VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Ellie16,
    My run/walk colleagues have two methods but both end up doing 12 minute miles.
    Some do 10/11 jog and 1 or 2 minute walking , the others do strict 5 min run and 1 min walk.
    Hope this helps.
  • As I am Race Directing tomorrow, I did 14.85 miles plus the Parkrun today - a total of 17.95 miles so I could get over the 700 mile mark in 90 days.

YTD = 701.44 miles

All things being equal, I should get to 800 before the VLM as hoped for.
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, only done a 10 mile run last week due to work and the recent incident in london. Resting the Achilles also. Decided to cross train this morning with a 30 mile bike ride instead. 17 mid week miles in total to do this week then 12 miles next Saturday. This marathon is getting close 
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    Indeed it is Spenno! 

20 miles done today which I am very pleased with, I've had a couple of crappy long runs and I was beginning to doubt myself, but this made me happy! Slow and steady with a couple of walking (and loo!) breaks, but all good.

Sub 5 hour is not going to happen, but I'm not bothered, will just do what I can on the day.
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Managed to get out and do a gentle 4 miles after my niggle with my right leg. Felt much better and fitness felt good too. Didn't get my 20 miles in this week. Just going to keep on working hard and get the runs in. My training plans say tapering starts no so I'm going to try and adhere to that. I managed 18 miles comfortably a few weeks so that some given me some confidence. Just can't believe it's 3 weeks away now 
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Really can't see me getting much sleep the night before the marathon. Will have to set atleast 10 alarms lol
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Got a call saturday lunchtime from a friend running in the 10km event at the Qld Half Marathon sunday morning asking if I could pace her to <55min. So despite having completely smashed legs after 37km on saturday morning, I agreed!

Rocked up in the morning and the weather was cool with a slight breeze and I felt ok (legs still a bit DOMsy - but bearably so). Was a very small field (<100 in 10km) so there was no congestion whatsoever. First few km's were easy and a little bit quick, but my partner was looking comfortable and in good spirits. By 4km we'd settled down to the designated 5:30/km pace and I wondered whether the early enthusiasm had been a mistake. A few words of encouragement and we just kept going despite the pace fading gradually. At 7km I whipped out my phone and took a quick 'action shot' for a memento and copped a flurry of abuse (friendly natured) for being far too comfortable. At 8km I turned and said, "2km to go - lets dig in and push hard"  - only to cop yet more abuse back.... The climb up to the bridge at 9km copped another mouthful of abuse, but afterwards I did manage to get my charge to put in a bit of an energetic spurt to cross the line strongly.

She finished with a time of 53:12 and was absolutely stoked. First time under 55 minutes after 3 years of various 10km events finishing 55:xx!

Job done   (I love pacing - its so much fun running completely within yourself in an event. I can completely understand why Harmander likes getting the VLM gig!!!!)
  • Lovely 12 miles along the canal on Saturday with the dog, lots of shorter runs now, enjoying this tapering phase ..... new charity shirt arrived and now come back from V.L.M. all printed up, looks great.
  • 20 miles in the bag yesterday, last long run for me until the big day. Good job too as I have a slight twinge/ache outside of my knee when I walk or even just bend my leg. After some research seems to match symptoms of IT band syndrome. I Hope its not too serious. Looks like I'm in for 3 weeks of foam rolling, stretching, strength exercises and very easy running for me - unless anyone has other suggestions?
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    22 miles last Sunday. Very slow. Not run since as we're away. I'm confident about getting round London although I think the chances of a PB are zero.
  • Been reading this thread with interest for a while and been very helpful. Would be very grateful for any advice!

This will be my first marathon and training had been going really well. 18 miles 3 weeks ago with no issues and felt really confident. Two weeks ago pain in upper right thigh which I've researched and think most likely a hip flexor issue, came on after 12 miles but I was able to finish my 15 miler and was fine for shorter runs the following week. Last week was 12 miles in to my longest run, was aiming for 20, when I had to stop as the pain was too much. Haven't run since and am now panicking whether 18 miles will be enough to get me through?

Was planning to rest until this sunday (which is driving me mad!) and then attempt the 20 mile again, albeit much slower than usual. My training plan is telling me to do 12 but I don't want to get to the start line without knowing if the pain is going to be too much by mile 12! Also worried about how much fitness I'm losing now by taking a week off. Help!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Katie - the same advice as before, don't try and do such a long run so close to the big day. There is no physiological benefit to be gained and if you're already carrying an injury, you risk making it worse and not making the start line.

