all the car parks was OK... but I'm guessing that depends a bit on when you finish.

If you drive in along Village Way and Wharfside Way (you will need to turn into John Gilbert Way) the roads will be open no problem.

The walk to the start from the car parks is really easy - follow the crowds - but I notice that the pay on the day parking is in N3, which is the furthest away from the start, so you'll have a bit longer walk. As NE said - no need to go to the cricket ground if you're not dropping a bag.
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Little%20Nell">Little Nell</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><b>First26point2</b> - haven't done the marathon before but did the HM last October, which had the same start point, and used the Man U car parks. Queues to get into N car parks were long (I was actually in E2 last year - but drove past very long queues to get into the N car parks). Getting out of all the car parks was OK... but I'm guessing that depends a bit on when you finish.

If you drive in along Village Way and Wharfside Way (you will need to turn into John Gilbert Way) the roads will be open no problem.

The walk to the start from the car parks is really easy - follow the crowds - but I notice that the pay on the day parking is in N3, which is the furthest away from the start, so you'll have a bit longer walk. As <b>NE</b> said - no need to go to the cricket ground if you're not dropping a bag.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Cheers Nell..and good luck tomorrow.. that is really useful..... may tram it in to avoid any issues :)
  • Anybody else struggling to sleep?........Been up 2 hours ...... hope lack of sleep does not impact time tomorrow too much..... Volenteered as tail runner at my Local parkrun today..... then Match .... after that will try to keep off my feet...... Good luck to all runners tomorrow :)
  • Awake early too so drinking tea and painting nails! Nerves have kicked in  :o
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Are they taking the piss! !!!!!!
    The day before the race and they cancel the thing,what a f'ING joke
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Ian5">Ian5</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Are they taking the piss! !!!!!!
    The day before the race and they cancel the thing,what a f'ING joke</div>
    </blockquote>
    ...... you basturd!  Blind panic and googling everywhere .....then it clicked ........You will get a PB tomorrow ......as I will be chasing you with a stick
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
     :D:D:D  wasn't going to leave it too long as I knew people were getting trains today but couldn't help it. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's normal. You'll be fine.
    Quick mile around the block including drills and strides. Left glute and hip could be an issue tomorrow towards the end of the race but I'm not going to worry about it. I've had a niggly glute (high hamstring insertion) for a while now so I'll live with it.
    Safe travels, everyone.
  • DL34DL34 ✭✭
    Just packing for the long drive up and time for a dumb question. The chips are on the number, right? There's no separate shoe lace chip?
  • Did they not send you a separate shoe lace chip?
  • Nah...  it's on the back of your race number  :D
  • DL34DL34 ✭✭
    Haha thanks. I'm number 2743 in the green vest tomorrow by the way
  • Daz BromsDaz Broms ✭✭✭
    Nice 10 hour sleep last night, feeling good today. Heading upto hotel after the derby. Hope everyone's travel plans work out, see you all on the steps in the morning.  
  • Nerves have kicked in here too and also planning a nail painting session today Aber Snail. Keeping off my feet, doing a bit of work then planning to watch a trashy movie before an early night.

Weather is pretty miserable here today, but tomorrow should be perfect!

I'd get the tram First26point2 - they're reliable and it'll be far more relaxing than driving. 
  • You're welcome, First26point2!

Ian and NE - you're very naughty boys!!! :p

Ian - looks like the match wasn't much to write home about... but at least you got a win - even if it was an own goal!!!

Have messed up the timing of my eating... so having to delay my leg shake out until later this afternoon. Just going to do the drive into the car parks to make sure I can remember the way.

I'm hoping tomorrow's weather will be the same as this morning's weather - dull and overcast but no wind (yay!). It's really brightened up now - so this would be a bit too warm for my liking.

As Daz says... see you on the steps tomorrow morning! :smile:

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell -should have been over by half time but couldn't get another goal,a wins a win at this time of the season though 
  • Sun out and pretty sat near the window, but outside and still chilly in the air.
    Last run this morning close to race start area and it threw it down!!!!
    Forecast looks dry and sunny for tomorrow, bit cold though on the start like Imo. Mild headwind for the run out to Altrincham, but wind behind for the last mile.
    Massive nerves now, more so than when I was racing 10-15 years ago.

Good luck everyone
  • Ian - yep, always good to bank the points no matter how they come about. My guys have just managed to lose to Hull - compounding our graceful slide down the table.

Back from driving to Man U... if anyone else is driving in to the official (or even any unofficial) car parks - there are loads of roads works on the route, especially the exit slip from the M60, along Village Way and Wharfside Way close to the car parks. There are several places where the road goes down to one lane - so lots of pinch points and likely to be slow going tomorrow morning!

My body is rebelling and I've developed a massive headache, burning throat and grown a HUGE cold sore... which is usually indicative that I'm fighting a virus... boo!!! :angry: A very early night is in order!