Manchester Marathon 2017

Comments

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Rest up well tonight Nell!

I'm still about 90 mins or so away, had a nap in the car though so all good :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-Hope that's just maranoia and it doesn't turn into anything.So you're a dirty ammer fan... ;-) 
    Weather looks good for tomorrow, maybe a bit warm towards the end but should be good,main thing is little wind
  • Hotel not bad after all.  I'm not in the lap of luxury, but fortunately my experience, so far, is a lot better than Tripadvisor made me fear.   Been a bit breezy today here in Manchester.
    Picked up a race number for a family member who lands at Manchester airport at 7.35am tomorrow morning (!!) - and also had my own chip checked after my wife had an ironing accident and burned off a bit of my number!  
    Walked back from Tesco right past OT football ground at 4.39pm tonight. There were more people streaming out than at full time at Deepdale!  That was 14 minutes before the end.  Wow.
    Ian... like you say, a win is a win. I hadn't noticed that you'd sneaked so close to Lincoln's coat tails.
    Sleep well everyone....  see you tomorrow.
  • Hi Northender  ive managed to melt the bottom right hand manchester marathon logo with my iron. Wanted my number to look uncreased for photos!   Have not gone anywhere near the foam tags so should i be concerned ?   
  • Si CSi C ✭✭
    Nell
    Looks like we support the same team, for our sins.

Like you I feel run down over the last few days, calf and muscles are sore, headache and woke up with a large painful cold sore up my nose. Spose this is all part of the test, starting to think stuff the time i just want to finish.
    Wife dropping me off now from our hotel, hopefully wont be too bad a drive from rusholme.
  • I've always found illness is the downside of tapering. In my non-scientific thinking, my body has had weeks of training with blood being pumped round the body at a rate of knots cleaning itself out, only to now have two weeks of "normal" living !!!
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just popped back on here to make a list of numbers to look out for :smile:

Hope you've made it safely, Nick.

Ian - guilty as charged!

Si - if you make it to the Town Hall steps tomorrow morning we can bemoan the deterioration of the Irons' recent performances... at least we were safe before we started on our downward spiral.

You could be right, SQ - it was the same when I was a teacher... battle through to the end of term and then crash and burn in the first week of the school holidays.

Anyway... nighty night all - sleep well!
  • jkplatt... The iron did make brief contact with the top foam tag, and it is exposed.  But they tested it for me and it's ok.  He said that you'd probably be ok even if one was damaged - because they are duplicates...  but sometimes, if your at a bad angle, or get your arm in the way, they sometimes only get one of them giving a reading.  If you're convinced that the whole thing isn't going to disintegrate and you lose the chips, then I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Made it to the hotel safely. It's ok. No hot water right now so might smell on the start line lol

Have a great run tomorrow everyone
  • Back at the hotel, full of pasta and minus a chunk of tooth. Worry of toothache adding to the maranoia....

My race number is very creased but I clearly have low standards as it didn't occur to me to iron it!

Hope the germs don't turn into anything overnight and everyone manages to get a decent amount of sleep.
  • Daz BromsDaz Broms ✭✭✭
    Sitting in bed in hotel eating jam sandwiches and a banana , 6 months of training and it's finally time to complete one of my ambitions. Good luck everyone. 
  • Thanks Northerner   for calming me down    Hope you and all us runners have a great run  
  • 10 minutes left to go on the Metrolink - good luck everybody!! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Baggage area is way better than last year so should be no issues this time.good luck to all
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    I hope none of you were the chap who collapsed near me just after the 24m mark. looked in a bad way, I do hope he is okay. :(
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Great to meet a few of you at the start, hope you all had good races. 3:24:59 for me. Really happy with that even though I fell apart a bit last 6-7 miles.
  • 3:14 for me. Started to far forward, even though ran 4:20 for the first k (aim was 4:40), everyone was flying past me. The 3:15 pacer went by in a flash around 8 (?) miles and i was ready to chuck it in. Could not get going but eventually got to 13 feeling sluggish. Dug in from 16-20 and finally started catching people. Ran 1:40 1st half/1:34 2nd half. Flying between 20-finish. Saw a couple of people in a bad, specially at 21m.
    Recover well all.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shocker here, full report is in the shades thread,basically fell over someone who tripped and my legs were wrecked and injured,walked/hobbled the last 4 miles so came in 4:29,was going fine until then,dropped back from nell and coop as they were a bit fast for me by 11 miles,was still on for around 3:50 until then.
    Great running Nick and SQ ,massive pb for nick and running strong at the end is brilliant SQ.
    Some other good times floating around here also.
  • DPJ77DPJ77 ✭✭
    Definitely preferred the first half of the course to the second - those miles around 20 that went out through the countryside were tough and, baring a few heroic souls, pretty devoid of support! 