Taking a week off now will not significantly impact the fitness you have built up over several months but will give your body a chance to heal. personally I would not even run 12 this weekend. You could try 7/8/9?

Any running you do now should be purely aimed at keeping things ticking over while you recover. Be positive - you have already banked an 18 miler.

Lastly - maybe consider some non impact cross training (swimming/cycling/gym) to maintain your fitness if the injury is still painful?

• Thanks Gladrags that does make perfect sense, I guess it's a bit of a gamble as the more I rest the more it will heal, but if I don't run I won't know if it's healed - if you see what I mean! But people tell me the adrenaline and the crowds will get me through, will just have to ignore voices in my head that keep telling me to get my trainers on...

I can't feel any pain walking and only a slight twinge whilst stretching so hopefully it's not too bad.

Will have to dig the cycle out from the back of the shed thanks for your advice!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Katie - definitely don't do 20 this weekend. Even without an injury, I would do a maximum of 15 ish at this stage. 18 miles will be fine to get you to the end. You might get a better time if you did more and/or longer runs, but a) you can't change that now so there's no point worrying about it and b) 99% of the people on the start line will be thinking they would be more confident if they had done more long runs.

If you did no running between now and the day, it wouldn't have much effect on your ability to get round - you've done all the hard training already and won't lose that fitness in a short time. The most important thing over the next couple of weeks is to make sure you get to the start line in one piece.
  • Completely agree with Nick... I'm really well conditioned this year, with quite a few 20 milers under my belt, along with months and months of decent mileage, and even with that resilience in my legs, I will be dropping to 15 miles this weekend, and 10 max next weekend... not only is 20 miles this late a big injury risk, it will also still be in your legs come race day... take it easy, and roll with the training you've already done!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Nick and Magna you've made me feel so much better thank you. Just what I needed to hear. Did have ambitious ideas of a sub-4 in my head but all that counts now is getting there and finishing before they start clearing up!
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as you Katie. Sounds like we're on the same training plan too. Done 18 and felt really comfortable and felt I could do more. Been struggling with my right leg so been resting it last week. Was at the Physio on Friday and I've been out Sunday Tuesday and Wednesday and felt no ill effects so far. I'm meant to be doing 12 miles at the weekend but I've signed up for a kilomathon on Sunday so I'll be doing that instead. I think I'll just continue doing shorter distances and just try and be ready for the big day. Hope it goes well for you. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

FWIW I cross trained for the last 3 weeks of training for my first marathon - and still made it to the finish line in one piece and smiling!

• You will all be fine, just plan the celebrations for later - trust me and meet me at the RW Stand at the Expo - I intend to be there from 3:00pm till late on weekdays.
  • Looking for some advice! Running my first marathon in London this year. I completed the eton dorney half marathon in fairly windy conditions in 1h45 with my first 10k just sub 45mins (so guess I can use that as a 10k race reference point worst case). I plan to hang on to the tails of one of the pacers in VLM 2017 as find that takes away the panic of some weird readings coming out of my garmin every so often and find following someone helps prevent slippage. So my question is, what is a realistic time. I think some of the online marathon predicts are quite optimistic and read various reviews on them saying they are too fast. Have followed a tag prog and never missed the long run at the weekend but struggle to fully complete all the mid week runs so my mileage is more in the 30-40mile area which is light I know. Typical week more like 3-4 sessions plus a PT session to focus on some strength/glute activation stuff. Plan is to try and go sub 4hrs but am wondering if I should go off with the 3:45 pacer and cling on as long as I can or go off at 4hrs and try and feel strong second half. My fear is that I am going to die last quarter anyway so may as well have some time in the bank and slog it out. But is that too optimistic. love to hear any views. thanks! Jon
  • Hi Jon,