All went reasonably to plan for me: 2:47:21 - was on for a minute or so quicker, but last few miles were a battle (when are they not?!). 

Well done everyone - hope you all recover well. 
  • Daz BromsDaz Broms ✭✭✭
    Great to meet fellow Toilet lurkers, really made a good start to the day.  Start was bit of a nightmare, soooo crammed and couldn't work out where should have been but pleased with my first marathon time of 3:34, under 8:00 m/miles all the way to 17 miles where I felt sick and little light headed. Had to ease back and grit my teeth. Really happy with time and enjoyed the day but the heat, wow, wasn't expecting that. 
    Ian- nice meeting you mate, nightmare for you but think back to 1 week ago and I'm sure you would have been happy with your time, considering your injury and what happend , still a great time. 
    Anybody want to buy a Asics foil blanket lol. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Dpj-Great that you got what you wanted.
    Daz-That's a brilliant time for your first marathon,should be delighted with that.
  • Was fantastic to meet: Cal, Coops, Daz, Nick, Ian and OuchOuch at the start - the loo/steps lurking came off! :smiley:

Ahh - Ian... what a bummer!!! We wondered where you were as you were right there with us and then you weren't - sorry, didn't see you fall so weren't able to catch you :( Well done on finishing after that nightmare!

Great running everyone else - some excellent times posted. Well done on your negative split SQ. Brilliant PB there Nick!

A special HUUUUUUGGGGE thank you to the very wonderful Ms (soon to be Dr.) Coops who saw me through my first ever marathon with words of wisdom and chat up until 15 miles followed by gritty, determined support for the rest of the way. This resulted in me smashing my goal of sub-3:50 (GFA for London and also a BQ)... came in at 3:45:52!!! (pesky 53 seconds - could have got a sub-3:45). I'll let Coops give her report - but I will say she finished fastest for her real first name (out of 10 women) and I finished fastest for my real first name (out of 9 women) - woohoo!

Race report is pretty simple... ran bob on pacing throughout (11.2 km/hr for me) with a bit of a speed up for a fast (if not exactly sprint) finish of 11.3 km/hr. Hit half way at 1:51... exactly as recommended by the great Harmander Singh and continued to grind it out from there, slowing marginally in the second half for a small positive split.

I completely agree with DPJ - the section through Carrington was pretty soul destroying... except for the two ponies by the side of the road - they were quite cute!

I cannot believe I'm a marathon runner!!! :grin:
  • Daz - your post slipped in while I was typing mine...

Wow - that's a fantastic time for your first marathon... really well done, I'm so pleased for you. Party time tonight!? LOL

• Daz BromsDaz Broms ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nell, yes over the moon to be honest. You posted a fab time too all be it for them few seconds lol. The heat though, wow, so didn't want that. 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    SQ - I'm sure the 3:15 pacer was off too fast. Or maybe they were banking time for the harder 2nd half? They started about 30s ahead of me and I could see them for the first couple of miles but then lost them. And I was through half way under 3:14 pace so they should defo have been in sight! Well done on the speedy finish, you must have been one of the many who came past me in last 10k.

Ian - really sorry to hear that, as others have said nothing you can do about it sadly. Bet you're glad you did your track marathon now though!

DPJ/Daz/Nell - great times from you all, congrats!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nell-Brilliant running from yourself and coops, great pace and you also really enjoyed the event from what I could see and hear.Around 11 I felt I was trying to fight a bit hard to stay with you guys so decided to slow slightly.Had a quick look earlier and you were pretty high in your age cat I think.
  • Thanks guys!

Ian - yes... officially 41st FV45... but one of the people directly ahead of me is called "Carl". Don't want to judge ahead of time - but will have a nosey at the pics when they're available to see if the "female" Carl is actually a male who clicked the wrong option... which would make me top 40 - very happy with that!!!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    375th female overall also  :)
  • Ian, so sorry to hear about your fall! Well done for digging in and continuing in that condition. Great times Daz, DP, SQ, Nick!

I really had a lot of fun at Manchester today, it was great to meet the toilet lurkers. A huge, massive shout out to Nell who saved me when my Garmin played up and generally made this my most enjoyable marathon to date. We stuck together and chatted/ loved life/ shared a fantastic love of discussing splits and remaining miles to go. I dropped behind when I suffered a stitch at mile 20, but was able to slowly crawl my way back after a few miles. I was unable to talk by this point so it really was silent, gritty, determined support. In short, in what was a really hard, growl inducing mile I managed to throw myself over the line in 3:44:25. I am over the moon. Though very very tired. A great course, and very pleased to now have a PB on a correctly measure course :)

I love that we won out of the people with our names Nell! This should be a more widely recognised measure of achievement.  
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I haven't looked but I suspect I wasn't the fastest Nick...