I use the Mcmillan race time predictor and it has been absolutely spot on for me recently. Putting your times into that based on your 10k time it give you a prediction of just over 3.31. How many 20 mile runs have you managed? Assuming you've managed a couple in recent weeks and that you're in the same condition you are when you ran the half then you should be fine. I'd go for 3.45 at least if I was in your shoes and would greatly consider the 3.30. It all depends if you want to really push yourself I suppose. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Jon, just be aware that the pacers are like pied pipers at London, there will be a glut of runners right behind them. A better approach might be to try to stay in front of one or maybe just behind but in sight of one. Even better, pacing isn't difficult - work out your target time, get a pace band from the Lucozade stand at the expo (free), start your watch when you cross the start line and just check each mile that your elapsed time roughly matches the pace band. Simple and doesn't need a GPS watch or any complicated calculations. Your Garmin will get a bit confused at some points (e.g.- Canary Wharf), so you want a nice simple method. 30-40 miles pw isn't bad at all, there will be many, many people there who haven't put those kind of miles in. BTW, don't try to "bank time" too much - it may feel like a sensible thing to do, but it will have the opposite effect to what you want, it just means that you've run the faster miles faster than optimal and used up more energy than you needed to . The closer you can get to even splits, the better - it's your first marathon, and a marathon is a tough distance, so whatever your target pace is, divide by 26.2 and head off at that pace and keep to it. Going out too fast to "bank time" is probably the most common (and easiest) mistake people make, it inevitably leads to a zombie death march along the embankment if not before. Having said that, you've put in the miles and your 10K time suggests that 3:45 is doable, so I would aim for that pace, and see how you feel at 20 miles - if you're lucky enough to still feel good then you can push it a little faster?
     Good luck!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Jon - in short 3:45 looks like a reasonable target. It sounds like you went off a bit too quickly in your half (first 10k at 4:30ish per km, last 11.1k at 5:25ish per km). Make sure you don't set off too fast in the marathon or the last few miles will be very unpleasant - you should feel very comfortable at half way for example.

As a side note, I was in a very similar situation to you last year - London was my first marathon, I had run a 1:47 half in the buildup and wondered if 3:45 might be realistic but sub 4 , ended up with 3:59 and had a decent race really. I started in pen 9 and probably lost a few minutes due to the crowds but on the other hand it did help me to not go off too fast.
  • Good advice Rodeoflip.
    As a pacer I tend to use 26.5 miles as the distance to run as the official distance is marked by the three blue lines but we all get carried away and weave in and out -jostled even -this also builds in the bank time without realising it.
    Hope this helps. 
  • Hi all

Please could some of you good people provide me with some pacing advice for a first time marathon runner, running the VLM in a few weeks?

I have been been following a 16 week sub 3:30:00 plan but running a little faster (slow runs @ 8:40, steady @ 8:15, mp sessions @ 7:50).

Should I stick to 8:00 and try and increase the pace in the last 4miles or try and run the whole thing at 7:45? I am aware the start can be slow because of the crowds.

Thanks!

Stats: 5k 19:30, 10k 42:30 , half marathon 1:31:20
  • If it were me - I'd go for 8 min miles and yes if you're feeling good you can lift the pace in the last few miles.
    Far better to do that than go out too fast and have your legs drop off. 

3.30 looks a sensible target - and 3.15 would be too much of a stretch - so aim for 3.30 and you should achieve it.  Aiming for 3.15 probably means you'd miss even 3.30.

Good luck.
  • marcopolo83,

The pacers will aim to finish within 90 seconds under the time on their flags - it gives those following a chance to beat the time too - although we try to get close to the actual chip time ourselves - it's just that it is a big no no to go over the stated time - even by a second.
    Pacers try to maintain an even pace throughout - no loo breaks or waiting for stragglers etc.
    It really does not matter about the time you actually cross the start line as the race is chip timed but I accept the competitive (but unfit) among the starters can cause some disruption to the mins/mile average pace - this usually gets sorted out by the second mile. If you are following a pacer, remember s/he is going to go by THEIR watch, not yours. 
    I suspect my 3:30 colleagues will be going at about 7:55 a mile pace but I obviously cannot speak on their behalf (my 3:30 marathon days are a distant memory).
    Why not come and talk to them at the RW stand at the EXPO. 

03:30 Matt Dunn
    03:30 James Murray
    03:30 Johan Olivier
    03:30 Jan Der Hartog
    03:30 Ian Roots

Matt & James are Red Start
    Johan & Jan are Blue Start
    Ian is Green Start

Hope this helps

Harmander - 4:58 pacer - Blue Start
  • Marcopolo83,
    Depending on when your stats were achieved (ten years ago is not much use), all things being equal, in my opinion you will be able to do 3:26 at VLM.
    Please let us all know how you get on